Jump to content
Pab

Developing a new language - ACUSOL

Recommended Posts

How's this project coming along? I was thinking about it and it's possibilities, it has kept me awake while trying to sleep! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, folks.

 

Well, I spent the last two years fighting foreclosure and losing.

 

We then needed to find a new house. So we found a cheap one in Western New York near my mother.

 

Then right after we closed on the house my mother died.

 

Anyway, I've been distracted.

 

Update will follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So today I finally got back into the code to try and figure out what was going on. I spent the better part of a month trying to track this down while distracted with everything else before laying it aside. I was ready to gut my expression evaluation code and start over.

 

So today I updated to the newest build of Lazarus, thinking some bugs in that compiler might be causing problems with my stepping through and tracking down the bug. I was right. Once I was able to step through the execution without it bombing back for some reason, I found the problem.

 

All this time planning to pull out and replace the entire expression evaluation system and rewrite it? All I had to do was change:

s := AnsiRightStr(st,Length(st) - LinePosition);

to

s := AnsiRightStr(st,Length(st) - LinePosition + 1);

What happened with tebe's code is that instead of parsing and compiling "x+5" the compiler only saw "+5" and added 5 to the current value: 0.

 

...

 

Months of trying to find the problem and then two years of worrying about it on top of everything else and it was STARING ME RIGHT IN THE FACE.

 

tebe's code now shows the correct result. I need a drink before I get back into this.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terribly sorry to hear the news. Welcome back though, and congrats on finding the bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to go back reading through this thread to figure out where I had left off. Shocked to see how close I actually was when things fell apart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only had to make one minor change to tebe's code. In Sparta a Print statement without an EOL will be immediately overwritten by the command prompt when control returns to DOS. I had to try it under AtariDos to make sure it was outputting and I didn't have a new bug on my hands.

 

Anyway: here's proof of the fix.

 

post-12895-0-37769600-1498438108.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...