IGNORED

The 100 Greatest Console Video Games: 1977-1987

Hey everyone,

My latest book, The 100 Greatest Console Video Games: 1977-1987, is now available for pre-order. It's a hardcover, full-color book from Schiffer Publishing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764346180/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&tag=atariage&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0764346180&linkCode=as2

There have been many top 100 books before, but rarely one like this. Here are the best of the early video games, shown in over 400 color photos and described in incredible detail in the entertaining and informative text. Each game's chapter features production history, critical commentary, quotes from industry professionals, gameplay details, comparisons to other games, author anecdotes, and more.

The 100 Greatest Console Video Games: 1977-1987 celebrates the very best of the interactive entertainment industry's games from this highly crucial, fondly remembered decade. This pivotal period was marked by the introduction of the indispensable Atari 2600, Odyssey2, and Intellivision, the unleashing of the underrated Vectrex, the mind-blowing debut of the next-gen ColecoVision and Atari 5200, plus the rebirth of the industry through Nintendo's legendary juggernaut, the NES. Whether you're young or old, new to the hobby or a hardcore collector, this book will introduce you to or remind you of some of the greatest, most historically important games ever made.

As always, thanks for reading!

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Phoenix is mentioned (guy with 2 posts)

Sample pages are now available. You can read the "Stampede" chapter for free:

The book is great, and I'm really enjoying my copy which arrived today. The years you chose are perfect! '77 to '87 captures a magical time and allowing it to run to '87 sort of completes a chapter in console gaming before we get to the truly "next-gen" games that appeared on the NES.

There are some choices I disagree with, but it is great to get your opinion on these. Personally, I think that Beamrider is a lot more fun than some of the other games in the book, and it is also solid across multiple systems. I'd easily include it before games like Air Sea Battle, Freeway or Carnival. I really need to play Carnival more on Coleco because wow, that game did not impress. Omitting Megamania in favor of Carnival - sheesh. I also think Pro Wrestling would have found its way somewhere into the 200 games mentioned in the book if I was writing.

However, you make some "risky" decisions that I also agree with. Including Commie Mutants will probably get some negative comments, but I think it belongs on the list. I also really like the way you described 7800 Galaga which deserves to be here. While fans of Intellivision (like me) appreciate Diner there are some who will wonder what it is doing here. I also like Turmoil, Stampede, and Solar Fox, but others might wonder how they beat out games like Seaquest, Frostbite, and Gauntlet.

But anyway, the point of these is to create discussion and provoke thought, so I love it. I also now need to investigate the Arcadia which I've never even seen in real life.

As far as the ones that I think people will really complain about: I'd say Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Tarmin, and Cloudy Mountain are some huge titles you passed on, but after reading the preface, I think I understand why they aren't in the top 100 (I guess).

I'd really be interested in reading any writing you did that didn't make it in the book. Did you have to edit the pages and text down to "fit?"

Thanks for your thoughtful comments--I'm glad you are enjoying the book!

It was tough narrowing down the choices down to 100, which is one reason I including The Next 100 honorable mentions appendix at the back of the book, where you'll find Gauntlet, Beamrider, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! and some other great games that didn't quit make the cut.

I love MegaMania, but Carnival has more strategy (BONUS, shooting the pipes early, avoiding the negatives, shooting the 10 boxes, etc.), but as you say, these are definitely subjective opinions. One reason I included quotes from other sources is so readers would get a variety of opinions on the games and not just mine.

No, I didn't have to edit the pages and text down to fit, but if you want to read more of my writing, check out the following links. Just click on the cover to each book, and you can read some sample pages, including a feature article on Alien for the Atari 2600:

http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Pop-Culture-Atari-Zombie-ebook/dp/B00HBTTTYQ/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Home-Video-Games-1972-1984/dp/0786469382/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Home-Video-Games-1985-1988/dp/0786469374/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Thanks for reading!

Edited by 8bitgamer
  • Like 1

Hey everyone,

My latest book, The 100 Greatest Console Video Games: 1977-1987, is now available for pre-order. It's a hardcover, full-color book from Schiffer Publishing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764346180/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&tag=atariage&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0764346180&linkCode=as2

There have been many top 100 books before, but rarely one like this. Here are the best of the early video games, shown in over 400 color photos and described in incredible detail in the entertaining and informative text. Each game's chapter features production history, critical commentary, quotes from industry professionals, gameplay details, comparisons to other games, author anecdotes, and more.

The 100 Greatest Console Video Games: 1977-1987 celebrates the very best of the interactive entertainment industry's games from this highly crucial, fondly remembered decade. This pivotal period was marked by the introduction of the indispensable Atari 2600, Odyssey2, and Intellivision, the unleashing of the underrated Vectrex, the mind-blowing debut of the next-gen ColecoVision and Atari 5200, plus the rebirth of the industry through Nintendo's legendary juggernaut, the NES. Whether you're young or old, new to the hobby or a hardcore collector, this book will introduce you to or remind you of some of the greatest, most historically important games ever made.

As always, thanks for reading!

I love your book. It is beautiful!

Great work, Wolfy

Thanks, everyone!

Reviews for The 100 Greatest Console Video Games: 1977-1987 are starting to come in. You can check them out some of them here:

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/books/100greatest.htm

http://rosepetals1984.booklikes.com/post/984265/review-100-greatest-console-video-games-1977-1987-by-brett-Weiss

How is it possible that The Video Game Critic had never heard of Balloon Fight?

Whoever "Rosepetals1984" is, they lost cred as a self-dubbed "retrogamer" by totally whiffing on a reference to Spy Hunter, calling it "Spy Games" and then explaining its existence as a forerunner to MegaRace. Um, how about RoadBlasters if you want to make a more modern comparison.

How is it possible that The Video Game Critic had never heard of Balloon Fight?

Whoever "Rosepetals1984" is, they lost cred as a self-dubbed "retrogamer" by totally whiffing on a reference to Spy Hunter, calling it "Spy Games" and then explaining its existence as a forerunner to MegaRace. Um, how about RoadBlasters if you want to make a more modern comparison.

Yeah, I was surprised that The Video Game Critic hadn't heard of a black box NES title, but these things slip through the crack sometimes--he reviews a lot of new stuff, too, so I guess it's hard to keep up with everything.

Spy Games, ha ha. Oh well, at least she admitted that "many of those listed were new to me, and an apt history lesson"

Yeah, I was surprised that The Video Game Critic hadn't heard of a black box NES title, but these things slip through the crack sometimes--he reviews a lot of new stuff, too, so I guess it's hard to keep up with everything.

Spy Games, ha ha. Oh well, at least she admitted that "many of those listed were new to me, and an apt history lesson"

Yeah, I'm far less surprised that someone who doesn't review video games got a little mixed than someone who's supposed to be a reviewer/critic not knowing a pretty standard title.

• 2 weeks later...

How many pages are occupied by "Adventure"? :)

All games have a 2 - 3 page entry. Adventure splits the difference and gets 2.5 pages. IMO you won't really learn anything new about your favorite games from the book besides maybe seeing some quick quotes of reviews from the era. Buy it for those games that you don't already have encyclopedic knowledge of.