IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

I don't know if someone posted these videos before, but I'd like to share with you some repairs I've made so far (and some tiny modding job :grin: ) on some MVS systems and gamepads ...

Enjoy them ;)

Thanks for mentioning and uploading them. Love the music! :thumbsup:

These videos were never posted and excellent to view. Repair videos on the Neo-Geo platforms are always welcome on here to show a persons expertise for those that what to save money on repairs for the do-it-your-self gamers to save money!

Please feel free on any future projects, game reviews, or opinions on the Neo-Geo platform! You're welcome to comeback anytime! :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

The members at neo-geo.com are almost unanimously advising me to disregard AES and go for CMVS.

Hi,

We all have our individual point of views and of course we take them for consideration. It depends on how and what do you believe is right for you as a gamer!

If you like to take the time to tell me what are your concerns and what do you plan on during for short and long term for the Neo-Geo platform, then we can narrow it down and I can express my opinions to help guide you further! :)

I'll start by asking this..... Are you willing to spend money the on the Neo-Geo? When I started regardless if it was MVS, AES, NGCD, NGX, NGPC, etc. It was not going to be cheap.

So money, time and dedication is the key like many do in game collecting.. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Of course I'm willing to spend some money, but I'm not a "high roller" collector, so probably anything over $200 would be out of bounds.

My initial thought is a modest AES collection, maybe 5-10 games, which seems achievable. But the members at neo-geo.com are saying AES is becoming even more crazy expensive than it has been, and counterfeit MVS-AES conversions are fairly common.

And they make a good point that MVS is much cheaper, so if I went CMVS I wouldn't have to limit myself to a modest collection due to price.

Of course I'm willing to spend some money, but I'm not a "high roller" collector, so probably anything over $200 would be out of bounds.

My initial thought is a modest AES collection, maybe 5-10 games, which seems achievable. But the members at neo-geo.com are saying AES is becoming even more crazy expensive than it has been, and counterfeit MVS-AES conversions are fairly common.

And they make a good point that MVS is much cheaper, so if I went CMVS I wouldn't have to limit myself to a modest collection due to price.

Yes, the MVS route will be cheaper and if you want to buy a CMVS, you can contact Xian Xi to make you a unit. You can also can buy an Omega, Analogue or see on Ebay! You can just get a 161-in-1 cartridge and don't worry about space!

As for the AES, you can establish a nice collection at a good budget. But as for prices, it varies and depends on who you go and trust. I been seeing the prices for common/uncommon games been the same for a few years now and if you what to spend $200 and under, you can built a sizable collection with no trouble! go to an Ebay seller name "hit-japan" on Ebay! He has a good reputation for selling Neo-Geo titles!

If you really what to go cheaper, a Neo-Geo CD might be up your ally if you don't mind the slow loading time! Or a CDZ unit for a faster loading time!

Any other questions, please feel free to ask! :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Here's another good video from a gentleman that modded his AES controller and Hori NEOII fighting stick by replacing the standard stick and buttons, to a more colorful approach! Nicely done I must say!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

This morning, I'm playing a game called "Gururin" for the MVS. Developed by a company called Face in 1994, its a strange puzzle game that was only available to play for the MVS! The graphics, music and replay value aren't up to par. But, what makes it interesting is the tilting option to move your pieces and reorganize them to match! Try it to see for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbaaAoL0U2o

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Wishing everyone on Atariage.com a Merry Christmas from me and my family! Thank you for those that supported "The Official NEO-GEO Thread" and hope to continue with it with the rest of the members here on the forums!

Here is a video a few years back on Youbube called "Neo-Geo Christmas Special" that was done by a few Neo-Geo fans in 2011. Pretty good and enjoy!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

NGDEVTEAM shop page has posted their information about the reprints of Gunlord, Last Hope Pink Bullets, Fast Striker, and Razion on the next available pre-orders for the MVS. If you didn't have a chance to order a copy before, take this into consideration for future reference!

Gunlord MVS *reprint*
[NGDT-303MRER] 379,00EUR pixel_trans.gifgl_mvs_wood_180px.jpg
Click to enlarge

Out of stock.
Next reprint is planned for late 2015

Gunlord MVS RE / Regular Edition

Gunlord is a Eurostyle Platformer with emphasis on exploring huge
worlds and blasting off enemies.
This game features 9 stages of exciting 2D game play
with over 45 unique enemy types.
Blast yourself through giant landscapes, explore caverns and reveal all secrets!!

Game

9 huge stages
16-bit hand-drawn graphics
Non-linear action with 8-way scrolling
Big bad boss enemies
Constant 60 fps
Internet ranking via code

Hardware Specs (MVS)

Version 1.3 (final)
Full use of 658 Megabits
30+ min. Full digitized stereo soundtrack
In-system software updates via USB port
Custom made PCBs

• Gunlord MVS RE NEOGEO MVS Cart
  • Version 1.3 (final)
  • 658 MEGS
  • High quality STEREO music / full soundtrack on cartridge
  • Arcade / coin support
  • 1x Black shell
  • Cart sticker
  • Brown cardboard box with sticker
  • Pink bubble wrap

gl_mvs_wood_512px.jpg

Last Hope Pink Bullets MVS *reprint*
[NGDT-302-MRE]

379,00EUR pixel_trans.giflhpb_mvs_wood_180px.jpg
Click to enlarge

Out of stock.
Next reprint is planned for late 2015

• Last Hope Pink Bullets MVS NEOGEO MVS Cart (reprint)
  • 524 MEGS
  • Version 1.3
  • Arcade / coin support
  • Black shell
  • Cart Sticker
  • Brown cardboard box with sticker
  • Pink bubble wrap

lhpb_mvs_wood_512px.jpg

Fast Striker 1.5 MVS - Gamecenter Kit *reprint*
[NGDT-301-RKR] 399,00EUR pixel_trans.gifgckit.png
Click to enlarge

Out of stock.
Next reprint is planned for earliest in 2016/2017

Kit content:

• 1x MVS cartridge of Fast Striker 1.5
  • Software Version 1.6 Coin-Op Support
  • 1560 MEGS
  • 1x Black shell
  • 1x Brown cardboard box with sticker
  • 1x Pink antistatic bubble wrap bag for cartridge
  • 1x Long instruction paper (as long as stock holds)
  • 1x Marquee (as long as stock holds)
  • 1x Mini Marquee (as long as stock holds)
  • 1x Game DIP settings (as long as stock holds)

fs_mvs_wood_512px.jpg

RAZION MVS Gamecenter Kit *SOLD OUT*
[NGDT-305MR] 399,00EUR pixel_trans.gifrz_mvs_re_shop_180px.jpg
Click to enlarge

Out of stock.
Next reprint is planned for earliest in 2016/2017

To be kept informed about this item you can join the shop newsletter, follow us on Twitter or Facebook.

RAZION MVS RE / Gamecenter Kit

RAZION is a horizontal CGI shooting game.
The score system is based on growing gold cubes and using the beam
It has 3 game modes (NOVICE/NORMAL/MANIAC).
Novice mode is significantly easier and will allow more people to enjoy the great graphics and music.

Game

6 stages with varied settings
6 huge endbosses
7 subbosses
3 game modes
Rendered 16-bit CGI graphics
Stage long panorama backgrounds
Horizontal shooting game

Hardware Specs (MVS)

Full use of 1560 Megabits
Full digitized stereo soundtrack
In-system software updates via USB port
Custom made PCBs
Custom made cartridge shell

Kit content:

• 1x MVS cartridge of RAZION
  • 1560 MEGS
  • 1x Black wood shell
  • Arcade / coin-op support
  • Cart Sticker
  • Long instruction paper
  • Marquee
  • 1x Game Dip Settings
  • 1x Cardboard Box with Sticker
  • 1x Antistatic bubble wrap bag for cartridge
  • Holographic random serial number sticker
  • Free software updates via USB connector

rz_mvs_re_shop_512px.jpg

http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=54

http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=41

http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=35

http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=73

Anthony...

The members at neo-geo.com are almost unanimously advising me to disregard AES and go for CMVS.

You should listen to them.

For the time being, the most expensive part about the MVS is the actual hardware - a cheap no-frills board is around $200-$350 depending on what its modded for and whether or not its a single or multi-slot board. Some multi-slots are finicky, so do your research. If THATS too cost-prohibited, and you dont mind doing some work yourself, buy a non-consolized one-slot board (go to hardmvs.com to see what boards may suit you.), build a Supergun, and play it that way.

For the time being, you can get a lot of good games for cheap money. I'm partial to a lot of the early releases myself.

CMVS + Unibios = same as AES, just not asthetically appealing.

• Like 1

I have my AES I purchased in the very early 90's and I also have a MVS cabinet. For the AES I have the Super Converter II that lets me play MVS games in my AES. My 108 in 1 cart works via the converter too. So it was very much worth the money. My collection is about 20 AES games and maybe 10 MVS carts. The 108 in 1 is the only way I can afford to play the high price games, like the Metal Slug series...

I like to play the AES more than the MVS because that is what I had as a young person. One thing I don't like is (many) AES games have limited continues and lives. This can make a game like Crossed Swords very frustrating. You can solve this with a Universal BIOS, but I am too chicken shit of ruining my AES. I've always wanted to get another to mod with the Universe BIOS, but never got around to it.

That being said, I would recommend the CMVS too, if you only have one system. For playing, it is the best option. You can't go wrong with either though. Neo-Geo is fantastic in all it's forms. The AES is a nice piece to collect for sure.

• Like 1

I have my AES I purchased in the very early 90's and I also have a MVS cabinet. For the AES I have the Super Converter II that lets me play MVS games in my AES. My 108 in 1 cart works via the converter too. So it was very much worth the money. My collection is about 20 AES games and maybe 10 MVS carts. The 108 in 1 is the only way I can afford to play the high price games, like the Metal Slug series...

I like to play the AES more than the MVS because that is what I had as a young person. One thing I don't like is (many) AES games have limited continues and lives. This can make a game like Crossed Swords very frustrating. You can solve this with a Universal BIOS, but I am too chicken shit of ruining my AES. I've always wanted to get another to mod with the Universe BIOS, but never got around to it.

That being said, I would recommend the CMVS too, if you only have one system. For playing, it is the best option. You can't go wrong with either though. Neo-Geo is fantastic in all it's forms. The AES is a nice piece to collect for sure.

Nicely said Ninja! :thumbsup:

Anthony...

I got my mvs copy of Razion. It doesn't play real nice in the two slot pcb either. I had to boot it with Magical Drop II in the other slot to get to the bios and then change Razion to run in MVS mode instead of home mode (which was the default). Then I was able to operate it with Fast Striker in the second slot. These games just behave weird in a real MVS setup. My two cents if you put a game on a MVS cart is should behave like a coin op game. I am happy to get these games, but for the price you may be better off getting the AES versions. The packaging is sparse and pretty cheap compared to the AES versions. You get the cart in a brown box with a flyer and cabinet "move sheet" printed on very flimsy paper. No marquee or mini marquee. I wished they went ahead and made the print materials good quality and did proper mini marquees. They are almost at commercial Neo Geo quality with their game releases, but some of the finishes is where they fall short. The game is fun though and if you are into Neo Geo you should try to get these games in some format.

• Like 1

I got my mvs copy of Razion. It doesn't play real nice in the two slot pcb either. I had to boot it with Magical Drop II in the other slot to get to the bios and then change Razion to run in MVS mode instead of home mode (which was the default). Then I was able to operate it with Fast Striker in the second slot. These games just behave weird in a real MVS setup. My two cents if you put a game on a MVS cart is should behave like a coin op game. I am happy to get these games, but for the price you may be better off getting the AES versions. The packaging is sparse and pretty cheap compared to the AES versions. You get the cart in a brown box with a flyer and cabinet "move sheet" printed on very flimsy paper. No marquee or mini marquee. I wished they went ahead and made the print materials good quality and did proper mini marquees. They are almost at commercial Neo Geo quality with their game releases, but some of the finishes is where they fall short. The game is fun though and if you are into Neo Geo you should try to get these games in some format.

This is good information to know! 'll keep it in mind when getting them for the MVS!

Anthony...

I'm new to invest in buying a Neo Geo and was wondering if there was region coding on either the AES or the MVS. Could I play Japanese carts on an North American MVS or AES?

Hi Starf,

Welcome aboard and happy that you're interested on the Neo-Geo platform. Neo-Geo units MVS and AES are region free and if you have a Japanese cart on an American unit, It will play. However the units motherboard will read it in the language it was programmed for. So lets say if you had a Japanese console with an American cartridge, it will play it in Japanese! You can add a Unibios chip in your unit to change it to your preference!

To help you out even further, I can provide a link for you for a beginners guide for the Neo-Geo to forward you in the right direction. :)

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/snk-neo-geo-101-a-beginners-guide

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Anthony...

Just tried my AES with a cheap SCART to YUV converter on my new Sony TV. Works perfect and has no sync problems during bright flashes like every other TV I tried. This is good as the new TV doesn't have analog VGA so I can't use my XRGB 2+ with it on this set.

World Heroes Perfect on my AES via the Super Converter V2.

post-322-0-24362900-1419895879_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-18819800-1419895880_thumb.jpg

• Like 1