IGNORED

100,000 minutes of Kaboom!

Albert

Frequent visitors to AtariAge may know about our weekly gameplay tracker, started by AtariAge member cvga in 2008 and continued by thegoldenband since 2010. Participants in the tracker simply log the amount of time they spend playing games on pre-modern platforms (i.e. anything up to the Dreamcast), and the numbers are then totaled each week to see which games and consoles have gotten the most time.

One of our members, Atarian7, has been on a quest to reach the maximum possible score of 999,999 points in the game Kaboom!. He's come very close in the past, logging a score of 928,982 in April 2012, and his prowess has even earned praise from Larry Kaplan, the game's designer.

As of this week, he reached a tremendous milestone, and has now logged over 100,000 minutes of Kaboom since the tracker was founded. That's more than two months of continuous play! Will Atarian7 reach 999,999 points before he reaches 999,999 minutes?

Thanks to thegoldenband for bringing this to my attention, as well as writing up the above news item!

• Like 14

How did you do two months straight of game play?

I believe the intent is to state that he has played Kaboom! a total of 100,000 minutes through all his various tries at reaching 999,999. The total minutes if added together equates to about 2 months of playing the game - but was not done so consecutively, rather through numerous different attempts at reaching the goal.

See an example of one of his postings here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207074-what-have-you-actually-played-tracker-for-2013-season-6/?do=findComment&comment=2671485

• Like 2

I believe the intent is to state that he has played Kaboom! a total of 100,000 minutes through all his various tries at reaching 999,999. The total minutes if added together equates to about 2 months of playing the game - but was not done so consecutively, rather through numerous different attempts at reaching the goal.

See an example of one of his postings here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207074-what-have-you-actually-played-tracker-for-2013-season-6/?do=findComment&comment=2671485

You've got it. I wouldn't have expected that this would be misunderstood, but I guess we should change it to "That's the equivalent of more than two months of continuous play!"

• Like 3

Master Phruby, I'm not sure why you're having a hard time following this, but:

1) Atarian7 has logged over 100,000 minutes (on our gameplay tracker) playing Kaboom over the last 6 years. This has happened over the course of hundreds of sessions, spanning from late 2008 until this past week.

2) During one of those sessions in April 2012, he scored 928,982 points. (That week, he played for a total of 763 minutes.) That's his high score to date.

3) The "399 minutes" post is just one example from this year, and has no particular relevance to his high score.

4) Reaching the maximum score of Kaboom takes about 3 hours, from what I understand, so no single game can take much longer than that (though the game automatically pauses between rounds).

Does that make sense now?

• Like 1

That's almost a man-year of labor (1,667 man-hours), in six years. So, assuming a 40 hour work week or 8 hours per day monday thru friday, with an hour for shower-sh..-breakfast, an hour for lunch, an hour for dinner, 8 hours of sleep, sex life and family stuff all day saturday, and Sundays off of course.

Then there's Poker night/Bridge night/Bowling night, Boy Scout and PTA meetings, grocery shopping, laundry, two hours of TV every day, commuting to work, yard work, walking the dog or cleaning the litter box, buying light bulbs and toothpaste, checking in with Mom and Dad and the siblings, beer runs, and answering telemarketing phone calls.

After ALL THAT, Kaboom! still gets over an hour every single day!

• Like 2

Yes, very impressive!

As a relative newcomer to the tracker (since July last year), I can add that by participating in it, you easily triple or quadruple the amount of time you previously spent on playing retro games. I went from playing one game every second month to at least an hour a week of random games. I suppose in that way it is a bit like start exercising, once you get going you can't imagine why you didn't start doing it sooner.

• Like 2

Yes, I strongly encourage folks to consider joining us on the tracker! It really does transform how you look at your gaming, or at least it has for me. I've been logging my own times since the start of 2010, and it's brought a mindfulness to my gameplay that has, in turn, added a lot to my enjoyment.

• Like 2