IGNORED

Do you use a "Homebrew Joystick"? - Post your pics!

I haven't built a Joystick, but my Uncle did for the Sinclair ZX81, over 20 years ago.. When he moved on to a IBM PC Syetem, he gave me ALL his Sinclair stuff......

It is setup to mimic Keyboard Presses..

Kit Sinclair ZX81 with Home Built Joystick Mod ( DSC0157 )

• Like 5

I like to build 'em big! :-o

NES, Atari:

8513022754_f506b59223.jpg

8513059886_f0ec3bb52b.jpg

Later on I added paddles to it:

9369981880_71f58a8549.jpg

Full gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/72157629736738048/

SNES:

9366930869_e5cb43ea9a.jpg

Full Gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/72157634800361528/

I'm also planning an "ultimate" 4-in-1 Genesis/Atari/SNES/NES arcade box in the future. Stay tuned...

Last but not least, feel free to share the following image:

joystick_envy_by_stardust4ever-d5vq08m.j

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/Joystick-Envy-355612342

:rolling:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 4

I haven't built a Joystick, but my Uncle did for the Sinclair ZX81, over 20 years ago.. When he moved on to a IBM PC Syetem, he gave me ALL his Sinclair stuff......

It is setup to mimic Keyboard Presses..

The world may never know how many TS1000/ZX81 games were ruined by forcing the player to use the keyboard...

Great re-tasking for an old cart!

Funny story about that. I tried everything to get Ms. Pacman working before I parts her out. I cleaned it, reflowed the solder on the rom chip, I even disassembled my Ti and cleaned all its contacts. Finally I declared her dead and used the case for my splitter. Shortly after I found out the atari games didn't work on the later Ti I was using. I also have an older model it would have worked on but I failed to try that one. Oops.

Edited by Dripfree
  • Like 1

I got an atari stick that looks stock but I installed clicky tactile switches in it just for a better feel. I do credit it to getting better at certain games.

I use that stick on all my atari systems, and my TI 99/4a with my custom made Ms. Pacman joystick splitter.

Those tactile switches look sweet, I might have to try that myself!

I did that to my atari controller, but with low profile ones, it works great but I think its a bit stiff since they sit off the board higher than the domes. I also did it to an nes advantage, the stick was great but those big arcade like buttons were like hitting a concrete wall with your finger after a little while

I did that to my atari controller, but with low profile ones, it works great but I think its a bit stiff since they sit off the board higher than the domes. I also did it to an nes advantage, the stick was great but those big arcade like buttons were like hitting a concrete wall with your finger after a little while

Try laying BOTH your index and middle fingers on top of the 'big arcade like button', then use alternating finger presses. Not only will you be able to increase your rate of fire, you won't wear out a single finger because each one will be doing only half the work. :)

• Like 1

Is that an NES pad I see, LOL!

gallery_35324_1072_83092.gif

Yeah, you build 'em big allright! EXCELLENT POST!

My controller boxes are 18"x8"x4" (Atari is 8"x8"x4") Believe it or not, they are very comfortable to play sitting in my lap, although I'll admit the Atari paddles are awkward to use due to their location on the sides.

Bigger controllers exist. Some dude built a coffee table sized NES controller and is selling them on Etsy for approximately $2800 for painted or $3500 for natural wood. Nice novelty item but highly impractical for gameplay use:

The rats nest of wires hanging out the side around 21 seconds in the video made me cringe.

The coffee table NES controller was largely my inspiration for building the NES Arcade box. Mine uses custom built circuits (no vintage controllers were harmed) and has extra components stuffed in with discrete digital turbo and slow motion logic with a 4-position selector switch: 30Hz (one frame on, one off), 15Hz (two frames on, two off), 7.5Hz, and 3.75Hz. The black buttons above the red ones are turbo.

7201696706_60759742ff.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 3

Is that an NES pad I see, LOL!

Used to be...two, actually. Now it's a huge improvement over the stock Vectrex controller. Really good for Rockaroids and pretty much anything else I play on that console.

I will say I'm not a fan of the square corners and don't see how people used those NES controllers for hours and hours and hours.

When (okay, if) I finish my other retrogaming homebrew project, I found a much more hand-friendly form factor to put a controller in.

Built these, too, but am no longer in possession of either:

100_1720.JPG

100_1704.JPG

Edited by BigO
  • Like 2

I'm totally digging that flight stick on the bottom.

Thanks. I *almost* bought one of those joysticks the other day at Goodwill to make another one of those, but I mustered up some self-restraint...must...finish...other...projects...first...

Despite having built two controllers now that I really liked, I currently have no working 5200 controllers. :roll:

Thanks. I *almost* bought one of those joysticks the other day at Goodwill to make another one of those, but I mustered up some self-restraint...must...finish...other...projects...first...

Despite having built two controllers now that I really liked, I currently have no working 5200 controllers. :roll:

I've noticed that true analog joysticks are a rarity. In order to build a 5200 box, you'll need an analog joytick with two simple pots in it. Thumbsticks are cheap, typically around $2.50 or so. Adafruit sells one with a PCB attached for $5-something, but I've seen cheaper parts that you solder on to prototype board yourself.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/512?gclid=COupma6Inb0CFWxp7Aod4zwA7w

2axisthumbstick_MED.jpg

On the arcade end of the scale, you have a couple options from Ultimark in the $50 range which use advanced Hal effect sensors which require a dedicated controller interface. These joysticks can be configured into an infinite number of possible digital layouts, or used as analog with a dedicated controller, typically USB only, with optional wired modes for 360/PS3. These are great for emulator based MAME cabinets, but useless for a pad-hack game controller or dedicated analog joystick (5200 or otherwise). A pad hack requires functional pots to work, and I know of no interface to convert a Hal effect, induction, or other fancy joystick tech to work with a cheap clone gamepad PCB that expects pots. However, Happ does manufacture a real analog joystick designed to interface rare arcade cabinets that actually use analog input, but the price tag is $162!

http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/joysticks/50-2876-00

50-2876-00.jpg

"This product is manufactured under a technology license agreement with Atari Games Corporation®" - Maybe that explains the premium price? Shouldn't the patents on this stuff be long expired???

Also, there is no guarantee that this joystick will be suitable for a pad hack because the usable range of the pots may not be accurate. The overall value of the pots is not the factor here since any range of pots will make a suitable voltage divider; it is the usable range that's critical to the mission. Too large to too small a freedom of movement and the game may not play correctly. Most standard pots have about a 300 degree movement. Joysticks typically have a maximum excursion of 15 degrees from vertical in any direction. Thumbsticks typically tilt much further than joysticks, up to 30 degrees from vertical, so there is a very good chance that one of these ludicrously expensive joysticks may not have sufficient range to work properly with a padhacked arcade joystick. Ideally, a short travel pot of about 90 degrees would need to be used, then trim pots (4 total) need to be added on either side of the joystick pots to pad the usable range of the joystick, which can be properly calibrated to yield the same range of movement the game console expects. Short throw potentiometers with about 90 degrees travel do exist, but I checked in another forum somewhere, and these are only available as custom orders from the manufacturer in quantities of 1000 or more, or in some cases can be bought individually for $40+ a piece, hence an otherwise industry standard $2 part becomes stupid expensive because it's custom fabricated.

So it would require an enormous investment to create a homemade 5200, N64, or analog mode dual stick joystick. X-Arcade is digital only with adapters for modern systems so it's out of the question. OneStick is a UK company I'm not terribly familiar with that produces gaming devices targeted at people with disabilities that prevent them from holding a game pad. Their quasicon arcade panel contains dual analog, but the analog sticks appear very flimsy compared to normal joysticks. It makes me wonder if they're simply just using beefed up thumbsticks with extension rods. Such a device would likely not hold up to repeated abuse since the rod acts as a lever, aka a small force on the end of the oversized rod would apply incredible stress on the tiny mechanism inside. Also, the button layout leaves much to be desired. Sadly, it appears the company is either making these in house or is not providing a source for the parts. Just look at the tiny analog "pea shooters" compared to the 8-way joystick in the back...

large-quasicon.jpg

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-large/quasicon.htm

My next joystick project will be a two-in-one Genesis/SNES with two SNES mappings optimized for fighters and platformers. By design the stick will also be backwards compatibility with Atari/NES. Believe it or not, I've been using my arcade controllers just as much if not more than the original gamepads, and I would love to someday build an N64 arcade box with an analog stick. I've already got a suitable layout drawn up. I'm not spending $200 on the joystick along as that's just stupid. Mario Kart 64 or Super Mario 64 would be awesome with a joystick.

Oh, and the original 5200 design sucks ass, no offence to anyone. 5200 is in dire need of a dedicated arcade control, moreso perhaps than any other retro console IMO.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Found another analog, a bit pricey at $85 but IMO way cheaper than the HApp solution. It's very small as the joystick is only 43mm (about 1 3/4") long, way too tiny to mount under MDF or Plywood.

http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/arcade-style-large-analog-joystick-with-round-ball-top

Again, an analog joystick that appears to be designed for mobility applications. I have no idea if the movement is good enough to use for joystick applications. Rubber grommet looks cheap but I have no idea without holding it in my hands and feeling it. If movement is stiff or slow, it might be still great for powered wheelchairs but not so good for gaming.

EDIT: Mods, maybe the previous two posts belong in a new thread? I'm getting way off topic.

Edited by stardust4ever

For the 7800

post-5812-0-63227400-1395184016_thumb.jpg

For Intellivision

post-5812-0-82439600-1395184025_thumb.jpg

Granted arcade parts would be better for actual gameplay, but I like these plug and plays because the parts are all in there and in the case of the Intellivision, there is already a batter compartment and battery door/AC outlet.

For the 5200, I use an adapter that lets me use this guy:

post-5812-0-92761900-1395184135_thumb.jpg

• Like 1