IGNORED

Least Favorite INTV Game?

From the least favorites lists already mentioned, I actually like:

• Auto Racing

Well, for the record, I was complaining about two player mode. Single player, it was kinda fun, if you had the version that let you steer by pushing in the direction you wanted to go, as opposed to steering relative to the direction the car appears on the screen.

• Mouse Trap

I actually kinda liked it, but both it and LadyBug were solidly in the middle of the pack for me.

• Like 1

Star Strike ranks pretty high (or is it low?) on my least favorite list. On the easier levels it's too easy and after winning the game I'm left with a feeling of, "That's it??" I never cared enough to try to get good at the harder levels. The payoff after winning is too small.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but I also rank Frog Bog as one of my least favorite games. I just find it so tedious. In fact, I hate it when I buy a lot on eBay and Frog Bog is in it. I'm like, "Ugh, not another Frog Bog." I never had this game as a kid and over the years I heard what an awesome and unique game it was. I found it to be a huge let-down once I finally did get to play it. Maybe it's more fun with two people.

At least Space Hawk has a useful Mattel shell that can be recycled. Donkey Kong is just an absolute waste of space....I keep one to show people a comparison to DK Arcade, and laugh at it, but I've decided to throw out multiple copies of it.

I hated Space Hawk, but have a new found respect for it when i found out it was based on that dog 'Meteor'.

• Like 1

I actually liked Ice Trek. I was never as good at it as my brother, but it just seemed to be "weirdly cool." After all, how many games penalize you for hitting something? You hit one of those caribou, and a Norse goddess comes out to kick your arse! That said, the ice-bridge stage is hell to play on a keyboard in an emulator. :-P

Now I'm sure Carl and co. will shudder when I say that the Coleco Donkey Kong wasn't that horrible. It was bad, sure, but there were far worse games for the system. Carl's rendition is light years better, no doubt. But still, I could bring myself to play the Coleco Donkey Kong back then. Carnival, Math Fun, and a few others, though, I just simply could not stand.

Someone mentioned Frog Bog: Yep, this game is tedious. But, even on "automatic" mode (where the frog jumps between fixed positions on the pads, and can't crash into the water), it still has a Zen-like simplicity. Sure, it seems like more of a demo than a fully fledged game. I still have fond memories of playing it with my brother when we were both very young, and again with my sister years later. (She's 10yrs younger than me, born after the Big Crash of '83.) So on that score, it gets a pass from me.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 1

I never had Ice Trek as a kid, so I guess that's why I don't have fond memories of it. I did enjoy Donkey Kong, Frog Bog, and Math Fun as a kid. I played Frog Bog with my sisters quite a bit. (I couldn't convince them to play Math Fun with my nerdy self, though.)

So here's a suggestion, let's vote on the least favourite games from our childhood. Who cares whether we enjoy it now or not, some of us put up with really bad crap back in the day for the sake of not knowing any better, and well, because they were video games. We were kids, and easily entertained. It seems that whatever we stood to play as a kid, stuck and made some sort of impression.

Now, if there was a video game that an 8-year-old child couldn't even stand in the 1980s--that must have been quite a bomb. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Actually, Coleco's Donkey Kong was one of their better games, with their best being Donkey Kong Jr. I also think their rendition of Zaxxon is pretty decent, not as a port of Zaxxon, of course; but one of their better games.

I don't think I actually hated any of the games I had as a kid… But poker and blackjack definitely got the least amount attention from me. But then I've never liked playing cards anyway.

Probably Space Armada from me: it seemed too slow and clunky compared to the "real" space invaders. And now that I think of it, I actually don't have it among my 103 strong collection!! I guess I may get to 124 games before getting this one! :P

Edited by roberto

Never cared for Space Hawk - seems like many agree. As far as ones mentioned that I thought were good are Horse Racing, AD&D Tarmin (one of my favorites as well), Frog Bog (lots of fun w/2 people and not a long game), and Space Battle (one of my 1st 3-games w/Soccer & Poker).

dZ, radar screen in Space battle is important because it allows you to see how close enemy ships are to your base and how close your ships are to encountering enemy if you deployed multiple squadrons. And if your Squadron(s) have met up with enemy ships, you can switch to that space battle before your squadron is defeated without an actual Space Battle.

Side Note: does anyone else remember the channel 11 game based exactly on Space Battle fight screen where you had to say "pix" I believe in order to fire and kill as many Space aliens within 30 seconds I believe? Anyways, I can never forget that because it was Intellivision Space Battle and they just had the cross-hair in the middle of the screen and contestants would yell pix when they wanted to fire - pretty nostalgic for me.

• Like 2

Least favorite is Vectron, because although the graphic/animation work was great, the gameplay was too confusing.

After that, the least favorites would be

1. Roulette - mechanics were very accurate so I learned how the game was played, but I felt like there was no "skill" to the game.

2. Donkey Kong - for all the reasons that made D2K a must-buy.

I played/owned most of the original 125 when they were "new" so I think it was hard to hate a game that cost about $50 per when I was a kid, we played it until we liked it. :)

I know some others don't like it, but I've always loved Frog Bog.

It has also been a great "party game". People who have never played Intellivision get pulled in by playing that game. Other good games haven't had the same effect.

I love Frog Bog! Different levels provide a fun challenge and it is also a great party game as well. Besides, it was the best thing in the movie Grandma's Boy! :D

Going back to being a kid, I hated Blockade Runner especially the sound effects. Never cared too much for Space Armada either. I played DK quite a bit back then and it's only really crappy when compared to the other versions available. On it's own merit, it's not that awful.

I got a lot of fun out of Ice Trek, and despite what the sentiment here is, I really, really loved Vectron. But, I do concede that Vectron is a pretty strange game and rather abstract.

Most of the ratings on my site are heavily biased to how I felt about the games when I played them as a callow yoot. :P Some came along much later, as many of the INTV sports titles didn't grace my consoles until the late 90s / early 2000s, and I've mostly held off reviewing the newer games. Not because I don't care but mainly because IMO giving a fair review requires at least a few dozen solid hours of playtime to really try to 'master' the game to some degree, and the hours, they just aren't easy to come by.

To chime in on a few others:

• Frog Bog: Loved the time passage and crickets. We had lots of fun in 2-player mode making the frogs go through lots of weird contortions. Flaky controllers really helped w/ that.
  • Tarmin: LOVED IT! Total D&D geek, so that's a completely unbiased opinion. :P
  • Space Hawk: I got lots of hours on that one. Was it great? Meh. But I don't count it as one of the worst.
  • Mouse Trap: The music! AAAAARRRRGGHHH!!
  • Zaxxon: I loved the arcade game, and was so impressed by the ColecoVision version, that it, along w/ DK, with ucky control and lame sound, made me hate those Intellivision ports with the heat of thousand suns. At that age, the limitations of the actual hardware didn't matter. :P
  • Venture: Enjoyed it, but it was way too easy
  • Star Strike: Agree that it was all too shallow, but the effects were awesome. My best friend at the time had a much bigger TV than I did, so it was a lot more fun to play at his house.
  • Like 1