IGNORED

Recommend a soldering iron?

russg

OK thank you. I will order separately a desolder pump. Any recommendations?

There are desolder pumps with an iron and rubber bulb. I don't prefer those. The one I like is a tube-like item with a push-down plunger and a button

trigger to trip it. The rubber bulb type, I don't know how you hold the iron on the solder joint and operate the bulb at the same time.

With the plunger type, you hold your iron or heat blower on the joint until it melts with one hand and operate the plunger with the other hand.

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

I'm going to order the "898D+ 2in1 SMD Rework Soldering Hot Air Station Welder ESD 11 Tips BGA Nozzles" from eBay. Cheapest I found is $75 shipped from the US, so I won't have to wait 2-4 weeks from China. Here's the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200966083516?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You may want to watch this then, quite lengthy but also a very detail teardown and review....

Edited by atari8warez

Rosin flux can be dissolved with isopropyl alcohol, but the alcohol acts as a thinner so the flux will re-deposit as the alcohol evaporates leaving the board sticky. I usually scrub with alcohol, then follow with a Windex scrub to suspend the flux as I rinse the board (only if you can get the board stripped down enough to wash it). Then I follow with compressed air and a hair dryer to remove the water. If you don't care about cosmetics, just leave the rosin or no-clean flux on the board. Water soluable flux must be washed off as it is acidic.

No clean flux still leaves a mess, but it's guaranteed to be inert.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a great price. His feedbacks are low, let us all know how it worked out for you.

Apparently, 898D's from other sellers all went down in the $57/58 price range. I'm guessing a newer model was released? Or perhaps a huge stock-load was bought?

Interesting topic. I've never used a adjustable soldering iron. I started in to electronics as a hobby when I was 7, and 40 years later still use a basic iron, a 25 watt Weller that I've had probably 20 years now. While I would like to recommend it, Weller products of today are of inferior quality from everything I've seen and read about them. And even the tips sold for the old irons don't hold up as well. I also have a 30+ year old 8200D from back when they were made right. But now the tips sold fail in short order and I've heard all sorts of bad stuff about the current version of the 8200.

So I'm looking at some of the recommendations here and thinking about maybe getting a adjustable solder station also. I just bought a butane soldering iron last week, seems nice enough, but I won't want to use it around delicate stuff. I got it more for outdoor or if I have to fix something in a blackout..

Ok, random thought over:)

I picked up a Weller WES51 a few years ago and havn't had any problems with it. I would estimate that I've soldered about 10,000 joints with it in that time. The tip is still in excellent condition. I think it's durability would be fine for the typical hobbyist.

• Like 1

Rosin flux can be dissolved with isopropyl alcohol, but the alcohol acts as a thinner so the flux will re-deposit as the alcohol evaporates leaving the board sticky. I usually scrub with alcohol, then follow with a Windex scrub to suspend the flux as I rinse the board (only if you can get the board stripped down enough to wash it). Then I follow with compressed air and a hair dryer to remove the water. If you don't care about cosmetics, just leave the rosin or no-clean flux on the board. Water soluable flux must be washed off as it is acidic.

No clean flux still leaves a mess, but it's guaranteed to be inert.

The no clean flux helps seal the solder joint against oxidation, helping slow the lead free solder and some poorly formulated solder from developing the tin whiskers that short things out over time...

I picked up a Weller WES51 a few years ago and havn't had any problems with it. I would estimate that I've soldered about 10,000 joints with it in that time. The tip is still in excellent condition. I think it's durability would be fine for the typical hobbyist.

I also have that model - but the one with digital temp selection. I've had no issues with it or the tips. ALWAYS keep your tips clean, and covered in a lump of solder when not in use (when hot and in the holder). It will quickly oxidize, which protects the tip. It also forces you to clean the tip before using it again.

That is a great price. His feedbacks are low, let us all know how it worked out for you.

Got it today via Federal Express. Came with everything in the picture. Haven't soldered anything yet, but turned it on and tested all the buttons. Seems to work. Interestingly, check the eBay link I posted in post #58. He raised the price from $58 shipped to $158. Something is up.

Edit: So if anyone knows how to change Celsius to Fahrenheit please let me know. Only skimmed through the manual but didn't see it.

Edited by Zap!

[°C] = ([°F] - 32) × 5/9

[°F] = [°C] × 9/5 + 32

I didn't ask how to convert C to F, or vice versa. I can do that but don't want to have to. I want the machine to do it for me. My heat fan has the option to switch, as does my thermometer and everything else. :)

• Like 1

He raised the price from $58 shipped to $158. Something is up.

He may have forgotten to type the "1" in front of "58" the first time around.... LOL

I've bought the following during the past few days, the hot air station will hopefully make my SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB assembly process much faster and I will keep the soldering station around for occasional hand soldering. Chose to have two separate units mainly for space savings on my desk, and if one is broken in the future the other one can still be used, also each came with some nice extras that i couldn't simply ignore LOL...

Both units had 5 star reviews from their owners, but we will see, time will tell, both cost me around $100US

post-15627-0-63315400-1415916322_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-72011000-1415916345_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the above equipment.... I've been using both during the last week for assembling my SIO2PC devices and so far they both work beautifully, they haven't had any problems on arrival and didn't develop any so far. The recovery time on the soldering iron isn't probably the fastest but it sure is better than my pencil type. My only complaint so far is the Engrish user guides but there isn't really a whole lot to be read from them anyway. So for the money i spent on them I am pretty happy so far.

Edited by atari8warez

• 3 weeks later...

There are desolder pumps with an iron and rubber bulb. I don't prefer those. The one I like is a tube-like item with a push-down plunger and a button

trigger to trip it. The rubber bulb type, I don't know how you hold the iron on the solder joint and operate the bulb at the same time.

With the plunger type, you hold your iron or heat blower on the joint until it melts with one hand and operate the plunger with the other hand.

I have the bulb type and it is a pain. Easy to end up burning yourself or something else because of the unwieldy jostling around.

• 5 years later...
4 minutes ago, manterola said:

Hmm, difficult to say, but it smells like scam....

Because, if you take a closer look to the professional sellers, you´ll see, they sell it for around US $55.60 + S/H US $37.07

-> BAKU BK-601D 110V SMD Brushless Heat Gun Soldering Iron Station with Stand 700W

Gtx.,

andY