IGNORED

Best Way to Test Consoles for Functionality?

mojotv67

I'm about to sell all my extra consoles and wanted to ask if there is a "sure fire" method to test the functionality of the system / all the keypad buttons. For example, I was checking one that seemed to work fine and then a game required to press the 9 button and that's how I found it didn't work properly.

Any suggestions / recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by mojotv67

Do you have CC3 or IntelliCart, or an original Test cartridge? Guess it depends on which consoles you have to test. IIRC the MTE-201 won't do what you expect on Sears and Intellivision II. Can't recall for INTV System III / Super Pro System.

Unfortunately I don't... I guess like Jason suggested, it will have to be MLB. Unless someone out there has a CC3 to spare :-D?

The test cart goes through a bunch of specific tests to exercise RAM, the STIC and a few other things, and also tests the controllers. At the end, it launches into MLB as the final play test. So, although MLB won't be as rigorous as a test cart, you could use it as a basic test. Activating all the fielders and running them around for each team will test the keypads. You should get a feel for the disc while doing that s well. You can even get the action keys tested by bunting with both bottom keys, then regular batting w/ the top.

This won't rule out everything, but it's reasonable.

Another test I do is to play an hour or so of Astrosmash, then run the test again (or in your case, MLB) to rule out any heat-related issues. They seem to be pretty common -- either heat or just evil stuff like loose connections that can affected by the console warming up.

• Like 1

Hi mojotv67,

Only thing I would add is to use World Championship Baseball instead of Regular Baseball if you want as that will allow you to test the clear and enter buttons as well on the right controller leaving only the clear and enter buttons on the left controller untested if my memory serves me right. Not a big difference as regular Baseball is what I used to check all my systems on until recently.

intvsteve,

Thanks for info on mte test cart - I had one but you are right that it doesn't go all the way through to baseball start on Sears System. Never realized that and didn't think to much of it since my Sears unit was working fine.

Unfortunately I don't... I guess like Jason suggested, it will have to be MLB. Unless someone out there has a CC3 to spare :-D?

I use MLB to test mine since I dont have a test Cart. I also use World Championship Baseball to let it play longer I let the game play it self for a couple of games to let it warm up.

Would have been funnier if I hadn't gotten desperate for attention and made the joke a second time in the same thread after no response from the first. Validate me, Internet!! :)

Why are you on here posting when you should be selling all your Worm Whompers so you can go to CGE!!! :-D

• Like 1