IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hey guys,

Back with fellow Atariage member Mike7599. Well guess what fellas? Mike got a unibios chip installed in his Neo-Geo AES unit. Let's listen in on what he has to say and what he feels about it shall we? :)

From the description,

"In today’s video we take a look at my newly modded Neo Geo AES. I finally decided to swap out my Japanese bios chip with a Universe Bios. I had the old bios desoldered and a new socket put in so that future bios swaps will be a piece of cake. It was professionally installed by Ken from the Advanced Repair Center. Ken specializes in Sega arcade games but usually won’t shy away from any arcade game or project. Big thanks to him for helping me out with this.

The Unibios, developed by Razoola (a Neo Geo enthusiast and programming legend) allows you the ability to switch between different region modes, select either arcade or console versions of games, add cheat codes, access a jukebox mode to listen to your favorite music tracks from games and much much more. It is the quintessential piece of kit for your Neo Geo!

Order your unibios:
www.universebios.com

Check out Advancex Repair Center: www.irepairsega.com"

Anthony..

dSnfsUy.jpg 74zXHvu.jpg

Putting this here for posterity's sake. Was handed a very early non-functional Neo Geo AES (with the add-on board to tweak master clock) that was putting out a loud hum for audio and only displaying solid black video. The CXA encoder audio output (pin 9) had bridged onto c-sync input (pin 10), which apparently bled back to c-sync output of the LSPC-A0 chip (pin 126). C-sync was weak, 0.4 volts, and measuring 5 ohms to ground, near continuity. C-sync output should actually be 0.8 volts and measure 5 m-ohms from pin 126 to any of the ground pins of the LSPC-A0.

The CXA chip was easily replaced, the LSPC not so much. Luckily managed to source a junked MV1 arcade board that had suffered battery leakage but had the exact same LSPC-A0 chip, so I performed a transplant with a 32mm x 32mm hot air focus hood and a couple hours of fine pitch soldering. The AES system now works splendily and I am in the process of recapping it and installing a socketed Unibios.

Later models of the Neo Geo use a revised version marked LSPC2-A2 which appears to be more common and is not compatible with the older version.

• Like 2

Putting this here for posterity's sake. Was handed a very early non-functional Neo Geo AES (with the add-on board to tweak master clock) that was putting out a loud hum for audio and only displaying solid black video. The CXA encoder audio output (pin 9) had bridged onto c-sync input (pin 10), which apparently bled back to c-sync output of the LSPC-A0 chip (pin 126). C-sync was weak, 0.4 volts, and measuring 5 ohms to ground, near continuity. C-sync output should actually be 0.8 volts and measure 5 m-ohms from pin 126 to any of the ground pins of the LSPC-A0.

The CXA chip was easily replaced, the LSPC not so much. Luckily managed to source a junked MV1 arcade board that had suffered battery leakage but had the exact same LSPC-A0 chip, so I performed a transplant with a 32mm x 32mm hot air focus hood and a couple hours of fine pitch soldering. The AES system now works splendily and I am in the process of recapping it and installing a socketed Unibios.

Later models of the Neo Geo use a revised version marked LSPC2-A2 which appears to be more common and is not compatible with the older version.

Hi Bratwurst,

Welcome to the Neo-Geo thread. We're glad to have you board with us. :)

That's really interesting to see. If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw your posting on Twitter as @MagicTrashman. You had a pic with a dime showing the size of the chip for comparison. Nice that you were able to bet this early Neo-Geo board going. I always have a soft spot for early AES boards. Thank you for sharing this with us and explaining what was done to it. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

That always fascinate me.. I do solder but I'm not equipped to deal with those kidns of small soldering. Congrats on salvagign that console!

I second that CatPix. I like to solder, but don't have the proper skills for the small duties on them.

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi Bratwurst,

Welcome to the Neo-Geo thread. We're glad to have you board with us. :)

That's really interesting to see. If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw your posting on Twitter as @MagicTrashman. You had a pic with a dime showing the size of the chip for comparison. Nice that you were able to bet this early Neo-Geo board going. I always have a soft spot for early AES boards. Thank you for sharing this with us and explaining what was done to it. :)

Anthony...

Yes, that's me on Twitter. I just finished replacing the capacitors along with Unibios install, and having swapped the 100uf caps + 68 ohm resistors on the video output lines with 470uf and 75ohm, it fixed a screen rolling issue where bright flashes and solid whites on screen would cause one of my CRTs to lose sync temporarily. These new values bring the video output to proper spec, not sure why SNK went with the values they did.

Before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irkDzP1QrF8

After: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C05Jbd_oOss

This system isn't mine, but I was considering getting a two slot MVS to consolize, the arcade carts are a little more reasonably priced these days.

• Like 2

Yes, that's me on Twitter. I just finished replacing the capacitors along with Unibios install, and having swapped the 100uf caps + 68 ohm resistors on the video output lines with 470uf and 75ohm, it fixed a screen rolling issue where bright flashes and solid whites on screen would cause one of my CRTs to lose sync temporarily. These new values bring the video output to proper spec, not sure why SNK went with the values they did.

Before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irkDzP1QrF8

After: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C05Jbd_oOss

This system isn't mine, but I was considering getting a two slot MVS to consolize, the arcade carts are a little more reasonably priced these days.

Very cool indeed. Glad to see you're skillful on being a video game technician. We certainly could use a good man like yourself in repairing Neo-Geo units. I'll be glad to add you for reference for those that are looking around for service when others (including myself) are in the need on having it done. :)

Thank you for also sharing these uploads. You're more than welcome to post more on here as well. If you like the videos to be shown on the Neo-Geo thread, Albert the administrator explained to me that using the share link on the bottom of the video will work. The traditional URL on top isn't working to show the vids, only the links, but he mention that the new software for Atariage will fix that issue.

Thank you again Bratwurst. I'm going to follow your YouTube and Twitter accounts now. :)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

1. In a very close and hard fought match between @frionel26 and @MHntati, Hntati took the #NGWT2 France Stop @stunfest #KOFXIV tournament qualifier spot and is going to the Global Finals! Congratulations to Hntati for qualifying for the Global Finals! @brookgamingfanspic.twitter.com/02eVIFFWXg

D668ljPXkAEEkb2.jpg

Hi guys,

1. #NGWT2 France Stop at @stunfest #KOFXIV tournament results: Winner: @ET1120 1st runner up: @White_Ashx 2nd runner up: @MHntati Congratulations to Hntati for qualifying for the Global Finals! @brookgamingfans @orochinagicompic.twitter.com/vQyq3spp6m

D6681F9XsAAupST.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. Who is going to take the qualifier for the Global Finals, @frionel26 or Dr GALSEN? #NGWT2 France Stop at @stunfest live now with #KOF98 Top 3 at @brookgamingfans @frionel26 @orochinagicompic.twitter.com/mlTIvZxrMC

D68TPcuWwAEKZDa.jpg

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

1. #NGWT2 France Stop at @stunfest #KOF98 tournament results: Winner: @ET1120 1st runner up: Dr GALSEN 2nd runner up: @frionel26 Congratulations to Dr GALSEN for qualifying for the Global Finals! @brookgamingfans @orochinagicompic.twitter.com/zygoACB4MP

D69B76IWwAAhGZ9.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back with fellow Atariage member aaronclassicgamer. Look what he got from GameStop. A NeoGeo Mini International version. Let's listen in on what he has to say shall we? :)

From the description,

"Neo Geo Mini International Unboxing. Yeah I am late to the party getting this new retro mini console by SNK. But better late than never. The emulation seems to be a great improvement over the Neo Geo X. I am somewhat disappointed with the lack of micro switches in the control stick of the arcade unit and the controller, but they seem to do ok. The controller is comfortable and seems very solid. The change in button layout is a little weird to get used to but not a deal breaker. The game selection screen is simple but now you have save states. This is a great improvement over the Neo Geo X. Switching between games is easy. The little screen is sharp and is in traditional 4:3 aspect ratio. I will need to get a mini HDMI cord to play on the big screen. Also SNK chose to not include the adapter to plug into an outlet. Weird cost cutting options. However, the mini console does what it is meant to do and brings back all sorts of nostalgia for some of the classics of the Neo Geo Library! Enjoy and Happy Gaming!"

Anthony...

• Like 2

Hi guys,

1. 【New Product Notice】 "NEOGEO smartphone cover" (all two types) sale start from today! As there are M size and L size, please purchase size suitable for size of one's smartphone. ■ ZEN PLUS DOT: https://buff.ly/2HCT7QZ Game hard:https://buff.ly/2W8SUyt pic.twitter.com/yOoLiACfvZ

D6-qqRKX4AECSUe.jpg
    D6-qqR-XYAE0E--.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. 【予告】【1000日突破記念イベント】 ログインボーナス、おみくじ、「三国武将ー時空を駆ける戦士たち」、合言葉、クエストドロップ、限定交換などイベントが盛りだくさん!羅刹ナコルル交換用アイテム「狼牙」、「紫色のリボン」、「羅刹ナコルルのぬいぐるみ」をたくさん集めよ! #KOF98UMOLpic.twitter.com/L4AU96Uuvi

Translate Tweet
    Translated from Japanese by Microsoft

Notice [1000 Day breakthrough commemorative event] Login bonus, Fortune, "warriors who are in the Three Kingdoms-spacetime", watchword, Quest drop, limited exchange events and lots! Gather a lot of "Wolf Fang", "Purple ribbon", and "stuffed Rasetsu Nakorle" for Rasetsu nakoral replacement items! #KOF98UMOL

D6-oYclXkAE3kb4.jpg
    D6-oYbkWwAICUej.jpg
    D6-oYcaXsAAELnm.jpg
    D6-oYgXXkAEn37V.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. 【期間限定武器ガチャが開催!】 イベント期間中、期間限定武器ガチャでシュンエイの覚醒武器・専属ヘッドホンの魂、ナイトメアギースの覚醒武器・悪夢グローブの魂が入手可能!! #KOF98UMOLpic.twitter.com/nxLWf9IiYT

Translate Tweet
    Translated from Japanese by Microsoft

[Limited time Weapon Gacha held! 】 During the event, the soul of the Awakening Weapons and exclusive headphones of shun ei in the limited-time weapon Gacha, Nightmare Gease of Awakening weapons nightmare glove is available!! #KOF98UMOL

D6-TxVEX4AAMGQl.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. HORI RAP4 Kai Customized by LAYERS FGC [ARCADE EDITION] PS3/PS4/PC Ready to rock in style and ships within 24 hours https://tinyurl.com/HRAP4LAYERS #hori #rap4kai #arcadestick #fightstick #impress #astrocity #mvs #sc19 #snk #neogeopic.twitter.com/AiaOMbgQaY

D68NRRhUwAAD-He.jpg
    D68NRRiUIAECwVv.jpg
    D68NRRjUwAITe4V.jpg
    D68NRRkUcAANzJe.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. All Restocked - after you gals/guys cleaned us out yesterday HORI FIGHTING EDGE PS4 / PC [Customized w/ Sanwa Denshi or Seimitsu parts] https://tinyurl.com/HORIFECUSTOMIZED #hori #fightingedge #arcadestick #fightstick #sanwadenshi #seimitsupic.twitter.com/rjDAKlP770

D61YHpqVUAEinr3.jpg
    D61YHqHUYAEKo8B.png
    D61YHqJUcAAyqFV.png
    D61YHqIU0AA6jKZ.png

Anthony...

• Like 1