IGNORED

HSC11 Round 5: Platform"E"rs

I'm going to take a short break from HSC action but Goochman and JellE will be running things for a few weeks.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

It would help if HSCers suggest games to play on the games list in good time and take part in the votes!!! - If you can please try and check games work on NTSC systems (using emulator). Please say if you think a game is good enough on it's own for the 2 week period or if it's a smaller game that should be played with something else. Have fun everyone.

Best wishes,

Jason

doomw2

Doomworld = 20,560

I got to third stage and lost three ships before I could tell where I even was on the screen. Just looked like a bar graph to me. Can't say Doomworld is my favorite game.

Jason: Since I don't know, I am going to assume that good things are going on for you like you won a tropical cruise. Won't be the same without you. Hurry back.
  • Like 1

Doomworld = 20,560
I got to third stage and lost three ships before I could tell where I even was on the screen. Just looked like a bar graph to me. Can't say Doomworld is my favorite game.
Jason: Since I don't know, I am going to assume that good things are going on for you like you won a tropical cruise. Won't be the same without you. Hurry back.

Same happened to me, although with just one ship. The ship is down the bottom of the screen towards the right. It seems as though if you take off you immediately crash into something.

doomw3

Doom World = 23,110

Got to third stage again and died straight away. I see where the ship is now but, don't see how to avoid my demise.

I am beginning to despair and believe that my little space ship which reminds me much of both a zeppelin and a yellow submarine will be trapped in Doom World forever. :(
Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Easy Money - $62

post-4925-0-69775200-1396151226_thumb.jpg

Egon - Level 6 [Just couldn't beat this level! ...Maybe tomorrow!?]

post-4925-0-47254100-1396151227_thumb.jpg

Electro Maniac - 60,262 points

post-4925-0-25349700-1396151228_thumb.jpg

Escape from Doomworld - 10,410 Points [Once I saw that this becomes like Choplifter! I was not into this game at all. I like this game's first levels much better.]

post-4925-0-96741600-1396151228_thumb.jpg

I'm extremely limited for time tomorrow, but I might play this some more if I get a chance.

My favorite game this round was, by far, Electro Maniac! It's a great game and it would have been a true classic if it had been released in the 1980's when it was made.

I thought that I was going to like Easy Money! the least, but it turns out that my least favorite was Escape from Doomworld. Maybe I just need to give it another go?

Egon (or, more properly someone pointed out it's called "Crazy Egon") is a pretty good game. It's even better knowing that it's written in BASIC... with some ML help (I guess?). Could anyone point me to a pdf of the original German magazine issue that published this game? I won't be able to read it, but I'm curious about the artwork. Also, I'd give Crazy Egon 2 a go if anyone comes across it.

I know that I'll be giving Electro Maniac! a whirl in the future-- that one is a true keeper. I wish that an NTSC version was available, as I'd play it on real hardware.

Egon - "Ende in Bild 3" - a bit of a poor man's Miner. Liked the countdown on the "catch ghosts", though! Not bad for a BASIC Game (the code of which is surprisingly short).

Electromaniac: Level 3 (35625) - clearly best of round!

Easy Money: errr 12 - nice graphics, but controls a bit slow

Escape from Doomworld: 5100 - never got past level 3, controls need getting used, too, died a lot of frustrating deaths jumping into robots instead of over them

Shameful last minute-attempt, feels much like writing homework on the school bus....

NTSC on Atari800OSX, as usual.

Edited by slx
  • Like 1

Don't forget Electrician. Bob left an open ended challenge to complete it.

It's a great game, albeit a bit difficult towards the end. When we played it a couple of years ago I came close to finishing it.

Take the version of the game in the HSC 8 round 12 thread as this one was hacked to make it completable

Edited by McKong

Electro Maniac!

[...] luckily it also comes with a construction set so If anyone wants to tweak any of the existing levels we could improve the game or produce some new levels and create a disk between us?!

NEW: Dual language Level Editor & Game disk Bonus Points for any new levels :thumbsup:

I'm really still quite liking Electro Maniac! To bad it's so very tough. The "E" round finished up a few days ago, but is the creating "New Levels for Electro Maniac!" challenge still considered "open" (like beating all levels in "Electrician?"). I'd like to design a few levels (and make them easier!), but I probably will only give it a go if someone might acutally play the levels! So, when does the design of levels for this game end... or has it already?

I'm really still quite liking Electro Maniac! To bad it's so very tough. The "E" round finished up a few days ago, but is the creating "New Levels for Electro Maniac!" challenge still considered "open" (like beating all levels in "Electrician?"). I'd like to design a few levels (and make them easier!), but I probably will only give it a go if someone might acutally play the levels! So, when does the design of levels for this game end... or has it already?

Well Bob's not around at the moment to make a ruling but if he were I'm sure he would be happy to leave that open if you are keen. I will play any new levels that you make. Perhaps if you get time you could have a look at level 18. Do you think it's possible to complete, perhaps I missed something but I coudn't see a way to get back down from the top of the screen?

I've had a couple of goes on Electrician. I got to the last house yesterday but very quickly lost my remaining lives!

I'm sure [bob] would be happy to leave that [challenge] open [for designing levels for Electro Maniac!] [...] Perhaps if you get time you could have a look at level 18. Do you think it's possible to complete [?]

Thanks for making a decision to keep the challange open. It might be a little while before I get to make some levels, but it sounds like a lot of fun!

As for getting past level 18... first I have to make it that far first. This game is very hard and I've only made it to level 4 (or 5?). I've been thinking about using save states to see more of the game. I think I read that there were 37 levels. Which seems like an off number of them. To bad that there isn't a cheat to choose the level that you want to play.

New levels for Electro Maniac welcome at any time, would be great if we could come up with a new batch between us all.

I thought the level editor disk would come with the levels the same as the game but it has 'bonus' levels between each of them... not sure if all are there. Another idea would be to re-do the levels to make them easier - slower lifts and bugs - you can't adjust these features but they can be removed and re-added. Post anything new on the main A8 forum thread I started (about the English ver of the Editor)... I'll keep my signature link active :)

p.s. remember in the editor you can "test" levels

There are [were] bound to be a few scoring cluck-ups* and omissions, so please check your scores! Either way I think it's congratulations to powersoft :thumbsup: (again?!!!) and joint winner McKong :thumbsup: (both players ahead on two games and game scoring not really comparable) :-o

SIO2 bagged 2nd place and scooped up three of the NTSC bonus points, with orpheuswaking taking the other one. Impressive performance by McKong on Electro Maniac!

I enjoyed this round was nice to try some different games as there was no real block-buster E game. I kinda liked Easy Money, thought it seemed slightly quicker with the music off but I could be wrong... will play some more when we have a catch-up round later in the season.

@Powersoft did you say that Easy Money had a second round with different graphics? Did it have different/harder levels? How many screens were there/did you have to get all the money to complete it? you could be due some bonus points!

The Electro Maniac! level design challenge remains open I will add it to the Scores and Statistics thread: Bonus HSC points for creating any Electro Maniac! levels - Combined Editor & Game Disk it's really quite easy and good fun too. If anyone needs any help just post :)

*bally - I put you down for level 5 on Electro Maniac - can you remember where you got to?

Final Tables (possibly?!!)

1st powersoft (p) 114 12pts

1st McKong(p) 114 12pts
3rd SIO2 (n) 112 13pts*/*/*
4th therealbountybob (p) 110 9pts

5th ballyalley (n) 107 9pts
6th NIKON (p) 98 8pts
7th orpheuswaking (n) 96 9pts*
8th GornThrifting(p) 93 7pts
9th slx (n) 87 6pts
10th roadrunner (n) 76 5pts
11th Sikor (p) 70 4pts
12th darthkur (n) 54 3pts
13th Champions_2002 47 2pts
14th a8isa1 (n) 10 1pts

Electro Maniac! (level reached)
1st McKong (p) 18 30
2nd powersoft (p) 7 29
3rd therealbountybob (p) 5 28

3rd Sikor (p) 5 28
3rd orpheuswaking (n) 5 28
3rd ballyalley (n) 5?? 28

7th NIKON (p) 4 24
8th SIO2 (n) 4 24
9th GornThrifting(p) 3 22
9th slx (n) 3 22
9th darthkur (n) 3 22
9th Champions_2002 3 22
13th roadrunner (n) 1 18

Easy Money ($)
1st therealbountybob (p) 64 30
2nd SIO2 (n) 62 29
2nd ballyalley (n) 62 29

4th powersoft (p) 61 27
4th darthkur (n) 61 27
6th NIKON (p) 54 25
7th McKong (p) 44 24
8th orpheuswaking (n) 41 23
9th Sikor (p) 39 22
10th GornThrifting(p) 37 21
11th roadrunner (n) 18 20
12th slx (n) 12 19
13th a8isa1 (n) 10 18

Escape from Doomworld (score)
1st McKong (p) 23,560 30
2nd SIO2 (n) 23,110 29
3rd powersoft (p) 21,960 28

4th darthkur (n) 16,710 27
5th GornThrifting(p) 16,210 26
6th NIKON (p) 15,660 25
7th therealbountybob (p) 13,910 24
8th ballyalley (n) 10,410 23
9th slx (n) 5,100 22
10th orpheuswaking (n) 4,610 21
11th Sikor (p) 2,000 20
12th roadrunner (n) 2,000 19

Egon (level reached or 10 for completing the 6 levels)
1st powersoft (p) 10 30
1st SIO2 (n) 10 30
1st McKong (p) 10 30

4th therealbountybob (p) 6 27
4th ballyalley (n) 6 25
6th Champions_2002 5 24
7th NIKON (p) 3 24
7th slx (n) 3 24
7th orpheuswaking (n) 3 24
7th GornThrifting(p) 3 24
7th darthkur (n) 3 19
12th roadrunner (n) 2 18