IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

1. PS4/Xbox One/Switch版「アケアカNEOGEO ベースボールスターズ2」配信日決定 初心者でも楽しめる「オート守備… https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1175757.html #アケアカNEOGEO #ベースボールスターズ2pic.twitter.com/WAeU3FUtD0

Translate Tweet
    Translated from Japanese by Microsoft

PS4/Xbox One/Switch Version "Akaca NEOGEO Baseball Stars 2" Delivery date decision even beginners can enjoy "auto defensive... https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1175757.html #アケアカNEOGEO #ベースボールスターズ2

D2FsyU_U4AAyjTJ.jpg
    D2FsydjUkAAw95e.jpg
    D2FsymOUYAECgOF.jpg
    D2FsytQUcAAZD1B.jpg

Anthony..

Hi guys,

1. 『アケアカNEOGEO ベースボールスターズ2』がSwitch、PS4、Xbox Oneで配信決定! https://www.famitsu.com/news/201903/20173531.html pic.twitter.com/Lgc8pq3sNa

Translate Tweet

"Akaca NEOGEO Baseball Stars 2" will be delivered on Switch, PS4 and Xbox One! https://www. famitsu.com/news/201903/20173531.html

D2FkEsHUwAAB0oE.jpg
    D2FkEyTU8AAaP7n.jpg
    D2FkE33VYAIm0qd.jpg
    D2FkE_OUYAAWy8w.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Today, you're are all in for an intriguing treat. I follow an indie game developer by the name ShinuRealArts Games. If you're not familiar of this establishment, they're are making a fun title for steam called, "Wings_Of_Bluestar". It's a horizontal shmup that is scheduled to be released this year for the gaming community to play.

So me and fellow Atariage member, Arcade Adriano from ArcadeAttackUK did a great Q&A article with ShinuArt Games that I believe we will all enjoy seeing and reading. If all goes well, the group says that there's a possibility that this game will be released on the Sega Dreamcast and the Neo-Geo. If becomes a reality, you read it here first on the Neo-Geo thread on Atariage.com. Enjoy. :)

Pics and videos of the actual game is included as well. :)

1. Fancy some #indiedev goodness? This week we've got Wings of Bluestar. An ace new shmup from Shinu Real Arts! https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/wings-of-bluestar/

1. D2DAFAlWsAAlDEF.jpg

Wings Of Bluestar (Shinu Real Arts) – Indie Feature

arcadeattack

15th Mar 2019

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/wings-of-bluestar/

wingsofbluestar-banner.jpg?zoom=1.5625&f

Adrian caught up with Shinu from Shinu Real Arts, the dev team behind the intriguing Wings Of Bluestar. With each demo we are becoming more and more impressed with this project. Please check out the trailer below and more from the man himself. Any developer keen to release his project on the Dreamcast and/or the NeoGeo deserves our full attention! You can catch Shinu and updates on the game mostly on Twitter, but there is also a Facebook page.

Hi Shinu, it’s an honour to feature you and your fine-looking game on Arcade Attack!

The honor is mine. Thanks for having me on Arcade Attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLWOcvCJSY

Please tell us a little about yourself, and the establishment of Shinu Real Arts.

You are welcome! The Shinu Real Arts name started as a freelance artist, mainly as an illustrator and concept artists. However, I’ve always had the urge to create games one day, which is normal for any gamer who started from a young age.

I also make some short one shot comics, but paused everything since I started working on Wings Of Bluestar.

Before starting work on my actual game, I was part of a local indie studio of 3 people, specialized in mobile games, but we went different paths due to some ideology differences.

What is a typical day like with you and your team at your studio?

Even though I have a day job not related neither to art nor to coding, I’m fortunate that this job is only 21 hours a week and I have plenty of time for game development.

My actual team isn’t local, we are from different countries, 4 people, some I know personally and others from the net.

Everyone takes care of their own tasks and we communicate a lot, mainly via email for data share and detailed stuff, or messenger/WhatsApp for quick texting or voice messages. However, I’m the one assembling everything and putting it into the game, since I do the graphics, coding and sound effects.

Is Wings Of Bluestar the first game you’ve worked on?

No it isn’t, I’ve worked on some games in the past, but never released them due to various reasons.

My first game was a vertical shmup heavily influenced by the Shikigami No Shiro series, but I’ve lost all data and couldn’t continue working on it.

My second big game was planned for mobile, from the time I was part of a local indie studio of 3 people. But again, after finishing almost all assets and base code, I canceled it after the studio was dispatched. It was going to be a top down runner/shmup hybrid where the player controls a buggy tank.

So, Wings Of Bluestar is my 3rd serious and big game. It’s also way better than the first ones since I’ve learned a lot since then.

wingsofbluestar-1.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize

What kind of game is it and how did it come about?

Wings Of Bluestar is a horizontal shoot’em up. As mentioned above, I’m a fan of the genre and it was just natural for me to develop shmups, because I believe that I have enough knowledge about this type of game. All my previous unreleased games were shmups as well and I wish to specialize in the genre in the future.

Funny mention:

The choice of a horizontal shmup over a vertical was actually a technical issue one. Because 2 years ago, I had no clear idea of a simple and easy programming way to switch between the Tate and Yoko modes in a vertical shmup, so I spared myself the trouble and went full horizontal (lol).

What games helped inspire it? I can see some great elements from R-Type and Thunder Force.

The main inspiration for me comes from Blazing Star, my favorite horizontal STG, I’ve put some related Easter eggs in Wings Of Bluestar, fans of the game have already spotted some.

And yeah, R-Type is on the influence list, as well as a lot of other horizontal shmups, like Progear, Pulstar, Hyper Duel, etc.

When I decided to work on a new shmup, I wanted it to have a lot of the main features I like from different favorite games from the genre. And the first thing I had to do were the visuals, which are the first aspect you see in a game. I wanted them to be unique, so I went for a hand painted style, which is actually my strongest asset, since I’m more of the artist than the programmer, so, neither 3D nor pre-rendered assets were used. I even refused to use shaders for long time, until people following the game insisted, so I had to add a few (lol).

The game looks incredible! The colours look so vibrant while the backgrounds and enemies are highly detailed. How much dedication has been put into this game so far and how many more hours to go to finally say it’s complete?

The game has been more than 2 years in development. I’m planning to finish it before late 2019. There’s a chance to release it even earlier, like mid 2019, since it’s around 80% complete for now.

As said before, I’m more of an artist than a programmer, so, I put more effort into the details and into the fundamentals of art, like composition, color theory and render. Add to this that I study a lot of other shoot’em ups by watching gameplay videos (easier to study visuals than actually playing them) and analyzing the design, color schemes, composition etc. And I had some great feedback from the community as well, so, I always work on the visuals when people do tell me something like “the visibility is weak there”, “this element hides something” etc.

Just about every gamer enjoys a good shmup title. We for one at Arcade Attack certainly do. But what you do believe will make Wings Of Bluestar different from the current shooters that others are offering and being conducted in the video game industry?

That’s quite the challenge, seeing all those great shmups being released.

First, I had to make the game up to the level in terms of gameplay. So I’ve made two ships with different controls (a 3rd unlockable ship is in consideration), different weapons and different scoring systems. The game also has a combo system (different for each ship), so hi-scorers can have their fun. add to this a risk system that rewards you with Risk Stars and points when you are too close to enemy bullets. The Risk System is also implemented in the gameplay, since the player needs to carefully use the ship’s powerful weapon and save it for needy situations, since it’s “risky” to venture without it being ready.

However, Wings Of Bluestar has also something different to offer, something that I myself couldn’t find in many shmups I’ve played and which is the main reason people not familiar with the genre don’t see a shmup game worth the full price.

With this, I meant how short in terms of gameplay time shmups are, except for us fans who keep re-playing for hi-scoring and 1CC-ing, non shmup fans won’t play the game that many times.

That’s why I decided to put a lot of content into Wings Of Bluestar, content that you unlock as achievement/trophies, or that you unlock by spending Risk Points that you earn from the game.

The first time I’ve experienced this content unlocking fun was with SoulCalibur on the Dreamcast; I had a ton of fun gathering in-game money and then spending it on unlocking content. So I’ve made sure to put that into Wings Of Bluestar; the game will have a huge gallery, character biography, a shop, a sound test and more stuff to unlock.

Another feature in Wings Of Bluestar is its story mode. While I’m not a huge and dedicated fan, I still like some good visual novels. So I’m planning to make the story mode as a visual novel fragmented between stages, it’ll offer dialogue choices and lead to different endings.

wingsofbluestar-3.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize

Sounds pretty great! How many levels do you hope to create for Wings Of Bluestar and do you have a personal favourite boss within the game?

First I was planning to make as many stages as I can and offer different paths for the player to choose from. But then I noticed that it’ll take a long time, because the game’s stages are long, on average 5 minutes without boss fight and they are detailed, have progressive and changing scenery and usually change scrolling. So, for a very small indie studio, I can’t afford a lot of stages. That’s why I made a survey on the studio’s Twitter profile and the average result was 7 stages. Right now the game has 6 and I may go to 8 + a secret stage to unlock.

As for the bosses, my favorite one is the fifth one, since it’s so huge and can’t fit in one screen, it’s made of 4 parts and each part fills a whole screen. You move to the next part when you destroy the one above it. But I may like the sixth boss better, it’s still being coded though; it’s a long snake that comes from 7 different spots and the player needs to memorize them, something like that snake boss from R-Type, but more advanced.

Once Wings Of Bluestar is complete. Where can one play this game for them to experience the action and when do you hope to get the game released?

Like every game producer/developer, I wish to release my game on every platform possible, even retro systems. But due to budget and team limitations, the first release will be on Steam, because it’s easier, then on the Switch and PS4 if the game makes enough funds on Steam. After that and if the game is successful, I’ll try my chance porting it to systems like The Vita, the Dreamcast and the NeoGeo. But that requires extra effors since I have to rework the visuals for weaker systems. Add to this that I have no idea on how to code/develop for those older systems, so I’ll need external help if I decided to retro port the game.

If I decide to go retro, my first choice would be the Dreamcast, but the NeoGeo is a possibility too, depending on which one is easier and how much external help I can get.

What are your top 3 favourite video games of all time and why?

Talking shmups, I’d say Blazing Star first; the visuals and sound effects of that game blew my mind back in the days when it came to the local arcade. It also has that 80s anime vibe that I love a lot.

Second is Shikigami No Shiro; once again, I like animes and the game is 100% in the style.

Third place goes for Ikaruga; the 3D visuals and the orchestral music of that game are just phenomenal. Add to this the level design and the original yin-yang gameplay system, that was so great.

However, I’m more of an J-RPG fan and the only reason I’m not making an RPG is that it’s way too much work for me. My favorite all time game is Grandia 2.

As for you and your co-workers, what do we plan on seeing from Shinu Real Arts after Wings Of Bluestar?

I wish that the studio specializes in shmups only, like those great Japanese studios like G-rev or Cave. And I already have a clear idea of the shmups we’re gonna work on after Wings Of Bluestar, it’s a vertical one with tons of RPG elements.

But, and sadly, if the shmup genre is no longer in demand, we’ll move to platformers in the Megaman style, because ,as mentioned earlier, I only make games that I like and am familiar with.

wingsofbluestar-2.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize

Do you have any advice for those that would like to give for those that plan to start their own indie practice to make titles like what you’re doing now?

Well, this may sound harsh, but they should be aware that making games isn’t easy, both mentally and physically; you’ll spend tons of time on your desk drinking cup after cup of coffee, so, you need to do some sports to counter that. Add to this how the market is more relying on advertising than a good product, which means, even if you release the greatest game ever made, no one will like it if they never have heard of it, and that may have a heavy mental effect on the developer. Some of my indie developer friends already experiencing depression before even releasing their games, by fearing that it’ll fail after all this effort and sacrifice.

Now for something positive. As for developing games, modern software’s made it easy and one doesn’t have to be a great mathematician in order to code, hence, a lot of software doesn’t even require coding, but I highly recommend to learn coding because it offers unlimited possibilities. The only hard things to learn are art and music; those take a lot of time and dedication, but not impossible.

But if you intend to find a team, don’t be the “Idea Guy”, it’s very bad and a real joke (meme) in the indie game development community. You should be able to contribute with a real developing skill, like music, art, coding, sound effects, special effects etc. Otherwise you’ll have to pay your team members with real money, as employees, if you have nothing else to offer.

And once again, advertising and creating a community is as much important as making a good game. So, work on those as early as possible, even from the sketching stage.

Thank you for your time today Shinu, we wish you all the best with the game. One more before you go, if you could share a few drinks with any video game character, who would you choose and why?

This is weird, because this character doesn’t even talk. So, the video game character I’m the most attached to right now and with whom I’ve spent most of my time in a game, is my Skyrim character. I’ve been playing and modding that poor game for years (and still) using the same character, that I now feel so familiar with to the point I want to have a drink with.

Readers, we hope you’ve enjoyed that and as I mentioned before you can catch Shinu on Twitter, and on the game’s Facebook page.

Adrian and Anthony

Anthony...

This looks Great! I`m in for a Neo AES, Neo CD and Dreamcast versions! If they get a release.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

1. 【お知らせ】ゲーム大会が開催されます。ぜひご参加ください! #SNK #KOF14 #餓狼伝説SPECIAL #餓狼SP #ガロスペ https://esports.krone.company/e-spoosu/ pic.twitter.com/lKw8iM3Bn9

Translate Tweet

【 Notice 】 Game competitions will be held. Please come and join us! #SNK #KOF14 #餓狼伝説SPECIAL #餓狼SP #ガロスペ https://esports.krone.company/e-spoosu/

D2EApf5UcAAcTGq.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. 実は…気づいちゃったことがあるんです…戎橋ツタヤでNEOGEOグッズ買うと、Tポイントがついちゃうんですよね…しかもTポイントを使って買うことも出来ちゃうんですよね…。 春に大活躍のスウェットも、ギース様のお醤油も…。 ヤ、ヤバくない?!(◎_◎) #SNK #NEOGEO #TSUTAYA #Tポイントpic.twitter.com/F1kIFMc5yi

Translate Tweet

Actually... I have noticed... When I buy NEOGEO goods at Ebisubashi Bridge Tutaya, I get T points... Moreover, it is possible to buy it by using T point. Sweat is also a big success in the spring, also the soy sauce of geese.... Ya, isn't it dangerous?! (◎_◎ #SNK #NEOGEO) #TSUTAYA #Tポイント

D2FvXpDUwAAeOtA.jpg
    D2FvXpCUwAAm2xM.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. Goods of "SNK Limited Store Festival !!" have arrived in Zen Plus! The illustration is drawn by Mr. Ogura Eisuke! Overseas delivery is also possible. ▼ tote bag https://buff.ly/2Y8mimx ▼ cans badge https://buff.ly/2FnGHwH ▼ Acrylic key holder https://buff.ly/2UKaeWp pic.twitter.com/Q6GTPV8Key

D2HEV6zWoAEeZwR.jpg
    D2HEV4_WwAA-oAq.jpg
    D2HEV6bXQAAGLrM.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 2

Hi guys,

1. 「ハワコネTシャツ(カリスマレッド)」&「NESTSTシャツ(肉食グリーン)」売り切れ続出中です!売り切れたサイズは4月に再入荷いたします。少々お待ちくださいませ。#SNK #HCC ▼ハワコネTシャツ https://buff.ly/2UI98dR ▼NESTS Tシャツ https://buff.ly/2FfRis0 pic.twitter.com/2RsOXaTX1G

Translate Tweet

"Hawasi T-shirt (charismatic red)" & "NESTST-shirt (carnivorous green)" is sold out after another! The sold out size will be re-stocked in April. Please wait for a moment. #SNK #HCC ▼ Hawakon t-shirt https://buff.ly/2UI98dR ▼ NESTS t-shirt https://buff.ly/2FfRis0

D2JqIDFX4AA55bM.jpg
    D2JqICgW0AAzteP.jpg
    D2JqIC-WoAAN7bt.jpg
    D2JqIDGWoAAAGEI.jpg

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi Shinu,

You're very welcome kind sir. If you like, feel free to post your part 3 video or any new content at anytime you wish. We would be interested on seeing the progress on it and how you're making out on the game. We're really glad to have you aboard with us. :)

Anthony...

Thanks again! Sure.

Part 3 has to wait because right now I'll be working on that thing for the 24th :)

• Like 2

Just picked up a copy of a Japanese only game Ragnagard off the streets believe it or not, known in Japan as Shin-Oh-Ken (神凰拳 lit. "God Phoenix Fist"), is 2D arcade fighting game developed by System Vision and published by Saurus for the Neo Geo arcade, Neo Geo CD and Sega Saturn. The game's characters are all based on Shinto deities.

It tries really hard to be Killer instinct although it isn’t. I kind of like what they tried here but this is not a very good game. The only reason I got it because it was super cheap as it goes for $600-$1,200 on eBay and price charts have it around there as well. I was spooked as the PCB’s had two different color pin outs and after inspecting the cart it had some marks indicating it had been opened.

Turns out the board is legit and so are the chips so there was a good chance this was sent back to SNK at some point for repair and they used a different board.

I can’t say I recommend the game but it isn’t terrible, just not as good as it should be. It’s extremely hard and your opponents perform super desperation movies at will and their defense is so good that killing them fast is only reserved for expert players. Like all SNK games the depth is incredible and these types of games can be appreciated only after some serious practice as each character has specific moves and defenses that make not one more powerful than the other so it’s quite involved and a different style is needed to beat each character, spamming will get you killed right quick.

Ragnagard1_zpsplswzqz7.jpg
Ragnagard2_zpslizsmmzm.jpg
Ragnagard6_zpspvg5rdcr.jpg
Ragnagard4_zps4ecef0fk.jpg
Ragnagard5_zpshitukf4j.jpg
Ragnagard3_zpskpor7mp4.jpg

• Like 2

Just picked up a copy of a Japanese only game Ragnagard off the streets believe it or not, known in Japan as Shin-Oh-Ken (神凰拳 lit. "God Phoenix Fist"), is 2D arcade fighting game developed by System Vision and published by Saurus for the Neo Geo arcade, Neo Geo CD and Sega Saturn. The game's characters are all based on Shinto deities.

It tries really hard to be Killer instinct although it isn’t. I kind of like what they tried here but this is not a very good game. The only reason I got it because it was super cheap as it goes for $600-$1,200 on eBay and price charts have it around there as well. I was spooked as the PCB’s had two different color pin outs and after inspecting the cart it had some marks indicating it had been opened.

Turns out the board is legit and so are the chips so there was a good chance this was sent back to SNK at some point for repair and they used a different board.

I can’t say I recommend the game but it isn’t terrible, just not as good as it should be. It’s extremely hard and your opponents perform super desperation movies at will and their defense is so good that killing them fast is only reserved for expert players. Like all SNK games the depth is incredible and these types of games can be appreciated only after some serious practice as each character has specific moves and defenses that make not one more powerful than the other so it’s quite involved and a different style is needed to beat each character, spamming will get you killed right quick.

Hey Evile,

Great to see you back on with us. Nice pick up with Ragnagard. Great looking game and pretty expensive to pick this one up these days. WDo you pick this one up in Manhattan bro?

I personally like this one and it it's quite unique of a game to play. It tries to look good with 3D models of characters with 2D mechanics that I think they try to do make something out of with it. So it holds a real piece of history for what the developer was trying to do.

Thank you for sharing this with us Evile. Always glad to have you here with us posting away with your excellent game pickups. :)

Anthony...

I would love to see Wings of Bluestar release as a Neo Geo title, if it ever comes out as an AES title, you'll have my support. The character portraits remind me of Phantasy Star a bit too which is cool.

That makes two of us Chaos. :-D Great looking game that I would want an AES copy of it. Thank you for stopping by to see this my man. :)

Anthony...

Thanks again! Sure.

Part 3 has to wait because right now I'll be working on that thing for the 24th :)

You're welcome Shinu. Can't wait to see it. :thumbsup:

As for that thing on the 24th. We're really looking forward on seeing it even more. Thank you again. :)

Anthony..

Hi everyone,

I made a short video about Wings of Bluestar, hoping to get more people interest in the game, and hopefully a port will happen on retro console.I also put link in the description to the NEOGEO thread, hopefully it will get more people to join us. Cheers.

Hey NGCD,

Such a fantastic video this is and we're glad that you shared this for the community to see. Looks great and thank you for mentioning us in the video. Well done from the moment it started. Thank you again kind sir. Keep up the great work you always to for all of us. :)

Anthony..

I would love to see Wings of Bluestar release as a Neo Geo title, if it ever comes out as an AES title, you'll have my support. The character portraits remind me of Phantasy Star a bit too which is cool.

Thanks for the interest!! we'll do our best for a successful Steam and actual consoles release, so we can have enough funds for retro ports.

Hi everyone,

I made a short video about Wings of Bluestar, hoping to get more people interest in the game, and hopefully a port will happen on retro console.I also put link in the description to the NEOGEO thread, hopefully it will get more people to join us. Cheers.

Thanks a lot for the video! really appreciated.

You're welcome Shinu. Can't wait to see it. :thumbsup:

As for that thing on the 24th. We're really looking forward on seeing it even more. Thank you again. :)

Anthony..

Already finished :) Now struggling with some texts since I'm not great at text editing.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Neo Geo World Tour 2 - Malaysia stop is this weekend!
Who will win and qualify for this stop in KOF XIV and KOF98?

Special thanks to Flash Vision, KITAMEN, Sea Major, Terry & the Malaysia KOF Union, and all the fighters who will participate!

...See More
54256073_305850206747125_464821780336135

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

1. 【新商品のお知らせ】 イベント『SNK Limited Store Festival!!』の限定グッズがSNKオンラインショップに入荷!イラストはSNK公式イラストレーターの「おぐらえいすけ」氏描き下ろしです!お見逃しなく! ※イベント限定商品は在庫限りとなっております ▼ご購入はコチラ! https://buff.ly/2CrNpjl pic.twitter.com/KBAeaQZEPO

Translate Tweet

[News of new products] event [sNK Limited Store Festival!!] Limited goods are in stock in SNK online shop! Illustration is drawn by Mr. SNK official illustrator [Tsuyuzaki]! Don't miss out! ※ Limited Edition products are ▼ available for purchase here! https://buff.ly/2CrNpjl

D2EgiX1XQAIXNMx.jpg
    D2EgiW-X4AAishS.jpg
    D2EgiWsXQAARIxw.jpg

Anthony...