IGNORED

Any hope for a Colecovision version of Galaga in the future using the SGM?

Twin_power

Any hope of porting a MSX version of Galaga in the future to run using the SGM?

My immediate thread search could not find this mentioned. Has there been mention of it? I'd sure like to fire it up after a long play of Galaxian. The MSX version gameplay looked faithful and slightly better than the 7800.

It's a mostly accepted fact that Opcode has dibs on Galaga. However, Eduardo is faced with a dilemma where the graphics are concerned: The CV's graphic chip is not the best fit for the way the arcade game displays the alien bugs, so he has to choose between lots of sprite flicker and monochrome-looking bugs. It is my feeling that this dilemma has kept Eduardo from taking the plunge with the arcade port.

Personally, I think the MSX version would suffice for a CV port. I'm no expert on the game though so I don't know what the arcade version has that the MSX version doesn't, aside from more colorful graphics. All I know is that Eduardo would prefer to port the arcade ROM to the ColecoVision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygHenbzsqec

Galaga is an often-requested game on the ColecoVision, so hopefully Eduardo will look into it once he's done with DK Arcade. :)

One of my friends started to write (from scratch not a port) a Galaga for C.V. , i played some early rom it looks very promising , but still far for completion , and as he does not really work on that project often , i guess opcode version will be release first!

I played the msx version via emulation a few days ago. Its a great game. I have played the arcade version as well. Its been awhile so its hard to compare the two. Galaga is a game worth the port even if you have to sacrifice a little to get it to work properly. Its just that good.

It's a mostly accepted fact that Opcode has dibs on Galaga.

I think with the way he has a tendency to disappear for months at a time and it takes him years to do a single arcade port "dibs" are not appropriate.

If anyone is talented enough to produce the title please do so.

• Like 4

The version ported as a limited edition prototype by OpCode (to fund the SGM) is excellent ;)

Yes, this version ported from the SG-1000 is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the MSX version and IIRC correctly, the SG-1000 version does not include the Bonus Stages.

I did not see "Galaga" listed on the Opcode's latest list. Just letting you know I'd be interested

in buying a copy once you (Opcode) release the monochrome arcade perfect port. No rush.. but

what is its present status?

On the MSX version I noticed the aliens stage a lot closer to the base ship than on the arcade with less room to fly around and zig zag. When

I compares the two it looked like the staging location was twice the distance on the arcade version. Plus...something I liked on the

arcade version that the aliens staging formation started to pulse in and out; making it hader to get

a bead on them and less like Galaxian... ;)

Hope the new version has the arcade's staging distance and the pulse formation...

I noticed this watching the "Let's Compare the (Galaga) Series" on YouTube. The NES and TurboGrafix

versions seemed closer to the arcade. The base ships laser fire sound on the SG-1000 version is

ear drum shattering... It seemed higher pitched than the arcade.

Yes, this version ported from the SG-1000 is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the MSX version and IIRC correctly, the SG-1000 version does not include the Bonus Stages.

there are 2 versions on SG 1000 of Galaga. One is 16k , the other is 40k... so i think the 40k version may include the bonus stages.

Edited by youki
  • Like 1

I took a look at the SG-1000/SC-3000 Sega Galaga version on Youtube. Just like the MSX version as the aliens

stage a lot closer to the base ship when comparing it to the arcade.... Also the alien's

movement seemed slow and choppy. Don't know if this is the 16k or 40k version mentioned above. I'm ready for a

demo video of that monochrome alien arcade perfect port Opcode mentioned above.

:)

I took a look at the SG-1000/SC-3000 Sega Galaga version on Youtube. Just like the MSX version as the aliens

stage a lot closer to the base ship when comparing it to the arcade.... Also the alien's

movement seemed slow and choppy. Don't know if this is the 16k or 40k version mentioned above. I'm ready for a

demo video of that monochrome alien arcade perfect port Opcode mentioned above.

:)

Yeah, sure, you'll have it, cause today is April 1st, right... lol

Well, as I said, and you will have to take my word for that, it is possible to make an arcade perfect version of Galaga gameplay-wise for the CV, just like PMC...

Ok, your persistence convinced me to take a serious look... Actually I have disassembled the game already, going through the code as time allows. Will start once I am in Brazil later this month, or once I am back, as I suspect my new girlfriend will keep me busy while I am there... But it is going to be a short trip, so no worries...

• Like 1

Ok, your persistence convinced me to take a serious look... Actually I have disassembled the game already, going through the code as time allows. Will start once I am in Brazil later this month, or once I am back, as I suspect my new girlfriend will keep me busy while I am there... But it is going to be a short trip, so no worries...

Brazilian girlfriend? I had a friend date a girl from Brazil once....yeah, you'll be kept VERY busy. :lol: