IGNORED

2609 RF Screenshots. Should I video mod?

exodave

I'm afraid I'm going to waste my time and end up destroying the picture so let's fight about this some more :grin: (sorry)

Here's what she looks like through a vcr and into a video capture device. I do notice some ghosting and the wavy variations in the background. It's not breaking my heart. Am I wasting my time removing the RF and going direct video output via one of the approved mod methods?

I just prefer the idea of ditching the VCR for a cleaner more modern setup.

12936567695_5912f14fc2_o.jpg

12936569385_0864f579f0_o.jpg

I'd say that's about what my Intellivision looks like with my TV. Not perfect, but certainly more than presentable and playable.

I dunno. I've thought about modding my various RF systems to have A/V but I have a 2600, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, TG16, etc. I'm not much good with a soldering iron and to pay someone to mod all my systems for me would cost a fortune. I think I'll just keep living with them as is.

Depends if you can live with yourself by ripping open a classic vintage system and modify it. I have on all my own vintage consoles with the idea of using them instead of collecting them, so I AV modded away. Also being handy with a soldering iron will help or as ls650 mentioned a mod will cost a fortune.

Check here (or my thread) for removing the RF box which introduces the ghosting. And as for which AV mod to use, I donno but there's the wiki.intellivision.us and Solar Fox circuit.

Whatever you do, enjoy and have fun! icon_winking.gificon_thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, everyone. I haven't made a decision yet. I really don't mind making a learning experience, especially if it appears I'll be able to reverse the process in the event of unfavorable results. Don't be too surprised if you see a new thread in a couple weeks with me crying about wrecking my $10 investment.

One quick question - With the RF module gone, would I still need the shielding all the way round the logic board?

The screen shots look pretty fine to me. In my experience, many of the mods will not have such a high level of quality due to ghosting and waving. I would recommend to leave it as it is. Cheers!

Really? With the 7805 and RF Box removal, I thought the ghosting and wavyness went away. Even with my 'Shunt' Circuits, the amount of ghosting as greatly reduced compared to RF output.

Edited by ZarK

Thanks for the input, everyone. I haven't made a decision yet. I really don't mind making a learning experience, especially if it appears I'll be able to reverse the process in the event of unfavorable results. Don't be too surprised if you see a new thread in a couple weeks with me crying about wrecking my $10 investment.

One quick question - With the RF module gone, would I still need the shielding all the way round the logic board?

Probably not, but if your going to button up the system for good after any mods, I'd put the shield on just to have a more complete setup. Also, with the shield it should outlast any post-apocalyptic EMP type events ;D

• 4 weeks later...

I did the mod, and it looked great on an old 13" CRT, but I hooked it up to a Samsung LED HDTV and wasn't impressed with the image. It wasn't terrible, but it seemed a little blurrier than the RF, and the colors were washing together a bit. So, I reinstalled the RF to confirm and came to the same conclusion. I think I'll probably just stick with the RF at this point.

Edited by exodave

Yeah the current Intellivison composite mod stinks on ice. I tried it before and it looked horrible on most of my televisions. Maybe in the future someone will develop something better. For now you'll get a better picture just using a coaxial cable and a ferrite choke.

Edited by thecrypticodor
  • Like 1

Yeah the current Intellivison composite mod stinks on ice. I tried it before and it looked horrible on most of my televisions. Maybe in the future someone will develop something better. For now you'll get a better picture just using a coaxial cable and a ferrite choke.

Which one did you try?

Check out this thread http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222037-finally-got-an-intellivision/?p=2932753

Which one did you try?

Check out this thread http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222037-finally-got-an-intellivision/?p=2932753

This one http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Intellivision_Composite_Video_Modification

post-7278-0-80374600-1393284370.png

I haven't seen this other one before can any one vouch for it?

Edited by thecrypticodor