IGNORED

Computer games you want on the ColecoVision

Pixelboy

I already took a look at "Elite" I dont think its an easy port for Colecovision, maybe with SGM, The MSX Diskette version runs in MSXDOS may have org $0100, so can for sure not be put in 32k rom, need something with bankswitching or so.

You'd definitely need the SGM and a MegaCart to support a port of the MSX version of Elite on the CV. After looking at the manual of the C64 version, I'm not sure there's enough keypad keys on both CV controllers to support all the commands available in the game.

I gave this some thought, and if I wanted to do a simulator of that type, perhaps I would do it as a sea-based game rather than space-based. Then combat would be two-dimensional (something resembling Subroc) which the ColecoVision could handle better.

BTW, I had a look at Elite Dangerous on YouTube yesterday, and it looks great. No less than an Elite fan's dream come true. :)

Maybe you could have combined keys. I guess it could be possible e.g if press LEFT FIRE as a shift button. So if you press LEFT FIRE + "0" have another meaning than LEFT Fire alone and "0" Alone.

Then you could have double at keys 0-9 + * and # not sure about RIGHT fire, but should be possible. and then maybe could combine them

So you have all the keys with out FIRE, then all keys with LEFT fire, and all keys with RIGHT fire and all keys with both FIRE.

Dont know if its possible but then you have 48 key commands :)

By the way I think Elite was programmed by a Danish Guy, for Firebird back then, dont know what version he worked at, but there was a article about it in a danish computer magazine :) You might think "AND SO WHAT?" but for a small country with 5 million people, and the size of: 43,094 km² - compared to: Canada 9,984,670 km² I think we could be proud of that :)

Edited by CrazyBoss

You'd definitely need the SGM and a MegaCart to support a port of the MSX version of Elite on the CV. After looking at the manual of the C64 version, I'm not sure there's enough keypad keys on both CV controllers to support all the commands available in the game.

I would think the control scheme could be based on the NES version. That's considered one of the definitive versions of the game anyway. Of course, that may require too much re-coding to make the control scheme match up to the MSX version's design.

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered a computer RPG called Dungeons of Daggorath on YouTube. I'm surprised no one mentioned this game in this thread. It seems perfectly doable on the ColecoVision, although I didn't check the total number of commands available in the existing version(s) of the game, so I don't know if the 12 keypad buttons on the Coleco controller would be enough.

I just discovered a computer RPG called Dungeons of Daggorath on YouTube. I'm surprised no one mentioned this game in this thread. It seems perfectly doable on the ColecoVision, although I didn't check the total number of commands available in the existing version(s) of the game, so I don't know if the 12 keypad buttons on the Coleco controller would be enough.

Wasn't that originally a BASIC game for the Apple II? I'm pretty sure there is a SmartBASIC version of it for the ADAM.

Edited by ed1475

Wasn't that originally a BASIC game for the Apple II? I'm pretty sure there is a SmartBASIC version of it for the ADAM.

No, it's a cartridge-based exclusive for the Radio Shack Color Computer. While it had simple audio-visuals, it was famous for a persistent heartbeat that indicated the character's present status.

There were a decent number of D&D style games made for the ADAM via SmartBASIC, but the two that come to mind immediately are Demons & Dragons I & II (all text based) and the one that everyone will find much more interesting is The Black Dungeon of Midor by ADAMagic... which is similar to Temple of Apshai with nice, but slowly rendered graphics window. These disk images are in the software collection I have previously made available and can be played thru emulators to see what they are all about.

Edited by NIAD