IGNORED

Coleco Gemini S-Video mod?

Satoshi Matrix

Last weekend, I got a deal I couldn't pass up - a perfect condition Coleco Gemini, both its original controllers, two other third party controllers, a "Y" splitter (for Warlords I'm assuming), cables, and 28 games in perfect condition with all their manuals as well, for $30.

I had played the Gemini when I was a kid, and always thought it was the best looking and best designed 2600.

So in this day and age, I just gotta replace the RF. I know there are boards out there that can be built for composite, and even boards that can get S-Video out of the 2600. What about the Gemini?

Does anyone know if the Gemini can be S-Video modded, and what parts would be needed? I can provide high res shots of the board if need be.

I recently acquired my first Gemini and here's the install I just completed... almost, I'm waiting on a switch to use for the pause function. The stock switch doesn't stick out far enough to be used. The purple wire that's sticking out of the screw post is for the pause switch.

I omitted the trimmers on the mod board and put in the appropriate resistors after dialing in the values that looked best. With where I chose to locate the board, there simply wasn't enough clearance for them.

I used a 8 pin mini din connector for all outputs and there is an adapter cable that goes from the 8 pin to composite, s-video, and right + left audio. The cable fits in the stock opening snugly and I may end up filing the hole just a touch to loosen up the fit a bit.

I will likely add a power LED that shines up through the power switch hole when I'm ready to button it all up.

post-26765-0-37461600-1395491547_thumb.jpg post-26765-0-25842500-1395491549_thumb.jpg

post-26765-0-09668400-1395491551_thumb.jpg post-26765-0-64232000-1395491552_thumb.jpg

Edited by atariguy1021
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

How did I miss this?!

First, thanks for taking the time and posting pictures. Much appreciated.

Second, great job using one connector for all the signals, why don't I think of these things? :D. Love that.

I love its controller. Some games work great with the short stick like Jr. PAC Man. The paddles are easy to clean since the potentiometer carbon is part of the circuit board and not in a metal can.

Do you have a Harmony? You should test the TIA by running "2 or 3" and Omegamatrix's "Circus Atariage" balloon test.

Have you found any games that have odd display problems? I've seen some problems with 1977 gray TIA's and in a 7800 with Byte Knight's and my DK Arcade 2600. (Link in my signature.)

2or3.bin

BalloonTrial(NTSC).bin

I didn't cut any traces. I did remove some resistors though. I had a few people message me with regards to this and gave them the pin equivalents between the Atari TIA and the clone TIA in the Gemini. The pins of interest for the video mod are below. I found some information that others had posted, but they contained errors. I removed the resistors to isolate the pins that are bent up during the standard video mod.

Atari Gemini

2 5

5 6

6 8

7 4

8 7

9 9

12 27

13 28

• Like 2

• 2 months later...