IGNORED

My first steps into making Intv GFXs

While I was polishing the game, I thought to myself I could add sand as I already have fire and spikes in the game

Plus, it add more to the gameplay wich is never a bad thing :)

I agree with GroovyBee's comments. Although interesting, the sand effect looks much too regular and the hard edges surrounding it make it look too much like a box overlaid on top of the background.

Perhaps if the scene had more colour, say, with more foreground elements, the sand wouldn't pop so much as to be distracting. Also, you may want to cycle multiple cards independently to make the falling effect more organic.

I know it's the particular style of these games, but personally I am not fond of monochrome background scenery, where only sprites have any colour. You could create nice light-and-shadow effects using Blue, Black, and Cyan.

A water effect would be nice as well, but I encourage you to use different art styles and tiles for each. I find it distracting (and "cheap") when I play a game and see "falling sand" in one screen, then "falling water" on another, and "falling lava" in yet another; and the only difference between the screens is the colour of the animated tiles. It's like, what role are the "running tiles" going to play next, orange for "flowing juice"?

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

If you changed the sand to a single colour (along with the common black background colour) and made the slabs on the top of it MOBs, you could have a new play mechanism :-

post-21935-0-62912300-1447759302.gif

Then the player would have to make it across the room in a certain amount of time. The speed of the sand draining away is way too quick in that gif, but you get the idea.

• Like 6

I know it's the particular style of these games, but personally I am not fond of monochrome background scenery, where only sprites have any colour. You could create nice light-and-shadow effects using Blue, Black, and Cyan.

I'm usually not a fan as well (thinking about Spectrum games here)

But the advantage of using monochrome graphics for the background is it give you much more details

And to be honest, I think it give this game a certain appeal (IMO)

But hey! All suggestions are good to hear and gives me inspirations and a second look

Thanks! :)

If you changed the sand to a single colour (along with the common black background colour) and made the slabs on the top of it MOBs, you could have a new play mechanism :-

attachicon.gifRoomWithSandDrainingAway.gif

Then the player would have to make it across the room in a certain amount of time. The speed of the sand draining away is way too quick in that gif, but you get the idea.

Looks sweet!

I like the idea of sand draining away, clever :) :thumbsup:

• Like 1

RoomWithSandDrainingAway.gif

That's a cool idea....now go add it to one of your games! :)

• Like 1

Just saw something on Reddit that gave me an idea. Any chance of simulating a rising water or lava effect where you have a limited time to climb platforms or drown/burn? Ninja Gaidan III has an example of this:

https://youtu.be/ScY1fR6DZkw?t=340s

(Skip to 5:40)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

• 3 weeks later...

It has that sound pacing because (1) I experimented with "triplicating" the tones by first getting the melody on voice 1, then duplicated it in voice 2 a few clock cycles after voice 1, then duplicated that on voice 3 after that and (2) it was rushed. The source is in the Programming subforum so anyone can pick it up and play with it. There's no Santa because I have spent my time all in the sound/music realm and not with graphics (again leaving the source open for someone with actual graphic skills to do what they wish).

Cool! The pacing of the song could use some work, it seems rushed. Also, where's santa?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Here's a preview of my newest INtv game: Sacred Tribe

I've decided to take some extra time and polish the graphics and the Level Design

The Game now have:

- Title screen

- Intro cutscene

- 100 Different Unique Rooms (screens)

- 8 Different Enemies (may have more)

It's now confirmed!

Sacred Tribe is officially going into development! :)

Now, let's make sure this game is going to be as much fun as possible!

post-11933-0-16829100-1450398543_thumb.png

• Like 12