IGNORED

Fred Kaal's Module Creator

atrax27407

1 hour ago, rgjt said:

This is the site where I found a list of all versions. 

https://www.theoldcomputer.com/emulators/index.php?folder=Texas-Instruments/TI-99-4A/WIN/Classic99

I started with the newest version and worked my way down the list until one worked, which happened to be the 398 version.

It's strange that I'm not able to get the 399.043 version working on my XP SP3 as it's a relatively simple setup with very few programs on it.

When the error screen appears, it's a generic Windows error message, .... send report to MS ......

I don't have that computer connected to the internet, so I am not concerned about "hacks".

I will try to reinstall 399.043 and see what happens since 398 is working.

I reinstalled v399.043 and it still doesn't work on XP SP3.

I reinstalled v398 and it works so I suppose that's the version that I will be using until I can figure out why 399.043 doesn't.

BTW, Attached is the error file that Windows creates. It doesn't mean much to me.

d2ef_appcompat.txt

14 hours ago, rgjt said:

This is the site where I found a list of all versions. 

https://www.theoldcomputer.com/emulators/index.php?folder=Texas-Instruments/TI-99-4A/WIN/Classic99

I started with the newest version and worked my way down the list until one worked, which happened to be the 398 version.

It's strange that I'm not able to get the 399.043 version working on my XP SP3 as it's a relatively simple setup with very few programs on it.

When the error screen appears, it's a generic Windows error message, .... send report to MS ......

I don't have that computer connected to the internet, so I am not concerned about "hacks".

I will try to reinstall 399.043 and see what happens since 398 is working.

I offer no support whatsoever for versions downloaded from anywhere other than Harmlesslion.com. There's no way for me to know if they were modified.

I don't care if you're concerned about hacks, viruses and rootkits affect compatibility.

399.043 works fine on a stock XP with Service Pack 3 installed:

Classic99_XP.thumb.jpg.26b6d2c73ba94f79994e919cecbb6541.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know what that d2ef_appcompat file is for...

Anyway... I don't mean to derail this thread. But the official stance is: it should work. ;)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 7:12 PM, rgjt said:

I'm wondering if it's possible to include a new option in the modulecreator that allows users to select a memory address range for creating a BIN file much like what classic99 does.

Modulecreator is so much easier to use than classic99 in making the BIN files. 

A create tool for all TI users.

Just for fun I disassembled the SAVE utility and created a SAVE2  that also saves the >2000 to >2700 section.

Save.a99 is the source of the original TI save utility. Save2.a99 is the source for the updated save utility. Save2 is the V9T9 version of the updated save utility.

Enjoy

Fred ;-)

save2

save.a99 save2.a99

• Like 9

21 hours ago, rgjt said:

Thanks again Fred.

You have given me some home work. I will be trying the Editor/Assembler version V that is on the FinalGrom99 to reassemble the MD, ME and MF program using the built-in LL and see how that works in comparison to the "old" SAVE method to create the E/A Option 5 program file.

BTW, I finally found a version of Classic99 that works with my old XP SP3 computer. It was version 398. Any newer version would never load up including under Vista. 

I now need to figure out which method is the best to transfer files between the TI and the old XP computers using the factory TI RS232 card. I realize there's an update to modify the RS232 card that allows greater file and disk functionality, but at the moment I just want to try the factory RS232 card using either a serial or parallel cable according to some of the schematics that I've seen on the forums.

That said, I came across the CfHdxS1 version 2.0 on the ti99-geek.nl site that might allow me to use the factory RS232 card, but unfortunately, the link is broken as I get the following error:

Not Found

The requested URL /Projects/ti99hdx/Files/pgmhdx_v20.zip was not found on this server.

Regardless, it appears that I have a lot of catching up to do since I last used the TI back in 1987 or so.

Fixed, The latest version is CfHdxS1 version 2.2, forgot to update the HTML code ;-)

Edited by F.G. Kaal
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tursi said:

I offer no support whatsoever for versions downloaded from anywhere other than Harmlesslion.com. There's no way for me to know if they were modified.

I don't care if you're concerned about hacks, viruses and rootkits affect compatibility.

399.043 works fine on a stock XP with Service Pack 3 installed:

Classic99_XP.thumb.jpg.26b6d2c73ba94f79994e919cecbb6541.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know what that d2ef_appcompat file is for...

Anyway... I don't mean to derail this thread. But the official stance is: it should work. ;)

I will reinstall XP from scratch together with SP3 and see if it fixes my problem.

Thanks

6 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Just for fun I disassembled the SAVE utility and created a SAVE2  that also saves the >2000 to >2700 section.

Save.a99 is the source of the original TI save utility. Save2.a99 is the source for the updated save utility. Save2 is the V9T9 version of the updated save utility.

Enjoy

Fred ;-)

save2 3.38 kB · 3 downloads

save.a99 12.39 kB · 3 downloads save2.a99 12.9 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks Fred, you are quick in resolving these issues. A tip of my hat to you.

Cheers

11 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Enjoy

Fred ;-)

save2 3.38 kB · 5 downloads

save.a99 12.39 kB · 5 downloads save2.a99 12.9 kB · 5 downloads

I tried it with the original MD, ME and MF files and it works great. Thank you so much for revising the SAVE utility. 

I need to look at the difference between both *.a99 codes and see what changes were made.

I'ts been such a long time since I've worked with the assembly code.

Like I said earlier, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Again, thanks Fred. You're a master TI developer. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 6:42 AM, F.G. Kaal said:

Enjoy

Fred ;-)

save2 3.38 kB · 6 downloads

save.a99 12.39 kB · 7 downloads save2.a99 12.9 kB · 7 downloads

Fred,

I tried using the Editor Assembly V BIN from the FinalGrom99 and discovered that under Option 3 - Load and Run, it will not display the characters of the program name for the SAVE MEMORY IMAGE file name after entering of the separate object filenames.

When I type the filename for the SAVE MEMORY IMAGE at the bottom of the screen (see attached screenshot), no characters are displayed below the ENTER FILE NAME? at the bottom of the screen.

Instead there is only a cursor and a single character that is displayed at the top left hand corner of the screen, seems like screen location (1, 1).

Pressing enter after typing the full name results in BAD FILE NAME below the STATUS: line.

In fact this same error exists for any of the previous versions of the EA BIN files between EA II right up to EA V. 

I went back to the real EA cartridge or use the FW4.1 or FW4.4 EA modules in order to link the object files.

BTW, this error happens with either the SAVE or SAVE2.

Not being well versed in disassembling, I'm not sure where to begin to fix this problem. 

It appears that the filename to create the program image is not being recognized whatsoever.

FYI, the rest of the EA options all work on all versions.

Cheers

Roger

DSC_6136.JPG

Edited by rgjt
Forgot additional comments and attachement

19 hours ago, rgjt said:

Fred,

I tried using the Editor Assembly V BIN from the FinalGrom99 and discovered that under Option 3 - Load and Run, it will not display the characters of the program name for the SAVE MEMORY IMAGE file name after entering of the separate object filenames.

When I type the filename for the SAVE MEMORY IMAGE at the bottom of the screen (see attached screenshot), no characters are displayed below the ENTER FILE NAME? at the bottom of the screen.

Instead there is only a cursor and a single character that is displayed at the top left hand corner of the screen, seems like screen location (1, 1).

Pressing enter after typing the full name results in BAD FILE NAME below the STATUS: line.

In fact this same error exists for any of the previous versions of the EA BIN files between EA II right up to EA V. 

I went back to the real EA cartridge or use the FW4.1 or FW4.4 EA modules in order to link the object files.

BTW, this error happens with either the SAVE or SAVE2.

Not being well versed in disassembling, I'm not sure where to begin to fix this problem. 

It appears that the filename to create the program image is not being recognized whatsoever.

FYI, the rest of the EA options all work on all versions.

Cheers

Roger

DSC_6136.JPG

Yes I also discovered this. And the reason is that the original EA module start an option 5 progam with GPLWS (>83E0) and an option 3 program with USERWS (>20BA). The EA V module start both kind of programs with GPLWS and that clashes with the keyboard SCAN utility.

I will fix this later, but you don't need the SAVE/SAVE2 utility for EA V because it has a better build in loader. See the manual here:

https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Modules/edas5/edas5.html#edas_5

paragraph "use the loader".

and here:

https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/linking_loader/linking_loader.html

paragraph "LL comands"

In short:

Create a DV80 file with the binary files you need to load and define what you want to save, i.e like this (I assume that SFIRST is the first and executable word of your program and SLAST is at the end (SLOAD is obsolete here but not forbidden to define).

.L DSK1.PART1

.L DSK1.PART2

.L DSK1.PART3

.S DSK1.PROGNAME FIRST SLAST >2000 >2700

Save this as a DV80 file, i.e. DSK1.PROGNAME;L

Now choose option 3 Load and run end enter:

@DSK1.PROGNAME;L

This is much more sophisticated and you have more control of what you want to save.

Fred ;-)

Edited by F.G. Kaal
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Yes I also discovered this. And the reason is that the original EA module start an option 5 progam with GPLWS (>83E0) and an option 3 program with USERWS (>20BA). The EA V module start both kind of programs with GPLWS and that clashes with the keyboard SCAN utility.

I will fix this later, but you don't need the SAVE/SAVE2 utility for EA V because it has a better build in loader. See the manual here:

https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Modules/edas5/edas5.html#edas_5

paragraph "use the loader".

and here:

https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/linking_loader/linking_loader.html

paragraph "LL comands"

In short:

Create a DV80 file with the binary files you need to load and define what you want to save, i.e like this (I assume that SFIRST is the first and executable word of your program and SLAST is at the end (SLOAD is obsolete here but not forbidden to define).

.L DSK1.PART1

.L DSK1.PART2

.L DSK1.PART3

.S DSK1.PROGNAME FIRST SLAST >2000 >2700

Save this as a DV80 file, i.e. DSK1.PROGNAME;L

Now choose option 3 Load and run end enter:

@DSK1.PROGNAME;L

This is much more sophisticated and you have more control of what you want to save.

Fred ;-)

Fred,

Thanks for the providing the reason why and also the links into using your loader. 

I'm not up to speed with all of the new software and how things are now being done when it comes to the Editor Assembly stuff after a 35 plus year hiatus.

There's a lot of catching up to do.

I appreciate what you have done in pointing in the right direction.

Furthermore, I am looking forward into the new version of EA5 that will eventually support the SAVE MEMORY IMAGE option.

Cheers, Roger

On 5/7/2021 at 8:05 PM, rgjt said:

Fred,

Thanks for the providing the reason why and also the links into using your loader. 

I'm not up to speed with all of the new software and how things are now being done when it comes to the Editor Assembly stuff after a 35 plus year hiatus.

There's a lot of catching up to do.

I appreciate what you have done in pointing in the right direction.

Furthermore, I am looking forward into the new version of EA5 that will eventually support the SAVE MEMORY IMAGE option.

Cheers, Roger

Roger,

An updated version if EA5 is available here https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Modules/edas5/edas5.html#edas_5

But there was another problem; the save program returns to GPL (B @>0070) but EA5 is not a GPL program. So I also updated SAVE and SAVE2 to version 2 and these programs return with B *R11 to the calling program. Both the original Editor/Assembler module and EA5 can handle this. What were those people thinking back in 1981 ;-)

savesave2save.a99save2.a99

• Like 3

4 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Roger,

An updated version if EA5 is available here https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Modules/edas5/edas5.html#edas_5

But there was another problem; the save program returns to GPL (B @>0070) but EA5 is not a GPL program. So I also updated SAVE and SAVE2 to version 2 and these programs return with B *R11 to the calling program. Both the original Editor/Assembler module and EA5 can handle this. What were those people thinking back in 1981 ;-)

save 6.38 kB · 4 downloads save2 6.63 kB · 4 downloads save.a99 12.8 kB · 4 downloads save2.a99 13.31 kB · 4 downloads

Fred,

You're awesome. 

I don't believe the people working on the TI project back in 1981 were ever thinking that the 99er was still to be around and used 40 years in the future. They had no vision I suppose.

• Like 4