IGNORED

Convince me that a Genesis is worthwhile, if you will!

Sega certainly did dominate with their versions of the EA sports games, namely hockey and football. I still can't stand that original controller, and there were far more titles that I preferred the SNES versions. This is why I started the thread...since I already have an SNES, and my space is limited, I wanted to be sure that the Genesis could bring the goods. And thanks to the games that I largely forgot, mission accomplished! I still stand by my preference in controllers, but again, all I have to do is use the six-button version and there's no issue. I'll be Everdriving this console, so I doubt I'll be tracking down any carts (I had this same setup in the mid 90s, but sold it off) but it's good to know that if I do, the prices will be reasonable (for now, anyway). I don't really like doing RPG's on multicarts, if only because I don't trust the save-states (or in the case of my Powerpak, I just don't feel comfy with the procedure...so I just stick with replacing batteries in the older carts).

Anyways, thanks again to those who contributed. I think we've covered just about everything I can remember from way back when.

Everdrive would be a fantastic way to explore the Genesis. Although the games are MUCH cheaper than say the SNES they will, if you go for boxed versions(and why not) take up a bit more space than loose SNES carts. I picked up a SNES Everdrive a few months ago and its been fantastic. But also allowed me to basically start selling my SNES carts which are going for much more now than I initially paid for them.

• Like 1

I usually am game for free stuff, but I don't want to end up with too many systems outside of my original gaming era...I added an SNES for a few choice titles, and could already feel me slipping deeper into the rabbit hole! And now I can get a 2nd edition Genesis with some nice six button pads...but, there's really only a few games I really thought the system did well. Here's a few:

Alladin

Earthworm Jim

Super Street Fighter II (better than SNES, with the six button pad)

Desert Strike series

Gunstar Heroes

Sonic Series (not a huge fan, but they were great games)

NHL Hockey and Madden series (up to about 95 or so)

...other than that, I found the SNES did most of the other ports better.

I'm kinda kicking myself for not grabbing a TurboDuo recently, and that system had a lot of great games that were close enough to NES, just with much better graphics. But the Genesis never really did anything extremely well, IMO.

If you feel like it, please put down a few choice titles that you liked for the system (maybe some great arcade shooters?....and thanks!

47465361.jpg

• Like 2

My favorite console games of all time are on the SNES, but the Genesis is one of the best consoles for fast paced action games; shooters, beat em ups, sports, etc. For example, I haven't played a Final Fight style beat em up on another system that is more fun than Streets of Rage 2 and Golden Axe.

'

The control pad for the Genesis. The three button original is a nightmare, IMO, because the D-pad is notoriously 'squishy' and isn't as quick and responsive as the Nintendo d-pads (from any system, really). The size is a bit large as well, and not very ergonomic. This was completely addressed when they released their stellar six button variation (as I mentioned in my posts), and the D-pad is redesigned and awesome...perhaps the most awesome d-pad, IMO.

I don't like the Genesis D-pad either. I don't even like it on the 6-button controller. Imprecise and sloppy, IMO. Still love the Genesis though.

I don't like the Genesis D-pad either. I don't even like it on the 6-button controller. Imprecise and sloppy, IMO. Still love the Genesis though.

There are quite a few variants of that D-Pad. Ones with smooth slippery plastic that aren't so good, ones with coarse, firm plastic that are more accurate, ones that sink into the controller when pressed and ones that don't. This makes at least 4 d-pad types on the 3-button controllers and 1 on the 6-button. The worst of the bunch are the oldest ones - the ones with the red markings on the A, B and C buttons and around the d-pad.

My favorite was the firm plastic that doesn't sink into the controller when pressed. It is the most precise. The first one I had seen of this type came bundled with a late Sonic 1 Genesis 1 bundle which did not have the ext port or HD graphics labeling. The cord was half the length of most controllers you find. Comfort-wise the 6-button controller beats it, but not in certain games like Battletoads/Double Dragon where you need high accuracy.

• Like 2

"Imprecise and sloppy"? Uh.. That doesn't sound like the original Sega-manufactured six-button from the early '90s to me.

That does sound right to me! I also felt that the controllers were cheaply made and broke easily! I had to buy three new ones during my time playing them!

Anthony...

Whar went wrong with them? They did seem kinda delicate but I made sure not to drop, hurl, throw them at a wall. Did they wre out prematurely?

Who knows.. I've personally never had an official Sega six-button break on me. Ever.

What I'm curious to know is if people are confusing them with the Majesco versions of the controller, which came about when the Genesis Model 3 hit, and that's the model six-button controller that has been replicated since.

Getting the everdrive is a great idea for the geneis especially if you like the shoot em ups. I would say though get the MEGA EVERDRIVE and not just the everdrive. it costs a bit more but you can do save states on any game which is really nice, loads games faster, and I think something else. In my opinion the save state is worth the extra money. Especially if you play any RPG's or shoot em ups and you don't want to have to start from somewhere way back, or worse start over.

Getting the everdrive is a great idea for the geneis especially if you like the shoot em ups. I would say though get the MEGA EVERDRIVE and not just the everdrive. it costs a bit more but you can do save states on any game which is really nice, loads games faster, and I think something else. In my opinion the save state is worth the extra money. Especially if you play any RPG's or shoot em ups and you don't want to have to start from somewhere way back, or worse start over.

I second that!

Yes, I'd make sure to get the full-blown version, whatever that may be. I've read a little into it and I hear that the CD capability is integrated into this multicart, and that would be great to be able to play those games as well (always wanted to try the infamous Night Trap, for better or worse). I guess there's no way to get the 32X games that way, is there? A one-stop 'everything Sega' multicart...does such a thing exist?

I guess there's no way to get the 32X games that way, is there? A one-stop 'everything Sega' multicart...does such a thing exist?

I know the Everdrive MD supports 32X (and Master System) games, and I assume the superior Mega Everdrive does as well. You do still need a 32X to play the games, of course.

I've read a little into it and I hear that the CD capability is integrated into this multicart

Whoa, I don't know where you got that impression, but you definitely can't use the Mega EverDrive to emulate/simulate a Sega CD, or to load ISOs or BIN/CUEs.

You can use it to temporarily change the BIOS to run Japanese or PAL games, and I think the Mega-ED can also serve as a backup RAM cart, but that's about it on the Sega CD front.

You can keep the Mega everdrive in the system even if you want to play a CD game. It does allow you to play genesis games and master system roms on your genesis which is very nice. You can play 32X games with the mega everdrive, however if you want save state with regular games and maybe something else, I can't remember off the top of my head, you must disconnect the 32X. Not a big deal, but hopefully they can update the firmware in the cartridge to do it eventually. I have the CD unit and it is really nice. Best thing about it is that there is no copy protection on the CD's and you can find everygame in iso image online and just burn them to CD. you don't have to buy them.

Edited by metzger130

What I'm curious to know is if people are confusing them with the Majesco versions of the controller, which came about when the Genesis Model 3 hit, and that's the model six-button controller that has been replicated since.

No. Those Majesco D-pads are horrible. I thought that was a given.

I'm talking about an MK-1653. And mind you, I'm not saying it's terrible. It's nowhere near as bad as the Majesco. In fact, "sloppy" probably carries connotations in most peoples minds that are too strong for what I'm saying about the MK-1653. "Sloppy" should probably be reserved for a description of the Majesco pad. Nevertheless, the D-pad on the MK-1653 is imprecise enough to be noticeable and annoying. I especially have problems with it in the Street Fighter games. It's the primary reason I prefer the SNES versions of those games.

Whoa, I don't know where you got that impression, but you definitely can't use the Mega EverDrive to emulate/simulate a Sega CD, or to load ISOs or BIN/CUEs.

You can use it to temporarily change the BIOS to run Japanese or PAL games, and I think the Mega-ED can also serve as a backup RAM cart, but that's about it on the Sega CD front.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking maybe you could plug a version of an everdrive into a 32X for that range of titles, but I guess not....it's funny when I read comments on youtube (I know, mostly just crap) dissing 32X. I really thought it was cool at the time, even though it was expensive. It offered a lot of games I thought looked great, and I think that the 80s arcade titles were worth the price of admission alone (considering decent home versions of those games were still a ways off).

No. Those Majesco D-pads are horrible. I thought that was a given.

I'm talking about an MK-1653. And mind you, I'm not saying it's terrible. It's nowhere near as bad as the Majesco. In fact, "sloppy" probably carries connotations in most peoples minds that are too strong for what I'm saying about the MK-1653. "Sloppy" should probably be reserved for a description of the Majesco pad. Nevertheless, the D-pad on the MK-1653 is imprecise enough to be noticeable and annoying. I especially have problems with it in the Street Fighter games. It's the primary reason I prefer the SNES versions of those games.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

How comfortable one is with the 1653 may be dependent on the player and how their thumb is typically positioned and how heavy they move it. I do think that depending on one's play style, the floating d-pad of the Genesis six-button pad could potentially be problematic for some, since it essentially allows for easier diagonal movements (and thus easier screw-ups if you don't use it with precision), especially if one has a heavy hand. Myself personally, I play very light on the d-pad and precise, so I never find myself having issues with it, it's perfect for me (likewise with the Saturn pad and other similar "floating" d-pads).

Anyone suggest a place to order the Everdrives?...I've been to SAG's site, but they were sold out.

Retrogate.com. That's the online store of the original developer, krikzz. Don't buy the Everdrive from resellers, as you're giving less money to the guy that we hope makes more of these, and more money to the people who are riding his coat tails.

• Like 1

Everdrive would be a fantastic way to explore the Genesis. Although the games are MUCH cheaper than say the SNES they will, if you go for boxed versions(and why not) take up a bit more space than loose SNES carts. I picked up a SNES Everdrive a few months ago and its been fantastic. But also allowed me to basically start selling my SNES carts which are going for much more now than I initially paid for them.

Dude, you weren't kidding about the prices of these games used! I just picked up three volumes of John Madden for THREE DOLLARS...93 thru 95! That's a crazy deal for three awesome (IMO) football games; had a lot of fun with Madden, got me into 'real' football back then. Even though I'm still getting an everdrive, three bucks for three carts is insane...cheaper than the VCS games right above them!

Then I looked at a MIB copy of MUSHA on ebay :D

Retrogate.com. That's the online store of the original developer, krikzz. Don't buy the Everdrive from resellers, as you're giving less money to the guy that we hope makes more of these, and more money to the people who are riding his coat tails.

Thanks a lot, JibJab. This site is easy to navigate, everything is in stock and it's one stop shopping, just the way I like it :D I'm going to pick up two of them, but a question you might know the answer to:

I was considering going with the 'super' versions of the SNES and Genesis Everdrives, but for the extra costs it seems like I might not need to. I don't require save states, even though it would be a nice touch, I don't game that way (I'm too crusty, I guess!) regularly. I think the Super Everdrive has a maximum cart size, so perhaps it won't play 'all' SNES games, but I'm not sure. I'm not techy enough to figure out all the noted features, but I assume that the basic versions will get me there with 90% of the games for these systems. As I don't develop games, I wouldn't need the developer tools (at least that's what it seems they're geared for) but the options to get to the main menu with a button press seems helpful, but again, not at the extra cost.

Thanks again for the tip!