IGNORED

Xbios & Xboot

Not sure of the answer, maybe the one above.

I once put together a guide on using xBIOS and xBoot here: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=XBIOS

I just compiled everything I could find on the net and put it together in one place. I am no expert with it, but have used it a bit. The user XXL on here created it.

Maybe you know of the page already, but if you don't, it may come in useful for other things, probably not for this issue though.

If anyone has any additional material I can add to the guide, let me know the content and I will add it. (or you can sign up for an account and edit it yourself)

I had some issue with the config file indeed (some customized values had been entered for I/O module).

I now have my program working.

By the way, reading through the xbios documentation, I cannot figure out how to do a directory listing.

It seems I should use "xBIOS_GET_ENTRY ", but what is the correct sequence of commands to then get the filename and size?

Edited by 8bit-Dude

jsr     xBIOS_OPEN_CURRENT_DIR

jsr     xBIOS_GET_ENTRY

and now:

A= file status
                    C = 1 - end of directory
                    X = index to filename (11 bytes) - index in buffer
                    X-4 = index to filesize in sectors (2 bytes)

X AND $05 = file status
                    X +1 file size lo byte
                    X +2 file size hi byte
                    X +3 first sector lo byte
                    X +4 first sector hi byte
                    X +5 filename
                    xBUFFERH = Buffer adr hi byte
                    xBUFSIZE = Buffer size

11 hours ago, snicklin said:

If anyone has any additional material I can add to the guide, let me know the content and I will add it. (or you can sign up for an account and edit it yourself)

from another thread: 

quoting xxl:

The xbios file starts with a configuration, so if you don't want to use an external file, you can edit the beginning of the xBIOS file (just after the header there is a configuration in the same format).

If you are bothered by the menu, you can delete it - just cut off the 5th and 6th block of the xBIOS file (it is not needed if you are not using the MENU and operating system for I / O)

you can save a precious file entry and some space on disk with this (something that should be done after everything is working of course)

In that thread I also made a simple change by including the API header file in the cfg (as well as your project), so the XBios RAM address only needs to be modified in one place, which clears up some confusion.

In your Wiki, you seem to have 2 options but in reality there's only 1 ?

change the value for ‘xBIOS’ above and change the value in the binary header of xBIOS.com.

That's only valid if you don't have a cfg file (see xxl quote) ?

Basically your xbios variable should always match the cfg on disk or the default cfg included in xbios.com 

What's really missing is an example that shows how to create a disk with a batch file