IGNORED

The General Super Game Module game thread...

opcode

Hi Eduardo, you can use the Staff screen in the game, maybe when pressing "0". :)

Will Goonies and TwinBee make use of boxes from opcode Games/Doc4 or from Team Pixelboy. ?

Will both games make use of the new SGC with the Savegame feature. ?

Hi Eduardo, you can use the Staff screen in the game, maybe when pressing "0". :)

Will Goonies and TwinBee make use of boxes from opcode Games/Doc4 or from Team Pixelboy. ?

Will both games make use of the new SGC with the Savegame feature. ?

Goonies and Twin Bee will be published by Team Pixelboy, so I assume both games will use TP boxes. As for SGC support, no, that is only for Opcode Games releases, so DKA and Penguin Adventure will be the first titles to use it.

• Like 1

Goonies and Twin Bee will be published by Team Pixelboy, so I assume both games will use TP boxes.

That is correct. In fact, the boxes for TwinBee were printed last year, and they are sitting in a basement somewhere in Germany. :)

Knightmare, Ghostbusters, The Stone of Wisdom and Spelunker will also come in the usual Team Pixelboy boxes.

Once I am done with the Team Pixelboy games this year (still have two games to go), I will be moving to the hardware stuff, SGM rev F and Super Game Cartridge, so I don't have to deal with hardware again anytime soon. Then I will concentrate on my own games for the year, so two games (DKA and either Arkanoid or Penguin Adventure) this year is still a possibility...

Goonies and Twin Bee submitted.

I received your files, Eduardo, but I just bought a new PC today and while I was installing everything I realized that the wide-screen monitor that I bought with it doesn't have built-in speakers like the previous monitor I had, so there's no sound coming out of my PC! I'll buy some speakers (and also a new printer, since my old HP LaserJet 1012 printer is not supported by Windows 8.1) as soon as possible. Then I will turn my attention to Goonies and TwinBee. :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Gosh, I just finished debugging the most challenging game I have ever ported in my life, Ghostbusters. What a f***** mess of a game, I had to basically run it one instruction at time, side by side with the MSX version until I could figure out what was going on.... and my head hurts now... I deserve to go out to have dinner...

3 freaking weeks trying to get this thing to work... but it is finally running now... most of it at least... in the process I may have learned why I couldn't get some past ports to work properly, like Hang On...

Edited by opcode
  • Like 7

Gosh, I just finished debugging the most challenging game I have ever ported in my life, Ghostbusters. What a f***** mess of a game, I had to basically run it one instruction at time, side by side with the MSX version until I could figure out what was going on.... and my head hurts now... I deserve to go out to have dinner...

3 freaking weeks trying to get this thing to work... but it is finally running now... most of it at least... in the process I may have learned why I couldn't get some past ports to work properly, like Hang On...

And the amazing thing: Eduardo and I haven't even talked about how much money he wants for the Ghostbusters port. :P

I'm almost scared to find out how much he's going to charge me...! :D

Nice to see you again, Eduardo. ;)

• Like 1

I feel your pain buddy!

Not related to the SGM but currently "I'm" modernizing code written in the early 70's.

OMFG!

Don't know what the Coleco code world is like but 'MOVE InField1 to OtField4' doesn't give me a friggin clue what is going on! Takes hours to figure out...

And my bosses want to know why things take so long... :-(

And 'Yes' I agree with Luc! Glad to see you are back.

Jeff

Are there any SGMs left?

The last Opcode reported, he had 100 orders for the second run of SGMs that are planned to be ready later in the summer. I think the total production run was going to be in the neighborhood of 150.

Thank you but I'm trying to find out if there are currently any SGMs left to order. He's been gone since April and a lot could have happened since his last report.

Thank you but I'm trying to find out if there are currently any SGMs left to order. He's been gone since April and a lot could have happened since his last report.

All the remaining SGMs from the first run were shipped to customers before Eduardo left for his vacation back in April, so Eduardo should normally not have any SGMs from the first run left in stock. He was also supposed to put 10 SGMs (from the first run) on eBay, but I don't know for sure if all 10 of them were auctioned off. If he does have any SGMs left (linked to customers Eduardo was not able to contact by e-mail) he will probably put them on eBay later this year, or post a message about it here in a forum thread. All this to say that you shouldn't get your hopes up about acquiring a SGM from the first run. That ship has sailed.

We know that Eduardo took at least a few weeks of vacations last April/May, and that he recently busted his @$$ to port Ghostbusters from the MSX to the ColecoVision. Logically, he wouldn't have gone through that much trouble if he wasn't committed to producing and shipping the second run of SGMs. He already has over 100 pre-orders recorded for the second run, and believe me, having 100 waiting customers is a good incentive to get things done. The second run of SGMs is supposed to reach a total of 150 units manufactured, so my guess is there's still plenty of "un-pre-ordered" units left. I honestly don't think there will be a third run.

I think everyone here will agree that Eduardo has distanced himself from our small ColecoVision community on AtariAge. He only posted about Ghostbusters because he wanted to vent and let everyone know he's been working hard (which I do appreciate, as the publisher of the game) but that doesn't really mean he's back among us. By mostly staying away from this forum and ignoring e-mails, he can just get things done at his own pace, according to the free time he actually has. Eduardo has always been notoriously bad with communication, and that's not going to change.

So when the second run of SGMs will be ready is anyone's guess, I don't think even Eduardo himself knows for sure. He has to get revision "F" finished and tested, and he also needs to produce new packaging (boxes, manuals and styrofoam inserts) and only Eduardo himself knows what remains to be done on that front.

He worked on Ghostbusters recently, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it's the only CV game he worked on over the past few months. I can only hope that he will take a look at the issues I reported about Goonies and TwinBee, so that I can release those two games ASAP. It would be nice if he could also put the finishing touches on Knightmare and hand over the ROM to me for beta-testing, but I'd rather not get my hopes up about that.

All the remaining SGMs from the first run were shipped to customers before Eduardo left for his vacation back in April, so Eduardo should normally not have any SGMs from the first run left in stock. He was also supposed to put 10 SGMs (from the first run) on eBay, but I don't know for sure if all 10 of them were auctioned off. If he does have any SGMs left (linked to customers Eduardo was not able to contact by e-mail) he will probably put them on eBay later this year, or post a message about it here in a forum thread. All this to say that you shouldn't get your hopes up about acquiring a SGM from the first run. That ship has sailed.

We know that Eduardo took at least a few weeks of vacations last April/May, and that he recently busted his @$$ to port Ghostbusters from the MSX to the ColecoVision. Logically, he wouldn't have gone through that much trouble if he wasn't committed to producing and shipping the second run of SGMs. He already has over 100 pre-orders recorded for the second run, and believe me, having 100 waiting customers is a good incentive to get things done. The second run of SGMs is supposed to reach a total of 150 units manufactured, so my guess is there's still plenty of "un-pre-ordered" units left. I honestly don't think there will be a third run.

I think everyone here will agree that Eduardo has distanced himself from our small ColecoVision community on AtariAge. He only posted about Ghostbusters because he wanted to vent and let everyone know he's been working hard (which I do appreciate, as the publisher of the game) but that doesn't really mean he's back among us. By mostly staying away from this forum and ignoring e-mails, he can just get things done at his own pace, according to the free time he actually has. Eduardo has always been notoriously bad with communication, and that's not going to change.

So when the second run of SGMs will be ready is anyone's guess, I don't think even Eduardo himself knows for sure. He has to get revision "F" finished and tested, and he also needs to produce new packaging (boxes, manuals and styrofoam inserts) and only Eduardo himself knows what remains to be done on that front.

He worked on Ghostbusters recently, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it's the only CV game he worked on over the past few months. I can only hope that he will take a look at the issues I reported about Goonies and TwinBee, so that I can release those two games ASAP. It would be nice if he could also put the finishing touches on Knightmare and hand over the ROM to me for beta-testing, but I'd rather not get my hopes up about that.

I really wonder how you can have deal or do Business with people with this kind of behavior despite their talent. :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really wonder how you can have deal or do Business with people with this kind of behavior despite their talent. :(

It really is sad how Eduardo is placed on a pedestal by so many people here. It doesn't matter how poorly he treats his customers, they keep coming back for more.

• Like 1

Or maybe we understand that he does this in his "free time".

What do you do in your free time?

Take on a second job that pays negative dollars, actually fronting large sums of cash, hoping to break even for people complaining that it took to long....

I am truly happy that we have his talents and willingness to put up with all the baloney and fuss.

We have all started projects that take MUCH longer than we dreamed.

When you also have to deal with vendors that consider you a small fry / nuisance, you cannot get parts, printing etc. in any sort of consistent time frames etc.

As someone that has programmed a few games, you can get to 98% done...and still only be half we complete....

Tweaking code and polishing game play can be painful and in worst cases, you end up rewriting whole sections of code over and over.

I could go on, but if you don't get it by now...

• Like 5

Or maybe we understand that he does this in his "free time".

What do you do in your free time?

Take on a second job that pays negative dollars, actually fronting large sums of cash, hoping to break even for people complaining that it took to long....

I am truly happy that we have his talents and willingness to put up with all the baloney and fuss.

We have all started projects that take MUCH longer than we dreamed.

When you also have to deal with vendors that consider you a small fry / nuisance, you cannot get parts, printing etc. in any sort of consistent time frames etc.

As someone that has programmed a few games, you can get to 98% done...and still only be half we complete....

Tweaking code and polishing game play can be painful and in worst cases, you end up rewriting whole sections of code over and over.

I could go on, but if you don't get it by now...

It is not a question of time. or that develpment takes too long. Just a question of "communication" . At least it was the meaning of my initial remark.

He seems to have a deal with Pixelboy , a kind of "contract", and apprently even between them it seems the communication goes in only one way. No real communication with his partners, no communication with his customers... That's that kind of behavior i have difficulty to admit personnaly. Not that the projects takes too long, that's normal and most of us can understand that.(considering the quality of his work it is even more comprehensible) But just posting something on a forums regularly (not all days, but time to time , like once each 2 weeks) takes few seconds, sending a mail to a partner too.

• Like 4

I agree with the "quick note" sentiment.

I just have read so many negative comments ( not saying you, as I only browse the coleco stuff from time to time, I don't know all of the names and faces.... )

I know I would run for the hills if I read some of these comments about me.

I know putting out a product like the SGM had huge upfront costs. I got one in the first run, I was okay with the "bad label"... It seemed fine to me?

Anyway, I thought the communication was great and I got mine pretty quickly.

I know others had to wait. I feel for them. But let's say you are waiting for supplies and have no idea when they may come in...

No one wants to be the bearer of bad news or no new news.

I actually don't know what the cause of the delays were? Maybe personal reasons, maybe waiting on other to provide pieces of the device etc.

But I agree, just a simple... sorry for the delay, haven't forgot about you... Is certainly a reasonable expectation.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so here is a general update on all things related to the SGM:

- I am about done with Team Pixelboy games, at least the ones that will release this year.

- I will start catching up with email, so please hang in there, everybody will get a reply.

- After that I will concentrate on getting the 2nd run of SGMs out of the door ASAP. I am estimating that I will be able to start shipping around November, so everybody gets their SGM in time for Christmas. The first 20 or so people in my pre-order list should be able to get their modules well before that though, as I still have 1st run modules available.

- After that I should resume work on my own games, DKA, Pengo, Rally-X, Arkanoid, Dig-Dug, whatever.

Finally, for those wondering why I just vanished from face of Earth for the past year, long story short, I found out that my two kids are autistic, I went through divorce (unrelated to the kids), and I had to find a new home. So yeah, I just wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone, or think about games, simple like that. I sincerely apologize if I made people here upset for not giving updates. It was never my intention to be dishonest by not delivering what I was paid for. Everybody will get their modules, no worries.

• Like 14