IGNORED

Ebay Rant - Don't ship Tutankham and Super Cobra to Brazil

BBWW

OK I shipped out a package to Brazil. Shipped same day as payment hit paypal. Hold for 21 days on payment with ebay as well, even though I have had $3000 transactions with them!

Come this morning, on day 34 the customer files dispute wanting only refund as he got tired of waiting and bought items again. I had sent him 3 emails with the tracking info and never heard a word back. Have now read that shipping to Brazil is HORRIBLE and something I sent to a friend with even better tracking has disappeared as well. She said it's sad but it happens all the time. Items can rest in customs for 90 days.

So this clown say's he bought the items, but never once checked in with me about it or responded to my email. So I have a large hold on funds for Tutankham and Super Cobra. I'm kinda feeling screwed here.

I sent in photos of all the documentation and a copy of the Tracking…which ends when the package left the country. Referred them to emails sent to the buyer and pleaded that it is common knowledge that shipping can take forever to Brazil and a big polite WTF - You bought another one?

We will see what happens…beside me never shipping to Brazil again.

Nothing like being out 2 pricey games AND the money.

Sigh.

Thanks for letting me rant!

I have decided a few months back to NEVER ship any eBay items out of the country where I live. (USA)

Not even to Canada. No exceptions. I've been screwed in the past on crap like this.

Glad we can still make deals over here! (nope, I'm not going to buy 10 Space Armadas now! :P )

Back to Stone Age.

In the stone age I could knock him in the head! Now I'm lucky if I'm NOT convicted of being a cyber-bully!

Edited by BBWW

PayPal enables fraud. Period. It is NOT the most loved way to get paid......

I won't use it usually, but I have to until I get credit card acceptance again in Thailand.

You can trust me, I promise! :evil:

Maybe, for shipping worldwide to unknown people, the only way would be to agree only if the buyer pays for a reliable international courier service, whatever the costs, especially when some rare and valuable games are involved?

Or, possibly, ask the buyer to register with a proxy like vpost so they can provide a local address. Then it is the proxy that would be blamed if the parcel gets lost, not the original seller.

Being far from all the main action theaters where the collecting scene takes place, I do feel this is a serious issue when these unfortunate episodes happen. Hopefully you'll manage to keep the sales proceedings and the buyer will get his games as well soon or later (BTW, he was really stupid to buy the games again and not wait knowing how things work in his country...)

• Like 1

I've had good luck shipping international and I've shipped over 100 international packages. The only issue that I ever had WAS to Brazil. Shipped an Atari computer to a guy ... took forever to get there ... and he filed for a refund and won despite the fact that I had a tracking number. I refunded his money and moved on with life. A few weeks later, I received a message from the guy that it finally made it and he resent payment. An honest buyer is an honest buyer, no matter the country.

BTW, if tracking shows that it didn't arrive, you LOSE the case, even just in the US. I had a US buyer not receive his items and, even though I could prove that I shipped it and made it part way, I lost.

• Like 1

It is true customs can have your package for around 90 days.

So I learned to be very patient.

Fortunately, I had only two missed packages and they came from Canada. But in one of them, it was my fault 'cause I was travelling and couldn't receive it. Now I try to get it back and it seems it's lost in Mail...

It is very frustrating to wait for months, sometimes you feel they won't come.

Now I'm fearing my so wanted System Changer which I bought in November won't arrive... :skull:

I have a tracking # saying it is with customs, so I'm gonna wait.

When I bought the harmony cart, it took so long, I wrote to Batari (I don't remember if I asked another one)

He promptly sent me a replacement.

3 months later, both cartridges arrived together!!!

I told him and we agreed I would send it to his next Brazilian customer.

Unfortunately for us, the more expensive and faster shipping method is granted to come with an expensive fee for Gov for importation...

When customs need 90 days, imagine how much they tax when they have to deal with it faster. It's easy to pay 100% in taxes. :(

I only ship with ebay's international shipping program. If someone lives in a country they don't ship to, I won't sell to them. You only need to make sure the package makes it to there facility in Kentucky. It's Ebay's responsibility from there.

• Like 2

I make my auctions US and Canada, and tell people outside Canada to ask for a shipping quote before bidding.

that seems to work well, in a few hundred auctions I've been ripped off maybe twice.

it's the cost of doing business, I guess.

• Like 1

Fushek,

So even with delivery confirmation within US you are not protected as a seller? What would give sellers 100% protection then - signature confirmation (which I believe is required for items over $250)?

I don't know if that makes a difference, but I used signature confirmation when I sold some expensive stereo equipment recently.

I only ship with ebay's international shipping program. If someone lives in a country they don't ship to, I won't sell to them. You only need to make sure the package makes it to there facility in Kentucky. It's Ebay's responsibility from there.

I use this too, although a lot of international buyers hate it (with good reason). At times, I've had buyers ask me to invoice them via Paypal and bypass eBay and the GSP, and I did this on a case-by-case basis. For a CIB game, it really takes only about 10 minutes to print off a international shipping label from your computer.

I didn't know that you are "off the hook" once the parcel arrives at the Pitney Bowes facility in Kentucky. I guess you can still be negged, but it would be reassuring to know that you wouldn't be liable for an undelivered parcel.

I didn't know that you are "off the hook" once the parcel arrives at the Pitney Bowes facility in Kentucky. I guess you can still be negged, but it would be reassuring to know that you wouldn't be liable for an undelivered parcel.

Yes, I called Ebay about this before using the program.

For a CIB game, it really takes only about 10 minutes to print off a international shipping label from your computer.

I've been doing all my Donkey Kong shipping labels from my PC. I hate standing in line at the post office. I've even figured out how to import my address list and create the labels in batches. :)

Fushek,

So even with delivery confirmation within US you are not protected as a seller? What would give sellers 100% protection then - signature confirmation (which I believe is required for items over $250)?

Not sure ... mine was shipped Media Mail with tracking. It shows that it made it to one of their sorting facilities and then it fell off the grid. He opened a case and eBay/Paypal gave him his money back.

Would it be any different if you used Signature Confirmation? Maybe, but if it never makes it there, you won't have a signature to confirm shipment and the tracking would show it not arriving.

BTW, this was a RARE case. I've shipped thousands of packages over the years and I can only remember once or twice an item not arriving at it's destination. That's a pretty decent track record for the USPS ...

I've been doing all my Donkey Kong shipping labels from my PC. I hate standing in line at the post office. I've even figured out how to import my address list and create the labels in batches. :)

I used to think that shipping to other countries was a huge hassle, but the USPS site makes it relatively easy. I'm probably costing myself a few sales and higher bids by using the GSP instead of the direct route, but I still like the protection of not being liable once the parcel arrives in Kentucky.

We have great USPS service in my city. Our letter carrier will pick up as many parcels that I have to ship right from our house, so I don't even have to go to the P.O. most of the time.

• Like 1

I'll add another rant: as a Canadian I will never buy anything that goes thru Ebay's Global Shipping program. They take well packed items from the seller, open the package, and repack it with as little packing material as possible. Then they ship to Canada (or wherever.) I've had packages well wrapped in bubble wrap in a large box that were repacked in "official" Ebay GSP boxes, with no packing materials.The GSP's customs and duties also is inaccurrate. Took the chance 3 times, 3 times burned. Never again.

• Like 1