IGNORED

Season 3 / Week 2 ~ The New HSC ~ Defender (Game 1)

Vocelli

Wall Defender 746221

attachicon.gifWall-Defender (1B) e 746221.png

ok I take it back I wasn't getting better, just getting lucky. i think those misses are just random.

@dark aleph -- do you know what makes the walls come back? is it just chance or can you earn extra walls in some way. I also don't understand why sometimes my last wall gets destroyed in one hit, other times it can take successive damages before breaking.

i like Wall Defender but it does seem kind of unfinished.

According to the manual "One bonus wall is given when you cross a stage without being hit by a single alien."and "Don't let the super alien collide with the wall, otherwise the outer wall will be completely destroyed."

oh, thanks Jason!

I suspected that about the super alien but one time it hit my wall and didn't destroy it. I think that was maybe after it shrunk though. I guess then it is no longer a "super alien."

I was getting fed up with this game but now I want to go back at it...

Haven't played Defender in a long time. I think I made it to level 7 tonight till I got smoked on the "mutant" stage!! My score.. 62,200 Had never heard of Wall Defender before... but I really enjoyed playing it! Especially after reading the manual! ;p I was kinda getting annoyed that I would get stuck for a sec turning the corners tho.. Any who, my score 57,440

post-29475-0-42298900-1394591693_thumb.jpg

post-29475-0-77353100-1394591721_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I was kinda getting annoyed that I would get stuck for a sec turning the corners

It is rather annoying when a developer doesn't allow you to hold diagonally to continue moving in the direction you are going, and instantly rounding the corner when you get there. I don't think the 2600 version of Pac-man did this properly either (although the Arcade and the 2600 version of Ms.Pac-man do implement this properly)

• Like 1

Wall Defender - 149,152

I know I need a better Defender score, but I would rather play this one. <shrug>

I'm with you there, mate. I don't think I will ever get into Defender.

Found out something. Is anyone aware that an autofire function on your joystick makes your ship in Defender almost invincible? Shot and ship can't be on screen at the same time, so you're mostly not there on autofire. Pretty sloppy port, I'd say. And almost every clone of Defender does this better (Chopper Command etc).

Wall Defender, on the other hand, is great. Perfect for a few very quick games in between. Thanks for that choice, Voc!

• Like 1

I had exactly the same experience the first time I passed 600,000. Still alive: just no more aliens coming. Game over. I thought that the 999,999 score mentioned in the manual must only be achievable by hitting every alien.

I think what happens is a limit to the number of waves the game will throw at you with just one wall remaining. My frozen game ended after about five or six rounds of survival with one wall.

In my two subsequent games I was regularly getting my second or third walls back, and that seems to reset the wave limit. I could play on to the rollage.

Thanks for the tips :-D

Wall Defender better score

post-38542-0-79859100-1394615033_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Found out something. Is anyone aware that an autofire function on your joystick makes your ship in Defender almost invincible? Shot and ship can't be on screen at the same time, so you're mostly not there on autofire. Pretty sloppy port, I'd say. And almost every clone of Defender does this better (Chopper Command etc).

That's what we call good strategy. That plus the "hold a human" technique and this game folds like a chair at the rec center.

• Like 2

First go around at both:

Defender: 58,400

Wall Defender: 98,430

Again, I won't bother with pictures unless I have a chance to play more. Unboxed my Atari for the first time since I had to set in in storage over the summer, and can't find a joystick that functions properly. At least my Genesis pad is still good (though oddly enough not recognized by the Harmony menu). Still, I got my kids to play with me, and they might start posted in the HSC again, so: all in all, this is a Happy Day in the Kofoed household!

• Like 4