IGNORED

New Gauntlet game

cimerians

• 3 months later...

Not that I was overly excited about this game, but I'll probably be passing on it unless it lands on the PS3. Made the mistake of actually reading WB's additional eula they make you agree to for it. :P

4. Consent to Monitor. When the Game is running, WB Games may monitor your computer for the use of programs that violate Section 1. You hereby grant WB Games permission to monitor your computer for purposes of identifying such use and communicating potential violations to WB Games.

9. Patches and Updates. WB Games may apply patches, updates and modifications (collectively, “Updates”) to the Game at any time, including Updates to the Game installed on your computer. Updates are not optional. You agree that WB Games may deploy and install updates remotely, with or without your knowledge, and you hereby provide your consent for WB Games to download and apply such Updates.

Why the hell did they put the standard Seizure warning in the eula? That usually goes at the beginning of the game...

From the looks of it, this has a potential online requirement? Can anyone confirm if this is unplayable offline? (The single player mode obviously)

• Like 1

Not that I was overly excited about this game, but I'll probably be passing on it unless it lands on the PS3. Made the mistake of actually reading WB's additional eula they make you agree to for it. :P

Why the hell did they put the standard Seizure warning in the eula? That usually goes at the beginning of the game...

From the looks of it, this has a potential online requirement? Can anyone confirm if this is unplayable offline? (The single player mode obviously)

This is very common these days on PC so yeah if it bugs you just wait cause I'm sure a console port will happen if its popular but I wouldn't worry about it honestly

You can play offline but since its an online multiplayer game they also want to check for cheats (these usually run in real time as a windows background process) or other apps that can violate terms that you may be running on your computer that affect gameplay, many AAA multiplayer games do this these days especially Bioware, Blizzard, Valve etc.

This is modern gaming today. :P

As far as forcing you to update --> reason is because many hacked games need to STAY at a certain version or else the mod or hack no longer works. Them forcing you to update is a way for them to try and control this. I know its bad but I personally dont mind.

There's debates about this stuff all the time......here's a thread on steam for it:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/258970/discussions/0/613937306548782746/

Seems most of the comments there are apathetic towards what's being forced on you to apologetic to the corps.

Yes, this is modern gaming. This is part of the many reasons why I don't do a heck of a lot of gaming on PC as well. If I had a game-only PC, I'd probably be less concerned as well, but then the main question/concern I have wasn't addressed. Can the game be played in offline mode for Steam. (Obviously after you connected to download/install it.)

If the game has an online requirement regardless of if you're playing single player, I simply don't want it. (And the same will hold true if they hold that online requirement if they move it to consoles later on.) As when they do that, they basically throw away all their arguments of them trying to catch the cheaters and hackers (And according to the leaderboards, apparently that hasn't happened at all) and the real reason they did it becomes simply to be used as DRM.

Totally understandable. Does WB own the rights to Gauntlet from Midway? Arrowhead should have done this on their own but seeing they can't, they are forced to agree to their terms.

Well...I tried it out last night and they recommend that (not force you) to create a WB account on top of that EULA agreement.....kind of like Bioware and the Dragon Age games.

5 thoughts on this game (I only went through a few levels as a Barbarian):

1. Its kind of hard in the beginning going solo but I think it levels off later on, I think its about right but I haven't played much at all.

2. Barbarian, Valk control the same like the arcade or Diablo. Elf controls like a twin stick shooter and Wizard is....different. If you played Magicka you have to do a Mortal Kombat combo to use a spell. Something like Down-Left-X for FIREBOLT, Down-Right-A for ICE etc. That spell stays active and to change back to another spell you need perform the combo for the spell you want to switch to. It takes getting used to and I'm not sure if that was a good idea to do. Newcomers may hate it.

3. Valkyrie is pretty awesome although I started out as a Barbarian. Her shield can block pretty much anything. Elf was somewhat unappealing to me and the Wizard reminded me too much of Magicka which I dont think I really wanted in this game but I may try him out at some point.

4. It plays like Gauntlet (1985) and Diablo (1996). It also has nice 80's sound effects from time to time. The graphics are not the greatest and the camera is panned a little too far back.The voices are pretty good for some characters and for others kind of silly.

5. Graphically it was glitchy for me me since I had to adjust the resolution. The default the game gave me didnt work but I'm running an HDMI splitter and that has something to do with it as when I unplugged the splitter I had no problems.

Not sure what to make of this yet since I haven't played a lot but I like it...its definitely fun to play for hack n slash Gauntlet fans. Looking forward to playing some more tonight but I think it might be better mutliplayer or co-op. The controls might put some people off but they are pretty solid once you get used to them.

This should have been made on consoles. Its a total console like game.

• Like 2

hmmm.... maybe if this shows up in a flash sale....

At this point yes I definitely recommend a flash sale. 20 bucks is pushing it and I dont think its worth it. Its nice but not $20 nice.

I'd give it a 7 for solo play and probably 8 for multiplayer but I still haven't gotten very far and I should switch to another character soon.

There is some form of character progression but not to the point where its required to stick with one of them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/07/gauntlet-slayer-edition-announced-for-ps4

This game is coming out on PS4....I beat it as a Barbarian and played a little bit online with a friend on PC. I still would rate it around a 7. Its not great and it doesn't stink. Its just "OK". 20 bucks is still pretty steep IMO though but may be worth it for those dying for some local co-op gameplay.

• 1 month later...

Here are the changes to the PS4 version, it's quite a lot actually. I'll definitely buy this again on a sale or something but still dont want to shell out (another) 20 bucks. Someone asked about a physical version of the game, not sure that will happen as they didn't confirm one way or another:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/08/11/gauntlet-slayer-edition-out-today-on-ps4-new-features-detailed/