IGNORED

CF7+ problems / question

hloberg

Just got a CF7+, like it. But, it seems to act flaky loading binaries when attached through my speech synthesizer. I have seen mixed comments on if the CF7 is compatible with the speech module. One guy has a web page on how to bypass ( http://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/ti99_e.htm ) it while I have seen pictures of people having their CF7 attached through the speech module fine.

P.S. someone else also commenting on issues loading binaries http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.sys.ti/2008-11/msg00003.html

Any thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

F18a I got doesn't seem to effect the CF7+ at all, from what I can tell.

MY CF7+ has worked well from time to time with my f18a installed but just recently has started really acting up.

I actually installed the CF7+ before I install the f18a and have had the same erratic problems before and after.

I contacted the creator of the CF7+ and told him the problems I have had and he thinks I may just got a bad one and is sending me a new one.

Hope he's right.

If anyone knows of issues with the f18a, let me know.

Edited by hloberg

I started seeing issues with my nanopeb after upgrading my f18a to the latest firmware.. there were strange errors using extended memory, loading assembly language issues.. Talked with the manufacturer and he thinks that the f18a delay in initializing was causing the nano to init vdp ram, before the f18a had finished it's start up.. To test he sent me a patched nano that has a longer delay in it's startup and it seems to work fine on my f18a machine.

Just curious if these flakey issues with the devices are on f18a installed consoles, as there may be issues with the older one's as well.

Greg

got a email back from the creator of the CF7+ that yes, the CF7+ has issues with f18a.

I emailed back for more details and if can be fixed. I'm curious what he will say.

I can't imagine why the CF7+ will have any issues with the F18A. I have had my CF7+ for several years now predating the F18A, and it occasionally freezes up for no apparent reason and needs to be restarted. I suspect however that it has got something to do with the side connector contacts and not an inherent CF7 problem. And it works just fine with my F18A by the way.

Personally, I only use it when I need to take my TI system with me like to the Faire and don't want to lug around my PEB.

got an email from the creator of the CF7+. In as few words as he could say it :) he indicated that the nanoPEB does 'kinda' work better than the CF7+ with a f18a. Also the fix he is sending me is to fix the problem of the slight delay the f18a causes to the extended memory on start up.

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 1

Got my replacement CF7+ today that was tuned for the F18a. Still running test but it looks like it works great now.

When the opening screen comes up it now says 'CF7+ F18A PATCH'.

Oddly enough, now that I'm using the patched version of the CF7+ if I forget to turn on the CF7+ before I turn on the computer I get the F18a title screen instead of the TI title screen.

If you want to get a CF7+ and have a F18a or have one that is flaky with the F18a, you might want to drop him a line.

Edited by hloberg

From what I have gathered from what (little) I got from the guy who made the CF7+ and people on this board far smarter than me your right about the delay. Apparently the delay messes with the extended memory some how. Anybody out there have an idea!

F18A has a delay while powering, right?

A delay? Supposedly, but honestly It's NEVER been an issue with the TI-PEB as everything works PERFECTLY. Now, this is just an assumption on my part, and we all know what assumptions can mean to you and me... but if the Nano designer/builder has a patch, it must have been something on his end, since it 'appears', at least at the moment to be 'corrected'. Now it would be unfair to lay any blame, because if this was something to do with the Nano, I believe the original design predates the F18A. I might add this is NOT an issue on a TI-PEB, so sometimes *hit just happens. I sucks, but it's the fact.

I have to give kudos' to the Nano guy for finding and correcting the problem, especially after the fact, a lot of guy's would have just said, "Tough $#it". I really hope this is the problem, so guys can get their problem fixed and get back to enjoying the hobby, no matter which path they take for expansion.

One thing to think about is that the CF7+ uses current technology while the PEB uses old tech. Maybe the memory initializes faster on the CF7 while the PEB memory may internalized slower. F18a delay may not throw the sequence off on the PEB, but the CF7 the extended memory is ready too fast and the delay throws off the whole sequence of events.

of course, just a theory.

Oh ya, it is nice that he so quickly fix the problem. Proves he wants a quality product.

Edited by hloberg

He's always been pretty responsive when a problem crops up. The fact that he does respond like this is a good part of the reason that several hundred of these are now in user hands (based on a careful count of his eBay feedback for CF7 and NanoPEB sales that I did last September)!