IGNORED

NES getting a fan remake as Analogue Nt

It's typical NES clone double talk. "We've completely reengineered the NES while remaining true to the original hardware." What does that even mean? Is it a clone or isn't it? Can't have it both ways. Plus, they're putting way too much emphasis on their pretty case. Gives me flashbacks to the Generation NEX, and that is not a good thing.

I'll give NT all the chances in the world to prove me wrong, and I'd be happy to see a real new NES in the world. Just saying... We've been here before.

I agree with the rat. This is Generation NEX all over again. Pretty surprised to see AI making something like this. Their CMVS systems and sticks are extremely high quality. This system may look pretty (although I personally don't think so) but it's going to be some kind of NES-on-a-chip or FPGA kind of deal. And for what I'm sure it will cost, you can get a nice refurbished and RGB-modded NES toaster unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda interested in where this goes. Considering their NeoGeos are on back order I'd imagine they'll sell a lot of these. My biggest problem with clones is that they're generally cheap feeling garbage that is prone to breaking after 5 minutes.

If they manage to get a robust quality product that feels like it will last forever....I bet they'll do really well.

I've never been a huge fan of NeoGeo games but I kinda want one of their units just because it looks like a nice high quality product.

There are plenty of nice, high quality CMVSes out there. His sticks however are excellent, but need further modification to reach their full potential.

I'm starting to feel like AI is more about the glitz & glamour and less about the games. Today Christoph announced that this new thing of his will come in different anodized colors, but he's still hush-hush about the specs of the system.

I'm starting to feel like AI is more about the glitz & glamour and less about the games. Today Christoph announced that this new thing of his will come in different anodized colors, but he's still hush-hush about the specs of the system.

This is really starting to get on my nerves, and it's not specific to AI... all clone manufacturers are doing this. Mum's the word on anything that actually matters, but they promote their gimmicks all day long. Get a clue, people. You're not releasing a next-gen system with brand-new technology, you're re-releasing stuff that was probably designed during the Carter administration. These companies shouldn't be worried about their design being copied, they should be worried about their customers not having enough faith in the performance. Performance has been the stumbling block of every single clone so far.

• Like 1

The only way I'd see myself interested in this is if SCART/RGB was an output option. At it's price for (which I assume is quite high) I'd also expect weird things like vs system support or built in flash carts.

I see no reason to blow big money on another aftermarket clone of a common, walmart-grade system. I have a stack of those already.

I also can't say that I'm attracted at all to the shape of that initial drawing no matter what color it is.

I would spend big money on clones, though. Just an idea, but a stackable or mini rack-mounted systems that provide common inputs, a single power source, and single output for a variety of systems--that is something I'd pay AI money for.

Edited by Reaperman

The only way I'd see myself interested in this is if SCART/RGB was an output option. At it's price (which I assume is quite high) I'd also expect to chuck vs system games into it.

I see no reason to blow big money on another aftermarket clone of a common, walmart-grade system. I have a stack of those already.

I also can't say that I'm attracted at all to the shape of that initial drawing no matter what color it is.

I would spend big money on clones, though. Just an idea, but a stackable or mini rack-mounted systems that provide common inputs, a single power source, and single output for a variety of systems--that is something I'd pay AI money for.

If the price is high enough you're better off getting a toaster NES and an RGB board. Unless this thing can do HDMI or something.

If the price is high enough you're better off getting a toaster NES and an RGB board. Unless this thing can do HDMI or something.

I've been thinking a lot about those RGB boards lately. Composite is just awful. My cheaper side has also been considering getting an adapter for snes and using scart from there.

The fact that I even possess a 'cheaper side' pretty well rules me out for this device right from the beginning, I suppose.

Edited by Reaperman

I've got my money tied up in the pre-order for the Hyperkin Retron 5 "Master of None" device. I still might consider this if it supported flash carts.

Not sure what you mean by master of none. I have a RetroN5 and it does some things better than any other clone (or original) system I have used. Picture quality being the main thing. I have never seen classic games look as crisp and clear on a modern TV. Its sound quality is also pretty dang good IMO.

EDIT: I realized some people may think I am a whack job since the RetroN5 hasn't been released. To prove it you can see it in my latest walk-through video: http://youtu.be/gJtc5DmtRjk?t=2m21s

Not sure what you mean by master of none. I have a RetroN5 and it does some things better than any other clone (or original) system I have used. Picture quality being the main thing. I have never seen classic games look as crisp and clear on a modern TV. Its sound quality is also pretty dang good IMO.

EDIT: I realized some people may think I am a whack job since the RetroN5 hasn't been released. To prove it you can see it in my latest walk-through video: http://youtu.be/gJtc5DmtRjk?t=2m21s

Not a reflection on you. I pre-ordered it through you although I avoid pre-orders as a matter of practice. I meant to consolidate my systems into just the Retron 5 but it doesn't support flash carts. This thing is basically a cheap Android box with a cart slot like a Retrode - but it wont allow you to back up your carts and play them on an SD. It keeps the disadvantages of physical carts (wear and clutter) and the disadvantages of emulation (no peripheral or flash cart support).

Not a reflection on you. I pre-ordered it through you although I avoid pre-orders as a matter of practice. I meant to consolidate my systems into just the Retron 5 but it doesn't support flash carts. This thing is basically a cheap Android box with a cart slot like a Retrode - but it wont allow you to back up your carts and play them on an SD. It keeps the disadvantages of physical carts (wear and clutter) and the disadvantages of emulation (no peripheral or flash cart support).

Here's the thing. Yes it would be nice if you could back-up your carts, but I completely understand why they don't allow it. Hyperkin is a small company that has invested a significant amount of money into the RetroN5. So much so that if it flopped hard it might put them on the brink of going out of business. So it is a risk on their part. If they allowed ROM back-up they may draw unneeded attention from other companies, like Nintendo and Sega. Yes there is a very good chance neither of those companies would care, but all it takes is one asshole lawyer sending a cease and desist to screw everything up. The last thing Hyperkin would ever want is to have to deal with lawyers or even possibly going to court over the RetroN5. Even if there was a good chance they would win. They are not in a position to take a stand.

You think Hyperkin doesn't allow cart back-ups just to screw over their customers or because they are just oblivious? No, I am sure they understand by allowing it, that they would probably actually sell more units. But its a risk vs. reward. The RetroN5's main target isn't you or me or most people even on this forum. Its for casual retro gamers that want something that can play their own carts on their new TV with some modern conveniences. Simple as that. That's where the money is.

I won't be shocked if the R5 eventually gets hacked to allow exactly what you want anyways. Most of these types of devices do. So I think a lot of people are making a big stink over nothing. Will flash carts ever work? Probably not, but honestly if all you care about is playing ROMs on emulators then there are other options out there, many of them cheaper. I understand some people already have flash carts they would like to utilize, but those people will be quite a small minority of RetroN5 owners. You can't worry about pleasing everyone.

Just to be clear, I am not a Hyperkin fanboy by any means. I have been publicly and privately (to Hyperkin) vocal about many of their sub par or out right junk products. From my experience so far the RetroN5 is a good product and from my experience with Hyperkin and their developers they seem to be taking issues seriously. There was one issues (which I can't talk about now because of NDA) that I told them would be a huge problem for some people and may be the biggest thing some people complain about it. A few weeks later a developer personally contacted me and said he believes that they fixed the issue and wanted me to try out the fix.

Sorry I deviated from the topic quite a bit, probably should end this R5 talk in this thread, but if anyone wants to carry it on the the RetroN5 thread I would be happy to. Or if you want to see some of my opinions on the system you can go over to the DigitPress forums and check out the RetroN5 topic there.

• Like 1