IGNORED

Ebay Rant - Don't ship Tutankham and Super Cobra to Brazil

BBWW

I expect to lose this case, but my shipping will change. It was Ebay that determined the shipping costs, it was free to US buyers. My only hope is that the guy "Bought them Again" before he received mine or communicated with me. I think it will be a multi hundred dollar lesson for me. I got a bad feeling when I sent him the tracking numbers and never heard back. EVERYONE who I have bought from or sold to on ebay in the past has acknowledged emails like this…from that point my red flags went up.

Oh well, it's only the lost of not being able to buy that Red Demo Cart!

I'll add another rant: as a Canadian I will never buy anything that goes thru Ebay's Global Shipping program. They take well packed items from the seller, open the package, and repack it with as little packing material as possible. Then they ship to Canada (or wherever.) I've had packages well wrapped in bubble wrap in a large box that were repacked in "official" Ebay GSP boxes, with no packing materials.The GSP's customs and duties also is inaccurrate. Took the chance 3 times, 3 times burned. Never again.

well that sucks, I use the ebay global shipping program for all my listings. I had no idea they do that. I pride myself on packing my items securely using bubble wrap and big boxes for protection. I guess I have been lucky so far. I have shipped maybe 50-50 items so far using this and so far have always received good feedback.

well that sucks, I use the ebay global shipping program for all my listings. I had no idea they do that. I pride myself on packing my items securely using bubble wrap and big boxes for protection. I guess I have been lucky so far. I have shipped maybe 50-50 items so far using this and so far have always received good feedback.

It does suck because since they introduced it, I have ordered less on Ebay and I buy a lot typically.

Sorry but I would never buy anything from any seller using Global Shipping program based on the added cost alone. Compare a single game manual selling for buck and change. If the seller sent it first class, probably cost under $2 to send, sellers usually charge about $3 for first class, but those using the global shipping, it comes in at $30. I know to some degree that's apples and oranges - different services, but for a manual worth a dollar Id have to be nuts.

Colecovision ads I watch. Console sent via priority post is probably $25 and it has tracking and I have to sign for it, with global shipping cost becomes $50 or more. Its whack.

I can receive an item under $60 in value absolutely duty and tax free. This program seems to ignore that fact and charges some kinda brokerage fee for doing nothing.

• Like 3

I think the ebay shipping gets eBay more $$ and a much LARGER excuse not to help out sellers with these kinds of problems. It's a Payola Protection scheme. Us use or good luck buddy. We have control of your Ebay and Paypal accounts...

With all these problems, I wonder how I will get the synthesizer... :skull:

It will be very hard and expensive to import.

It's OK, when you buy it, just ship it to my house. I'll take care of it for you. Oh, and if you want, I can play with it for you, too. I don't mind, really. :)

-dZ.

I have a feeling my ebay purchases are coming to an end. I have been buying off ebay for many years but the sudden increase in shipping (both from usps/canada post regular rates and this global shipping thing) and the weaker Canadian dollar are making it very difficult to put in a decent bid or get items at a decent price. I personally have had great luck receiving items I have paid for. In fact the only item I have had to make against a seller was someone else in Canada. I have bought from the USA, China, and several countries in europe.

• Like 1

I am also using Ebay's GSP and so far knock on wood, with great success. But i'm always nervous something will go wrong. I do know that if you offer free shipping you automatically get a 5 star rating and are off the hook for that part, I wasn't going to do GSP at first and actually turned it off from hearing some horror stories. But a couple friends of mine who used it with success convinced me to use it again. My sales have picked up quite a bit. But i still worry.

I did do an experiment and messaged a couple of the buyers and asked if they would let me know what the package looked like and how well it was packed when they got it, Only one of them messaged back though. Here was their response. Sounds like everything was packed the same except some of the bubble wrap was ripped. And this auction was for a Snes Mini System with 2 controllers and cords

Hi there,
i received your item in the mail,

The package with the controllers in it is kind of ripped from the side, the other 2 look the same as the picture, also there was extra wrapping on top.

Hope this is what you were after :)

Cheers,

I also received some other feedback on international packages about how well it was packed. Let's hope that continues. When sipping international i make sure to bubblewrap everything even stuff that i wouldn't need to shipping locally. I try my best to make it so the shipping center needs to use the same box (my box).

And then i did another experiment, the person who bought that Snes mini from me was from Australia and i decided to see what my auction looked like from Australia Ebay and noticed the International/Duty charge was zero, there wasn't any. I guess not every country has them. Interesting. Not sure how many do and how many do not.

Well I lost the case, the games and the cash. No longer planing to ship outside US unless it's not through PAYPAL and/or Ebay and buyer arranges and takes responsibility for the carrier. Lesson learned.

Now I'll wait for the Tutankham to show up for sale. The box was very distinctive.

All eBay would do is say "well don't ship to Brazil." When suggested that they should warn you BEFORE you ship they said, MOST items go through. The fact that this guy "Bought" the items again, BEFORE he contacted me about the shipping time, just reeks rip-off and even eBay admitted that but that along with shipping receipts and Customs Tracking was not enough.

Never again Brazil.

Well I lost the case, the games and the cash. No longer planing to ship outside US unless it's not through PAYPAL and/or Ebay and buyer arranges and takes responsibility for the carrier. Lesson learned.

Now I'll wait for the Tutankham to show up for sale. The box was very distinctive.

All eBay would do is say "well don't ship to Brazil." When suggested that they should warn you BEFORE you ship they said, MOST items go through. The fact that this guy "Bought" the items again, BEFORE he contacted me about the shipping time, just reeks rip-off and even eBay admitted that but that along with shipping receipts and Customs Tracking was not enough.

Never again Brazil.

What was there reason for giving the refund? It LOOKS like you had enough to prove your case....at least for items shipped in the US to another US person. I always thought once the item leaves your hands and you can prove that it was mailed then you're off the hook. :ponder:

Nope, has to get to the other parties hands…and you need proof of that…or if you can use Ebays "service" to ship and you are "more" protected but not completely. Really the whole experience has soured me a lot on commerce and hobby. You do everything right, you don't try to get rich, you price things fairly and then you take the loss. So really the only way to make up for it is to gouge some poor fool.

I took a buch of games down from ebay and am about to take the rest of my actions down as well. I'd rather just sit on stuff at this point rather than sell.

Hi BBWW,

Thanks for info - not sure what ebay's service is but will have to check when time comes again. Sorry again that this happened to you, but try and not let it get you to jaded and just do your best to learn from it as 99.99% of time there are no issues. I had a similar problem once as well as I mistakenly didn't add tracking and lost my money on a sale of a mint Thin Ice CIB. Just do your best to forget this A-h*** and don't get yourself sick over it - we have all been there at least once I would say. Anyways, hope all is well and you have good karma going forward.

Best regards.

Joe.

I think by ebays service he means ebays global shipping program. Which protects you from neg feedback and covers you as far as proof of delivery as long as your package is confirmed to make it to their distribution center here in the states.

Notice though that they don't include Brazil as one of the countries for the Global shipping program...so ebay doesn't feel even comfortable accepting responsibility for packages going there...but they expect sellers to on their own...ha :P

And yes to be covered by seller protection you must have proof of delivery by tracking within 45 days. Proof of mailing means nothing...only confirmed final delivery within the 45 days...not 1 day more.

And if the item is over $250 (actually I believe if the invoice total is over $250) so cost of all items purchased on that invoice plus shipping costs is over $250 you must also have signature confirmation to be protected.

If you do that you are covered by paypal seller protection.

Another reason besides fees why its nice to try and sell stuff here first to known AA members before going the ebay route :)

Hi stupus,

Thanks for the info. I knew about the $250 requiring signature confirmation (at least that was amount 2 years ago) - I made that mistake once but luckily it didn't come back to bite me as I was dealing with a reputable AA member it turned out. As for Brazil, you have provided me with much appreciated insight and I don't think I will ship there as now I have lost faith. Thanks again and best regards.

Joe.

I'm in Australia, and have bought many things on eBay with Paypal over the years using regular mail with no issues - but recently, with the change to mostly buy it now pricing, and with the extortionate shipping costs out of the USA going through the roof ($30-$40 to ship a boxed Intellivision game? $20 to ship a loose cart? No thanks...), my days of buying through eBay are pretty much over, especially out of the USA. And it's cases like this with some countries being notoriously bad to ship to (like Italy and Brazil) that turn USA sellers off selling to 'reliable' countries - at least I hope that Australia is still on a list of "A1" trusted countries to ship to...

- J

I have had packages going to the founder of Elektronite take FOREVER to get to Italy. No money has changed hands, so that isn't an issue. I just hope others I sell to are patient however. I have a group of people in Italy that I have had buy things from me in the past, so they trust me to send the package, and I trust them to let me know if it never arrived. However, I have had one guy scam me from Italy. I am nervous about sending anything over $100 of value over there to people I don't know as lots of it goes missing in Southern Italy for some reason.

Edited by Games For Your Intellivision

I'm in Canada, never had a package go missing from the USA, Japan, England...nor have any gone 'missing', although I've had people send me stuff that was poorly packaged and dealt with it through the seller. I've never had a problem in that case, either. UPS and FedEX can and do track from the USA to Canada...I know because I've purchased over a dozen items, and they had that sucker tracked right to the depot here in Canada. USPS offers no service, but I'm pro-USPS because those other guys charge 'brokerage fees' which I don't agree with. And you always get dinged with taxes (GST), which makes buying some higher priced items a bit pointless. I've only had one seller not sell to me because I'm Canadian, and that's their decision that I respect (although when they ship via UPS and FedEX, they have no problem).

As a Canadian using Canada Post, we as sellers have it just as bad as Americans: we can't track past the border and are in the same boat, unless we use UPS or FedEX....ultimately more expensive for the buyer, but I have been really lucky, I guess. I make sure I state in my auctions that you must have 100% feedback and no first time buyers (sorry, I guess). But that seems to work for me.

PS, I hate the GSP program from ebay.