IGNORED

My first steps into making Intv GFXs

Exit: i think you might be saying i am wasting mobs needed for the good stuff but i am not understanding the 3 color issue. If it is the bottom part i have no problems making the pipe straight down from top to bottom. is this better or should i completely ditch the second color altogether?

attachicon.gifsmario4x2.png

attachicon.gifsmario4x3.png

Yes, that's what he meant. Alternatively, to keep the black border, you could align the pipe on tile boundaries on all sides, and on the top "lip" edges make it "background with black line on right," "solid green background x 2," and "background with black line on left."

For the bottom half of the pipe, you move the black lines inwards to the next tile, so it is "solid background," "green card with black line on left," "green card with black line on right," and "solid background."

.......# XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX #.......

........ #XXXXXXX XXXXXXX# ........

. = background color (blue)
# = outline color (black)
X = pipe color (green)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On Keith's BSR site, they list the INTV games that were apparently announced in the Fall 1988 catalogue but never released. I was surprised to see both Super Pro Auto Racing as well as Karateka listed.

http://www.intellivisiongames.com/bluesky/games/credits/intv.shtml

Back on page 5, William says he's negotiating rights for Karateka, and J-F did some mock-ups. Pretty cool! It would be a blast to see the games announced back in the day finally see a release.

On Keith's BSR site, they list the INTV games that were apparently announced in the Fall 1988 catalogue but never released. I was surprised to see both Super Pro Auto Racing as well as Karateka listed.

http://www.intellivisiongames.com/bluesky/games/credits/intv.shtml

Back on page 5, William says he's negotiating rights for Karateka, and J-F did some mock-ups. Pretty cool! It would be a blast to see the games announced back in the day finally see a release.

The people who own Karateka are totally unreasonable. There will be no official Karateka released by Elektronite. If someone wants to make a fighting game in the spirit of that title, I suggest that they go ahead and do it and then call it something else.

The people who own Karateka are totally unreasonable. There will be no official Karateka released by Elektronite. If someone wants to make a fighting game in the spirit of that title, I suggest that they go ahead and do it and then call it something else.

Bummer.

Yeah, unfortunately any game that's had a recent re-release in a modern form seems to have these people convinced that their property, that has sat fallow for literally decades, is suddenly a goldmine and we're just sitting around waiting to rip them off. Hence companies insisting on DRM on a video game released for a 35 year old console - mind-boggling.

I suspect that once the current retro fad cools down a little, things might become more reasonable. I'm a little surprised at the Karateka folks, given that PoP is their cash cow now, but only a little. Once we extended copyright to infinity, people got really irrational about these things.

Yeah, unfortunately any game that's had a recent re-release in a modern form seems to have these people convinced that their property, that has sat fallow for literally decades, is suddenly a goldmine and we're just sitting around waiting to rip them off. Hence companies insisting on DRM on a video game released for a 35 year old console - mind-boggling.

I suspect that once the current retro fad cools down a little, things might become more reasonable. I'm a little surprised at the Karateka folks, given that PoP is their cash cow now, but only a little. Once we extended copyright to infinity, people got really irrational about these things.

These people being unreasonable in negotiating rights to publish their game have nothing to do with protecting a game 'released on a 35 year old console'. It is investing over 10 grand on a game that has everything to do with protecting a game 'released on a 35 year old console'.

I make no apologies for protecting my investment.

These people being unreasonable in negotiating rights to publish their game have nothing to do with protecting a game 'released on a 35 year old console'. It is investing over 10 grand on a game that has everything to do with protecting a game 'released on a 35 year old console'.

I make no apologies for protecting my investment.

My mistake. I thought it was the copyright/trademark owners who were insisting on DRM in order to allow ROM releases.

They are. But I would do the same if it was an option.

Fair enough.

Out of curiosity - and if you can't answer due to confidentiality or don't feel like it because it's not really any of my business, I'll understand - what was the issue with the Karateka people? Were they demanding insane amounts of money, or just simply not willing to license out the name etc?

I know where the holdups come from when you're dealing with say Sega and wanting to use Sonic, but I'm curious where these small potatoes properties get tied up. Like I said, if you can and also feel comfortable sharing.

• 2 months later...