IGNORED

Mappy on our 8 Bit

12 minutes ago, Bilejoni said:

Well, there were some screen mockups posted in this topic...

Yeah, I understand. I'm not diminishing the efforts to get a project started here.

But in my opinion, there's no real potential for a project until someone capable of programming it expresses interest and starts writing code.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 5:35 PM, José Pereira said:

A first possible looking that is Antic4 (seems to fit in: 1charset for text at the top in hi-res, on that pink place the hi-res white over black and playing area 2:1 ratio the other):

post-6517-0-61412200-1539880365.png

This is:

BAK: Black;

PF0: Light colour;

PF1: Blue;

PF2: Pink;

PF3: Green / DLI / Blue;

So this way there isn't PF2&PF3 clashes;

All guys are software sprites and PMGs are on Mappy.

Of course that this was just a 'quicky' so gfxs must be improved...

Get it?

;)

:grin:

:thumbsup:

On 10/19/2018 at 4:27 PM, José Pereira said:

Some update for today...

All PFs / DLIs the same as before but now the top scores is showing.

It's better having it, like I said in a own charset but to also to save Memory it can be in GR.1 mode because 64chars are more than enough though it is redone to 7scanlines high instead of the original 6.

On the game-playing area the windows on the roof are now redone and I think that's the best we can have.

Now will go to other objects and then the guys sprites...

Here's the current looking:

post-6517-0-65628900-1539963865.png

;-)

On 10/23/2018 at 1:23 PM, José Pereira said:

It seems that in some is green and others red: http://www.mobygames.com/game/mappy/screenshots and it is on my in green but it can change to any colour like is in the arcade version :).

On 2/26/2019 at 6:38 PM, José Pereira said:

Not that I know but I could go more further with the gfxs if anyone is interesting in coding it.

Yes, first @Synthpopalooza then me but sadly no ones takes it ?.

It would be fairly simple as is described by me above with our guy PMGs then others soft sprites and using charmode on an Antic4 screen.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

@Synthpopalooza@José Pereira

I don't want to get anybody's hopes up at this point, but I would like to take a crack at coding this up. I found this thread by searching for Atari 8-bit Mappy to make sure it didn't already exist. Any music/graphics work you guys could give me would definitely help me get motivated to get something up on screen and playing through the speakers.

This will be my first Atari 8-bit project since I was a teenager, but I am a software guy and did a decade in the games industry back in the PS1/2 era, and I am fairly familiar with the constraints of the hardware considering my lack of (memorable) experience with it, so I think I am capable of doing a decent job of it. I also have personal reasons for wanting this combination of game and platform, which I believe will motivate me to make it play, sound, and look as closely to the arcade version as is reasonably possible.

Anyways, if you would like to take a chance by sending me your existing work, it would give me a lot of initial velocity :)

Cheers,
Nate

Edited by n8n8baby
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Will do.  I coded the music for 7800 using POKEY.  May have to tweak it a bit, as level music uses all channels (7800 uses TIA for sfx).  Will send my stuff in the next couple days.

Cool...I was thinking I might port to 7800 after getting micro/5200 versions done. To do it properly may require a lot of graphics rework, but at least I'll have the juiced out music ready to go :)

On 11/30/2020 at 10:18 PM, n8n8baby said:

@Synthpopalooza@José Pereira

I don't want to get anybody's hopes up at this point, but I would like to take a crack at coding this up. I found this thread by searching for Atari 8-bit Mappy to make sure it didn't already exist. Any music/graphics work you guys could give me would definitely help me get motivated to get something up on screen and playing through the speakers.

This will be my first Atari 8-bit project since I was a teenager, but I am a software guy and did a decade in the games industry back in the PS1/2 era, and I am fairly familiar with the constraints of the hardware considering my lack of (memorable) experience with it, so I think I am capable of doing a decent job of it. I also have personal reasons for wanting this combination of game and platform, which I believe will motivate me to make it play, sound, and look as closely to the arcade version as is reasonably possible.

Anyways, if you would like to take a chance by sending me your existing work, it would give me a lot of initial velocity :)

Cheers,
Nate

Enter in contact anytime you wish.

• 11 months later...