IGNORED

Heretic

swapd0

Interesting. Will be interesting to see how much the levels have to be toned down, some of Heretic's stages are absolutely massive compared to DOOM levels. Will also be interesting to see how well it runs once the enemies are placed into the mix. Still, as a big fan of the original, I am interested to see how this eventually turns out.

Ok, now THAT would be fun. Basically what Towers 2 should have been with... less suck.

Except that asides from the first person perspective, Towers II is a completely different style of game. :roll:

I read a bit of that Storm Works "company" in a 2003 thread on this forum.

Doesn't make much sense why that logo's there other than the guy being a plagiarizer.

Stormworks recently released Blackout on the Jaguar, presumably they are working on heretic too? heretic source was released by the company that developed it. where's the plagiarism point coming in?

Edited by Willard

Found more info on it-

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?topic=2426.0

He also seems to have a bit of hate for sh3-rg...

EDIT:

Stormworks recently released Blackout on the Jaguar, presumably they are working on heretic too? heretic source was released by the company that developed it. where's the plagiarism point coming in?

I was going by the 2003 thread posted here, but there was a bit of back-and-forth on the topic. Just gleamed over it.

Edited by NinSEGA

At least this would actually have a game in it - assuming it ever gets finished.

That news does come from Kieren 'Liard' Hawken's site. Take this with a fair bit of scepticism.

• Like 2

When I talked to Carmack 3-4 years back when viMaster and I worked on Death Tongue he said that I could not distribute or include any assets from Doom or even the Shareware Doom. We had to do a total conversion where the art, music, maps, sound, etc were all our own. He did say Zenimax (sp?) who owned id back when I talked with him (still do now I believe) had the final say and he was not the "end all" on legal matters as Zenimax had a team for that. With Carmack not being with id anymore I fear anyone trying to get anywhere with them will have a rough time. Long as I stuck with just the source being the only thing of id's that I used, he felt we would be safe.

The policy does seem to follow the policy back in the day with Doom/Doom II/Heretic/Hexen. Map authors could not make maps that included any id assets, and their maps needed to only work with the commercial version of the games to promote sales of it. You couldn't develop maps that used the shareware version. Plus pretty much all the new ports of Doom out there don't include either the commercial doom.wad or the shareware. They "leave it" up to the user to supply that themselves.

Conversion looks good though. Nice work!

<edited for real bad spelling>

Edited by belboz

After their antics on AA I don't think their "work" deserves to be posted here, they made their intentions clear when they fabricated that ridiculous drama around their infiltrated computer and mysterious Jaguhacker editing their code and pinching their binaries (hint: it's called gin, don't drink it and "code").

They're been doing this hack for over a year, not sure why it's supposed to be news now, because Kizzy made a yt video? Even posting his videos here is a bit of a middle finger to those he fucked over in the past... him and his moderator accomplice were banned for a reason, a damned good reason.

thats cool that Stormworks are still sticking with the jaguar

lol

• Like 4

After their antics on AA I don't think their "work" deserves to be posted here, they made their intentions clear when they fabricated that ridiculous drama around their infiltrated computer and mysterious Jaguhacker editing their code and pinching their binaries (hint: it's called gin, don't drink it and "code").

They're been doing this hack for over a year, not sure why it's supposed to be news now, because Kizzy made a yt video? Even posting his videos here is a bit of a middle finger to those he fucked over in the past... him and his moderator accomplice were banned for a reason, a damned good reason.

See.

When you start going on about this stuff... this where is you lose me completely. I can hazard guesses, but I've always kept myself out of the loop when it comes to site politics and whatnot |:)

Therefore, from the perspective of a casual Jag gamer looking forward, the video in that footage looked rather good. Sorry that it brought negative feelings to the forefront for those that are more actively involved in the scene. From my basic black and white (and probably selfish) perspective; the more new games/projects, the merrier... :dunce:

• Like 2

See.

When you start going on about this stuff... this where is you lose me completely. I can hazard guesses, but I've always kept myself out of the loop when it comes to site politics and whatnot | :)

Therefore, from the perspective of a casual Jag gamer looking forward, the video in that footage looked rather good. Sorry that it brought negative feelings to the forefront for those that are more actively involved in the scene. From my basic black and white (and probably selfish) perspective; the more new games/projects, the merrier... :dunce:

No, I totally agree, it's just that when it comes to those two it's rarely ever about just the games. The locked Black Out thread here says all that needs to be said. Particular highlight was where the coder called a moderator a "fucking pussy" and demanded to be banned. That's the calibre of this outfit.

If they finish it (rush has been coding Jaguar for 11 years and released the gameplay-free game "Black Out" so far) and get the permissions to put it out then fine, he always was happier hacking away at the work of others vs doing his own thing. If they use it as another means of upsetting people and having them hammer their PayPal donate button in order to convince them to please, please stay, not so much.

• Like 4

Not sure what there is to be too skeptical about really as the original game was created using the Doom engine as a basis, so you'd hardly think it'd be an amazing feat to pull off. Jaguar Doom code is out there and people have been fiddling with it for many years. The Heretic PC code is GPL and has been out in the wild for years now. It hardly seems out of the bounds of possibility that someone could mash those together and come up with something kind of resembling Heretic using Jaguar Doom. Although, when you consider "Some of the modifications Raven made to the Doom engine for Heretic were flight, sectors that can push the player, an inventory system, ambient sounds, translucency, looking up and down and pushable objects." then yeah, skepticism seems appropriate. It smells quite strongly of another never-to-be-finished project. If you see all or most of that added in along with the more mundane missing content, fair enough, that would be Heretic and would be impressive... so I understand being skeptical from that perspective.

As for framerate, under emulation and without much of the game content, well, we don't need to discuss how flawed that is anymore, we've exhausted that subject over the past few weeks. Suffice to say it's utterly meaningless.

To see how the Jaguar Doom engine performs when asked to do more than it did with Doom, look no further than the videos of it hacked with Doom 2 levels. Now add in all the other stuff and... yeah, probably best to keep that running under emulation.

• Like 2

As for framerate, under emulation and without much of the game content, well, we don't need to discuss how flawed that is anymore, we've exhausted that subject over the past few weeks. Suffice to say it's utterly meaningless.

Oooh, good catch.. I didn't even consider that. Who knows how it actually runs in its current state on real hardware.. I keep forgetting emulation can boost the framerate (big time, in some cases) in 3D games.

Oooh, good catch.. I didn't even consider that. Who knows how it actually runs in its current state on real hardware.. I keep forgetting emulation can boost the framerate (big time, in some cases) in 3D games.

That 61/60 FPS is a sure sign of Project Tempest emulation.

I think Doom is capped at 15fps on Jaguar, it drops below this at times and drops quite a lot below and more often with the Doom II hacks.

Forgot all about that one. That was some crazy story. Hmm.. Now I am thirsty for some reason.

• Like 1