IGNORED

810 Disk Drive Differences

I recently got two 810's. One works and the other doesn't. The one that works has a board on top - Is this a happy 810?

According to the BEST Electronics website the original power supply board, which is in the one without the analog board on the drive mechanism, has a 100% failure rate. This means that is most likely the problem with the dead drive. As both these drives appear to have the Tandon mechanism you may wish to check it the drive doors have been replaced, and also what Revision ROM(C being the last) they have before you place an order.

From the Best website:

Atari Engineering Grass Valley 810 Analog Rear board upgrade set. New Rear 810 Analog Rear Power board, New Top Analog R/W board, New 10 Pin Jumper cable, Installation Instructions. Upgrades / Replaces the older Atari 810's with Single Power board that 100% Fails. See Atari 810 Tec tip below! CB101128 $35.00

Atari 810 Tandon New Upgraded / improved front lift door. Cures the known problem with old Atari 810 Tandon doors with white pivot pins that break close to 100% of the time. FA100467 $4.95

CO11299 (810) Rev C $5.00
  • Like 1

I too have had both. The one without the top Grass Valley board set did not work either. The ones "without" are early 810's, but don't dump them as the MPI mechanism is probably "like new". Since they failed quickly, PCB's that is, those "without top board" 810's probably got put back in the box and were never to be used again. That means the MPI mechs have seen little use and can be swapped out on a good working 810 to make it like new again. Also, the plastic cases are probably un-yellowed because they were put away and not soaking up UV light for 30 years. I used the mech and plastic from one of these "without top board" 810's to fix two other functional, but needing new part 810's (i.e. hold onto it for parts or get the Grass Valley board set).

I'm going to keep it and get the new boards for it from Best for $35.00 plus ship. The case is fine and the internal's look like new. This will be my first 810 rebuild.

You could try swapping the power/analog boards into it from the good 810 first, if it works this would verify that is the only problem.

How many 810s with Tandon mechs were manufactured, versus the MPI mechs?

I've only had the MPI mechs.

-Thom

tschak909,

Good question. I can tell that the Tandon mech was "bill of materials" by June 1983. When you look at Ebay, +90% are MPI mechs. I think that percentage is not an accurate indication of the ratio though. The Tandon mech 810's all suffer the fatal (white teflon pin) failure that makes the door fall off in your hand. I think sadly that many Tandon mech 810's found their way to landfills because a fix in the late 80's and 90's was not common. I've also heard that Tandom mechs lose alignment more easily. I'm curious myself about the production ratio. Anyone know?

Edited by ACML

• 6 years later...

Does anyone know if you can source the Tandon mech door improvement from anywhere other than Best? I'm guessing shipping would be a pain.

I'm just going looking at two 810s. The first does not have the analog board but has an MPI mechanism (garage door?), the second has the analog board, but has the Tandon mechanism. There seems to be one brass pin in the door latch and nothing at the front of said latch. The latch is loose and whilst it can close, it goes too far so the drive mechanism opens up again. I'm yet to try with a disk to see if that will stop this happening but the latch doesn't look right.

Or, can you source replacement pins? Has anyone 3D printed these?

The non analog drive is powering on and making all the right noises so I'm going to tinker with that a bit.

So a quick update; first drive which has some cosmetic damage and doesn't have the analog board is working but slow. Seems to get better after being run a bit - a bit like a car coming out of lockdown. I'm going to try and adjust the speed.

The second drive with the one-pin door is loading fine however, with the door as it is, the mechanism won't stay down so I had to improvise to do a test. 

On 8/8/2020 at 12:04 PM, svenski said:

Does anyone know if you can source the Tandon mech door improvement from anywhere other than Best? I'm guessing shipping would be a pain.

Shipping will the least of your concerns if you are in the USA. The issues are usually that he has a minimum value order, and Best also restricts most people to 4 or 5 items per order. International shipping can be expensive.

Brad does have a lot written up on the website about the problems with earlier 810's without the "Grass Valley" upgraded board set, and the later tandon's with the broken door pin. He sells both sets of parts, but not very cheap.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:04 PM, svenski said:

The non analog drive is powering on and making all the right noises so I'm going to tinker with that a bit.

The original power board has an extremely sensitive RPM dial. moving it a mere millimeter either direction can result in a + or - 10RPM variance, if it even lets you get up to 288RPM at all. It has inferior power output compared to the upgraded "Grass Valley" board set drives. Start an RPM test, ie using the one that comes on some SpartaDOS 3.2 disks to check that.

Earlier 810's used MPI mechs. Later used Tandon. The MPI drives started with inferior power boards and no data separator daughterboard. The "Grass Valley upgrade" consisted of replacing the rear power board with an upgraded power board + separate top analog board, added a data separator between the WDC controller on the side board, and replaced the older "Rev B" ROM with a "Rev C" ROM that formatted disks with an improved sector interleave.

• 2 years later...