IGNORED

New Gauntlet game

cimerians

Finally a Gauntlet game that resembles the old arcades as compared to previous modern Gauntlet games:

Looks pretty good so far:

I think it's only for Steam and Steam OS which is fine with me although this would make it big on consoles (for couch co-op).

Arrowhead does a game called Magicka on PC which is pretty good actually:

http://www.magickagame.com/

• Like 6

Looks more like Diablo than anything else to me. And I don't get the hate for Dark Legacy and Seven Sorrows. I thought both were excellent, although Seven Sorrows was extremely short by comparison.

• Like 1

Dark Legacy was easily one of the best co-op multiplayer games for the PS2.

Seven Sorrows was horrible. Not to be even considered part of Gauntlet canon. It's like they took a Diablo clone in the works and just put the Gauntlet name on it.

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident this may turn out pretty good as I like what they did with Magicka.

I tried to play Seven Sorrows more than once and just did not like it.

My favorites on PS2 were the Champions games, Baldurs Gate and then Dark Legacy but I considered Dark Legacy more of an arcade type game.

I think it's only for Steam and Steam OS which is fine with me although this would make it big on consoles (for couch co-op).

This includes the Steam Machines. More importantly to me... SteamOS support implicitly means Linux support. My money is in hand. They need only to take it.

• Like 2

I'm pretty confident this may turn out pretty good as I like what they did with Magicka.

I tried to play Seven Sorrows more than once and just did not like it.

My favorites on PS2 were the Champions games, Baldurs Gate and then Dark Legacy but I considered Dark Legacy more of an arcade type game.

Seconding the love for the console Baldur's Gate games. The Bard's Tale remake played almost exactly the same as was a lot of fun too. Are there any other similar titles I'm missing? Hunter: The Reckoning was basically Gauntlet with Guns in Graveyards.

• Like 1

Seconding the love for the console Baldur's Gate games. The Bard's Tale remake played almost exactly the same as was a lot of fun too. Are there any other similar titles I'm missing? Hunter: The Reckoning was basically Gauntlet with Guns in Graveyards.

Yeah there was Fallout Brotherhood of Steel which I didn't like too much and the not so great D&D Heroes on Xbox. I think Bards Tale was good and I also kind of liked Demon Stone.

Justice League Heroes by Snowblind was very good although the early levels of the game forced you to play only as certain DC heroes. I still liked it a lot though.

X-Men and X-Men 2 were some more games but IMO not as well done as Justice League.

I'm not so sure about this. It looks okay, but.. Eh, I don't know. If they are going to make it more action oriented (as they clearly have, big special attacks, blood and enemies that take a lot of hits to take down), they should have stuck with the camera angle/style of the Legends/Dark Legacy games. So what we are going to have is a game that mildly resembles the classic gauntlet, but plays nothing like it.

I was a big fan of Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy. Played both into the ground at both the arcades and at home. I know those weren't as true to the original Gauntlet experience, but they were special to me.

Seven Sorrows I did enjoy, until I realized that the game only saves your progress through the game, and not the progress of your characters (experience, levels, etc.). It made continuing off from a saved game next to impossible. One of the dumbest design choices I've ever seen in a video game. Unless the XBOX version I was playing was buggy or something?

Yeah there was Fallout Brotherhood of Steel which I didn't like too much and the not so great D&D Heroes on Xbox. I think Bards Tale was good and I also kind of liked Demon Stone.

Justice League Heroes by Snowblind was very good although the early levels of the game forced you to play only as certain DC heroes. I still liked it a lot though.

X-Men and X-Men 2 were some more games but IMO not as well done as Justice League.

Forgot all about Demon Stone! Worth every bit of the $1 I paid for it. :) I enjoyed the X-Men Legends games too... the two Fantastic Four games played the same way. Also the two Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. If we're going in that direction then Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu fits the bill too and was quite good, although there's a mission where you have to beat 100 thugs in a set time frame and I could never quite get past it. I'll have to seek out Justice League Heroes.

I'm not so sure about this. It looks okay, but.. Eh, I don't know. If they are going to make it more action oriented (as they clearly have, big special attacks, blood and enemies that take a lot of hits to take down), they should have stuck with the camera angle/style of the Legends/Dark Legacy games. So what we are going to have is a game that mildly resembles the classic gauntlet, but plays nothing like it.

I was a big fan of Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy. Played both into the ground at both the arcades and at home. I know those weren't as true to the original Gauntlet experience, but they were special to me.

Seven Sorrows I did enjoy, until I realized that the game only saves your progress through the game, and not the progress of your characters (experience, levels, etc.). It made continuing off from a saved game next to impossible. One of the dumbest design choices I've ever seen in a video game. Unless the XBOX version I was playing was buggy or something?

My Seven Sorrows always saved character progress. That's a really odd bug.

My Seven Sorrows always saved character progress. That's a really odd bug.

Yeah mine is ok. I can try it out sometime and see what happens but I'm pretty sure mine saved my character info.

I'll have to seek out Justice League Heroes.

Definitely!

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I think it looks great!!

As a big fan of both Diablo & Gauntlet, I'm not upset if this new game resembles one more than the other.. I do wish it had console (360, ps3) support from the start, because I'm not sure how my PC will handle it.

• Like 1

Yeah mine is ok. I can try it out sometime and see what happens but I'm pretty sure mine saved my character info.

I don't know if I maybe ran into a bug, but it was the XBOX version and it only saved my character information and what stage I was at. It didn't save my levels and experience or anything like that. I had played it for a couple of hours and had made some decent progress. Up until that happened, I was actually enjoying the game. Felt like they took whatever engine Legends ran on and beefed it up.

I've been really happy with the way that Warner has been treating their venerable licenses. From the Mortal Kombat game going back to 2d on the PS3/360, to the Hydro Thunder Hurricane Downloadable game, and this. Just looks fantastic, I have high hopes.

But I really don't game on PC much (or really at all apart from emulation), so I'm hoping they release it for 360.

Partially because they never did release Torchlight 2 for console, which is a shame (loved the console version of Torchlight, couch gaming at its best, a great follow to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance if you ask me!).

• 1 month later...

This would make a killing on consoles (multiplayer) but like I mentioned in my case it doesn't bother me since I have a PC rigged up for couch co-op etc.

I bet if it becomes popular enough it will make it like Torchlight did (although that was single player only)

Edit:

Just saw this on Arrowhead's facebook page:

-------

JohnF---

Hey guys, please please make Gauntlet for PS4!!!!!!!!

LikeLike · · May 19 at 10:15am near Jasper, AL

Arrowhead Game Studios We hear you, that will be very much up to Warner Bros. and Sony

-------

I have to believe Warner is the problem as Sony is by far more indie friendly than anyone I have seen short of the Ouya but who knows.