IGNORED

Another mystery device?

batari

Since new products seem to be fashionable, I thought I'd show my own mystery device.

Sorry, no hints. You'll never guess what it is ;)

post-5792-0-45792300-1395369991_thumb.jpg

Actually, one hint: I'm predicting that certain parts will be hard to find and/or expensive, and Concerto owners will want a certain functionality with their carts so I'm making my own replacement that uses off-the-shelf, modern parts, just in case my prediction is right. I hope that hint didn't make it too obvious :D

• Like 26

Since new products seem to be fashionable, I thought I'd show my own mystery device.

Sorry, no hints. You'll never guess what it is ;)

attachicon.gifhokey.jpg

Actually, one hint: I'm predicting that certain parts will be hard to find and/or expensive, and Concerto owners will want a certain functionality with their carts so I'm making my own replacement that uses off-the-shelf, modern parts, just in case my prediction is right. I hope that hint didn't make it too obvious :D

Very Nice!

Is that an FPGA? I'd want QuadPokey or AMY emulation over SID emulation. However, if AtariAge members were able to "hack" an FPGA to emulate the SID as it was originally intended to be - 32 voices - that would be worth plenty of bragging rights.

Hell, emulating a 4xQuadPokey set up would be incredible. I'm mentioning this since a member had stated the A8 platform was capable of addressing 16 POKEYs. And making each virtual POKEYs [or QuadPokeys] stereo [a la the Porky] would also be sweet.

Almost forgot about the Voltrax from the 1400XL/1450XLD and those Voice Commanders...

• 3 months later...

Bump for updates. Albert posted this photo of the purple PCB for the upcoming Super Circus AtariAge. It has a pinout for "Pokey". I'm assuming this "Hokey" daughter board goes in there. Hopefully? :grin:

Either that, or real POKEY chips. :) But the plan is to use the HOKEY once that's available.

..Al

• Like 5

Either that, or real POKEY chips. :) But the plan is to use the HOKEY once that's available.

..Al

So is HOKEY really an emulated POKEY either via ARM or FPGA? Does it support anything more exotic like Dual or Quad POKEY? If so, that would allow for more arcade precise audio for Atari arcade ports, or "XM" hacks of already existing ports.

Is quad pokey the answer to everything to you?

Lol

Well, one Pokey trumps ten TIA chips, that's for sure. But unless you're trying to play organ music in game, I don't really see the need for quad Pokey.

I'm curious if the PGA addon board can be reprogrammed to support other sound chips such as Yamaha. :music:

• Like 1