IGNORED

Do you lock down your consoles?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you lock down your video game hardware?

• Definately
    • Only some of them
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Most of my games are packed away in a large cardboard box inside of my closet. It is really to heavy and awkward to grab and run off with; it is also unlabeled and sitting directly next to a very similar box full of old shoes. :ponder: The games that I am currently playing are in an open box on the floor next to the console. The Atari 2600 (and my Famiclones and some PNP games) is locked inside of a big steamer trunk; it would require some time with a hacksaw to get that open.

Honestly, I am rather more concerned about someone stealing my laptop as that is much more salable than my PS 2 console.

I wonder when the first collector who sent his or her items to VGA to have them graded, valued and sealed into plastic boxes with a value tag on the side, gets visited by burglars. IMHO it would be like advertising to the thief that here is something valuable you can steal and supposedly be able to offset on the market.

Actually, that would be about the dumbest thing a criminal could steal. Every VGA case has a tamper resistant serial number inside it with online verification. If one of those got stolen and showed up for sale on eBay or elsewhere, it could be traced very easily. That and rare or high dollar collectables are much harder to offload on the street than common stuff. Thieves are after common but expensive things like consumer electronics (TVs, computers, ipads, etc), jewelery, power tools, current generation video game consoles, name brand bicycles, etc. Stuff like fine art, vintage items, or otherwise high dollar collectibles are difficult to find a buyer for and can easily be identified by the police. Half the time theives don't even know whether something old has value so they usually leave it behind for loot they know they can make a quick buck on.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

It's a Photoshopped image. The notion of locking down a console seemed pretty ridiculous though, so I thought it fit.

Assuming you lock the doors on your house, I don't see how this is an issue. Maybe a public display at a gaming expo I could understand the need for locks, but in your own house. Unless you're the type that invites over half the town for rave parties, and if you do, you're probably not a retro gamer and can afford to replace whatever your guests plunder.

I think one of my younger cousin's friends made off with my N-Gage QD, my copy of Earthbound, and my Neo Geo Pocket Color a few years back. My cousin and his family were staying with me at the time and he invited his friend over.

I've since replaced everything and the thief in question no longer lives in this state, but in general I've never been too concerned about it.

I think one of my younger cousin's friends made off with my N-Gage QD, my copy of Earthbound, and my Neo Geo Pocket Color a few years back. My cousin and his family were staying with me at the time and he invited his friend over.

I've since replaced everything and the thief in question no longer lives in this state, but in general I've never been too concerned about it.

What a prick! I'd of been mad too... :mad: