IGNORED

HxC Floppy emulator alternative - GoTek

acadiel

Has anyone tried one of these off of eBay yet to see if they will work with the TI's floppy controller?

http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

(Note the above is where an Amiga enthuiast reprogrammed the firmware to work with an Amiga. The GoTek by default should work with PC compatible images, but it probably doesn't know about PC99 or V9T9 images.)

I've seen them go for as low as $9.99 - a huge price differential compared to the HxC.

I have two of these, one was the super cheap pc one, the other is the one programmed for the amiga off the code from the page above and the other for the peecee.

They do raw fat translation, so unless you are writing PC floppy images your SOL. The code could be changed to support TI formats, like he did for ADF files for the Amiga, but it would require that code change.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just got one of these and would like to know if anyone has gotten one to work with the TI or Geneve. I can hex edit a bin file or burn in the Hxd firmware if need be, but need to know which direction to travel. With one of these you can use thumb drives, multicard adapters, real usb hard drives and so on.

I've got one I picked up pre-loaded with the hxc2001 usb-stick firmware. hxc2001.com.

It is my primary media on my 4a. I cannot format a disk on it. But I can create blank disks ( I use a TI floppy controller ) with TiImageTool, or disks loaded up with whatever files I want, and then export them to hfe. The .dsk file created with TiImageTool needs to match your controller's capabilities... So for me with the 80 track mod on the TI controller, I get Double Sided Single Density 80 track 360k disk images.

The hfe images you put on the usb-stick will then be named DSKA0000.hfe, DSKA0001.hfe, etc... So I have to keep a journal of what each numbered disk actually is.

• 2 weeks later...

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

I have used Gotek drives with HxC firmware on both Amiga and Amstrad and they work great but those machines already have disk menu programs written for them, think it's a case of someone from the likes of here will need to write a disk selection menu program that will run from disk image slot 0 otherwise it's a case of remembering what disk has been assigned to each slot#, I know you lot on here are easily talented enough for the task - anyone up for it?

Edited by OX.

• 1 month later...

Very recently, the author at hxc2001.com updated the firmware to support non-indexed mode! Meaning: If you connect a cheap LCD1602 device with an I2C interface, it will display the name of the file, and you don't have to use the DSKA0000.hfe name scheme. The two buttons move forward or back through the list.

You have to apply 2 pull up resisters, to bring SDA & SDL up to +5v on the LCD board.

And you have to add a momentary button so you can select the floppy image once you've navigated to it with the other buttons.

There is a function menu as well, if you hold down the added select button. I haven't explored it yet.

Here are some pictures ( Please excuse the precarious nature of what you are about to see )

post-42954-0-04605000-1443248020_thumb.jpg

I do have to figure out how I'm going to put this back in the PEB in a respectable way.

• 4 months later...

I got a couple of the GoTek units in. There appears to be cost reduced versions out there, which I apparently got, but you can retrofit them.

Here's what the innards of a 'fully loaded' one look like.

Mine are missing:

The front two switches (no worries, cheap on on Amazon here.)

The second LED (no biggie, I"m not even sure what it indicates)

Also, some have the front LCD and some don't. MIne doesn't, but I will be hooking up an i2c backlit LCD to it, and using the HxC firmware on it. LCD parts needed are here and backpack here.

As soon as I get my LCDs and switches in (and maybe a nice stand too), I'll update the firmware and let everyone knows how it works!

Acadiel, I look forward to seeing how you set these up.

I posted some shots of this in the systems thread, but to followup, this is how I went with the Gotek installed in my PEBs.

I have each gotek drive in a 3.5" -> 5.25" cheap plastic adapter. The LCD1602 display is mounted on the adapter with 2 standoffs.

I have modified the gotek drive casing to hold the 'select' button for the hxc firmware when the non-indexed mode is used.

I just left the index display sitting there, but not connected. It is mostly obscured by the added LCD.

post-42954-0-42258600-1454792572_thumb.jpg

And you get to see the nice filename for your disks. RW stats, track access.

post-42954-0-24923900-1454792582_thumb.jpg

The hxc firmware has drive A: image select and drive B: image select, but I haven't spent any time looking to see if that is actually supported on the Gotek drives. For my floppy cable, I get confused behavior on the drive select too, ( I'm using them as DSK1. ) so I have taken PC drive cables and un-twisted the ribbon under the connector ( gently take the connector off, and put it back on. )

-M@

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally got the usb serial programming cable in to program my Gotek and have successfully programmed the HxC bootloader into it using the SecSerialBridge.exe program that can be downloaded from http://hxc2001.free....drive_emulator/and paying the 10 euro fee. I was going to place the update file and config file, onto the usb drive, but I am wondering if it will be of any use as my Gotek looks like acadiel's first picture. I do not see any way to change between disk images yet, can someone help me or do I need to go ahead and install the switches to be able to move around between images? I am also trying to keep a step by step guide in the process to help others doing this.

• Like 1

On our TI's you need the switches to go up and down through the list of images.

You have no display attached, so even with the switches, I don't know how you will tell which image you are on, other than refreshing a directory listing.

You could have the config set to enable 'autoboot' and then have 1 image named autoboot.hfe and that will be selected at power up.

These only have value without a display in single image applications, or on the CPC, Amiga, or ST where there is host controlled image selection.

I started with units that already had the 2 buttons, and a numeric 2 digit display. That was restricted to indexed mode.

Then I added the 3rd button, and a 2 line i2c LCD display so I could get out of indexed mode and see actual image names.

That is where you'll want to end up.

-M@

On our TI's you need the switches to go up and down through the list of images.

You have no display attached, so even with the switches, I don't know how you will tell which image you are on, other than refreshing a directory listing.

You could have the config set to enable 'autoboot' and then have 1 image named autoboot.hfe and that will be selected at power up.

These only have value without a display in single image applications, or on the CPC, Amiga, or ST where there is host controlled image selection.

I started with units that already had the 2 buttons, and a numeric 2 digit display. That was restricted to indexed mode.

Then I added the 3rd button, and a 2 line i2c LCD display so I could get out of indexed mode and see actual image names.

That is where you'll want to end up.

-M@

Ok, thats what I figured, so I will have to order the switches and a screen to really make this work good, Thanks jedimatt42

After all that effort, how much less expensive do you think it will be than the HxC Rev F pictured below?

sml_gallery_35324_1232_324514.jpg

20.00 for the Gotek, a few dollars for the switches and whatever the screen costs, + the fun factor of soldering it all together= Less expensive. But you can get the Gotek with the amenities for about 40.00 round about. :) But when I can afford it a HxC is in the plans + two more Goteks.

Edited by RickyDean

20.00 for the Gotek, a few dollars for the switches and whatever the screen costs, + the fun factor of soldering it all together= Less expensive. But you can get the Gotek with the amenities for about 40.00 round about. :) But when I can afford it a HxC is in the plans + two more Goteks.

Yeah I was wondering about the screen + shipping for all the different items. I agree the fun factor of assembly can't be beat. I really enjoyed my temperature gauge & HDX switch unit for my TI. I've been toying with the idea of a Gotek for the backup box, but since I'm so time-poor and the HxC is so quick and easy to slide in...

Yeah I was wondering about the screen + shipping for all the different items. I agree the fun factor of assembly can't be beat. I really enjoyed my temperature gauge & HDX switch unit for my TI. I've been toying with the idea of a Gotek for the backup box, but since I'm so time-poor and the HxC is so quick and easy to slide in...

Well considering that on Ebay right now you can get one with the buttons and screen for less than 25.00 + the 10 euros for the bootloader to make it work like a HxC. No contest.

• Like 1