IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

Update: Samurai Shodown's western release date for the Nintendo Switch version set for February 25, NeoGeo Limited Edition detailed https://eventhubs.com/news/2019/dec/19/samurai-shodowns-western-release-date-nintendo-switch-version-may-be-set-february-25-2020-neogeo-limited-edition-detailed/

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was the most downloaded game on the Nintendo Switch in 2019 that wasn't Fortnite #SmashBrosUltimate #Fortnite https://eventhubs.com/news/2020/jan/08/super-smash-bros-ultimate-was-most-downloaded-game-nintendo-switch-2019-wasnt-fortnite/

Anthony..

Hey guys,

Me and Atariage member Adriano Arcade  have done an article with another fantastic SNK employee by the name of Jonathan Campana. He's SNK's Community Manager and offers great public relation skills with developers and gamers in the community. Enjoy this fun piece for sure. :)

We love SNK at and we recently caught up with the legendary company’s community manager Jonathan Campana: , a man whose job is to build bridges between SNK gamers and developers to further the entire experience. #snk #NeoGeo https://arcadeattack.co.uk/jonathan-campana-snk/

Arcade Attack

Jonathan Campana (SNK) – Interview

arcadeattack3rd Jan 2020AA ArticlesLeave a Comment

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/jonathan-campana-snk/

We love SNK, that’s a fact. And it seems that SNK supremos (thankfully) love talking to us! Adrian and Anthony caught up with the legendary company’s community manager Jonathan Campana, a man whose job is to build bridges between SNK gamers and developers to further the entire experience. It’s a fascinating role and one which Jonathan is ploughing head-first into as you’ll find out in this quick chat! If you’ve got any questions for Jon please contact him on Twitter or follow him on Twitch.

After you’ve finished reading this, why not check out our interviews with other SNK greats such as Jim BulmerNobuyuki Kuroki, Yasuyuki Oda and Youichiro Soeda!

Please tell us a little about yourself and how you started off in the video game industry.

My name is Jonathan but people on the internet call me KrispyKaiser or KK for short. I’ve always been an avid gamer, but ever since I was a young lad, I really wanted to enjoy the forbidden fruit that is Japan-exclusive games. I decided at around age 19 to study moonspeak, and after 3 years in an intensive language school in Osaka, I ultimately decided to pursue college full-time in Japan.

During my time as a student, I became fascinated with the indie-game scene here, and I would often volunteer my time to help out at both Bitsummit and TGS. I even ended up writing my graduation thesis based around the concept of learning language though games.

Eventually though, graduation came, and I had to look for a job. Up to that point, I had been streaming heavily for the past 3 years, but I had to put that aside in hopes to find employment. The stars aligned and one day and I noticed that SNK, yes, the Shin Nihon Kikaku was looking for a community manager position to be filled. I applied right away and by the grace of God I was given the job.

So, yeah! I’m a newbie to the scene! I’ve always been on the outside looking in, and now I finally see what it’s like on the other side.

Was this your first role within the video game industry?

Indeed, this is my first time working for the industry. Wait, does Chuck. E. Cheese count?

We’d probably say no, lol! What is your daily routine like and what projects have you been involved in?

It’s certainly changed a bit since I got here. At first, I spent most my days playing through all the titles I missed out on growing up all while getting acclimated to their communication systems. There was certainly a lot to digest, but now I’ve mostly gotten used to it.

I have a couple jobs at the moment. One is, of course, being a community manager, which I do by acting as a messenger for the user base. I take their questions, comments, and concerns, make sure they arrive in the hands of the dev team all nice and translated.

At the same time, I make tutorial videos for people new to fighting games, translate documents and interviews, and I’m even working on making new, unique content that I guarantee you nobody has seen. It’s my first stab at something like this, so I’m really going to rely on the community for support and guidance as we build this thing up together.

Has working with SNK met your expectations on what you anticipated so far and were you a fan of the company and their games before you joined?

I’ve always been a fan of SNK, but growing up as an only child, I found myself attracted to their platformers and beat ’em ups rather than their rich fighting game selection. Metal Slug, Mutation Nation, and Top Hunter have a special place in my heart.

Part of your role is to get the voice of SNK gamers to the developers. How do you aim to bridge the gap between your company’s consumers and developers?

I do this by being as open and transparent as possible. I’m on Discord, Reddit, Twitch, and Twitter, and I keep my DMs open for anyone to message me. I also like going directly into twitch streams to hear opinions directly.

Which platforms do you aim to communicate best to the SNK community?

This is a hard question. We’re thinking of doing community-focused streams, but I’m still trying to iron out the logistics.

ozma-wars.jpg?resize=400%2C300&ssl=1

Can you describe the most common request or idea from SNK gamers share with you to pass on to the developers of SNK?

People really want to see classic titles ported to the PC in a way that rivals when they were on console.

I’d like to see that happen too, and though we have the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection (which if you haven’t picked it up yet, I highly suggest doing so. It has Ozma Wars FFS!) there are still more games that need to be on there and other platforms.

Arcade games are on the rise again, and there’s no better time to get cracking on this.

What is the oddest request or piece of communication you have received from a member of the SNK community?

Someone asked me once if Galford actually slept with Nakoruru. (… – Ed)

You’re are a prominent Twitch streamer. Is that in relation to your work at SNK or is it a personal endeavour?

“Prominent” is an extremely generous way to put it! But yeah, community building and streaming was my life for a hot moment, but unfortunately life (finding a job, having a baby, moving) made all that really difficult. I’m excited to get back into streaming and talking with the community again, though!

What types of game can we expect to see you stream there?

At this point in time, I don’t have any plans to stream on my main channel. This is for two reasons: 1. I don’t have internet at home. (Our previous provider took us to the cleaners) And 2. I come home at around 7-8PM, and then it’s my turn to take care of the babby so my wife can rest.

The plan at this moment is to set up streaming/content production here at SNK, and when I have time in the future, do some streams on my down time. I generally like to play text-heavy RPGs (SMT, Persona, etc) in Japanese and translate to English on the fly. It’s my way of studying, I guess.

How different is the gaming culture there in Japan compared to the US?

It doesn’t take much to say that the gaming culture here is really different. PC gaming is essentially non-existent, and mobile games are king.

It is often perceived that Japanese video gamers are extremely competitive in competitions such as EVO Japan. Are Japanese gamers as passionate and hardcore as they are made out to be in the west?

They are, but not for the most obvious reasons. In the states, attending a local is almost a weekly affair. But here in Japan, the locals are at the arcades, and most gamers go there everyday to practice. Many arcades here have a rich history of people who have been playing these games seriously for 30+ years. It’s hard not to be inspired to play better when everyone around you is your senpai and is willing to help you learn.

metal-slug-3.jpg?resize=399%2C308&ssl=1

Have you been involved in or hope to take part in any Japanese video game tournaments?

I’m up for the challenge, sure! I’m pretty sure I’ll get my shit slapped, though.

Can you list your top 3 SNK games and series and explain why?

For me personally it would be Metal Slug 3, Top Hunter, and SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS.

Metal Slug 3: What is there to say, really. This game is a masterpiece.

Top Hunter: I know, it’s easy. But it’s a fun game. The music and art are stunning and it’s just one of those gems you have to play once in your life.

SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS: This game got me interested in card-based fighters. At the time I had no idea who most of the characters were, but it was a really fun and unique game that I played waaaay back when I was young. I still think about it time to time. It’d be nice to see another SNK card fighter, but perhaps the market is saturated with them by now.

As an employee at SNK in Japan and part of the video game industry, what advice would you give to anyone looking to enter the video game industry?

Think hard about your ideas because what you think may be good for the company may actually be disastrous. The people here have been around the block a few times and generally know what they’re talking about. It’s best to lay low, learn, and present your ideas based around a lot of solid reasoning. It’s easy to let emotions take the wheel, but just calm down and learn from your superiors.

What are your three favourite video games of all time?

Phantasy Star Online, Digimon World, Vandal Hearts.

PSO: Come ON. This is -the- greatest action-based MMO ever made. It’s a classic. I still listen to the OST every other week. I really, really love this game. The aesthetics, the art direction, it’s just so god damn cool. If I could upload myself into a game, this would be it.

Digimon World: This game blew my god damn mind as a kid. That opening FMV was the most hype shit, and the atmosphere and gameplay was stunning. I must say though, Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode did an excellent job building upon the original game. It pretty much surpasses the OG one in all departments EXCEPT in music.

Vandal Hearts: I like me some good tactics games, but Vandal Hearts for the PSX took me by the hand and made me a MAN. Each battle tests the shit out of you, and I always somehow managed to survive by the skin of my teeth.

If you could share a few drinks with a video game character, who would choose and why?

Stephen from SMT so I can pick his brain on what the meaning of life is.

Adrian & Anthony

Anthony...

•  

Hi guys,

「蕎麦処 八神庵のそば」のセット、単品ともに 2次受注の受付を開始いたしました! 受注期間は1月26日(日)まで!お見逃しなく♪ ※お届けは2月中旬頃を予定しております。 https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=%E5%85%AB%E7%A5%9E%E5%BA%B5%E3%81%AE%E3%81%9D%E3%81%B0 #SNK #八神庵の蕎麦
Translated from Japanese by
We have started accepting orders for 2nd order for both "Soba restaurant Yagami no soba" set and single item! Orders are accepted until January 26 (Sun)! Do not miss it ♪※ Delivery is scheduled around mid-February. https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=%E5%85%AB%E7%A5%9E%E5%BA%B5%E3%81%AE%E3%81%9D%E3%81%B0#SNK#八神庵の蕎麦

11:12 PM · Jan 9, 2020

Anthony...

Hi guys,

【SNKキャラクター誕生祭 第四弾・第五弾】 「ザ・キング・オブ・ファイターズ』シリーズより 誕生日が2月の「アッシュ・クリムゾン」、「シェルミー」 のビッグアクリルパネルが完全受注生産にて販売決定! 受注期間は1月30日(木)まで♪ https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?condition=ITEM&siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=Special+Birthday+Panel+Series #SNK #SNKキャラクター誕生祭 #KOF
[SNK Character Birthday Festival 4th and 5th] Big acrylic panels of "Ash Crimson" and "Shelmy" with a birthday of February from the "The King of Fighters" series are sold in full order production Decided! Orders are accepted until Thursday, January 30 ♪https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?condition=ITEM&siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=Special+Birthday+Panel+Series#SNK#SNKキャラクター誕生祭#KOF

11:47 PM · Jan 9, 2020

Anthony..

Hi guys,

「SNK ARCADE SOUND DIGITAL COLLECTION Vol.12」 が3月25日(水)に発売決定! SNKオンラインショップでも予約受付がスタート♪ 第12弾には、 『ザ・キング・オブ・ファイターズ '96』 『ザ・キング・オブ・ファイターズ '97』 のBGMが収録されています! https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4571442041334.html #SNK #KOF
"SNK ARCADE SOUND DIGITAL COLLECTION Vol.12" to be released on Wednesday, March 25! Pre-orders now open at SNK Online Shop ♪ The twelfth bullet contains the BGM of "The King of Fighters '96" and "The King of Fighters '97"! https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4571442041334.html#SNK#KOF
11:39 PM · Jan 9, 2020

Anthony...

Hi guys,

#ワールドヒーローズ』2巻は本日1/10発売! カバーはワーヒーのアイドル!?マッドマン! 発売を記念して #横尾公敏 直筆イラスト入りサイン色紙(1名)、サイン入りコミックス2巻(3名)をプレゼント

応募方法 1. をフォロー 2.この投稿をRT(1/31 24時まで) 当選者にDM送ります
" #ワールドヒーローズ Volume 2 is released today 1/10! Cover is a work idol! Madman! To commemorate the release #横尾公敏 Signed colored paper with autograph illustration (1 person), 2 autographed comics (3 people)

How to apply 1. 2. DM this post to the winner (until 1/31 24:00)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【コミックス2巻本日発売!】 四半世紀前、実際にゲームを開発していた #横尾公敏 が描くマンガ版 #ワールドヒーローズ ! 2巻のカバーにも登場する #マッドマン 誕生秘話を公開します!(コミックス2巻にも収録) 第1話はふらっとヒーローズにて全ページ無料公開中

https://viewer.heros-web.com/episode/10834108156641081379
[Comics Volume 2 released today! ] A quarter century ago, I was actually developing a game #横尾公敏 Manga version drawn by #ワールドヒーローズ ! Appears in two volumes of cover #マッドマン We release the birth secret story! (Also included in the second volume of comics) Episode 1 is being released for free on Flat Heroes

https://viewer.heros-web.com/episode/10834108156641081379

10:15 PM · Jan 9, 2020

Anthony...

5 hours ago, RedGamer said:

Mine just shipped today so yours should real soon. I'm also super excited to play!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, F34R said:

Just checked email.  Mine has shipped as well!    BONUS!!! lol

Well done Justin and F34R. Glad you fellas are getting Kraut Buster in the mail. The AES version is going to be avalible later in the year. 8^)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have experience in replacing the NeoGeo CD Controller cable. I'm currently fixing my NeoGeo controller and I did some unnecessary surgery on it.

The up and down directions don't work so I cleaned the microswitches. That didnt work so I tried to clean the controller plug and while doing that I noticed the pinouts for the down and left directions(pin 2 & 10) are missing the copper plating.

So it looks like I have to replace the cable and am looking for advice on how to do that safely. I found a site where to order the cable, I just want advice on how to actually fix it.

I don't want to pull out the cable from the board because I'm afraid I'm going to permanently damage it. For me it seems like I have to cut the current cable and splice the new one with it. Is that the way to do it?

I posted screenshots of the issue.

20200110_222446.jpg

20200110_222431.jpg

Screenshot_20200110-223933_Photos.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lutechsource said:

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have experience in replacing the NeoGeo CD Controller cable. I'm currently fixing my NeoGeo controller and I did some unnecessary surgery on it.

The up and down directions don't work so I cleaned the microswitches. That didnt work so I tried to clean the controller plug and while doing that I noticed the pinouts for the down and left directions(pin 2 & 10) are missing the copper plating.

So it looks like I have to replace the cable and am looking for advice on how to do that safely. I found a site where to order the cable, I just want advice on how to actually fix it.

I don't want to pull out the cable from the board because I'm afraid I'm going to permanently damage it. For me it seems like I have to cut the current cable and splice the new one with it. Is that the way to do it?

I posted screenshots of the issue.

Hey Lu,

Bratwurst and Mobiusstriptech can help you out. Here's the link to their profiles on Atariage.com. Tell them Anthony (fdurso224) forward you. ?

https://atariage.com/forums/profile/2070-bratwurst/?tab=topics

https://atariage.com/forums/profile/62147-mobiusstriptech/

Anthony..

6 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Hey Lu,

Bratwurst and Mobiusstriptech can help you out. Here's the link to their profiles on Atariage.com. Tell them Anthony (fdurso224) forward you. ?

https://atariage.com/forums/profile/2070-bratwurst/?tab=topics

https://atariage.com/forums/profile/62147-mobiusstriptech/

Anthony..

Thank you Anthony! I'll contact them!

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【店頭購入のお知らせ】 現在SNK関連グッズを購入できる店舗は下記になります。 是非お越しください♪ 【店舗一覧】 ・秋葉原オノデン本店1F ・スーパーポテト秋葉原店 ・池袋ゲーセンミカド IN ランブルプラザ ・名古屋ガロスペスタジアム ・墓場の画廊WEST(1月14日まで) https://buff.ly/39RnEYu
[Notice of store purchase] The stores where you can purchase SNK related goods are as follows. Please come by all means ♪ [Store List] ・ Akihabara Onoden Main Store 1F ・ Super Potato Akihabara Store ・ Ikebukuro Gesen Mikado IN Rumble Plaza ・ Nagoya Garospe Stadium ・ Graveyard Gallery WEST (until January 14) https://buff.ly/39RnEYu

10:15 PM · Jan 8, 2020

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【KOF’98展〜KOFオロチ編 in 墓場の画廊〜】情報 完売していたものが再入荷致しました! これが最後の再入荷です

新商品もあるので是非遊びに来てください

#KOF #KOF98 #ゲーム大会 #墓場の画廊west
[KOF'98 Exhibition-KOF Orochi Edition in the Graveyard Gallery] This is the last restock

There are new products so please come and visit

#KOF#KOF98#ゲーム大会#墓場の画廊west

11:02 PM · Jan 8, 2020

Anthony..

• Like 1