IGNORED

"CUTTING THE CORD" - On my Classic Computer

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone has the information I'm looking for. I currently have a Lantronix UDS-10 plugged into my classic computer's RS-232 port on one side, and an Ethernet cable going directly to my router on the other. While this works, and gets my classic computer on the Internet, I'd like to 'cut the cord' so-to-speak.

Does anyone know of a WiFi device with an RJ-45 on one end to essentially replace the cable? Does anything like this exist? I'd be able to get the old computer into another room without drilling holes in the house or stringing cables.

Thanx!

post-35324-0-11122800-1394552362_thumb.jpg

What you are looking for is a wifi bridge. Since you're already working with ethernet, buy the same device you would for modern equipment. A cheap router with openwrt/tomato is an excellent choice, but they make dedicated bridge devices too if you're not up to configuring your own.

You can get RJ45 Wifi dongles, but no idea if it'll work with your setup.

Yeah, I've seen some for PS2's and stuff like that, but I have no clue if it'll work with the Lantronix device. Also, it'll have to be WPA2 compliant to work with my router. I figured if there is a group of people that still use the UDS-10, it'll be people with classic computers.

Edimax access point?

I'm not sure if a range extender is what is needed. The Lantronix works connected directly into the router just fine, so all I think I need is a device that replaces the cable and uses Wifi instead. I'm assuming that once the security is setup, it *SHOULD* work, but the Lantronix has it's own IP number. Wouldn't the dongle also have to have it's IP number to communicate with the router? If so, how would that work?

What you are looking for is a wifi bridge. Since you're already working with ethernet, buy the same device you would for modern equipment. A cheap router with openwrt/tomato is an excellent choice, but they make dedicated bridge devices too if you're not up to configuring your own.

Do you have a link I could go to to read up more on the specific device? Thanks!

• 9 months later...