IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

Back with AtariAge member NeoTurboManic. Here we see more of his comparison videos. This time with Art of Fighting. Enjoy. ;-)

From the description,

"We will compare Art of Fighting for the Neo Geo against the console ports released for the Super NES, Sega Genesis, & PC Engine. Art of Fighting (102 Mb) was the first Neo Geo game to exceed 100 megabits and featured several characteristics that would become standard for future fighters. All opinions for the home ports are based off my observations. The PC Engine port requires the use of the Arcade Card. Here are the requirements: Arcade Card Duo, if you own a PC Engine Duo, Duo-R, or a Super CD-ROM unit. Arcade Card Pro, If you own the original PC Engine CD-ROM unit. The Arcade Card Duo contains the additional 2048 KB (2 MB) of RAM to play Arcade CD-ROM titles, as the Duo, Duo-R, and Super CD-ROM units have the 256 KB of RAM already built in. The Arcade Card Pro contains the 256 KB of RAM for Super CD-ROM games, plus the additional 2048 KB of RAM (2 MB) to play Arcade CD-ROM games, for a total of 2304 KB (2.25 MB). Skip 8:08 to 8:36 of the video, if you do not want to see the ending for the Super NES version."

Anthony..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, the thing with Neo Turf Masters is weird because you'd think there is no problem with licensing because the all of the Neo Geo Metal Slugs are there. Still, Neo Turf Masters on the Switch eshop was apparently pulled and then replaced but with its Japanese title. I wonder what's going on with that game.

Outside of the Neo Geo community, the Neo Geo has a reputation for being a system that has nothing but fighting games and it is true that there are a lot of fighting games on the system. Unfortunately lots of the non-fighting games are insanely expensive. I really want both Twinkle Star Sprites, which I think is on the Japanese Neo Geo mini, and Windjammers, which isn't on any version of the mini, for my real Neo Geo. I think it should be no problem to get one of those MVS -> AES converters and get Windjammers, but Twinkle Star Sprites is way too expensive, I think. I'm glad it's on the mini, at least, and also on the Switch.

As for the Switch, what's with the Windjammers on there? I'm guessing it's running under emulation... right? They didn't actually port the game to the Switch, did they? I might go see about getting a physical copy on ebay or something since they aren't too expensive.

Yup I remember that the other name Big Tournament Golf, my only guess on that would be the likely case of consolidated laziness.  They needed perhaps an update, then just blew out the Japanese one everywhere and didn't bother with the other.  I just don't see how Neo Turf Masters which Aruze named, would potentially have some lockout unless somehow some company licensed the name for the US market.

Sadly it's true outside of the NeoGeo community thanks to a consolidated though not intentional effort by fighting game hardcore trolls it has created the lie that the majority of games on the Neo Geo are in fact fighters and little else exists outside of basically Metal Slug as it's common place too.  Reality though, of around about 150 games, I think it's around 30-40 of them are fighters, so sure, you're looking probably at a 1/3 of the library being one on one fighters.  Yet if you break away from that the totals are quite impressive on what else gets represented.  You have your run game gun games where projectiles fly like Metal Slug (all 6) and Cyber Lip, then you have your platformers from Magician Lord and 8Man through Top Hunter and Spinmaster, plenty of sports/racing games, a good many puzzles too, and a solid array of around a dozen shooters(like Andro Dunos and Captain Tomaday to Ghost Pilots and Strikers.)  There's the platforming puzzlers like Zupapa and Nightmare, and others, even screwball mahjong and quiz junk too.  The variety is quite strong, but few realize it thanks primarily to the likes of the KoF franchise and Metal Slug too.

I wouldn't know about Windjammers, I had worked to get a good deal on that a couple years back on MVS and regretted it ever since and until I sold it and thankfully broke even at worst.  Bleh.  I don't get the hype.

21 hours ago, CZroe said:

It was definitely after the switch from cardboard to softboxes. :)

When was that switch made? I got my Neo-Geo in late November of 1990 and all of my boxes have always been the same.

When was that switch made? I got my Neo-Geo in late November of 1990 and all of my boxes have always been the same.
Not sure, but it definitely launched with cardboard boxes for Baseball Stars Professional and the rest. MUCH later they switched to snap-lock cases but the softbox was the standard for several years.
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

セレクトガチャ『ムチ子ガチャ』がスタート! 「ウィップ」がMAX一撃40ピース獲得可能です!! ぜひお見逃しなく♪ https://youtu.be/mZhFEbv-CEo

#KOFクロニクル #KOFC
Translated from Japanese by
Select gacha "Muchiko gacha" has started! "Whip" can get 40 pieces per MAX! !! Do not miss ♪ https://youtu.be/mZhFEbv-CEo

#KOFクロニクル#KOFC https :// t.co/kOBdT7gmkZ

12:00 AM · May 1, 2020·

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【イベント】 新イベント「乾きの丘に降る彩雨」がスタート! 「僕が石油王になって、ヒメを救うよ。」 「KOFブロンズメダル」を集めて限定ストーリーや報酬新カードSSR [優しき守護者] ナギをゲットしよう

※イベントは5/11 21:59まで #KOFG
[Event] A new event, "Ayaame falling on a dry hill," has started! "I will be the Oil King and save Hime." Collect "KOF Bronze Medals" and get a limited story and reward new card SSR [Gentle Guardian] Nagi

※ Event until 5/11 21:59 #KOFG https :// t.co/P1J4kwTpT0

1:00 AM · May 2, 2020

Anthony..

Hi guys,

期間限定「春桜」テーマスキンと騎獣「金色の月」の紹介動画を持ってきましたぞ! お花見に行くには、このセットこそが最も相応しいもの! 5月21日10:59まで「花合屋-花」にて入手可能です。 お見逃しなく! #サムスピOL #サムライスピリッツ
For a limited time, I brought a theme spring "Sakura" theme skin and an introduction video of the beast "Golden Moon"! This set is the most suitable for cherry blossom viewing! It will be available at "Hanagoya-Flowers" until 10:59 on May 21. Do not miss it! #サムスピOL #サムライスピリッツ https :// t.co/2oOFCWFUVN

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Announcement! Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection will be released in European physical version on Nintendo Switch and PS4 by Pix'n Love! Big surprises are planned for this occasion! See you in a few weeks!

Anthony..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Wow the NGPC is TINY! Loving every minute of it, have mostly been playing Tennis of all things so far..

Yeah, it's pretty small. I see tons of them in Akiba every time I go there. I have been considering getting one for some time, but it's almost at the bottom of my list of things to buy and since the Analogue Pocket will support its games, I wonder if there would be much of a point since I will buy the Pocket anyway.

Speaking of the Pocket, I wonder if it could support Neo Geo. Not Pocket (Color), but actual Neo Geo. Obviously you'd have to run games from the SD card, but I'd like to see a 100% "real" Neo Geo as a handheld.

14 hours ago, CZroe said:
14 hours ago, Zap! said:

Not sure, but it definitely launched with cardboard boxes for Baseball Stars Professional and the rest. MUCH later they switched to snap-lock cases but the softbox was the standard for several years.

Now I'm curious.  I got my Neo-Geo in late November 1990. The official release date in the US was October 25, 1990. I wonder how I could have missed a cardboard box. 

Edited by Zap!

Now I'm curious.  I got my Neo-Geo in late November 1990. The official release date in the US was October 25, 1990. I wonder how I could have missed a cardboard box. 

I've always had the impression that it was almost momentary... like, maybe during the rental exclusivity period and launch allocation, though it seems they'd want to use cases for rentals and not just hand out loose cartridges! There was some guy who posted his launch-day receipt with pictured of his whole set and both games were cardboard boxes. 

Edit: Here's a Japanese example of the cardboard box with plastic tray...

https://www.ebay.it/itm/382342417387

Edit 2: I see some estimates that there were 12-17 titles released this way so this may have been overlapping with softbox releases.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?58860-Neo-Geo-AES-early-carton-box-releases-rarity-thoughts

Edit 3: I'm not seeing any confirmation of North American titles released in these cardboard cartons so maybe it was a Japanese or pre-release thing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CZroe said:

I've always had the impression that it was almost momentary... like, maybe during the rental exclusivity period and launch allocation, though it seems they'd want to use cases for rentals and not just hand out loose cartridges! There was some guy who posted his launch-day receipt with pictured of his whole set and both games were cardboard boxes.

Edit: Here's a Japanese example of the cardboard box with plastic tray...

https://www.ebay.it/itm/382342417387

Edit 2: I see some estimates that there were 12-17 titles released this way so this may have been overlapping with softbox releases.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?58860-Neo-Geo-AES-early-carton-box-releases-rarity-thoughts

Now I'm really curious to see his receipt, I'll try and search for it but this thread is huge lol. I posted my receipt earlier, I'll attach it again in case you missed it.

That Digital Press thread was also very interesting, thanks for the link. It does however imply that cardboard boxes were only Japanese Neo-Geo games. Was the guy you mentioned a US owner? The Japanese version came out roughly seven months before the US version.

receipt-edited.jpg

Edited by Zap!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zap! said:

Now I'm really curious to see his receipt, I'll try and search for it but this thread is huge lol. I posted my receipt earlier, I'll attach it again in case you missed it.

That Digital Press thread was also very interesting, thanks for the link. It does however imply that cardboard boxes were only Japanese Neo-Geo games. Was the guy you mentioned a US owner? The Japanese version came out roughly seven months before the US version.

I also shared this on Twitter as well Ter. Amazing this is and you just don't see something like this everyday. ;-)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

緑属性ファイター編】 #みどりの日 ということで 緑属性ファイターが大集合! Q.仲間はずれのファイターは誰でしょう? コメントで正解を送ってください! #KOFAS #KOF
[KOFAS quiz

Green attribute fighter edition] #みどりの日 So a large group of green attribute fighters! Q. Who are the outlying fighters? Please send the correct answer in the comments! #KOFAS#KOF https :// t.co/lqN16EjUjD

11:00 PM · May 3, 2020·Twitter for Advertisers

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【ミニゲーム「肉まん食う?」開催!】 肉まんと言えば「椎拳崇」!!画面を高速でタップして椎拳崇の口に肉まんを放り込め!たくさん食べさせるとボーナスが豪華になるよ! 詳しくはゲーム内のイベントをご確認ください

http://bit.ly/2LaJzi1

#KOF98UMOL #肉まん食う #ミニゲーム
[Mini-game "eat meat meat?" ] Speaking of meat, "Shiken Takashi"! !! Tap the screen at a high speed and throw a meat bun into Takashi Shiken's mouth! The more you eat, the more luxurious the bonus will be! Please check the in-game event for details.

http://bit.ly/2LaJzi1

#KOF98UMOL#肉まん食う#ミニゲーム https :// t.co/5DsgEYo5aC

10:55 PM · May 3, 2020

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Back with more SNK Metal music from CelestC. here we see him playing the theme of KimDong Hwan from Mark of the Wolves. Enjoy. ;-)

From the description,

"Iku ze ! Today I cover Kim Dong Hwan theme "Loose Genius" from Garou Mark Of The Wolves, released in 1999 by SNK on Neo Geo ! Enjoy ! Raph"

Anthony..

• Like 2