IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

I am a Neo Geo AES owner once again. I originally purchased (or I should say my Grandmother purchased for me) my first Neo Geo AES Gold System at the Babbages store in Garden State Plaza Mall in NJ on launch day. It was the summer of 1990 and I was 15 years old. Previously I would play all of these great games at the local Fun N' Games arcade in Willowbrook Mall in Wayne NJ. I particularly loved Magician Lord and Ninja Combat.

So when I got word that this was being released with games that WERE those arcade games and not just lesser ports of them of course I had to have it! My birthday was in June and my grandmother asked me what I wanted. I told her I would wait because something amazing was coming in August. She said OK.....but I never revealed the price of the thing of course. When I called Babbages that day and they said it was there we went down to pick it up.

There it was, behind the counter way high up. I walked up and said "I'll take that Neo Geo Gold System".....and um...Magician Lord and Ninja Combat! When they rung up the total my grandmother nearly collapsed. I thought that was that....but she busted out the credit card and purchased all of it for me! I could not believe it.

Anyhow, I played Ninja Combat at home for 45 minutes and beat the game. $200 down the drain there! Magician Lord proved to be a LOT more difficult. It was the same game as the arcade, but you couldn't just continue where you were as in the arcade by sticking a quarter in. If you died early, you were sent back to the beginning of the level. If you died on the mini boss before the big boss, you were sent back to the level's mid point. I got far, but at a certain point I just could not get past it. Then I had an idea.

I noticed the MVS cab in the arcade had a slot for a memory card. My Neo Geo Gold system came with a memory card. Could that work?

I took the card to the arcade and popped it in the slot. The arcade staff guy ran over and said "What are you doing to that machine?". I pointed to the slot and said "it's for memory cards". He looked confused.

Popped in a quarter and started the game and received the memory card load screen. YES! I continued on the level I was working on and dumped a few bucks in quarters to make it through. Beat the level, saved it, brought it home and was able to keep going now on the next level. That amazed me....still does to this day.

Years past and I am not sure what happened to that AES. I probably traded it like a dumb kid for a PS1 or something.

The story continues when in the late 90's I ended up with one again and amassed a pretty large collection. I purchased Metal Slug X and Shock Troopers 2 when they came out. $250 each IIRC. But, I had a bad breakup, sold my house, sold my collection, and moved on.

But now, what I thought would never happen again in my life has happened. Due to some very fortunate circumstances I now have an AES again. It is not a USA system like my last two as they are way out of my price range now, but a Japanese model. That's OK, any Neo Geo AES makes me happy! I opted for a multi-cart that takes microSD now. I would love some real games (and I may still pick some up) but I just don't have that kind of coin. Good enough now to at least PLAY the games on real hardware.

Attached are pictures of it as it stands. It came in the box with a bean style arcade stick (which I really like!). The box actually shows the bean stick coming with it, so this is a later model. The box serial and console serial match as well.

Welp, that is my Neo Geo story. Hope you enjoyed it ;)

IMG_20201001_155417.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, eightbit said:

I am a Neo Geo AES owner once again. I originally purchased (or I should say my Grandmother purchased for me) my first Neo Geo AES Gold System at the Babbages store in Garden State Plaza Mall in NJ on launch day. It was the summer of 1990 and I was 15 years old. Previously I would play all of these great games at the local Fun N' Games arcade in Willowbrook Mall in Wayne NJ. I particularly loved Magician Lord and Ninja Combat.

So when I got word that this was being released with games that WERE those arcade games and not just lesser ports of them of course I had to have it! My birthday was in June and my grandmother asked me what I wanted. I told her I would wait because something amazing was coming in August. She said OK.....but I never revealed the price of the thing of course. When I called Babbages that day and they said it was there we went down to pick it up.

There it was, behind the counter way high up. I walked up and said "I'll take that Neo Geo Gold System".....and um...Magician Lord and Ninja Combat! When they rung up the total my grandmother nearly collapsed. I thought that was that....but she busted out the credit card and purchased all of it for me! I could not believe it.

Anyhow, I played Ninja Combat at home for 45 minutes and beat the game. $200 down the drain there! Magician Lord proved to be a LOT more difficult. It was the same game as the arcade, but you couldn't just continue where you were as in the arcade by sticking a quarter in. If you died early, you were sent back to the beginning of the level. If you died on the mini boss before the big boss, you were sent back to the level's mid point. I got far, but at a certain point I just could not get past it. Then I had an idea.

I noticed the MVS cab in the arcade had a slot for a memory card. My Neo Geo Gold system came with a memory card. Could that work?

I took the card to the arcade and popped it in the slot. The arcade staff guy ran over and said "What are you doing to that machine?". I pointed to the slot and said "it's for memory cards". He looked confused.

Popped in a quarter and started the game and received the memory card load screen. YES! I continued on the level I was working on and dumped a few bucks in quarters to make it through. Beat the level, saved it, brought it home and was able to keep going now on the next level. That amazed me....still does to this day.

Years past and I am not sure what happened to that AES. I probably traded it like a dumb kid for a PS1 or something.

The story continues when in the late 90's I ended up with one again and amassed a pretty large collection. I purchased Metal Slug X and Shock Troopers 2 when they came out. $250 each IIRC. But, I had a bad breakup, sold my house, sold my collection, and moved on.

But now, what I thought would never happen again in my life has happened. Due to some very fortunate circumstances I now have an AES again. It is not a USA system like my last two as they are way out of my price range now, but a Japanese model. That's OK, any Neo Geo AES makes me happy! I opted for a multi-cart that takes microSD now. I would love some real games (and I may still pick some up) but I just don't have that kind of coin. Good enough now to at least PLAY the games on real hardware.

Attached are pictures of it as it stands. It came in the box with a bean style arcade stick (which I really like!). The box actually shows the bean stick coming with it, so this is a later model. The box serial and console serial match as well.

WOW! Just...WOW! :-o

Glad to see you being a Neo-Geo AES owner once again eightbit. What an amazing story. Your grandmother was very generous to buy you a Neo-Geo AES on launch date. That must've been a exciting experience. So you're an original that was there on day 1 for the Neo-Geo. That is absolutely amazing. I love to read stories like this. We also have another member by the name of ZAP! on Atariage that had one of his relatives purchased an AES as well, I'll ask him to come by and read this. He'll certainly be thrilled to see another 1990 owner like yourself. :) 

The current unit and box have matching serial numbers eightbit? Now that's awesome. I wish I could say the same with mine. 

I use to go to the Bergen and Passaic county areas all the time growing up bro. The Garden State Plaza Mall, Bergen County Mall, Paramus Park Mall was always fun to be at. I use to go to a large entertainment arcade center on Rte.17 called SportsWorld in Paramus, NJ as well  The Willowbrook Mall was fun and had an Arcade center there for years. I was introduced to Neo-Geo in Paramus on Rte. 4 when a Dairy Queen was located there. Since then, I was hooked onto Neo-Geo. :)

Great looking pic of you Neo-Geo AES and nice to see you have the Darksoft Multicart as well. Our member Steven Pendleton just recently acquired one and likes his cart as well. I also see you have the JapanGameOnline memory card. I also like that card and wanted to have it in the collection as well. Steve and other members here are looking into it as well as a alternative from the NeoSaveMasta version. 

Thank you so much for sharing your pic and your Neo-Geo story with us eightbit. This is the highlight of my day today and were so glad to see you as a Neo-Geo owners once again. Looking forward to see more from you and posting away with us soon bro. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【予約開始】『THE KING OF FIGHTERSシリーズ』より「描き下ろしイラスト ショッピングver. トレーディング缶バッジ」「描き下ろしイラスト ショッピングver. 集合 マグカップ」などの予約受付を開始しました!この機会にぜひご予約ください! https://amnibus.com/products/title/155,548

#KOF
Translated from Japanese by
[Reservation start] From "THE KING OF FIGHTERS series", we have started accepting reservations for "illustration shopping ver. Trading can badge" and "illustration shopping ver. Collective mug"! Please make a reservation at this opportunity! https://amnibus.com/products/title/155,548

#KOF

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

アウトドアにぴったりなDINEXのマグカップ2種は好評発売中! 丈夫で壊れにくく機能性に優れているので、普段使いにも

https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=DINEX&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=sns&utm_campaign=20200909_DINEX

#SNK #メタルスラッグ #MSA
Two types of DINEX mugs that are perfect for the outdoors are now on sale! It's durable, hard to break, and has excellent functionality, so it's perfect for everyday use.

https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=DINEX&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=sns&utm_campaign=20200909_DINEX

#SNK#メタルスラッグ#MSA

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Replying to
さらに!SNK監修のNEOGEOショックボックス風ケース やロムカセットミニフィギュアがセットになった商品(Classic Edition)も同時発売! こちらもなくなり次第終了となりますのでお見逃しなく! https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4580015704064.html

#SNK #ADK魂
further! A NEOGEO shock box-style case supervised by SNK and a set of ROM cassette minifigures (Classic Edition) will also be on sale at the same time! This will end as soon as it runs out, so don't miss it! https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4580015704064.html

#SNK#ADK魂

Anthony..

Hi guys,

北米版PS4ソフト「ADK Damashii」が数量限定で販売! 『ティンクルスタースプライツ』や『ニンジャコマンドー』『痛快GANGAN行進曲』などADKを代表する5タイトルを収録♪ ※準備数に達した場合には注文の受付を終了させていただきます。 https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4580015704118.html

#SNK #ADK魂
North American PS4 software "ADK Damashii" is on sale in limited quantities! Includes 5 titles representing ADK such as "Twinkle Star Sprites", "Ninja Commando", and "Aggressors of Dark Komp"♪ ※ When the number of preparations is reached, we will stop accepting orders. https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4580015704118.html

#SNK#ADK魂

Anthony..

Hi guys,

北米版PS4ソフト「Fu'un Super Combo」が数量限定で販売! ネオジオの名作格闘ゲーム『風雲黙示録』『風雲SUPER TAG BATTLE』の2タイトルが一つになって登場! ※準備数に達した場合には注文の受付を終了させていただきます。 https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4580015704101.html

#SNK
North American PS4 software "Fu'un Super Combo" is on sale in limited quantities! Two titles of Neo Geo's masterpiece fighting games "Fuun Apocalypse" and "Fuun SUPER TAG BATTLE" are now available! ※ When the number of preparations is reached, we will stop accepting orders. https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4580015704101.html

#SNK

Anthony..

6 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

WOW! Just...WOW! :-o

Glad to see you being a Neo-Geo AES owner once again eightbit. What an amazing story. Your grandmother was very generous to buy you a Neo-Geo AES on launch date. That must've been a exciting experience. So you're an original that was there on day 1 for the Neo-Geo. That is absolutely amazing. I love to read stories like this. We also have another member by the name of ZAP! on Atariage that had one of his relatives purchased an AES as well, I'll ask him to come by and read this. He'll certainly be thrilled to see another 1990 owner like yourself. :) 

The current unit and box have matching serial numbers eightbit? Now that's awesome. I wish I could say the same with mine. 

I use to go to the Bergen and Passaic county areas all the time growing up bro. The Garden State Plaza Mall, Bergen County Mall, Paramus Park Mall was always fun to be at. I use to go to a large entertainment arcade center on Rte.17 called SportsWorld in Paramus, NJ as well  The Willowbrook Mall was fun and had an Arcade center there for years. I was introduced to Neo-Geo in Paramus on Rte. 4 when a Dairy Queen was located there. Since then, I was hooked onto Neo-Geo. :)

Great looking pic of you Neo-Geo AES and nice to see you have the Darksoft Multicart as well. Our member Steven Pendleton just recently acquired one and likes his cart as well. I also see you have the JapanGameOnline memory card. I also like that card and wanted to have it in the collection as well. Steve and other members here are looking into it as well as a alternative from the NeoSaveMasta version. 

Thank you so much for sharing your pic and your Neo-Geo story with us eightbit. This is the highlight of my day today and were so glad to see you as a Neo-Geo owners once again. Looking forward to see more from you and posting away with us soon bro. :)

Anthony..

Yup, I kicked around the same areas as you. Been to Sportsworld hundreds of times. $10 to get in, get $10 worth of tokens ;) Been to all of those malls too. I still live about 1 minute from Willowbrook but haven't been there for maybe a year or so. But, I do hear them racing cars over there every other night with super loud music and some guy on a loudspeaker! I am not sure how old you are, but Willowbrook actually had two arcades at one point. There was also "The Purple Room" which was inside of the mall next to Sam Goody. Literally a dark purple room filled with arcade machines. It is my understanding that they were forced out after some time due to fights and the general fact that they didn't like all of the kids hanging around in the mall in that area antagonizing the shoppers as they walked by. Beyond that there was a Casey O' Tooles with the Pac Man and Ms Pac Man tables that people actually used to get served on.

I think the Darksoft cart is the best bang for the buck right now. Its $425. The NeoSD is $400, only has one game slot and it uses flash...and the flashing is sllloooow. I said to myself if flashing one game is going to take 4-5 minutes I am rarely going to use the thing. The darksoft cart on contrast has three slots and can flash three games at once. Even with three games the flashing takes like 15-30 seconds. It's using DDR memory so its pretty darn fast. I also like the fact that it has a region select. I do not have a UniBIOS in this Neo Geo (Pure stock, untouched) so it's cool that I can force games to English on a stock system.

The memory card is awesome. Not only does it have two banks with a teensy switch to select between them but it also has two different color LEDs (green and blue) to let you know what bank you are on. For me, its to let me know the Neo Geo is on (since it is completely stock...no power light as you know). It works perfectly. I already have a lot of saves on there! I caught one post from someone on Reddit who said it would not format on his late model Neo Geo so I was initially concerned when I made the purchase...since mine is a very late model PRO-POW3. But, all the worry was for nothing. It worked right away.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, eightbit said:

IMG_20201001_155417.jpg

Very cool and interesting story.  Thanks for sharing and hope you continue having lots of fun on it.  Also, I see an Atari 5200 is parked next to it.  Another fine machine in my opinion.  Take care and happy gaming!

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Here's the latest news from NGDEVTEAM.

Newsletter:
[NGDEV] Gunlord X USA Shipping Open Again / Kraut Buster AES Shipping
Dear customers,
here is the latest shipping status.
Topics:
Switch: Gunlord X
NEOGEO AES: Kraut Buster etc.
-------------------------
Switch: Gunlord X
As our badly outdated shop massively oversold Gunlord X for Switch we were forced to reprint both the regular and LE of Gunlord X to fulfill the sold amounts.
The shop system did not count orders made in non EURO payments due to a bug.
It's also the reason a lot of people did not receive an order confirmation email. This affected both the LE,RE and old DC games.
We also lost more than 150 LE units due to an incident with a toppled storage shelf and other quality assurance issues.
The 500 unit regular edition reprint is identically.
The 500 unit LE reprint for the USA has a small difference, the serial number is printed on the box instead on a silver label. Printing the serial on the box is what we will use for future LEs too as we had too many issues with the labels.
We will try to give as much people as possible the 1st LE print. For resellers that ordered more than one LE, we ship one 1st print LE and the rest 2nd print LEs.
For the next Switch release in 2021 we will switch to a new shop system to prevent this from happening again.
For popular genres we also just directly print 1500 LE which seems to be an unofficial LE release standard. For shmups we will go with 1000 LE units.
We expect shipping to start 14. October. Shipping through all items will take about 4 weeks.
As Deutsche Post ships the items by seafreight instead of airmail very slow transfer times are expected.
According to Deutsche Post the USA transfer times are 4 weeks for the eastcoast and 6 weeks for the westcoast.
For bigger orders DHL Premium Airmail shipping is available at extra cost 52,99 EUR (minus shipping costs you already paid) (per 5KG).
Australia is still closed at Deutsche Post for Warenpost. DHL Premium Airmail is 67,99 EUR. We will look into shipping with UPS/Fedex after we shipped everything to the USA.
After shipping the pre orders we will sell the remaining stock around the XMAS season. We will send out another newsletter then.
-------------------------
NEOGEO AES: Kraut Buster
The last 50 open KB AES CE orders:
We ship in order of purchase and sorted by world region US->Asia->EU.
Shipping to the USA will be very slow. See above at Gunlord X. DHL Premium Airmail shipping is available at extra cost +35 EUR per cartridge.
Shipping starts next week. The overall processing will take 1-2 weeks.
Kraut Buster RE 1st/2nd print Fast Striker:
After Gunlord X was shipped to the USA we start shipping Kraut Buster RE 1st print in batches.
Building and shipping AES orders (KB+FS) will take the whole next year.
In the future we will outsource production and maybe even sales of AES carts to an EU based company as we can't handle its ourselves anymore due to personal reasons and want to focus on game development only.
We are still looking for a well suited business partner that can handle building and packaging the cartridges.
Best regards,
NGDEV

Anthony...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dolemite14 said:

Here's my latest Neo Geo Love video.

Another awesome Neo Geo Love video by you Glynn. I do have to say that World Heroes 2 Marquee really looks amazing. I would love to have that in the collection and had no idea is existed until today by you. 

Thank you for sharing this Glynn. Awesome as usual bro. 8^)

Anthony..

13 hours ago, eightbit said:

Yup, I kicked around the same areas as you. Been to Sportsworld hundreds of times. $10 to get in, get $10 worth of tokens ;) Been to all of those malls too. I still live about 1 minute from Willowbrook but haven't been there for maybe a year or so. But, I do hear them racing cars over there every other night with super loud music and some guy on a loudspeaker! I am not sure how old you are, but Willowbrook actually had two arcades at one point. There was also "The Purple Room" which was inside of the mall next to Sam Goody. Literally a dark purple room filled with arcade machines. It is my understanding that they were forced out after some time due to fights and the general fact that they didn't like all of the kids hanging around in the mall in that area antagonizing the shoppers as they walked by. Beyond that there was a Casey O' Tooles with the Pac Man and Ms Pac Man tables that people actually used to get served on.

I think the Darksoft cart is the best bang for the buck right now. Its $425. The NeoSD is $400, only has one game slot and it uses flash...and the flashing is sllloooow. I said to myself if flashing one game is going to take 4-5 minutes I am rarely going to use the thing. The darksoft cart on contrast has three slots and can flash three games at once. Even with three games the flashing takes like 15-30 seconds. It's using DDR memory so its pretty darn fast. I also like the fact that it has a region select. I do not have a UniBIOS in this Neo Geo (Pure stock, untouched) so it's cool that I can force games to English on a stock system.

The memory card is awesome. Not only does it have two banks with a teensy switch to select between them but it also has two different color LEDs (green and blue) to let you know what bank you are on. For me, its to let me know the Neo Geo is on (since it is completely stock...no power light as you know). It works perfectly. I already have a lot of saves on there! I caught one post from someone on Reddit who said it would not format on his late model Neo Geo so I was initially concerned when I made the purchase...since mine is a very late model PRO-POW3. But, all the worry was for nothing. It worked right away.

Awesome eightbit. Glad to see that you done the same like I did growing up. I haven't been to the Willowbrook Mall in a while, but meaning to go back when things calm down with the virus. I use to play Pokemon Trading Card Game there when the Wizards of the Coast store was located in the mall. I don't recall The Purple Room, but I'll bet that it was fun to be there at the time. 

That's really cool that your close by to it. I go to Cedar Grove down the way to a place called Time Warp Comics & Games for Pokemon tournaments. 

Yeah, many say that the Darksoft multicart is the way to go. I'm leaning towards that. But not 100% sure. However, it's good to listen in on what everybody thinks of there carts before paying the money. As for the memory card, I agree. I finally went ahead and purchase one. I think it's worth it for sure. 8^)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Crazy that you are so close to me. I have been going to Time Warp for years. I used to manage the Cinema 23 Fiveplex right up the road from there...across from the Pilgrim Diner. Both no longer exist of course. I guess we were all loving arcades and Neo Geo in this area ;)

As for the Darksoft cart...well worth it. The build quality is outstanding, flashing games is much faster than the competition, the price is right (or at least much better than anything else for the features), and it works perfectly. I have been playing the Sengoku series on it as of recent. I love those games!

I found out early in the quest for an sd multicart that I had these options:

1. NeoSD - One game slot, takes minutes to program one game at a time (sometimes 5 minutes!) - currently $399 (Stone Age Gamer)

2. Darksoft SD Multicart - Three game slots, takes 15-30 seconds to program - currently $425 (Highscoresave)

3. NeoSD Pro - Four (or maybe five, cant recall) game slots and a ram slot. Game slots still take many minutes to program but the one included ram slot is very fast - currently $625 on SAG...out of stock ATM

So those were the options. One cart that programs one game slow as hell....one at a time. The Darksoft cart that programs three at once in well under a minute, and then a super expensive option that is not even in stock at the moment that can slow program multiple games but fast load one game.

The Darksoft cart won for me by a mile in price, performance and availability. For me the speed of getting the games to come up was really the most important thing. It appears the TerraOnion devices are both writing the flash ram, while the Darksoft is using DDR memory. I work in the flash field (a major manufacturer of flash devices) so I know the finite life of flash. I do not know the internals, but I suspect the DDR solution is going to last a lot longer than the flash based solutions if I were to make an educated guess. If anyone has found other (better) options please chime in.

Edited by eightbit

36 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Crazy that you are so close to me. I have been going to Time Warp for years. I used to manage the Cinema 23 Fiveplex right up the road from there...across from the Pilgrim Diner. Both no longer exist of course. I guess we were all loving arcades and Neo Geo in this area ;)

As for the Darksoft cart...well worth it. The build quality is outstanding, flashing games is much faster than the competition, the price is right (or at least much better than anything else for the features), and it works perfectly. I have been playing the Sengoku series on it as of recent. I love those games!

I found out early in the quest for an sd multicart that I had these options:

1. NeoSD - One game slot, takes minutes to program - currently $399 (Stone Age Gamer)

2. Darksoft SD Multicart - Three game slots, takes 15-30 seconds to program - currently $425 (Highscoresave)

3. NeoSD Pro - Four (or maybe five, cant recall) game slots and a ram slot. Game slots still take minutes to program, ram slot is very fast - currently $625 on SAG...out of stock ATM

So those were the options. One cart that programs one game slow as hell....one at a time. The Darksoft cart that programs three at once in well under a minute, and then a super expensive option that is not even in stock at the moment that can slow program multiple games but fast load one game.

The Darksoft cart won for me by a mile in both price and performance and availability. If anyone has found other (better) options please chime in.

Yeah, the original NeoSD is basically obsolete because of the Darksoft cart. Better to just pay the extra $26 and get the Darksoft cart.

I have been having visual glitching issues in multiple games with mine, though, and the DIPs don't seem to actually work at all in MVS mode. I will be curious to see if you have similar issues.

10 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, the original NeoSD is basically obsolete because of the Darksoft cart. Better to just pay the extra $26 and get the Darksoft cart.

I have been having visual glitching issues in multiple games with mine, though, and the DIPs don't seem to actually work at all in MVS mode. I will be curious to see if you have similar issues.

Not me. I did notice the sound dropping out after a fresh program and reboot, but that is solved with simply cycle powering the Neo Geo. And that only happens very randomly (I have only had it happen twice). I reported it in the official forum thread of the unit and Darksoft is quick to respond:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/8450-darksoft-s-multiaes-latest-firmware-menu-and-instructions/&postID=244111#post244114

I would suggest getting on the latest firmware if you have not done so already.

I realize any of these types of device are bound to have a glitch or two, but for what its worth the darksoft cart has been pretty rock solid other than the very random loss of audio...that is always corrected with a power cycle in my experience.

As for DIPS, I would not know. My Neo geo is not modified and does not have a UniBIOS. It is stock, with a stock Japanese AES BIOS.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Not me. I did notice the sound dropping out after a fresh program and reboot, but that is solved with simply cycle powering the Neo Geo. And that only happens very randomly (I have only had it happen twice). I reported it in the official forum thread of the unit and Darksoft is quick to respond:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/8450-darksoft-s-multiaes-latest-firmware-menu-and-instructions/&postID=244111#post244114

I would suggest getting on the latest firmware if you have not done so already.

I have the latest firmware. I'm not sure what's up with it, but I haven't tried using any other firmware yet.

This

40002-20200826-041933-jpg

is from someone else over on that forum, but I've had the same thing happen several times, and I even returned a cart because I thought it was broken since there was something loose inside the cart. Need to do more testing.

It also seems that Darksoft is looking at discontinuing the AES cart, so if anyone wants it, don't wait to get it or you might not be able to.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Never have I had that happen. What the heck is that? Are you sure you or that person did not accidentally flash the MVS firmware onto the AES cart? That is really strange!

Where did you buy the cart from? Did this happen immediately or after time? Did you contact the dealer?

What do you mean that the last cart had something "loose" inside? Like something rattling around?

If you are having such a serious problem like this with the cart instead of "doing more testing" why aren't you simply contacting Darksoft? In my experience he is quick to respond and more than willing to help.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Never have I had that happen. What the heck is that? Are you sure you or that person did not accidentally flash the MVS firmware onto the AES cart? That is really strange!

Where did you buy the cart from? Did this happen immediately or after time? Did you contact the dealer?

Yeah, this is my second Darksoft cart from High Score Saves. The first had problems immediately the very first time I launched a game. The second took a few hours for me to notice it, but that's because I tried different games. This exact menu glitch happens very rarely, though.

High Score Saves said he's never seen this before. I returned the first one to him, but both of them have had this problem... and many others, like no sound in NAM-1975 after changing to it from a different game, Shock Troopers only ever being in Japanese (although I prefer Japanese anyway), the console's region changing back to Japanese after hitting reset every time, DIP switches never working, and lots of random video artifacts in pretty much every game, although some are worse than others. Garou Densetsu/Fatal Fury is particularly bad in my case.

It's definitely the proper AES firmware, though, and I checked it like 6 times to be sure. Not sure what's up with it. Eventually I'll get over there and talk to Darksoft directly, but I've been lazy~

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, this is my second Darksoft cart from High Score Saves. The first had problems immediately the very first time I launched a game. The second took a few hours for me to notice it, but that's because I tried different games. This exact menu glitch happens very rarely, though.

High Score Saves said he's never seen this before. I returned the first one to him, but both of them have had this problem... and many others, like no sound in NAM-1975 after changing to it from a different game, Shock Troopers only ever being in Japanese (although I prefer Japanese anyway), the console's region changing back to Japanese after hitting reset every time, DIP switches never working, and lots of random video artifacts in pretty much every game, although some are worse than others. Garou Densetsu/Fatal Fury is particularly bad in my case.

It's definitely the proper AES firmware, though, and I checked it like 6 times to be sure. Not sure what's up with it. Eventually I'll get over there and talk to Darksoft directly, but I've been lazy~

Maybe its not the cart at all. Maybe it's your console. I hate to say that or wish than on anyone, but your issues seem unique enough that it might not be the cart.

• Like 2

Just now, eightbit said:

Maybe its not the cart at all. Maybe it's your console. I hate to say that or wish than on anyone, but your issues seem unique enough that it might not be the cart.

I thought the same thing, but there's another person having similar issues over in the troubleshooting thread, so I was thinking that maybe it's not just my Neo Geo.

• Like 1