IGNORED

Atari 7800XM - 3.5 years later - Where is it?

Lendorien

It seems a little strange to me that Curt hasn't chimed in to say "OK guys. Here's the deal."

I'm not one to moan and groan about the lack of updates. He's a busy guy. I get that.

It's just that it's gotten to the point of being a little rude.

It seems a little strange to me that Curt hasn't chimed in to say "OK guys. Here's the deal."

I'm not one to moan and groan about the lack of updates. He's a busy guy. I get that.

It's just that it's gotten to the point of being a little rude.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222984-atari-7800xm-35-years-later-where-is-it/?do=findComment&comment=2945437

Yeah. I'm aware of that. I've read everything for the past number of years.

Point is we get a cryptic 7800 anniversary release date that nobody can agree on and it seems that's passed.

Just looking for a hard release date or whatever is holding that up.

Things go so much better, from personal experience, when you're upfront about the issues.

We got a couple projects over at The Moonlighters (fansub group) that are stalled for various reasons the biggest of which being a major mover and shaker in the various projects had to go to the hospital because of his lung, and when we were open about the problem we had a reaction that was surprisingly far more positive than I could have possibly predicted.

So... did something or someone piss off Curt to the point where he's pretty much closed himself off from everyone here? I was VERY late to the party with the XM and found out about it maybe a year and a half ago... and I immediately contacted him to get some info... he was very communicative and pleasant. I get the impression that he's pissed about something.

Marty you know that post was a total cop out on his part. Curt has just as good as ran himself off the forum and\or isn't bothering to post here as his mismanagement of this whole thing has dwindled down to crap excuse after excuse about the lack of updates about the project, let alone posting actual details about what the hell is going on in regards to a finished project.

It was the same thing on the high score carts (which I had to wait an aditional 6 months for after I pre-paid as I was sent a dead cart), the same thing on the USB joysticks (actually got mine, many others got a bowl of BS soup though) and now the same thing on the XM (which I was interested in but thank God didn't pre-order). There seems to be just enough time between projects that people forget how out of whack things get with these projects for the consumer that isn't tied to a major company with written expectations and deadlines. This XM craziness takes the cake though. The worst situation to date. This sure as hell wouldn't have happened if the XM was for a major corporation as can also be seen from track records of actually making things happen for big players on items like the flashbacks,ect.

In any other real world circumstance there would be something along the lines of a class action lawsuit with the name Curt Vendel at the top of the page by now as this is to the point of being criminal. Pun totally intended.

• Like 6

Has anyone emailed Curt recently and asked for a status update? As entertaining as it is to read this thread, it's probably more productive to go to the source and just ask for an update.

The fact that we (still!) have to send e-mails ourselves every time we want these updates is part of the problem. See #246 and my own reply in #248. As several of us have said, a lot of this frustration could have been easily avoided if the updates were simply posted publicly and in a more timely manner.

I can almost see somebody writing in reply (because we've heard this before, too): "Curt said that he would post updates whenever there's something new to report, didn't he? You haven't seen any updates, have you? That must mean there's nothing new to report. It's that simple!" To which I would reply: Why is there nothing new to report after all this time? Is the project just gathering dust because of other issues, or are there technical hurdles or other delaying factors that need to be overcome? If so, what are they? Perhaps some of us can help in some way, if only we knew what the problems were.

It would take only a few minutes to provide an explanation, it would cost nothing, and it would be a perfectly reasonable and polite gesture to those who have been kept waiting for several years. It's the lack of reciprocity and openness that seems to be as much of a sore point as the long development cycle. Sometimes long development cycles are outside of one's control, but not a lack of communication.

• Like 4

The fact that we (still!) have to send e-mails ourselves every time we want these updates is part of the problem. See #246 and my own reply in #248. As several of us have said, a lot of this frustration could have been easily avoided if the updates were simply posted in public.

I can almost see somebody writing in reply (because we've heard this before): "Curt said that he would post updates whenever there's something new to report, didn't he? You haven't seen any updates, have you? That must mean there's nothing new to report. It's that simple!" To which I would reply: Why is there nothing new to report after all this time? Is the project just gathering dust because of other issues, or are there technical hurdles or other delaying factors that need to be overcome? If so, what are they? Perhaps some of us can help in some way, if only we knew what the problems were.

It would take only a few minutes to provide an explanation, and it would be a perfectly reasonable and polite gesture for the sake of those of us who have been kept waiting for several years. It's the lack of reciprocity and openness that seems to be as much of a sore point as the long development cycle. Sometimes long development cycles are outside of one's control, but not the lack of communication.

I 100% agree with you that he should be posting updates. However, he isn't. He did invite people to email him. I was just wondering if anyone has tried.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Curt is having major health issues again based on his latest Facebook post, so obviously it looks like there won't be any further updates for some time. It's probably in good taste for now to let this be until he resurfaces.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Curt is having major health issues again based on his latest Facebook post, so obviously it looks like there won't be any further updates for some time. It's probably in good taste for now to let this be until he resurfaces.

I was aware that Curt had suffered serious health problems in the last few years, but since I'm not on Facebook, I can't see his posts there. (Why wasn't this news also posted to his own Web site, since that's where he always tells everyone to look for relevant updates?) If he's having health troubles again, I would of course wish him a complete recovery, and nothing I've said should be seen as implying otherwise; one's life and health must come first, after all, and I'm sure everyone else would agree.

With a well-managed project, there should be no conflict between wanting to see the project finished and wanting to see its initiator remain healthy. I'd hate to think that it might be necessary to pass the project on to someone else to be completed, but if lingering and serious health problems are again a factor here, perhaps that's one of the options that should be considered at this point. Most importantly, it would lighten the load on Curt's shoulders and allow him to focus on his recovery.

• Like 1

Ok, I said I wasn't going to say anything else, but this pops even my brain. I, like many others, do not use FacePlant, how does one have time to post on that site and not here, where a HUGE monetary debt is owed? :?

As to some previous comments about me developing hardware. I spend the money on it, because it's fun to be able to achieve something a major corporation could not (or most likely did not, because of cost). With pretty much the same components that were available to them at the time. It's a retro challenge, not some super powered SMD components that wouldn't have been possible at the time (ARM, SD card nonsense, flash memory etc.). Not wanting to go on a rant about it, I'll leave it at that. ;)

The dev-IO board is obviously different, they didn't have 20MHz PIC microcontrollers then. :D

• Like 4

Question, hypothetically speaking, if the XM is never released or no one who had not backed will not get those (although Curt told me that when it is released, there will be a window of opportunity for those of us who had not preordered it to get on the list), is there a way to get sound out of Donkey Kong XM? Will CPUWIZ's thingamabob work? Would it be extremely difficult to add a Pokey chip? I'm ignorant here, but I'm just thinking up things. Also, I really want to play my DK XM cart with sound as soon as I can.

I 100% agree with you that he should be posting updates. However, he isn't. He did invite people to email him. I was just wondering if anyone has tried.

I emailed him twice and got a response on one. The second one asked if he would be announcing its release on AA, so not sure why I didn't get a response on that.

As to some previous comments about me developing hardware. I spend the money on it, because it's fun to be able to achieve something a major corporation could not (or most likely did not, because of cost). With pretty much the same components that were available to them at the time. It's a retro challenge, not some super powered SMD components that wouldn't have been possible at the time (ARM, SD card nonsense, flash memory etc.). Not wanting to go on a rant about it, I'll leave it at that. ;)

That's my way of thinking about homebrew hardware, too!

(This is a slight aside, but upon reflection, I'm starting to wonder if that would also have been a better approach for the XM: a drop-in replacement motherboard for the 7800, integrating all the various fixes Atari made over the years plus the new features of the XM, instead of a plug-in module with injection-molded plastic cases, brushed aluminum plates, and retail-quality documentation and packaging. All those "finishing touches" are very nice, but they may have been too ambitious and costly for a homebrew project with relatively limited upside potential.)

I was aware that Curt had suffered serious health problems in the last few years, but since I'm not on Facebook, I can't see his posts there. If he's having health troubles again, I would of course wish him a complete recovery, and nothing I've said should be seen as implying otherwise; one's life and health must come first, after all, and I'm sure everyone else would agree.

With a well-managed project, there should be no conflict between wanting to see the project finished and wanting to see its initiator remain healthy. I'd hate to think that it might be necessary to pass the project on to someone else to be completed, but if lingering and serious health problems are again a factor here, perhaps that's one of the options that should be considered at this point. Most importantly, it would lighten the load on Curt's shoulders and allow him to focus on his recovery.

I don't own a facebook account and I hope he has a complete recovery.

I don't know outside of Cpuwiz who could take over Curt's project.

Curt had a partner in Groovybee, but he left the project. Groovybee did the bios the Atari 7800 XM and didn't give Curt the latest version of the bios he did. The thing is having Groovybee taking over the Atari 7800 XM from Curt isn't a good idea because of Goovybee's history of not completing stuff including a couple intellivision games that were pre-order, but are not completed as I am aware of.

Edited by 8th lutz

I never facebook today. I did years ago when it was created. So I may as well have kept on as everything is stored there forever. I hate the bragging aspect of it and false friendships. I have always been kind of a stay to myself person as of today I haven't had friends for years. Too busy.

You think Mr. Vendal would like facebook wall posts asking from all of us about the Xm? I wouldnt if I was him. Very embarrassing. Also looks like absolute crap for your business.

Hey if hes sick then please get well! I hope he gets better soon. Of course health is important!

Maybe like someone else suggested the project could be handed over and completed. He could still get credit and at least get it out in our lifetime.

Please dont let the xm be another pile of atari related blunders in the past..

I have to agree with many of the post here. Leaving it to members to contact him seems like a bad choice. When other people's money is concerned, I feel it would be a very simple common courtesy to simply post here once in a while giving an update... even if there is nothing to report.

Regarding his health issues, I hope all is well and remains well, but... as mentioned already, he has plenty of time to post on Facebook, why not post here with an update every now and again to let people know that they have not been forgotten?

If nobody put money down on this... it would be a non issue and there would be no reason for the uproar... IMO.