IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Wow. That white boxed aes is really cool. I was unaware that they originally debuted in those. Where did you buy your neo geo games from back then? Where they mainly through mail order or through small independent stores that carried them? If you still have the receipt, I'd love to see it.

Then called AEC. Small stores carried them but none near me. I still have it because I'm a pack rat but it could be anywhere lol. I believe back in 1990 it was only $599. It went up to $649 with the so-called "official release" in 1991.

I can't remember the company off the top of my head, but they were in CA or WA I believe. They advertised in magazines at the time, such as EGM. While my birthday was November 10 1990, it arrived about a week late. So I got it around the 17th or so. I didn't get another game until Christmas 1990. That was Ninja Combat.

• Like 1

I can't remember the company off the top of my head, but they were in CA or WA I believe. They advertised in magazines at the time, such as EGM. While my birthday was November 10 1990, it arrived about a week late. So I got it around the 17th or so. I didn't get another game until Christmas 1990. That was Ninja Combat.

The only known place in Cali that I remember was a place called "Game Dude" I don't know if they were around in 1990 but back then in the late 90's I used to see their sticker showing off advertisement labels on games. They used to say they buy/sell Neo-Geo games!

Game Dude is still around and I'm still buying games from them from time-to-time!

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

I remember game dude. I was stationed at Point Mugu for a few years, and got down there exactly once. Best selection of games I've ever seen, but their prices were well outside of what I could generally afford. My most vivid recollection of it was that this fairly high-end game store was in a terrible neighborhood. I mean really bad.

Afraid-to-walk-from-the-car bad...

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I remember game dude. I was stationed at Point Mugu for a few years, and got down there exactly once. Best selection of games I've ever seen, but their prices were well outside of what I could generally afford. My most vivid recollection of it was that this fairly high-end game store was in a terrible neighborhood. I mean really bad.

Afraid-to-walk-from-the-car bad...

I know what your saying! :thumbsup: The collection of game in the store is great and went there 3 times to purchase Neo-Geo games! ;-)

The neighborhood is tough, but I'm use to those types of atmospheres. I go to the South Bronx all the time and its equivalent to it! So Its like, "eh" after a while for me due to getting use to that kind of environment!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Here something awesome. A SV-001 Metal Slug Tank for sale at $319.00 and ready for pre-order!

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DKO10054&mode=retail&utm_source=retail_news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BigBadToyStore-Retail&utm_content=

Anthony...

Hi guys,

A nice video of SNK USA in Torrance, CA in 1995! Its really fun to watch these types of videos during this time period for the company specifically when the NGCD was just out and the CDZ coming soon!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Here is a list of lineups for the remaining 2014 and 2015 products that SNK/Playmore will have according to the Orochinagi website!

http://www.orochinagi.com/2014/09/snk-lineup-2014-15-inc-98fe-2002um-steam

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Today, I'm continuing playing my Neo Geo Pocket Color with "Sonic The Hedgehog Pocket Adventure" for the handheld system! It is the first game of the Sonic series ever to be released on a video game console licensed by a different company other than Sega since Sonic Jam on the Tiger.com!

This is the game that got me hooked on the marvelous NGPC! Reviews were positive and pretty much it was a perfect game to play and a MUST in your collection! From music, to gameplay, STHPA is worth every nickel to invest in!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Tonight I'm playing a fun wrestling title for the NGPC. Its called "Big Bang Pro Wrestling" and its a fun title to play! Interesting list of wrestlers with their special moves and finishers, solid controls, the music is good, and graphics are nicely done!

Anthony...

Kizuana Encounter arrived yesterday, and I have to say that it's quite a joy to play. I think it might even be a bit of a hidden gem--well, I sure overlooked it for long enough, anyway.

Characters are very large, and stages are detailed with intros. There seems to be a fair bit of character variety, with a couple pairs of them feeling a bit samey. The gameplay is very nice for a fighting game. It's hard to get stuck in corners for long, since there's a button combo to sway past the enemy. This is also a great way to get a throw from behind. I tend to get juggled in corners, especially when playing fighting games against humans, but I don't see it being much of an issue in this one.

The CPU doesn't seem to do the sway in early fights, which makes them go *extremely* quickly. If one character goes down, the match is over, so keeping the AI away from their tag zone ends the first two levels in about 15 seconds each. Talk about skipping past the easy stuff.

On the down side, there doesn't seem to be even a hint of story. I've heard each character has an ending, but there's nothing in attract mode, and no cutscenes. Animation is also a bit chunky--pretty much on par for 1996, however. I've pretty well selected two fighters that interest me, but I haven't mastered all their moves yet. Mostly because I have no patience for the verbose gameFAQs format, and haven't found a good move sheet.

The instruction card is also a lot less boring than sitting through the 'how to play' for this one.

• Like 1

Kizuana Encounter arrived yesterday, and I have to say that it's quite a joy to play. I think it might even be a bit of a hidden gem--well, I sure overlooked it for long enough, anyway.

Characters are very large, and stages are detailed with intros. There seems to be a fair bit of character variety, with a couple pairs of them feeling a bit samey. The gameplay is very nice for a fighting game. It's hard to get stuck in corners for long, since there's a button combo to sway past the enemy. This is also a great way to get a throw from behind. I tend to get juggled in corners, especially when playing fighting games against humans, but I don't see it being much of an issue in this one.

The CPU doesn't seem to do the sway in early fights, which makes them go *extremely* quickly. If one character goes down, the match is over, so keeping the AI away from their tag zone ends the first two levels in about 15 seconds each. Talk about skipping past the easy stuff.

On the down side, there doesn't seem to be even a hint of story. I've heard each character has an ending, but there's nothing in attract mode, and no cutscenes. Animation is also a bit chunky--pretty much on par for 1996, however. I've pretty well selected two fighters that interest me, but I haven't mastered all their moves yet. Mostly because I have no patience for the verbose gameFAQs format, and haven't found a good move sheet.

The instruction card is also a lot less boring than sitting through the 'how to play' for this one.

Excellent, happy that you received the game! Would love to have this on the AES, but prices on them have been going up on Kizuana Encounter for a while now!

Anthony...

Did some cleaning, and it seems that I'm running into a storage issue. Not a lot of space there to fix it either. Perhaps some kind of rolling/sliding pantry would help but their shelves are often too far apart, and custom ones are well over the price range. A cheaper solution might be to screw a second dvd/media tower on top of the first one, and to the wall. Cheaper being the solution that sounds the most like me (as evidenced by my ugly duckling mvs).

They certainly can't stay stacked like that. I'd worry that the weight would crush the bottom ones.

y4HjzD.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Did some cleaning, and it seems that I'm running into a storage issue. Not a lot of space there to fix it either. Perhaps some kind of rolling/sliding pantry would help but their shelves are often too far apart, and custom ones are well over the price range. A cheaper solution might be to screw a second dvd/media tower on top of the first one, and to the wall. Cheaper being the solution that sounds the most like me (as evidenced by my ugly duckling mvs).

They certainly can't stay stacked like that. I'd worry that the weight would crush the bottom ones.

WOW! Nice & neat! I like the way you put your games together close the the MVS unit! :thumbsup:

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Today, I'm playing, The Last Blade" for the NGPC! This is actually one of the handhelds better fighting games and its quite enjoyable! The music is good, the graphics and controls are impressive for its time and its really fun to play! Try it at least once!

Anthony...

• Like 1

Someone earlier mentioned Game Dude. That might be the place I received my Neo-Geo from in 1990. I am still in the process of finding that receipt. It's there, I just have tons of stuff.

Anyway, here's a question to all the Neo-Geo experts: They come out with a game in 1990 called Magician Lord, which is universally praised as a masterpiece (it was reviewed in EGM in '90 where the reviewer very meanly said something like "the best Neo-Game game there is or ever will be." I think it may have even gotten a perfect 10 by one reviewer. Many even consider it superior to Ghouls & Ghosts. So what's the question?

WHY IN THE HELL WAS THERE NEVER A SEQUEL MADE OR EVEN CONSIDERED? Sorry I shouted, but this has bugged me for 20+ years already. It has always boggled my mind, and I always have thought about what could have been. :( I love SNK, and I love the Neo-Geo. But it was a mistake not coming out with Magician Lord 2.

• Like 1

Someone earlier mentioned Game Dude. That might be the place I received my Neo-Geo from in 1990. I am still in the process of finding that receipt. It's there, I just have tons of stuff.

Anyway, here's a question to all the Neo-Geo experts: They come out with a game in 1990 called Magician Lord, which is universally praised as a masterpiece (it was reviewed in EGM in '90 where the reviewer very meanly said something like "the best Neo-Game game there is or ever will be." I think it may have even gotten a perfect 10 by one reviewer. Many even consider it superior to Ghouls & Ghosts. So what's the question?

WHY IN THE HELL WAS THERE NEVER A SEQUEL MADE OR EVEN CONSIDERED? Sorry I shouted, but this has bugged me for 20+ years already. It has always boggled my mind, and I always have thought about what could have been. :( I love SNK, and I love the Neo-Geo. But it was a mistake not coming out with Magician Lord 2.

Yes, that would be me mentioning Game Dude! ;-)

I've been asking that question for years in regards to Magician Lord! The game is on my personal favorite list and have it for the MVS, AES, CD! To start off, ADK (originally named Alpha Denshi or Alpha) was a very small Japanese game developer in Japan! It started in 1980-2003. It became an exclusive developer for SNK! One reason was that they were making a cluster of video games that would be developed 1 or 2 at the time!

My personal reason on why ADK didn't make a MG2 was that maybe the game was perfect the way it was, and didn't need a squeal.... IMO, the game was excellent to the beginning, to the end!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

So I've decided that I've outgrown my pro controllers. I really like their size and shape, but the buttons and especially the stick are letting me down. I've been shopping around for Hori Neos on ebay for the last month or so, and fought one up a good bit over $100 before giving up. From what I've heard, once I get one, they could stand some button/stick modding, and in that price range I feel that I should be getting a 'finished' experience.

Neo Geo controllers are very simple inside however. There are no fancy encoder chips or any of that--really they're wired up like an atari 2600 controller with a few more buttons. Common ground and every switch gets its own pin. I had a project *way* back where I wired a neo geo controller port to a gameboy advance and chose the neo for its simplicity. Not to mention button count was the same. Somehow that old site is still online. That was some pretty messy work I did back then, though... This gets me thinking about making myself a neo controller. In a previous life, I sold power tools, so my mental designs all have called for a drill press and router table--things I have no room for in my condo, and would feel silly spending money on. This video was a bit of an inspiration--though some of the woodworking techniques and material choices are highly questionable, it was done with a minimum of tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8FQ_KZIAkY

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1