IGNORED

Heretic

swapd0

How easy would it be to port an MS-DOS game to the Jaguar without having the game's source code?

The game I'd like to see ported is Bot Soccer, which was a pack-in with SEGA PC games back in the day. Original publisher was Expert Software who became a subsidiary of Activision. The developer was some German company I think. It was actually a decent game.

About as easy as porting your dog with a cat to make Cogs - except with more bruises and lacerations.

• Like 5

Haha, yeah, my ideas are freaks-of-naturish.

Don't feel ashamed that your ideas are freaky. I get the feeling that you do the research and actively want to know the WHYs and HOWs. This is a good thing.

The trick is picking projects small enough that you can do - not just dream big and have no way to implement them. Baby steps to grand dreams, man.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

If you pull yourself back from the drama & look it at from an unbiased perspective, this would be a great release to see for the community. There's no arguing that.

IIRC, some/a lot of the blackout drama was bc some1 posted the ISO DL only a few days after release. I could be thinking of another CD homebrew though.

Except no such ISO ever appeared at the time, and to my knowledge, has ever appeared since - and the only mention of it was from the drunken stupor postings of Rush.

They also released the ROM to the public for free, and now threaten anyone who shares it. Go figure.

Please don't try revisionist history. There's been enough of that. Historians documented that it didn't end well ;)

Also, I agree, it would be a great release.

If you pull yourself back from the drama & look it at from an unbiased perspective, this would be a great release to see for the community. There's no arguing that.

IIRC, some/a lot of the blackout drama was bc some1 posted the ISO DL only a few days after release. I could be thinking of another CD homebrew though.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 1

How can you possibly forget the well constructed rootkit-on-the-linux-dev-machine/remote editing of source code/untraceable hacker ROM e-mail/etc. fantasy tale and subsequent eBaying of dev hardware paid for by community PayPal donations? The tale was based on a serialised ROM taken from a dev machine in his house, not the posting of a CD ISO.

Last I heard they were considering rewriting the next Bourne movie based on these real events that actually happened, honest until test audiences were found to be prone to spontaneous bouts of giggling, so it got canned.

It's an old Jaguar failsafe... when shit's not going your way, push the "BEWARE PIRATES AND HACKERS!!11 THEY'RE EVERYWHERE, TRYING TO RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE!!!1!" button, sit back and watch the fanbase implode in on itself. Unfortunately for them it all got a bit like the boy who cried WOLF! And the only person known to actively engage in the selling/profiting/ripping off of the work of homebrewers and past Jaguar devs is someone who was banned from here and uses eBay to line his pockets with CD-R cash monies of collectors who should know better.

As for a release, well, the Doom II stuff ended up in the hands of all kinds of people and the world didn't end, it just gave plenty of them an excuse to use their skunkboards (often for the first time iirc). If wush ever finishes his own Doom hack I doubt the rozzas would come knocking on their door. Key would be to finish it first otherwise it's just another "if only" to add to the chalk board.

• Like 3

I will just throw this out there... if someone produces it for the Jag, I will buy it!

Well whoever was doing it has apparently added enemies to the current build. TBH i just don'y have the time or patience to wait and keep an eye on projects like this. Just let me know when something is finished and then I will decide to buy or not.

I hate waiting an age for things and being drip fed info.

How can you possibly forget the well constructed rootkit-on-the-linux-dev-machine/remote editing of source code/untraceable hacker ROM e-mail/etc. fantasy tale and subsequent eBaying of dev hardware paid for by community PayPal donations? The tale was based on a serialised ROM taken from a dev machine in his house, not the posting of a CD ISO.

Last I heard they were considering rewriting the next Bourne movie based on these real events that actually happened, honest until test audiences were found to be prone to spontaneous bouts of giggling, so it got canned.

It's an old Jaguar failsafe... when shit's not going your way, push the "BEWARE PIRATES AND HACKERS!!11 THEY'RE EVERYWHERE, TRYING TO RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE!!!1!" button, sit back and watch the fanbase implode in on itself. Unfortunately for them it all got a bit like the boy who cried WOLF! And the only person known to actively engage in the selling/profiting/ripping off of the work of homebrewers and past Jaguar devs is someone who was banned from here and uses eBay to line his pockets with CD-R cash monies of collectors who should know better.

I thought he probably concocted that story for a prestige thing. Give him an excuse to stop selling anymore copies and not release the rom. That way he'd have the enjoyment of being the author of another limited run game and he could show people 'oh look people are fighting over my limited release game on Ebay!! Its up to $400 just like Gorf etc etc'.

That was my take on it anyway.

Was his Jaguar development stuff really bought with paypal donations? And he ebayed iit? That's pretty low.

• 4 months later...

Doubtful. Last I heard, Rush & Co. left the RVG forums and deleted all of their posts. That was the only source of public updates/progress on this project as far as I'm aware.

lol? So after leaving here and fueling hate at RVG (a major reason I quit visiting there was rush and Gorf) they got pissed there too?

• Like 2

I think they can get it finished.

The issue would be more the rights on the wad file I think, they could release a cart with the engine and make an instruction for users how to download the shareware wad and burn it on cd themselfs I think that would be allowed.

That would be a way to release the cart without any issues.

Edited by TXG/MNX

As far as I can see, its the shareware version of the wad file, rather than the full game, so there shouldn't be any issues

Doesn't matter those are shareware wads. Unless they explicitly bought the rights from Bethesda/Zenimax/whoever, they cannot -legally- redistribute it.

They could, however, create a separate wad - there's plethora WAD editors.

Problem is, it would not be Heretic anymore, just another doom clone...

It should be perfectly legal however, to just distribute the engine and supply instructions to load some smaller WAD via SkunkBoard.

I would still vote to supply some free, noncommercial (e.g. not Doom/Heretic/Hexen/...) WAD just to test things out for players...