IGNORED

Developing a new language - ACUSOL

Pab

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, folks.

Well, I spent the last two years fighting foreclosure and losing.

We then needed to find a new house. So we found a cheap one in Western New York near my mother.

Then right after we closed on the house my mother died.

Anyway, I've been distracted.

Update will follow.

So today I finally got back into the code to try and figure out what was going on. I spent the better part of a month trying to track this down while distracted with everything else before laying it aside. I was ready to gut my expression evaluation code and start over.

So today I updated to the newest build of Lazarus, thinking some bugs in that compiler might be causing problems with my stepping through and tracking down the bug. I was right. Once I was able to step through the execution without it bombing back for some reason, I found the problem.

All this time planning to pull out and replace the entire expression evaluation system and rewrite it? All I had to do was change:

s := AnsiRightStr(st,Length(st) - LinePosition);

to

s := AnsiRightStr(st,Length(st) - LinePosition + 1);

What happened with tebe's code is that instead of parsing and compiling "x+5" the compiler only saw "+5" and added 5 to the current value: 0.

Months of trying to find the problem and then two years of worrying about it on top of everything else and it was STARING ME RIGHT IN THE FACE.

tebe's code now shows the correct result. I need a drink before I get back into this.

• Like 8

I only had to make one minor change to tebe's code. In Sparta a Print statement without an EOL will be immediately overwritten by the command prompt when control returns to DOS. I had to try it under AtariDos to make sure it was outputting and I didn't have a new bug on my hands.

Anyway: here's proof of the fix.

post-12895-0-37769600-1498438108.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 years later...

Back at work on it after all these years. Finding a new problem in object procedure calling and reconciling myself to having to throw out and completely rewrite my expression evaluation to take operator precedence into account.

• Like 4