IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

Replying to
Just for you Durso, I had to unpack two of my three home cart systems man. One of them is the rare PAL version with s-video mod, guess that's one of my holy grail consoles in the collection, good conditions too

Anthony..

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bod2019 said:

Hi all, been following the thread for a while, and a big fan of Neo Geo for a long time.

AES was completely unobtainable for me as a child, so Sega Mega Drive it was.  I would look at the adverts in my gaming magazines, only to be reminded of the massive costs.

I only ever really got to see Neo Geo via TV shows such as GamesMaster in the UK.

Fast forward, I've finally picked up an MVS board, and plenty of other supplies as I've decided - at this point questionably - to build myself a US style MVS red cabinet - MVS one slot, with CRT and all.

It's a new project for me, something I've not really done before.  Anyway here are some pics, not much as yet, but hopefully will take shape over the next few weeks.

Did you find the original dimensions online of the cabinet?  I hope you're going to scale.  If you are, you could actually build something that's damn near identical to an original.  Joe Szabo online sells full on vinyl wrap/SNK art kits for MVS cabinets so you can get those wraps for your cabinet and have it look as good as original as people who have real cabs in bad shape restoring the use his 1:1 quality stuff.  He also has control panel overlays and more.  Depending how far you take it, you could make a mostly authentic MVS 1 slot cabinet other than the age of the wood structure not being decades old.

• Like 1

So I want to try a new PSU for my Neo Geo to see if it fixes my problems with the Darksoft cart (I really hope it does!). I did read FBX's PSU guide (http://www.firebrandx.com/aespsuguide.html) but I'm still kind of lost and wondering about a generic PSU that I already have. My Neo Geo is a 9V and it came with a NEO-POW3. This generic one is actually the one I bought for my SuperGrafx, and I use it on my SuperGrafx with a little converter thingy. Remove the converter and it fits in the Neo Geo just fine. I'll just list the specs for this generic one here:

input AC 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.5A

output DC 9.0V 1000mA 9W

center negative

Actually, here's the one it is from the manufacturer's website:

http://www.acadapter.jp/?pid=141707122

I think it should be fine, but because I don't know what I'm doing, I'd rather ask just in case. Any advice would be great. Don't want to blow up my Neo Geo!

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Okay, well, I read it like 5 more times. It looks like this PSU matches exactly what I need, so although I am aware that I am about to do something incredibly stupid, I am going to try it. Please don't explode...

Well, it did not explode. It also did not fix my problems with the Darksoft cart. What the hell. Maybe it is my Neo Geo after all. Maybe the cart takes more power than what this PSU offers. Who knows? Frustrating as hell, either way.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Joe reviewed the NeoSD Pro. "There's also a USB port here, which is probably used for development purposes, but I like to plug it in and pretend to charge it." lol

Great review on the NeoSD Pro by Joe. I do have to agree that it's a lot of money, but he does have a point that your playing it on original hardware and does it's job playing the Neo-Geo games well. I always wondered how much does it cost Terraonion to make this carts altogether Steve. 

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【MSA お知らせ】 本日より10月25日まで新イベント「HALLOWEEN FOREST」を開催中! ステージをクリアして「クイーンエスカルゴ」をゲット! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201018_01e2zu7.html

Translated from Japanese by
[MSA Notice] A new event "HALLOWEEN FOREST" is being held from today to October 25th! Clear the stage and get "Queen Escargot"! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201018_01e2zu7.html

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【MSA 更新情報】 新規ユニット「サイレントソルジャー・レオナ」を追加しました! 10月25日まで開放されるステップアップクランクから獲得できます! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201017_03eii50.html

[MSA update information] A new unit "Silent Soldier Leona" has been added! You can get it from the step-up crank that will be open until October 25th! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201017_03eii50.html

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【MSA 更新情報】 メダルクランクを更新しました! 「ハロウィンニキータ」「ハロウィンシモン」「ハロウィンアルマ」が出現しやすくなるピックアップを実施中です! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201017_02rdu41.html

[MSA update information] The medal crank has been updated! We are picking up "Halloween Nikita", "Halloween Simon", and "Halloween Alma" to make them easier to appear! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201017_02rdu41.html

Anthony...

Hi guys,

【MSA 更新情報】 新規ユニット「ハロウィンヴィクトリア」を追加しました! 10月25日まで先行獲得を実施中です! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201017_01xq8w1.html

[MSA update information] A new unit "Halloween Victoria" has been added! Advance acquisition is in progress until October 25th! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201017_01xq8w1.html

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

KADOKAWA コミックヒューにて『THE KING OF FANTASY 八神庵の異世界無双 月を見るたび思い出せ!』(原作:天河信彦先生)13話目更新です。 よろしくお願いいたします! https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_MF09000003010000_68/

http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/comic/44750

二巻発売中です http://amazon.co.jp/dp/4040659708/

At KADOKAWA Comic Hugh, "THE KING OF FANTASY Yagami-an's Different World Musou Moon, Remember Every Time! (Original: Professor Nobuhiko Amakawa) The 13th episode has been updated. Thank you! https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_MF09000003010000_68/

http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/comic/44750

Two volumes are on sale http://amazon.co.jp/dp/4040659708/

Anthony..

14 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi Bod,

WOW! Just WOW! :-o Making your own U.S. Style "Big Red" Neo-Geo MVS?! That's fantastic Bod.

You certainly are skillful to make one bro. I mean, to have the drive and dedication to make one for yourself is admirable. I personally don't have the power tools. measuring kits, or even the room to do a project like this for myself. In fact, I use to try to find the blueprints for these units and use to come off the internet empty handed. So seeing this from you is really exciting to say the lease. Thank you for sharing this with us. We can't wait to see the end results for your project. We know it will be a job well done. :)

Do you happen to do YouTube videos as well? Maybe others in the Neo-Geo community off YouTube would be interested to see your progress and inspire them to make a unit like what you have plans to finish. 

Also Bod, thank you for posting onto the Neo-Geo thread and welcome aboard with us. Please enjoy your stay and have fun browsing around the many pages we accumulated. I usually start off with a warm welcoming introduction. I had to reply to your recent activity first due to amazement. :)

Were looking forward on seeing you posting away with us Bod. If you also have any questions that you like to ask, feel free to do so, will be glad to answer your inquiries as best as we could kind sir. :)

Anthony...

Thank you for the kind words.

Means a lot, I've already spent many hours just to get to this point, whether researching, planning, drawing, cutting wood etc..,. So that helps inspire me on.

Your certainly right about a lack of plans on the web.  I to tried to find some plans for the build and came up with nothing. So I gathered as many dimensions as I could from around the web and came up with the plan I drew, I didn't have CAD available so it was drawn by hand.

I don't have any great experience in anything like this either, just a strong desire to build it, and I like problem solving, though that may quickly change ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lutechsource said:
13 hours ago, lutechsource said:

This is awesome! Please keep us updated on your project. It would be great to see the progress you make at different points. I agree with Anthony about doing Youtube. Seeing videos on what you create would be great. Anyway, good luck, can't wait to see the next update!

Many thanks.

I'll do my best to keep posting as and when things progress.  I'll have a think about the YouTube thing.

I certainly could see merit in this as it would of helped me a lot if this was a little more available.  If I could do anything it'll have to follow the completion really, so long as I grab some video along the way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Did you find the original dimensions online of the cabinet?  I hope you're going to scale.  If you are, you could actually build something that's damn near identical to an original.  Joe Szabo online sells full on vinyl wrap/SNK art kits for MVS cabinets so you can get those wraps for your cabinet and have it look as good as original as people who have real cabs in bad shape restoring the use his 1:1 quality stuff.  He also has control panel overlays and more.  Depending how far you take it, you could make a mostly authentic MVS 1 slot cabinet other than the age of the wood structure not being decades old.

Only overall dimensions.  There was really very little information on the web.

I've managed to draw the plan you see from trial and error, people's measures from real units, but only overall height/width/depth.  I've then overlayed my plans with real cabinets to get as close as I can.

This will be as close as I can to a full scale cab.

Thanks for the contact for artwork.  I've already gone with Olly of Arcade Artshop, he's UK based and has a true repro of MVS control panel overlay, plus the one slot marquee and miniarquees.  I've gone for the full side wraps, red with white logos and front with player arrows.  Trying to be as close to authentic as I am able to achieve with my own skills ?

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 8:39 PM, fdurso224 said:

Hey Serguei,

Yes, that's correct. By small groups and indie developers. SNK officially stop making titles officially for the Neo-Geo MVS & AES in 2004. The last game was Samurai Shodown V Special.

Feel free to ask anymore questions you like Serguei. Will be glad to do our best to answer them for you. :)

Anthony...

For a $600 system with $300 per game, Neo Geo stands longer than Atari Jaguar, Amiga CD-32 and 3DO.

Most Neo-Geo games must be in high quality.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 12:58 AM, TheBeatMeetsMan said:

Hey it's WRCN, thank you for posting here Durso, I appreciate it very much, been collecting Neo - Geo for a long time now, and hopefully, it grows bigger one day. Some other Samurai Shodown and The King of Fighter games are safe and secured in the closed with bubble wrap, so in case something happens, they don't get damaged. You have to do what you have to do when kids come to visit you

Again, thank you very much for posting, and damn man, people here have a lot of great collection. Keep going guys ?☺️

WRCN

This is a great collection of games here!
Some rare titles, I can only dream to play such games on their native system. 

Thanks for the share!

These are the games that need to be preserved in history! :) 

Would love to see a gameplay footage ❤️

Edited by isolated_gamerz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bod2019 said:

Many thanks.

I'll do my best to keep posting as and when things progress.  I'll have a think about the YouTube thing.

I certainly could see merit in this as it would of helped me a lot if this was a little more available.  If I could do anything it'll have to follow the completion really, so long as I grab some video along the way.

Thank you Bod.  So many on here are amazed on what you have accomplished so far. The research alone with the measurements that you shared in the pics help justify the work you done, and can help dozens of others that are motivated to do the same amount of work you had completed so far. Well done bro. his made our day. :thumbsup: :).

As for as a YouTube video of it, we would love to see one. Or a slideshow of the pics on YouTube would be just as cool as well. :)

Anthony...

6 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

For a $600 system with $300 per game, Neo Geo stands longer than Atari Jaguar, Amiga CD-32 and 3DO.

Most Neo-Geo games must be in high quality.

Right as usual Serguei. Expensive, but worth the price on such a quality unit with top notch games. Are you thinking of buying a Neo-Geo AES or a consolized MVS unit in the future?

Anthony..

6 hours ago, isolated_gamerz said:

This is a great collection of games here!
Some rare titles, I can only dream to play such games on their native system. 

Thanks for the share!

These are the games that need to be preserved in history! :) 

Would love to see a gameplay footage ❤️

So true Sir Lais. WRCN has plenty of great titles that he shared in the link. Always a pleasure to see you on with us bro. Thank you for stopping by to see them. :)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

GS-017: ART OF FIGHTING 3: THE PATH OF THE WARRIOR comes to CD & vinyl in early 2021. We're also working w/ & to release the ART OF FIGHTING ANTHOLOGY Box Set that stores all 3 AOF OSTs inside one gorgeous package. Info: http://bravewave.net/genseries/017

Anthony...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Right as usual Serguei. Expensive, but worth the price on such a quality unit with top notch games. Are you thinking of buying a Neo-Geo AES or a consolized MVS unit in the future?

Anthony..

Maybe if they release a neo geo mini console likes nes mini.

Not with a mini arcade cabinet called 'neo geo mini' I found in the internet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

Maybe if they release a neo geo mini console likes nes mini.

Not with a mini arcade cabinet called 'neo geo mini' I found in the internet.

I would love that to be a reality from SNK someday Serguei. If that day happens, SNK can take my money right now. :)

Anthony..

On 10/18/2020 at 6:07 PM, Bod2019 said:

Hi all, been following the thread for a while, and a big fan of Neo Geo for a long time.

AES was completely unobtainable for me as a child, so Sega Mega Drive it was.  I would look at the adverts in my gaming magazines, only to be reminded of the massive costs.

I only ever really got to see Neo Geo via TV shows such as GamesMaster in the UK.

Fast forward, I've finally picked up an MVS board, and plenty of other supplies as I've decided - at this point questionably - to build myself a US style MVS red cabinet - MVS one slot, with CRT and all.

It's a new project for me, something I've not really done before.  Anyway here are some pics, not much as yet, but hopefully will take shape over the next few weeks.

IMG_20201005_132517.jpg

IMG_20201011_172022.jpg

IMG_20201013_134305.jpg

IMG_20201013_182455.jpg

IMG_20201014_172417.jpg

IMG_20201018_124527.jpg

This is amazing! Such an iconic style of cabinet on this side of the pond! Please upload more of these pics as you advance on your project! 

Cheers

• Like 2