IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

【フェア】さらに!「SNK 美少女祭り inGAMERS」の会場で関連商品を10,000円以上購入していただくと、特典として『イベント限定トートバッグ』をプレゼントします!こちらもお見逃しなく☆ #SNK
Translated from Japanese by
[Fair] Further! If you purchase related products for 10,000 yen or more at the "SNK Bishoujo Matsuri in GAMERS" venue, you will receive an "event limited tote bag" as a special gift! Don't miss this too ☆#SNK

11:07 PM · May 3, 2020

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

SNKキャラクター誕生祭 第十一弾商品が登場! 「ロック・ハワード」のビッグアクリルパネルが受注生産にて販売!前後にアクリルを1枚ずつ使用しているため、立体的なイラストが楽しめます♪ 受注期間:2020年5月31日(日)23:59まで https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4580015699636.html

#SNK #ロック・ハワード
Translated from Japanese by
The 11th SNK Character Birthday Festival is here! "Rock Howard" Big Acrylic Panels are now available for build-to-order production! You can enjoy a three-dimensional illustration because it uses one piece of acrylic before and after. ♪ Ordering period: Until Sunday, May 31, 2020, 23:59 https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4580015699636.html

#SNK#ロック・ハワード

4:26 AM · May 12, 2020·

Anthony..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Would this be of help to you Tanooki?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Cable-Mini-Jack-Motherboard-Snk-Neo-Geo-Mvs-Speaker-Headphone-Arcade/174038194881?hash=item28857c1ac1:g:APsAAOSw27lb~F86

Stereo Cable Mini Jack Motherboard Snk Neo Geo Mvs Speaker/Headphone Arcade

s-l1600.jpg

Anthony...

Seen that cable and I wish, but no.  What I need would be effectively that end piece kind of.  On the actual MVS2 board which has the jacks, they're soldered right to the PCB itself.  They're black rectangles of plastic with the minimal wiring and metal plates inside to capture the phones plug to make the connection for the audio.  #2 on mine is basically shattered and held together with electrical tape I forgot I put there, and 1P has just gotten worse with time as the innards are spreading I guess so it get a bad connection.

I just need the 2 tiny parts and probably 30min of my time to just remove, desolder/solder the old/new in and button it back up and it would be nice.

That said I wish I could also source a 138in1 multicart but also an extension cable, or the right style male/female jacks to make one myself to extend it to work on a multi-slot system.

2 hours ago, NGCD Maniac said:

Hi, 

Question; what are you doing with loose AES games? I have a loose Samurai Showdown 2 and Im trying to find a shockbox and insert. All I can find are box and insert for MVS (Southtown), or expensive AES shockbox on the neostore.

Thx

Hey NGCD. Good question. With my AES games that are loose. I personally keep them the way they are. I thought about buying soft boxs or snap cases for them, and was looking around for inserts as well. But i figured, I wanted a loose AES collection and didn't pursue purchasing them. So I have them as cartridges only and makes it easier access from me to just pick them up and play with them without worrying about marking or scratches since the majority are commons.  Now the others that are ranked higher in rarity, I just try my best to take care of them more and avoid dust and sunfades really.

Hope this helps answer your question bro.  ;-)

Anthony..

7 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Seen that cable and I wish, but no.  What I need would be effectively that end piece kind of.  On the actual MVS2 board which has the jacks, they're soldered right to the PCB itself.  They're black rectangles of plastic with the minimal wiring and metal plates inside to capture the phones plug to make the connection for the audio.  #2 on mine is basically shattered and held together with electrical tape I forgot I put there, and 1P has just gotten worse with time as the innards are spreading I guess so it get a bad connection.

I just need the 2 tiny parts and probably 30min of my time to just remove, desolder/solder the old/new in and button it back up and it would be nice.

That said I wish I could also source a 138in1 multicart but also an extension cable, or the right style male/female jacks to make one myself to extend it to work on a multi-slot system.

I see. Have you tried contacting James at Jamma Nation X to see if he has what you're looking for? I heard he has plenty of parts for doing MVS boards for arcade units for the MVS big reds besides consolizing them. Maybe he can help you. 

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Nope, forgot that was even a thing.  I've not needed to try and repair or replace anything on this before.

I've been wanting to fix that, and also I've been thinking of trying to restore the EL panels on this as they're gone as is the wiring/board they need between them and the motherboard of the system.

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Nope, forgot that was even a thing.  I've not needed to try and repair or replace anything on this before.

I've been wanting to fix that, and also I've been thinking of trying to restore the EL panels on this as they're gone as is the wiring/board they need between them and the motherboard of the system.

Another fella I can recommend is Kenny at Neotropolis. He's currently looking at two AES units of mine. He's another person in the community that is good with parts for MVS and AES boards. Maybe he can help. 

Anthony..

4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I just facebooked the JNX account, and I guess I'll try and track down that one too as I've never heard of it/him before.

Also Tanooki. James told me once that it's easier to contact him by email. Here's the address to his account to contact him.

Anthony...

jnxarcade@Gmail.com

Just now, Tanooki said:

Ok thanks, now that's helpful.  I did just find the website.  Try searching neotropolis without neo geo, interesting site.

Yeah, neotrropolis does plenty for sure. I've been following him for years. Good work he does as well.

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Me and fellow AtariAge member Arcade_Adriano did a great Q&A article with Sam Dyer. The fella that's in charge of BitmapBooks. The same Bitmap Books that brought you the History of Metal Slug and SNK. Enjoy this thumping good read for sure. ;-)

We all love@bitmap_books right? The ace retro gaming publisher has got some lovely projects in the pipeline. Their leader Sam Dyer stopped by to answer lots of questions from our @Arcade_Adriano and @Fdurso224Durso : https://arcadeattack.co.uk/bitmap-books-feature/

#books #retrogaming

Bitmap Books – Feature

arcadeattack24th April 2020AA Articles, Indie FeaturesLeave a Comment

One of the things we love to collect in our old age is books. Books about games. Which is ironic seeing as a lot of us played games back in the day to get away from books! Greyfox and Fusion Retro Books both deserve an honourable mention but today we’re pleased to welcome Sam Dyer from the amazing Bitmap Books!

Our Adrian and Anthony caught up with Sam to quiz him as to how it all got started and what exciting projects they have on the horizon…

From being a graphic designer, working with computers, what sparked your interest to publish books?

As a graphic designer, I’ve always been interested in printed media. Sadly, the opportunity to design books in commercial graphic design is incredibly rare, and if one did arise, it tended to be on a subject I wasn’t massively into. Bitmap Books is the perfect hybrid of my two biggest passions, graphic design and retro gaming. Getting to design books on a subject you’re very passionate about is a dream come true and I often have to pinch myself. I wouldn’t say I was a book worm when growing up as I was always playing on my Commodore 64 and Amiga every spare minute I had!

How did you first get the inspiration to start Bitmap Books and how do you reflect back on the success of the company?

Around 2012, I started to get back into retro gaming and had seen a few books on the subject. I liked them but felt I could bring something fresh to the market. Bitmap Books started off as an outlet for my geeky hobby and was a fun side project. Over the years, it’s grown into a successful independent publishing house and something I spend the majority of my time on.

The inspiration for Bitmap Books is rooted in my love of pixel art. Back in the late 80’s when it would take 10 minutes for a Commodore 64 game to load, you’d be sat there, staring at a loading screen. 9 times out of 10 you’d get a loading screen image – a static 320 x 200 pixel picture, made from 16 colours. By today’s standards, these are incredibly crude. But back then, I was mesmerised by these creations and was in awe of how they were created. This is where my love for pixels and video game art started and Bitmap Books is simply a vehicle to showcase and preserve this beautiful art.

Batman-Commodore.png?resize=400%2C250&ss

Can you run through the process of creating a book from start to finish?

The first stage is always the concept. I ask myself important questions such as ‘will the book have a wide enough appeal’ and ‘is it an original enough idea?’ Once an idea is settled on, I would start designing some test pages, doing research and most fun – playing games! I really enjoy this stage where the book is evolving and the scope is wide open to what it could turn into.

A huge part is then generating the actual content. This varies book-to-book, but normally, this would start with mapping out a page plan (pagination). We would then start taking game screenshots, arranging interviews and recruiting contributors. This process can often take months and is the real ‘meat’ of the book.

Once the book content is fixed in draft form, it would then be a case of reviewing everything, maybe tweaking the design here and there. The text would be run past an editor. Once everyone is happy, the final stages are preparing the design files for print and getting a proofreader to do final checks on the copy.

Once ready for print, the whole production process takes around 2 months, and then 1 month for the books to arrive back to the UK. During this phase, we would see and approve various proofs and samples.

You have interviewed so many true gaming legends. Which people were you most proud to feature within your pages and is there anyone you would love to interview in the future?

The biggest shock was when Tim Stampter agreed to appear in our ZX Spectrum book and comment on his iconic Ultimate games. That was a real coup and came completely out of the blue. A personal favourite was interviewing Tim Girvin – the guy behind the agency that designed the NES, SNES and Game Boy retail packaging for North America. I’m equally proud of all the contributors that have appeared in our books.

Since the founding of Bitmap Books. How many works have been published so far and do you have a personal favourite book?

At the time of writing, we have published 15 books. My favourite, from a nostalgia point of view is Commodore 64: a visual Commpendium. From an objective point of view, it would have to be our most recent title – Metal Slug: The Ultimate History. It feels like the culmination of all our experience and learning over the last 5 years. In my opinion, that book is pretty near perfection.

Metal-Slug-Bitmap-Books.jpg?resize=500%2

The art within your books is incredible. How do you go about selecting and sourcing all these amazing images?

Game artworks and concept artworks tend to come from the companies that made the games or the individual developers – who thankfully kept it safe after all these years! Screenshots are taken using emulators with a nice crisp ‘nearest neighbour’ filter. We tend to take around 100 screenshots of a single game to enable us to have a nice selection to choose from. It’s always been my belief that pixels are best viewed ‘clean’ without any CRT scanlines. The purists will firmly disagree with this, but I love seeing exactly how the images are constructed with these tiny coloured blocks.

Which of your books was the most successful and are there any books that exceeded your expectations?

I’d say our most popular from sales has been Super Famicom: The Box Art Collection, closely followed by The Art of Point-and-Click Adventure Games. It’s always really hard to tell how well a book will sell and we’re often surprised when sales start as some do better than anticipated and some underperform. The joys of publishing!

How long does it take to create a book from start to finish?

The whole process can take up to one year on some books. Some may be less as it all depends on the concept and scope of the content.

kings-quest-bitmap-books.jpg?resize=450%

Are there any other options available for those that like to view your content?

On most books, where licensing allows, you also get a free digital PDF with each physical book purchase. As our books are pretty visual, audio books wouldn’t be best suited but we may investigate Kindle one day.

Metal Slug: The Ultimate History looks like another top title. When will this book be released to the public and what can they expect to see within its pages?

It’s the first book to tell the official story of Metal Slug. It starts by covering games such as In The Hunt and GunForce 2. Both developed by Irem. These two titles really are the birthplace of many ideas and graphical styles that would make it into Metal Slug. After the closure of Irem’s game division, many key developers set-up a new studio called Nazca, which was part funded by SNK. The book tells to story of this transition and the genesis of Metal Slug, through a huge history feature and also a series of extensive interviews with the original team members.

The Metal Slug story has been shrouded with mystery for years and this is the first time that many of the developers have spoken and now the truth is told. As well as the written features and interviews, the book also includes lots of concept art, key art and screenshots from the whole series of Metal Slug games. Being an official publication has meant unprecedented access to SNK’s archive of assets. Spread over 452 pages, the book is hardback, A4 in size and uses many special printing techniques for a high-quality and distinctive feel.

It’s available here.

Do you have any series you would love to cover in the future?

Absolutely! If the game series has enough content for a book then we would consider it. We’d like to do another SNK franchise in the future.

Sprint-Master-Bitmap-Books.jpg?resize=45

What are your future plans that you have for Bitmap Books and do you have any exciting books in the pipelines?

Always! The next visual compendium, due for release in early 2020 is on the Atari 2600/7800. We’ve worked directly with Atari to produce an official publication. After this, we have a very cool book on unreleased games due mid-2020. Plenty of others that we can’t reveal just yet.

Where is the best place for our readers to keep up to date with your latest books and projects?

We have a mailing list that can be signed-up to at www.bitmap.news. This is good for all our latest news. Also Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

turtles-in-time-bitmap-books.jpg?resize=

What advice would you give to anyone looking to publish their own books?

Be prepared for some seriously hard work! Be brave, stick to your guns and be confident.

Which are your personal favourite video games and consoles of all time?

It would be a toss up between the Commodore 64 and Commodore Amiga. The C64 would edge it, purely because of nostalgia and the impact it’s had on my life. However, the Amiga had some of my favourite games on and it’s the system I go back to most often.

Away from video game books, which other types of literature are you a fan of?

I’m a fan of science fiction and also enjoy reading a good autobiography. This could be a sportsperson, or musician, I’m not fussy as long as they’ve had an interesting life. I tend to listen to a lot of audio books as spend a lot of time commuting to work so it’s the ideal way to consume books.

Anthony and Adrian

Now go check out Anthony’s Official Neo-Geo thread on Atariage!

Anthony..

1 hour ago, fdurso224 said:

Hey NGCD. Good question. With my AES games that are loose. I personally keep them the way they are. I thought about buying soft boxs or snap cases for them, and was looking around for inserts as well. But i figured, I wanted a loose AES collection and didn't pursue purchasing them. So I have them as cartridges only and makes it easier access from me to just pick them up and play with them without worrying about marking or scratches since the majority are commons.  Now the others that are ranked higher in rarity, I just try my best to take care of them more and avoid dust and sunfades really.

Hope this helps answer your question bro.  ;-)

Anthony..

Oh well, I'll simply keep a part of my collection loose. Thx for your answer.

12 minutes ago, NGCD Maniac said:

Oh well, I'll simply keep a part of my collection loose. Thx for your answer.

You're welcome NGCD. Say if you happen to be looking for a soft box or snapcases for the loose Samurai Shodown II cart bro. how about this. It's only $37.55 with free shipping or $55.24 for the snapcase

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Es-Soft-Box-Case-for-Neo-Geo-Aes-New/362929828536?hash=item54804db2b8:g:f3UAAOSwh~pd-01n

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Es-Snap-Lock-Case-for-Neo-Geo-Aes-DoesnT-Brand-New/324018674585?hash=item4b71049b99:g:YDkAAOSwUG1d-5iq

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

14 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

You're welcome NGCD. Say if you happen to be looking for a soft box or snapcases for the loose Samurai Shodown II cart bro. how about this. It's only $37.55 with free shipping or $55.24 for the snapcase

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Es-Soft-Box-Case-for-Neo-Geo-Aes-New/362929828536?hash=item54804db2b8:g:f3UAAOSwh~pd-01n

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Es-Snap-Lock-Case-for-Neo-Geo-Aes-DoesnT-Brand-New/324018674585?hash=item4b71049b99:g:YDkAAOSwUG1d-5iq

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Anthony..

It look nice, but for that price I could just buy again a complete copy of SS2... It may worth it for really expensive and rare loose game. Thx!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Also Tanooki. James told me once that it's easier to contact him by email. Here's the address to his account to contact him.

Anthony...

jnxarcade@Gmail.com

They both got back to me.  JNX wasn't as helpful, suggested ebay and looking for a jack where the molding hopefully lined up.  Neo though, he has spares, said he'd get back to me in a couple days or so once he tracks them down.

On my end, spent the last hour fiddling with them using my soldering iron and flux.  I tried to just reheat, got some result, but not great.  I then solder sucked the pair and detached the damaged #2 too.  Ultimately reset some new solder on #1.  #2 since it was sheered off on the (if you're looking at the hole) rear left pin and the middle right too I bent what was there against the jack molding metal bit and put a solder blob on that, redid the other and the bottoms on that fresh too.  #1 now is mostly good, if all the way in to a click volume lowers but pulled out a hair (1-2mm) it's loud and clear.  #2 is still crap but functional crap as it has a microscopic sweet spot for both ears, otherwise depending how far in the L or R has full audio clear so it's just done.  Removing them and clearing for 2 replacements shouldn't take but a little time so it'll get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NGCD Maniac said:

It look nice, but for that price I could just buy again a complete copy of SS2... It may worth it for really expensive and rare loose game. Thx!

Gotcha NGCD. Glad you like them and will keep them in mind for the more expensive ones. But I agree. For Samural Shodown II, you can buy one complete again for the price.  ;-)

Anthony..

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

They both got back to me.  JNX wasn't as helpful, suggested ebay and looking for a jack where the molding hopefully lined up.  Neo though, he has spares, said he'd get back to me in a couple days or so once he tracks them down.

On my end, spent the last hour fiddling with them using my soldering iron and flux.  I tried to just reheat, got some result, but not great.  I then solder sucked the pair and detached the damaged #2 too.  Ultimately reset some new solder on #1.  #2 since it was sheered off on the (if you're looking at the hole) rear left pin and the middle right too I bent what was there against the jack molding metal bit and put a solder blob on that, redid the other and the bottoms on that fresh too.  #1 now is mostly good, if all the way in to a click volume lowers but pulled out a hair (1-2mm) it's loud and clear.  #2 is still crap but functional crap as it has a microscopic sweet spot for both ears, otherwise depending how far in the L or R has full audio clear so it's just done.  Removing them and clearing for 2 replacements shouldn't take but a little time so it'll get there.

Good to know that Neotropolis has spares. He does good work as well and helped me on many occasions with my units and games in the past. ..Sounds like you did good progress so far Tanooki. Maybe if you like to share some photos on your progress when you feel your ready or did the most you can.

Hmmm, you know what. I have another fella in mind by the name of Chris that goes by the name mobiusstriptech. He an Engineer and a pro on repairing, modding and re-engineering stuff . He another fella that help me with Neo-Geo products. If you like his link to his profile Tanooki. Here it is. 

https://atariage.com/forums/profile/62147-mobiusstriptech/

Anthony..

Hi, 

Question; what are you doing with loose AES games? I have a loose Samurai Showdown 2 and Im trying to find a shockbox and insert. All I can find are box and insert for MVS (Southtown), or expensive AES shockbox on the neostore.

Thx

I have cases for all my games but for my dupes I plan to make some cases using 3D printed parts and some DuraView 1" mini 3-ring binders.

I already had a couple from Amazon and Staples but I found a bunch at a local salvage store on Saturday and I bought them all. Back in 2017 I scaled down and printed out the Samurai Shodown II AES art from Neo Geo For Life. I cut the spine art separately and slipped it down the side but I recall having trouble with one of the binder designs due to rivets that I did not drill out. As a result I had to make a few more discrete cuts so it would fit and fill up the binder view window. It's a bit taller than a real AES case but if I can adapt a lot of art maybe we can start a second SouthTowne for these cheaper options. I was new to 3D printing back then and never got around to making the cartridge-holding insert but now that I have more cases to experiment with I just might finish it up.

Ironically, since I'm looking for a way around those cases/inserts, I have a huge 17" wide photo printer that can easily do the MVS Shockbox inserts and original AES inserts. :)

My MV-1 board has both pin headers for something like that as well as soldered-on headphone jacks. Similarly, is has a JAMMA header and soldered-on 15-pin controller ports.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Anthony..

I looked into those a few years ago and they were way too expensive even in bulk. :( You pretty much have to go with cheap $20-$40 games to get affordable cases. Well, my only snaplock case came from a broken Neo Geo X Mega Pack Volume 1 that I bought for cheap on eBay, so I guess that's not totally true. ;)

The thing is, SNK is still making replica snaplock cases for the special editions of the 2019 Samurai Shodown game. When I first heard this I sent an email asking if they could sell the cases as replacements but I never heard back from them. :(
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CZroe said:

You're right Emmett. Sadly it looks like the common games are the best way to purchase a box. Hopefully as the years past, the prices on these unofficial boxes will come down and can buy them for much less. 

Anthony..

Hi guys,

DLC Character IROHA will be released for SAMURAI SHODOWN (PlayStation®4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch TM) on May 13th, 2020 in NA region and on 14th in EU region after the update of each store. #SNK #SAMURAISHODOWN #SamSho Trailer https://youtu.be/Mq7m9POQ4dM

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【SAMURAI SHODOWN】 We have released the latest Ver. 1.80 patch. This patch includes bug fixes and general improvements to the game. *Switch 1.81 update also will be released today in NA and on 15th in EU, bringing it in line with 1.80 on other PFs. https://snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/samuraishodown/ss_patch_1.80_eng.pdf

#SNK

Anthony..