IGNORED

"Deep" games for the 7800

Rick Dangerous

I have been really re-discovering and enjoying my 7800 this past month or two. Most of the games I have been playing, though awesome and tons of fun, have been kind of arcade style. Whatever are your top few deeper games that you like to play, and can play for hours on end.

The closest thing I have found so far is Dark Chambers, which I get a kick out of but some people seem not to like. Any other ideas?

I'm assuming by "deep" you mean relatively lengthy adventure or story-driven games. In which case, Midnight Mutants and Scrapyard Dog come to mind. Alien Brigade might qualify as well; it's very arcadey, but it has a few different stages and kind of plays out like a mission.

Okay 4 games... I guess I'll go back to playing Asteroids..lol

What about Failsafe? That looks like a pretty cool tank crawler..

Failsafe (7800) is a sequel to Countermeasure for the 5200

Here is a blurb that I wrote about it recently:

"I'd never played countermeasure but I really enjoyed discovering it. Using an adapter that gave me digital controls really helped with this game as the 5200 stick seemed to always be re-calibrating. You can find lots of descriptions of c'measure on the web for reference. It's sequel for the 7800 had a lot of nice improvements including power-ups for your tank that gave you more speed, invincibility, more range on your shots, and a "freeze" of the enemies. This is a really nice homebrew and one of the few for the 7800 that is not an arcade port."

The game does a nice job of making you feel like you are helping to save the world. Although the 5200 version actually gives you more choice, the 7800 game is faster and offers more variety. Playing both of them one after another felt like different stages in a kind of story, but alone they aren't that engaging. That being said, there is quite a bit more in Failsafe than just a few screens of mazes or faster invaders.

• Like 1

I have been really re-discovering and enjoying my 7800 this past month or two. Most of the games I have been playing, though awesome and tons of fun, have been kind of arcade style. Whatever are your top few deeper games that you like to play, and can play for hours on end.

Here's a few:

- Scrapyard Dog - Hard as hell, but a side scrolling Super Mario style game with 17 side scrolling levels

- Midnight Mutants - Probably the closest thing to a Zelda type game. You explore the country-side, underground caves, the haunted mansion, the underground lab and fight a bunch of boss creatures

- Commando - Has eight vertically scrolling levels plus (I think) 8 scrolling bonus areas

- Ikari Warriors - one long, map based shooter

- Rampage - 132 different cities to destroy

- Xenophobe - 8 space ships with different levels to plow through

- Plutos - Vertical shooter with multiple levels ... officially "unreleased" but there are lots of reproductions out there

- Sirius - Horizontal shooter with multiple levels

- Fatal Run - A racer with many levels, cut scenes, a store to buy weapons etc

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

Here's a few:

- Scrapyard Dog - Hard as hell, but a side scrolling Super Mario style game with 17 side scrolling levels

- Midnight Mutants - Probably the closest thing to a Zelda type game. You explore the country-side, underground caves, the haunted mansion, the underground lab and fight a bunch of boss creatures

- Commando - Has eight vertically scrolling levels plus (I think) 8 scrolling bonus areas

- Ikari Warriors - one long, map based shooter

- Rampage - 132 different cities to destroy

- Xenophobe - 8 space ships with different levels to plow through

- Plutos - Vertical shooter with multiple levels ... officially "unreleased" but there are lots of reproductions out there

- Sirius - Horizontal shooter with multiple levels

- Fatal Run - A racer with many levels, cut scenes, a store to buy weapons etc

Cool thanks! To everyone... Great ideas and I'm sure these will keep me busy for a while. -Rick

Double Dragon takes awhile to complete, largely because it is insanely difficult and the controls aren't fantastic.

The trick with Double Dragon is to get a handle on a couple of moves and learn the flaky UI patterns. Trust me - learn how to reverse jump kick, elbow jab and head butt and you'll walk through the game easily. Especially the reverse jump kick against enemies attacking from the right.

I can't wait to get double dragon for 7800. I have all three on my NES, but the idea of playing it on Atari seems soooo much cooler... !!

It's fun, but I always found it a bit disappointing. The game looks and feels rushed to get to market on a cheap budget. Even the sprites are lifted partially out of another game by the same company.

It's fun, but I always found it a bit disappointing. The game looks and feels rushed to get to market on a cheap budget. Even the sprites are lifted partially out of another game by the same company.

And the audio is lifted from the 2600 version.