IGNORED

Mappy on our 8 Bit

Also, I'm going to work up a Super IRG example of a screen in the next few days, to see if this idea would be feasible. For now, here's a sample G2F capture of a screen from the arcade:

post-23798-0-72534500-1397368653_thumb.png

The aspect ratio will need to be altered, and if we stick with 40 char wide mode, you won't be able to see as much of the screen.

Anyway, the base colors are:

PF0: Red (base color for the top of the house)

PF1: Blue (used on some of the items)

PF2: Pink or Orange (the doors)

PF3: Yellow or Green (unused Trampolines)

These base colors will be used on most of the screen, but mixed colors can be used on the items to get extra colors, without too much flicker.

Here's also a sample Super IRG color palette that I worked up for this screen:

post-23798-0-48910300-1397369188_thumb.png

The top row of colors is for normal (ATASCII<128) chars, bottom row is for inverse chars. The idea is to rely on mainly the red, blue, yellow, and green base colors which will not flicker, and use the extra colors occasionally to add variety, checkerboarding them whenever they are used.

Should have a full Super IRG example in the next few days.

Thanks! If this game ever gets past the planning stage (on either XL/XE or 7800 platform) I'd be willing to take on doing all the music for it. Been playing Mappy alot lately and the music just gets into your head.

There are some games that just wouldn't be the same without the music.

Mappy, Bubble Bobble, Reactor all have addictive music.

Okay, two preliminary screens, kinda rough looking but you get the idea ...

post-23798-0-91376100-1397440395_thumb.png post-23798-0-73597800-1397440402_thumb.png

The screens are in wide mode (48 byte) ... the first one will show the items better, while the second one will show the top of the screen. There are some inverse conflicts because of the way G2F exported the .SCR screen file, so that would need some editing. The flicker is kept to a bare minimum thanks to checkerboard dithering.

In this font set, using inverse for the doors turns them green instead of yellow, so these could be used for the alarm shockwave doors which stun the cats. Also, the picture of Mona Lisa and the safe should all be rendered in inverse, to get the correct colors to match the original game, as these rely heavily on greens and cyans.

Here is also a picture of the entire font set in the ICE IRG editor.

post-23798-0-23603300-1397440410_thumb.png

Keep in mind these colors are optimised for an NTSC palette. For PAL, the chroma settings for BAK and PF0-PF3 need to be decremented by 1 chroma step.

On the ATR below, run D:MAPPY.TUR and D:MAPPY1.TUR. Also, the ICE file D:MAPPY.ICE can be loaded with D:ICEIRG.TUR (included on this ATR) if you want to view the font set or edit it further.

mappy demo screens - super irg.atr

• Like 1

Well in the arcade, there are 5 multi colored sprites for the cats and Mappy, plus a 6th for the shockwave when you open a door. With only 5 single colored sprites, you'd have to design the game using both hardware and software sprites, so I don't think a good looking release would be that easy at all. It would take some careful planning especially when you consider all the differently colored objects that you have to collect on the board too.

Just did some research ... in the later levels, you get 10 pink cats, plus the boss cat, plus the cat coin which comes after you if you take too long. But then all 12 would likely never be on the screen at the same time.

You'd likely need to use 4 monocolored players for the enemies, and mux them together when you need to display more than 4 on a scanline. The colored objects would be no problem in Super IRG, but you'd need 2K for the font space. Plus you'd have to scroll the screen at 30 fps when moving left and right.

Edited by Synthpopalooza

Just thinking out loud...

Since the prizes in the game always sit above the platforms, it seems like DLI's could be used to provide a separate palette for them. Maybe IRG could be used only in certain zones to reduce the overall flicker.

Last one for today ... Game Over music.

For this, I was able to mimic the change of timbre in the arcade version, by using distortion 12B for the bass (frequencies divisible by 3 make a less buzzy waveform) and transposing the 16-bit distortion 12 lead up an octave.

mappy-gameover.A78

mappy-gameover.asm

mappy-gameover.mp3

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

If the 2600 can do this (release in November by AA).......the A8 should be able to do better.....

Nothing but amazing this work......the music is well done too....sampled of course but who cares.....its there !

Edited by Level42
  • Like 5

I've been wanting Mappy for a long time on the A8 too, I always include it in lists of what games I'd like to see on the A8 when those thread topics come up.

I have the original arcade game (probably emulated, I don;t know though), on a JAKKS Pacific Ms. Pac-Man 5-in-1 game joystick. those things that were sold in Walmart and Dollar General for years before all the flashback systems started coming out. I got Mappy, Pole Position, Galaga, Xevious and Ms. Pac-Man on it.

and it looks like I can have a version for my 2600 soon too, which looks absolutely incredible on the 2600, I'd be very happy if an A8 version were as good! But as said, if the 2600 can do it with the old TIA, surely the third generation GTIA along with Antic could do SO much better with the right programmers.

post-149-0-06271000-1539870894_thumb.jpg

A first possible looking that is Antic4 (seems to fit in: 1charset for text at the top in hi-res, on that pink place the hi-res white over black and playing area 2:1 ratio the other):

post-6517-0-61412200-1539880365.png

This is:

BAK: Black;

PF0: Light colour;

PF1: Blue;

PF2: Pink;

PF3: Green / DLI / Blue;

So this way there isn't PF2&PF3 clashes;

All guys are software sprites and PMGs are on Mappy.

Of course that this was just a 'quicky' so gfxs must be improved...

Get it?

;)

:grin:

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 5

Some update for today...

All PFs / DLIs the same as before but now the top scores is showing.

It's better having it, like I said in a own charset but to also to save Memory it can be in GR.1 mode because 64chars are more than enough though it is redone to 7scanlines high instead of the original 6.

On the game-playing area the windows on the roof are now redone and I think that's the best we can have.

Now will go to other objects and then the guys sprites...

Here's the current looking:

post-6517-0-65628900-1539963865.png

;-)

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 8

Maybe a stupid question but hey is the roof green and not red like the arcade version ?

Otherwise: looks great !

It seems that in some is green and others red: http://www.mobygames.com/game/mappy/screenshots and it is on my in green but it can change to any colour like is in the arcade version :).

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...