IGNORED

Which console is better? Atari or NES?

Best game console ever?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite 8-bit game console?

• Atari VCS
    • NES
    • Other (please specify)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

pre-8bit?

bits are another terrible way to go about it ... for instance

VCS is 8 bit, but so is the TG16, PS2 is 64 bit but so is Jag, Intellevision is 16 bit and so is the sega genesis

Yeah, TG-16 was false advertising, but that machine was a real 8-bit powerhouse; @7Mhz it was 2x as fast as SNES! :-o

64 is 64 bit; PS1 is 32 bit. N64 wins, yay! :-D

How many bits was Atari PONG, like 1? :P

I've never understood this hang up with generations of consoles. Sure, the most successful consoles tend to come out every few years in 'competition' with each other but the only fact I see is that consoles (failures or otherwise) come out in a steady stream pretty much constantly... Kind of like tellys. I never hear people talking about (and spending nearly 5 pages on a forum!) what generation their telly is though! :P

To me, there are two 'generations' of consoles: Old and Not-so-old - and that definition changes on a daily basis depending what mood I'm in. :)

• Like 1

How many bits was Atari PONG, like 1? :P

It's 0 bits :grin:

Pong machines works with TTL logic; it's digital at core, but there is no processor, just a bunch of transistors reacting to analog inputs (okay, a microprocessor and microcontroller are made of transistors, too, but their input and output is data, not analog signals) and putting out analog outputs.

Many early arcade games (including Pong) were TTL machines; it's why it's hard to emulate them perfectly : there is no code, no program to feed to an emulator, you have to recreate the whole electronic logic.

if you want "less bits", some early Microvision games were fitted with a 4bits processor from calculators. later ones are 8 bits (the Microvision itself doesn't contain any processor, it's all in the cartridge).

Edited by CatPix

It's 0 bits :grin:

Pong machines works with TTL logic; it's digital at core, but there is no processor, just a bunch of transistors reacting to analog inputs (okay, a microprocessor and microcontroller are made of transistors, too, but their input and output is data, not analog signals) and putting out analog outputs.

Many early arcade games (including Pong) were TTL machines; it's why it's hard to emulate them perfectly : there is no code, no program to feed to an emulator, you have to recreate the whole electronic logic.

if you want "less bits", some early Microvision games were fitted with a 4bits processor from calculators. later ones are 8 bits (the Microvision itself doesn't contain any processor, it's all in the cartridge).

Well, the very fundamentals of digital logic has two possible states, high or low, a one or a zero. A single bit is one of two possible states. Zero bits implies no state exists at all. Er, perhaps a singular state does exist since 2^0=1, but such a state is undefined since it cannot be represented by a 1 or 0. Still a circuit has to be nonzero amount of bits otherwise there can be no data output; even a light switch is one bit; on or off. Most ceiling fans are two bits, because there are 2^2=4 states, high, medium, low, and off. Three bits if you count the independantly controlled built in light fixture. But if PONG is one bit, I wonder if the "descrete logic = one bit" rule also applies to all those handheld LCD games... :P

Edited by stardust4ever

Yeah, but game consoles are accounted by their CPU. I mean, I guess that's why the original question is about,hmm? What "class of CPU" the Pongs are part of?

No CPU : no Bits. :grin:

Or we gonna have to get more precise : the Intellivision is a 16/10/8 bits (16 bits CPU, 10 bits lenght instructions and 8 bits components) the SNES and Megadrive are both 8/16 bits systems, the Jaguar is a 8/16/32/64bits, etc... ;)

"Do you have stairs in your house?"

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/terriblesecret

"We are the Space Robots. We are here to protect you..."

WTF did I just watch? Nobody pushes me down the stairs and gets away with it! :???:

If it was me, I'd arm myself with a microwave oven with the window removed. Wear tinfoil apron. Aim microwave away from the body, towards the robot. Start timer and nuke the robot.

Edited by stardust4ever

The results are going to be skewed as these are after all Atari centric forums. I'm not going to let that sway me however.

NES, clearly. I had many times more fun on my NES than even my beloved Atari VCS. Many games on the NES provided deeper and richer gameplay experiences than anything on the Atari. Pitfall while great and amazing for its time, but it does not hold a candle gameplay wise to Super Mario Bros. Adventure vs. Zelda, come on, not even a fair fight. The list goes on and on, Metroid, Mega Man, Contra, Duck Tales...

At the end of the day, I still love them both, and they both still provide great gameplay to this day

• Like 1

The results are going to be skewed as these are after all Atari centric forums. I'm not going to let that sway me however.

NES, clearly. I had many times more fun on my NES than even my beloved Atari VCS. Many games on the NES provided deeper and richer gameplay experiences than anything on the Atari. Pitfall while great and amazing for its time, but it does not hold a candle gameplay wise to Super Mario Bros. Adventure vs. Zelda, come on, not even a fair fight. The list goes on and on, Metroid, Mega Man, Contra, Duck Tales...

At the end of the day, I still love them both, and they both still provide great gameplay to this day

Exactly this. Its a concept I really do not think the majority of people on the internet really gets. You can like 2 seperate things.

To them its this.

" I think the NES is better " = OMFG he hates the Atari 2600, lets burn him with fire, the dirty atari hating MF.

Newsflash, just because you prefer one thing does not mean you automatically dislike the other. I like the NES, but guess what, brace yourselves here, I can also like the Atari despite having a preference for the NES.

I mean bloody hell I have a cat and a dog, I love them both but I prefer my dog, that does not mean I am about put my cat in a sack and throw it off the nearest bridge.

We're not only talking about a leap in console generations but a completely different paradigm in games. Each 2600 game was meant to be played for a lifetime like non-video game forms of entertainment (chess, baseball, etc..).

The experience between consoles is different and not by any means a one to one relationship. As other people have noted this whole topic is kinda unfair (to both systems).

I love Atari, the 2600 was fantastic and I loved it, I also still have my Lynx from when I got it new. However, I am also realistic.

It was just a joke bloke. :)

I don't think this thread is remotely serious. No system is better than another. The whole thing is subjective... Just a bit of fun. :)

• Like 1