IGNORED

Great Games Unique to a Console?

"Unique" is becoming a relative term. Yars' Revenge is one of the best Atari 2600 "exclusives," but that word requires quotes now because the game was later released for the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. Several other great Atari 2600 "exclusives," from Adventure to Solaris, have also since been ported to other platforms. And every month it seems homebrewers have ensured another "exclusive" title is no longer so exclusive. Perhaps, great games that were unique to a console during that console's commercial run?

With that you can name pretty much all of the games that feature the Nintendo rogues gallery, at least from the NES onward. Most of the Genesis Sonic games also sort-of count; the SMS and Game Gear versions of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 were very different from the Genesis versions, enough that Sega could have gotten away with giving them different names, like Nintendo did when turning Super Mario Bros. into Super Mario Land on the Game Boy. On the other hand, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic + Knuckles are definitely Genesis exclusives, and among the best of the series.

XBox owners I'm sure would count the Halo series.

The original Guitar Hero was only for the PlayStation 2. Guitar Hero II was the first multi-platform game in the series.

The Gran Turismo series is exclusive to Sony's consoles.

The early Final Fantasy games were for only one console at a time, at least until the first PlayStation got all those remakes. Ports and updates of the entire series have been appearing ever since.

I have a soft spot for the "Zillion" games, exclusive to the Sega Master System. Zillion is not entirely unlike Impossible Mission, while Zillion II: The Tri Formation mixes Lifeforce-style SHMUP-ing with MegaMan-style platforming.

This hedges the definition of "console", but I kinda consider any home computer that takes game cartridges a de facto semi-console:

Tandy CoCo - Downland, Dungeons of Daggorath

TI-99/4A - Parsec

Since the OP mentioned the Dreamcast, I quite enjoyed Toy Commander.

Jumping back to the classic era, I also like Loony Balloon on the Odyssey^2 a lot.

And there were tons of great exclusives released on the Intellivision -- Tower of Doom and Thin Ice, to name but two -- but one unreleased title to single out is the bug-fixed version of King of the Mountain that IntelligentVision put out a while back. Really nice game, that one.

• Like 1

Intellivision gets mentioned a bunch. I was thinking about Utopia, Truckin', Microsurgeon, D&D Cloudy Mountain, and Swords and Serpents. So many unique games. That's one of the reasons I really like this system (and the Turbografx 16).

Utopia is also on the Aquarius.

Are there any great games out there which only made it to one classic system...but that you feel should have been ported to everything else?.

I am very fond of the Odyssey 2 and some of the unique titles in its library.

Turtles is one of the few arcade conversions for that console, and I am not sure it it was converted for any other systems.

The whole genre of mixing a board game with a video game was unique to the O2, and it still is, as far as I know. With the recent surge in the popularity of board gaming, this seems like an idea that someone else could leverage to do some interesting things.

Killer Bees and UFO were already mentioned, though Killer Bees was recently ported to Zx Spectrum. It would be interesting to see what could have been done with UFO on the arcade technology that was available around 1980.

Though KC Munchkin is very much a Pac-Man clone, it has some uniqueness that would make it very interesting to see it on other systems (and I believe someone is working on a 7800 version right now).

For other platforms:

Utopia is a game that very much made me want to own an Intellivision when I was young.

Here's my list one games I would have liked to seen on multiple systems:

Tandy CoCo - Downland, Amazing World of Malcom Mortar
TI-99/4A - Parsec, Tunnels of Doom, Alpiner, Hunt the Wumpus
Atari 5200 - Space Dungeon
ColecoVision - Pepper II, Cosmic Avenger, Looping
O2 - Killer Bees, Attack of the Timelord, Pick Axe Pete
2600 - Frostbite, Gravitar, Haunted House, Adventure, E.T.
Vectrex - Rip Off (other than the recent 7800 homebrew)
Astrocade - Ms Candyman, Pirates Chase
INTV - Thin Ice, AD&D "Cloudy Mountain", Thunder Castle
These two technically don't count but should since neither were widely available here in the States nor most other places other than Japan.
Bosconian - MSX, Sharp X1
Crazy Climber - 2600, Famicom, WonderSwan, SFC
Now I'm going to nitpick both because I'm obsessive and that I'm irked that I got beat out for a second time on ebay for the complete series of Stargate Universe this morning. :twisted:
Head On (2600 "Dodge 'em") was also released : Head On/ (Power Racer "US title") Game Boy, Dodge 'Em (Amiga), Mill (ZX Spectrum), Bullet (VIC-20), Ed-On (Mattel Aquarius), (ZX Spectrum), Car Wars (TI-99/4A), Dodge Racer (Atari 8-bit)
Scramble - also on C64, Vic-20 (as VIC Scramble), Tandy Co-Co (as Skramble but in game title screen has it spelled corectly), Tomy Tutor, plus the awesome 7800 homebrew!
Squish 'Em Sam also on Atari 2600, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, MSX, VIC-20
Turmoil - also on Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, MSX, VIC-20
Microsurgeon - also PCjr, TI-99/4A
Loco-Motion - also Tomy Tutor
Edited by darthkur
  • Like 2

I'm not entirely sure I understand this thread. Is it about:

1) Games that (up until very recently) have only been available on one particular system, but would need more ports

2) Games that have one superior version on a particular system, and that version would be worthy porting

3) Games that were so good on one system that be a key point in selling/owning it, even if equal versions were to be had on other systems, and equal ports would be demanded

Also I like the idea to add home computers to the list.

As for e.g. Trailblazer, the very first version was made for the Commodore 16 & Plus/4, and soon after ported to the C64, Atari 8-bit, MSX etc. The version to Gizmondo is rather a remake, even if it might be one of the best games for that device.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Now I'm going to nitpick both because I'm obsessive and that I'm irked that I got beat out for a second time on ebay for the complete series of Stargate Universe this morning. :twisted:

Squish 'Em Sam also on Atari 2600, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, MSX, VIC-20

Turmoil - also on Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, MSX, VIC-20

I'm gong to nitpick back because you used 2 of my choices in your nitpick. Atari 8-bit, C64, MSX and VIC-20 are not consoles. Platforms yes, but not consoles. Also, a homebrew port of Squish Em Sam on 2600 doesn't count, nor should any homebrew count.

Edit: Just saw your post carlsson and I disagree - the OP said console, which is a different beast. I think computers should be left out of a discussion of unique console games.

Edited by glazball

. Also, a homebrew port of Squish Em Sam on 2600 doesn't count, nor should any homebrew count.

I've mentioned Christmas Carol for Intellivision and it is an original uinque Intellivision homebrew! :thumbsup:

In this case it's not a homebrew making a game less 'unique' for a system but on the contrary. :)

I'm gong to nitpick back because you used 2 of my choices in your nitpick. Atari 8-bit, C64, MSX and VIC-20 are not consoles. Platforms yes, but not consoles. Also, a homebrew port of Squish Em Sam on 2600 doesn't count, nor should any homebrew count.

Edit: Just saw your post carlsson and I disagree - the OP said console, which is a different beast. I think computers should be left out of a discussion of unique console games.

Alright, I should have made mentioned Squish 'Em being a homebrew like I did with the others but console or not the the computers should most definitely count since what it a game console really but a computer without a keyboard? The 5200 is basically an Atari 400 in a different case. Not that it matters terribly in the grand scheme of things. We're just having fun here. I love all of the different versions of games across every system. It really is a shame we didn't get more of them. Perhaps we still can with the great homebrew scene that currently exists.

hehe yea, twas just a nitpick. Still holding firm that computer platforms shouldn't count if discussing consoles. Especially back then, there were clear divisions between a "console" and a "home computer." Consoles were for the kids and family, hooked up to a regular television, had a joystick/controller, no keyboard and were for games and games only. Computers were for dads and nerds, had a keyboard, and games were only 1 use out of many. I think that idea has carried through even through today. Sure, the Dreamcast had an optional keyboard and mouse, but no one would call it a "home computer."

Anyways, sorry to derail your thread OP. My vote for best unique game on the DC: Cannon Spike!

I'm not entirely sure I understand this thread. Is it about:

1) Games that (up until very recently) have only been available on one particular system, but would need more ports

2) Games that have one superior version on a particular system, and that version would be worthy porting

3) Games that were so good on one system that be a key point in selling/owning it, even if equal versions were to be had on other systems, and equal ports would be demanded

Also I like the idea to add home computers to the list.

As for e.g. Trailblazer, the very first version was made for the Commodore 16 & Plus/4, and soon after ported to the C64, Atari 8-bit, MSX etc. The version to Gizmondo is rather a remake, even if it might be one of the best games for that device.

It's a flexible thread. Interpret it your own way! :)

FWIW, I was interested in a list of great games available only on one dedicated game console that should have been available on others. That list wouldn't include home computers, and that's why I was wondering about Trailblazer. It's one of my favourite A8 games (even with its blocky graphics), and I was surprised that it hadn't made it to a dedicated game console.

Especially back then, there were clear divisions between a "console" and a "home computer." Consoles were for the kids and family, hooked up to a regular television, had a joystick/controller, no keyboard and were for games and games only. Computers were for dads and nerds, had a keyboard, and games were only 1 use out of many.

The Odyssey^2 throws a bit of a wrench into this, though, don't you think? :)

I personally think the defining trait of a pre-CDROM platform is whether or not it takes game cartridges. If it does, e.g. the Tandy CoCo or TI-99/4A (or even the PCJr.), then it's got one foot in the console world and is at least a hybrid system; if it doesn't, e.g. the Apple II or TRS-80 Model III, then it's wholly a computer.

Speaking of the Odyssey^2: it's not really an original game mechanic, but I think Smithereens aka Stone Sling is the system's "killer app".

Also, there are a bunch of fun exclusives on the Sega SG-1000 -- most famously, Girl's Garden -- but they're slowly being ported to the ColecoVision.

• Like 2

C64 also was predated by Max Machine, at least in Japan. ;-)

Anyway, good point about Trailblazer by Gremlin Graphics. I suppose the only console they possibly would've released the game on back then would have been the Sega Master System, given there was a MSX port, that the SMS was strong in the UK and that Gremlin a few years later had games released on the Megadrive (and actually Zool for the SMS).