IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

On 1/3/2021 at 12:59 AM, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

More nice pics of those Austinian MVS units from their owners.

MVS joystick type in my 4 slot red cab?

Neo geo 4 slot lai lowboy - Aussie Arcade

image.jpeg.b72f5df1229892fd6e0285a833a81ac1.jpeg

Anthony..

We had dedicated neo geo cabs made by electrocoin (4 and 6 slits mainly) and lordsvale in the UK. My cab is an unusual 'playvision' varient (the one showing waku 7)

unnamed (3).png

DbkjmunX4AEFoL7.jpg

download (2).jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fdurso224 said:

Dear AtariAge members and guest,

The Official NEO-GEO Thread on Atariage.com has just reached 1,000,000 views and continues to grow for the community to benefit and enjoy. It's been amazing 6+ years in which this thread help introduced Neo-Geo to the Atariage.com forums at a time when the Neo-Geo consoles and it's library of titles was hardly ever discussed or even mention compared to other popular units and companies that continuously are mentioned throughout the site.

As a dedicated and long time buff of the Neo-Geo and SNK, I wanted to start a thread for it in order to interest and help contribute for others to participate. It wasn't going to be a simple task since the Neo-Geo is a niche market to begin with, while the vast majority on here don't posses the consoles or the games. So it was going to be an uphill challenge to try to make this successful. 

But thankfully, it worked. We as a gaming group were able to make this successful on the AtariAge forums for all to come by, see, and post away with us to discuss and view our Neo-Geo and SNK related material that we have to offer. It's been an amazing ride and wish to thank you all for making it possible. Without your help, The Official NEO-GEO Thread wouldn't have made it to where it is today. 

I also like to give a special thanks to Albert Yarusso, the administrator of AtariAge.com for allowing me to create the Neo-Geo thread and his continued support for what it offers to help this gaming forum and the thread to expand in areas that we thought wasn't imaginable.  Thank you Albert. If it wasn't for you to give me permission to let this thread grow, we wouldn't be where we are today.

As always fellas. Keep up the great work, and always looking forward on seeing you on with us doing what you do  best. Let's continue onward, and wishing you all the greatest and thank once anew on making The Official NEO-GEO Thread a success.

Sincerely,

fdurso224 

(Anthony) 

NEO-GEO Celebration (SNK 40th Anniversary) by Elk810 on DeviantArt

Top 10 Gaming Console Failures | REALITYPOD

Neo Geo AES: For the gamer who has everything... | Retro Domination

Anthony..

Incredible achievement Anthony the forum grows from strength to strength thanks to your dedication and commitment in pulling the material together 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2014 at 3:44 AM, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

Here you can post all your Neo-Geo stuff from news to release dates on anything related on Neo-Geo.. Enjoy!

Anthony...

I dunno...A Neo Geo forum on AtariAge?   I guess that'd be pretty cool.

PSYCHE!

1 Million views??   DAMN!!!

I just thought I'd quote post # 1 that started it all.

Great Work Anthony!

Keep it going!

Cheers!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Thank you Ryan. Neo-Geo has been there for me even during the times when I hit rock bottom. :(

Since I was given a second chance in life with a bone marrow transplant, I wanted to contribute back to mankind since society has done plenty for me. I figured I'll start on my passion for Neo-Geo. ;-)

Anthony..

You are most welcome and I am very much appreciative of all that you are doing here on the thread to share your love and passion for Neo Geo.  Keep up the great and excellent work!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

The Official NEO-GEO Thread on Atariage.com has just reached 1,000,000 views and continues to grow for the community to benefit and enjoy. It's been amazing 6+ years in which this thread help introduced Neo-Geo to the Atariage.com forums at a time when the Neo-Geo consoles and it's library of titles was hardly ever discussed or even mention compared to other popular units and companies that continuously are mentioned throughout the site.

As a dedicated and long time buff of the Neo-Geo and SNK, I wanted to start a thread for it in order to interest and help contribute for others to participate. It wasn't going to be a simple task since the Neo-Geo is a niche market to begin with, while the vast majority on here don't posses the consoles or the games. So it was going to be an uphill challenge to try to make this successful. 

But thankfully, it worked. We as a gaming group were able to make this successful on the AtariAge forums for all to come by, see, and post away with us to discuss and view our Neo-Geo and SNK related material that we have to offer. It's been an amazing ride and wish to thank you all for making it possible. Without your help, The Official NEO-GEO Thread wouldn't have made it to where it is today. 

I also like to give a special thanks to Albert Yarusso, the administrator of AtariAge.com for allowing me to create the Neo-Geo thread and his continued support for what it offers to help this gaming forum and the thread to expand in areas that we thought wasn't imaginable.  Thank you Albert. If it wasn't for you to give me permission to let this thread grow, we wouldn't be where we are today.

As always fellas. Keep up the great work, and always looking forward on seeing you on with us doing what you do  best. Let's continue onward, and wishing you all the greatest and thank once anew on making The Official NEO-GEO Thread a success.

Sincerely,

fdurso224 

(Anthony) 

NEO-GEO Celebration (SNK 40th Anniversary) by Elk810 on DeviantArt

Top 10 Gaming Console Failures | REALITYPOD

Neo Geo AES: For the gamer who has everything... | Retro Domination

Anthony..

here's to 1 million views, hopefully 10,000,000 by the end of the decade :). 

• Like 1

Congrats on the 1,000,000+ views Anthony!
Although unsurprising given the passion that you and many others put into this thread for so long.
I'm hoping this will be the year i can get my hands on official Neo Geo gear, in the meantime you can count on me to spread the Neo Geo "word"
to the uninitiated or those who know about the great games (but like me) dont have the OG system to play them.
Here is hoping that you and Neo Geo goodness stays around for many more years to come, and lets go for that 10,000,000+ now! :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mx5dob said:

14 hours ago, aduffy1976 said:

14 hours ago, Bod2019 said:

13 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

11 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

10 hours ago, NeoPancho said:

7 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

7 hours ago, INTVCruise said:

7 hours ago, Htaed7 said:

7 hours ago, snkammar said:

6 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

Hi Paul, Chris, Mark, Johnny, Ammar, Noel, Seguei, Pancho, Ryan, Allan, John.

Thank you for such for the replies and a special thank you for all that you help contribute. Always a pleasure to see you fellas on and posting away here on the Neo-Geo thread and though out Atariage. Keep up the great work guys.  ;-)

Anthony...

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Guide: Every ACA Neo Geo Game On Nintendo Switch, Plus Our Top Picks

A complete list of Hamster's ACA Neo Geo Switch titles

Best ACA NEOGEO Games

Much like Hamster's Arcade Archives series, the company's line of Neo Geo titles - which goes by the bespoke title 'ACA NEOGEO' to separate it from the rest - has been a regular fixture of the weekly Nintendo Switch eShop download lists. With over a hundred releases under the ACA banner, Hamster has done sterling work getting these games on Switch and into the hands of fans who may never have experienced them before.

SNK's Neo Geo was a beautiful system that fused arcade and home console hardware, but at a cost. The significant financial outlay require for Neo Geo ownership meant it was out of reach of the average gamer back in the day. Fortunately, the games below will cost you a fraction of what they originally sold for and come with a multitude of presentation options to tailor the experience to your liking on Switch.

Below we've listed every ACA Neo Geo release available on Switch eShop to date and it will be updated as new titles are released. The games are displayed in alphabetical order, although you can go to our games database and sort by Release Date or User Rating.

Please note that the Arcade Archive releases are NOT included here - check out our separate guide for Arcade Archive games on Switch for more info on Hamster's non-Neo Geo Switch gems. And if this huge list is overwhelming, you'll find our picks of the best ACA Neo Geo games on Switch at the bottom. No prizes for guessing it contains a lot of fighters!

ACA Neo Geo Switch eShop releases - Complete list

Looking at that list and don't know where to start? Then check out our picks of the best ACA NEOGEO games - in no particular order - to get you off on the right foot.

The best Switch ACA Neo Geo games...

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo)

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo)Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo)
Publisher: SNK / Developer: SNK
Release Date: 11th Nov 1999 (USA) / 11th May 2017 (UK/EU)

The first fighter in our picks of Switch's finiest ACA Neo Geo offerings, and it certainly won't be the last. Garou: Mark of the Wolves is a classic of the genre; the perfect fusion of depth and beauty that will appeal to hardened veterans of 2D fighters and button-mashing newbies alike. By 1999 the Neo Geo hardware was nearly a decade old and SNK's mastery of it is in full evidence here. It's one of very few games we'd recommend everybody buy, even those who actively dislike fighters (yes, apparently they exist). This game is just too pretty to miss. We could sit and watch animated gifs of Garou's backgrounds for hours. Essential.

Sengoku 3 (Neo Geo)

Sengoku 3 (Neo Geo)Sengoku 3 (Neo Geo)
Publisher: SNK / Developer: Noise Factory
Release Date: 2001 (USA) / 5th Sep 2013 (UK/EU)

A side-scrolling beat 'em up in the classic mould, Sengoku 3 is a straightforward and satisfying example of a genre that needs little explaining to begin with. With plenty of variety and attacking options, it's a fun blast whether you're playing solo or you've enlisted a friend for the ride. We put it on our list of the best beat 'em ups on Switch, so its inclusion here should be no surprise.

The Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo)

The Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo)The Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo)
Release Date: 25th Nov 1998 (USA) / 6th Dec 2012 (UK/EU)

As with many of the best fighters, seemingly simple mechanics hide a lot of depth and The Last Blade 2 is a fine example. An extremely enjoyable game with fantastic presentation and a host of fighting modes to get stuck into, the balancing of the first entry is arguably better, although the sequel has more characters and options available. Whichever one you go for, you'll be guaranteed a fine-looking fighter with plenty of personality, so you can't really go wrong.

Metal Slug (Neo Geo)

Metal Slug (Neo Geo)Metal Slug (Neo Geo)
Publisher: SNK / Developer: Nazca
Release Date: 1996 (USA) / 9th May 2008 (UK/EU)

If you're looking for an old-school shot of satisfying gameplay without endless options and upgrade systems and RPG-like progression, Metal Slug is the no-nonsense antidote to modern-day complications. It might feel a little too simplistic by modern standards, but there's something about the purity of its approach which makes it an absolute blast and a lovely palette cleansers before diving into something more faceted on Switch. Nazca Corporation's run-and-gun may have debuted in 1996, but it's got the beating heart of an '80s action icon (and a brain to match). Fabulous.

The King of Fighters '98 (Neo Geo)

The King of Fighters '98 (Neo Geo)The King of Fighters '98 (Neo Geo)
Release Date: 23rd Sep 1998 (USA) / 30th May 2013 (UK/EU)

If you're into King of Fighter games, you'll find a whole bunch available on Switch. If we were pushed, The King of Fighters '98 would probably be our pick of the bunch. It's got a huge cast, the same tight, deep gameplay you've come to expect from SNK and is still regarded one of the best fighters ever made well over 20 years since release. Similarly to Garou, we'd buy it just to ogle its visual loveliness.

Waku Waku 7 (Neo Geo)

Waku Waku 7 (Neo Geo)Waku Waku 7 (Neo Geo)
Publisher: Sunsoft
Release Date: 21st Nov 1996 (USA) / 3rd Mar 2017 (UK/EU)

You like fighters, right? If you're reading this list we sure hope so. If you're after something a little unusual, Waku Waku 7 serves up a 2D scrapper decidedly different from umpteen KoFs and Fatal Furies - a welcome break even given the quality of those series. This, too, is a sequel, to 1995's underwhelming Galaxy Fight, but despite a small roster Sunsoft packed this game with spectacularly colourful cartoon visuals and a bunch of in-jokes and irreverent parodies to make it feel fresh and unique in a system library overflowing with quality games in this genre. This was the first game ACA Neo Geo game Hamster brought to Switch and a lovely breath of fresh air.

Blazing Star (Neo Geo)

Blazing Star (Neo Geo)Blazing Star (Neo Geo)
Publisher: SNK / Developer: Yumekobo
Release Date: 19th Feb 1998 (USA) / 2nd May 2017 (UK/EU)

There was a time when Blazing Star was beyond the reach of all but the most affluent gamer, but now anyone with a Switch can download and enjoy this brilliant shmup for the price of a (pricey) pint. The thrill of owning something that was once so inaccessible shouldn't overshadow just how good this game is, though. The difficulty ramps right up towards the end, but if you're a fan of shoot 'em ups, this is a treasure you won't want to be without.

Magical Drop III (Neo Geo)

Magical Drop III (Neo Geo)Magical Drop III (Neo Geo)
Publisher: Data East / Developer: Data East
Release Date: 1995 (USA) / 14th Jan 2011 (UK/EU)

What's this? A Neo Geo game that isn't a fighter? Yes, you might not have expected a puzzle game on this list but despite the shared genres of several entries here, Magical Drop III is a fantastic balloon-firing puzzler that you should definitely investigate. It mde our list of the best puzzle games on Switch and shows that there was more to the Neo Geo library than an endless parade of gorgeous 2D fighters. Puzzle fans should definitely check this out.

Aero Fighters 2 (Neo Geo)

Aero Fighters 2 (Neo Geo)Aero Fighters 2 (Neo Geo)
Publisher: SNK / Developer: Video System
Release Date: 1994 (USA) / 3rd Aug 2017 (UK/EU)

A vertical shooter (you know, for variety), Aero Fighters 2 is an easy recommendation thanks to its varied locales, multiple piloting options, large roster of enemies entertaining boss battles and multiple endings. Throw in 2-player and the usual Hi-Score and Caravan modes and what's not to like? The sequel is also available, although with its fixed-pairings for 2-player mode we'd download Aero Fighters 2 first and go from there.

Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo)

Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo)Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo)
Release Date: 28th Oct 1994 (USA) / 8th Aug 2008 (UK/EU)

Still one of the best fighters available on the console (and there are a fair few to choose from now, if the list above has whetted your appetite), Samurai Shodown II improved on the original with new fighters and tweaks and fine-tuning to the mechanics to accompany the already stonkingly lovely sprite work. This should be in your library, whether you life fighters or not. Yes, we realise that's the third time we've recommended a fighting game to non-fighting fans. They're just so purdy!

Ah, how we love that SNK artwork; all those grins and round chins! Thank you for scrolling to the very bottom. With so many games to choose from we're just scratching the surface with the games above. Let us know which of Hamster's ACA Neo Geo games you've most enjoyed--and which ones you'd avoid--with a cheeky comment below.

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

■新商品情報■ KOF'95と'96のクッションが登場

ROMカセットを忠実に再現したクッションは、ソファーにも畳にも置くだけでお部屋がPOPになるアイテムです

おうちのおこもり用に、ごろ寝にも最適

#草薙京展 #草薙京 #KOF #SNK #INDOR
Translated from Japanese by
■ New product information ■ Introducing KOF '95 and '96 cushions

The cushion that faithfully reproduces the ROM cassette is an item that makes your room pop just by placing it on the sofa or tatami mat.

Ideal for sleeping at home

#草薙京展#草薙京#KOF#SNK#INDOR

Anthony..

• Like 2

Hi guys,

■商品情報■日本チームアクリルスタンド KOF'94,'96,'97,'98の歴代イラストのアクリルスタンドです。 #草薙京 と言えば、異種格闘技戦で闘った紅丸・大門とのチーム結成が全ての始まり。その思いからチームのアクリルスタンドを作りました。 台座にもこだわっています!! #草薙京展 #KOF #SNK #INDOR
■ Product information ■ Japan team acrylic stand Acrylic stand of successive illustrations of KOF'94, '96, '97, '98. #草薙京 Speaking of which, the formation of a team with Benimaru and Daimon who fought in different types of fighting was the beginning of everything. With that in mind, I made an acrylic stand for the team. We are particular about the pedestal !! #草薙京展#KOF#SNK#INDOR

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

庵と京のバトルがあなたの足の上で⁉︎ ANIPPONからアメコミ風の絵柄がとっても可愛い靴を販売しています!普段の格好にワンポイントとしていかがですか? スタッフの私はメガドライブ柄のANIPPONを履いていますが履き心地も悪くないですよ

SNKコーナーにて販売しています

#akibaTVG
The battle between hermitage and Kyoto is on your feet

︎ ANIPPON sells shoes with very cute American comic style patterns! How about as a point for your everyday appearance? As a staff member, I wear ANIPPON with a mega drive pattern, but it's not too comfortable to wear.

Sold at the SNK corner

#akibaTVG

Anthony..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

Guide: Every ACA Neo Geo Game On Nintendo Switch, Plus Our Top Picks

A complete list of Hamster's ACA Neo Geo Switch titles

Best ACA NEOGEO Games

Much like Hamster's Arcade Archives series, the company's line of Neo Geo titles - which goes by the bespoke title 'ACA NEOGEO' to separate it from the rest - has been a regular fixture of the weekly Nintendo Switch eShop download lists. With over a hundred releases under the ACA banner, Hamster has done sterling work getting these games on Switch and into the hands of fans who may never have experienced them before.

SNK's Neo Geo was a beautiful system that fused arcade and home console hardware, but at a cost. The significant financial outlay require for Neo Geo ownership meant it was out of reach of the average gamer back in the day. Fortunately, the games below will cost you a fraction of what they originally sold for and come with a multitude of presentation options to tailor the experience to your liking on Switch.

Below we've listed every ACA Neo Geo release available on Switch eShop to date and it will be updated as new titles are released. The games are displayed in alphabetical order, although you can go to our games database and sort by Release Date or User Rating.

Please note that the Arcade Archive releases are NOT included here - check out our separate guide for Arcade Archive games on Switch for more info on Hamster's non-Neo Geo Switch gems. And if this huge list is overwhelming, you'll find our picks of the best ACA Neo Geo games on Switch at the bottom. No prizes for guessing it contains a lot of fighters!

ACA Neo Geo Switch eShop releases - Complete list

Looking at that list and don't know where to start? Then check out our picks of the best ACA NEOGEO games - in no particular order - to get you off on the right foot.

The best Switch ACA Neo Geo games...

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo)

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo)Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo)
Release Date: 11th Nov 1999 (USA) / 11th May 2017 (UK/EU)

The first fighter in our picks of Switch's finiest ACA Neo Geo offerings, and it certainly won't be the last. Garou: Mark of the Wolves is a classic of the genre; the perfect fusion of depth and beauty that will appeal to hardened veterans of 2D fighters and button-mashing newbies alike. By 1999 the Neo Geo hardware was nearly a decade old and SNK's mastery of it is in full evidence here. It's one of very few games we'd recommend everybody buy, even those who actively dislike fighters (yes, apparently they exist). This game is just too pretty to miss. We could sit and watch animated gifs of Garou's backgrounds for hours. Essential.

Sengoku 3 (Neo Geo)

Sengoku 3 (Neo Geo)Sengoku 3 (Neo Geo)
Publisher: SNK / Developer: Noise Factory
Release Date: 2001 (USA) / 5th Sep 2013 (UK/EU)

A side-scrolling beat 'em up in the classic mould, Sengoku 3 is a straightforward and satisfying example of a genre that needs little explaining to begin with. With plenty of variety and attacking options, it's a fun blast whether you're playing solo or you've enlisted a friend for the ride. We put it on our list of the best beat 'em ups on Switch, so its inclusion here should be no surprise.

The Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo)

The Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo)The Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo)
Release Date: 25th Nov 1998 (USA) / 6th Dec 2012 (UK/EU)

As with many of the best fighters, seemingly simple mechanics hide a lot of depth and The Last Blade 2 is a fine example. An extremely enjoyable game with fantastic presentation and a host of fighting modes to get stuck into, the balancing of the first entry is arguably better, although the sequel has more characters and options available. Whichever one you go for, you'll be guaranteed a fine-looking fighter with plenty of personality, so you can't really go wrong.

Metal Slug (Neo Geo)

Metal Slug (Neo Geo)Metal Slug (Neo Geo)
Publisher: SNK / Developer: Nazca
Release Date: 1996 (USA) / 9th May 2008 (UK/EU)

If you're looking for an old-school shot of satisfying gameplay without endless options and upgrade systems and RPG-like progression, Metal Slug is the no-nonsense antidote to modern-day complications. It might feel a little too simplistic by modern standards, but there's something about the purity of its approach which makes it an absolute blast and a lovely palette cleansers before diving into something more faceted on Switch. Nazca Corporation's run-and-gun may have debuted in 1996, but it's got the beating heart of an '80s action icon (and a brain to match). Fabulous.

The King of Fighters '98 (Neo Geo)

The King of Fighters '98 (Neo Geo)The King of Fighters '98 (Neo Geo)
Release Date: 23rd Sep 1998 (USA) / 30th May 2013 (UK/EU)

If you're into King of Fighter games, you'll find a whole bunch available on Switch. If we were pushed, The King of Fighters '98 would probably be our pick of the bunch. It's got a huge cast, the same tight, deep gameplay you've come to expect from SNK and is still regarded one of the best fighters ever made well over 20 years since release. Similarly to Garou, we'd buy it just to ogle its visual loveliness.

Waku Waku 7 (Neo Geo)

Waku Waku 7 (Neo Geo)Waku Waku 7 (Neo Geo)
Publisher: Sunsoft
Release Date: 21st Nov 1996 (USA) / 3rd Mar 2017 (UK/EU)

You like fighters, right? If you're reading this list we sure hope so. If you're after something a little unusual, Waku Waku 7 serves up a 2D scrapper decidedly different from umpteen KoFs and Fatal Furies - a welcome break even given the quality of those series. This, too, is a sequel, to 1995's underwhelming Galaxy Fight, but despite a small roster Sunsoft packed this game with spectacularly colourful cartoon visuals and a bunch of in-jokes and irreverent parodies to make it feel fresh and unique in a system library overflowing with quality games in this genre. This was the first game ACA Neo Geo game Hamster brought to Switch and a lovely breath of fresh air.

Blazing Star (Neo Geo)

Blazing Star (Neo Geo)Blazing Star (Neo Geo)
Publisher: SNK / Developer: Yumekobo
Release Date: 19th Feb 1998 (USA) / 2nd May 2017 (UK/EU)

There was a time when Blazing Star was beyond the reach of all but the most affluent gamer, but now anyone with a Switch can download and enjoy this brilliant shmup for the price of a (pricey) pint. The thrill of owning something that was once so inaccessible shouldn't overshadow just how good this game is, though. The difficulty ramps right up towards the end, but if you're a fan of shoot 'em ups, this is a treasure you won't want to be without.

Magical Drop III (Neo Geo)

Magical Drop III (Neo Geo)Magical Drop III (Neo Geo)
Publisher: Data East / Developer: Data East
Release Date: 1995 (USA) / 14th Jan 2011 (UK/EU)

What's this? A Neo Geo game that isn't a fighter? Yes, you might not have expected a puzzle game on this list but despite the shared genres of several entries here, Magical Drop III is a fantastic balloon-firing puzzler that you should definitely investigate. It mde our list of the best puzzle games on Switch and shows that there was more to the Neo Geo library than an endless parade of gorgeous 2D fighters. Puzzle fans should definitely check this out.

Aero Fighters 2 (Neo Geo)

Aero Fighters 2 (Neo Geo)Aero Fighters 2 (Neo Geo)
Publisher: SNK / Developer: Video System
Release Date: 1994 (USA) / 3rd Aug 2017 (UK/EU)

A vertical shooter (you know, for variety), Aero Fighters 2 is an easy recommendation thanks to its varied locales, multiple piloting options, large roster of enemies entertaining boss battles and multiple endings. Throw in 2-player and the usual Hi-Score and Caravan modes and what's not to like? The sequel is also available, although with its fixed-pairings for 2-player mode we'd download Aero Fighters 2 first and go from there.

Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo)

Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo)Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo)
Release Date: 28th Oct 1994 (USA) / 8th Aug 2008 (UK/EU)

Still one of the best fighters available on the console (and there are a fair few to choose from now, if the list above has whetted your appetite), Samurai Shodown II improved on the original with new fighters and tweaks and fine-tuning to the mechanics to accompany the already stonkingly lovely sprite work. This should be in your library, whether you life fighters or not. Yes, we realise that's the third time we've recommended a fighting game to non-fighting fans. They're just so purdy!

Ah, how we love that SNK artwork; all those grins and round chins! Thank you for scrolling to the very bottom. With so many games to choose from we're just scratching the surface with the games above. Let us know which of Hamster's ACA Neo Geo games you've most enjoyed--and which ones you'd avoid--with a cheeky comment below.

Anthony..

This was one hellavu post.  Very informative to say the least and it is good to see the Switch have so many classic Neo Geo titles.  Definitely one can do a crap ton of retro gaming on the Switch, that's for sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi Paul, Chris, Mark, Johnny, Ammar, Noel, Seguei, Pancho, Ryan, Allan, John.

Thank you for such for the replies and a special thank you for all that you help contribute. Always a pleasure to see you fellas on and posting away here on the Neo-Geo thread and though out Atariage. Keep up the great work guys.  ;-)

Anthony...

You are more than welcome as I believe I can speak (a lot at least) for everyone that we are very much appreciative for all of your posts and we look forward to seeing many, many more to come.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hwlngmad said:

You are more than welcome as I believe I can speak (a lot at least) for everyone that we are very much appreciative for all of your posts and we look forward to seeing many, many more to come.

I second that, a tremendous effort in keeping us all well informed and creating a welcome environment to discuss.

• Like 2

Thank you Anthony for all the great work you have done with this thread! There's been a lot of great info and insight regarding the Neo Geo family here. To another million views and beyond!

On 1/5/2021 at 2:18 AM, fdurso224 said:

Sincerely,

fdurso224 

(Anthony) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeoPancho said:

Oh... the KOF XV and the new SS fighters presentation got delayed with no new date ?

I just read about this, strange things afoot.  Apparently all communication seemed to suggest it was all going ahead, right until the last minute.

Change of strategy at the last minute?  Who knows.

• Like 1

The long and rambling story of when I decided to get my first 'real' Neo Geo:

For some background, the story starts off, of all places, in early 2003 with a $400 PalmOS handheld game console called the Tapwave Zodiac. It was just about to launch, and for whatever reason I was super-jazzed about this stupid thing. I talked about it all the time, and it was going to game way harder than my pocket PC, (or something.) At the time I was in the Navy, stationed at Point Mugu, and as many in the area did, the wife and I semi-frequently went to Las Vegas to enjoy ourselves. 

One of the things the wife liked to do in Vegas was go to the MGM Grand and do a TV show focus group.  This was slightly odd, since she was the one who was firmly against us having TV in the house.  Anyway, this time around the show pilot we watched (which I don't think ever came out) was a 'reality' show about young couples having to budget, seemingly for the first time, to meet some silly goal.

Enter this young Asian couple (in Chicago? IIRC), who rented too far from where the female worked so she had a long commute. But there was a deal at the time, where she could drive solo in the carpool lane if she was driving one of those fancy new hybrid cars--so buying one of those formed their financial goal. They did an assortment of real basic, 'budgety' belt-tightening, and mid-way through the episode, the male helps one of his friends move for "some extra money." Turns out he didn't get any extra money, because instead of cash payment, he accepted an arcade cab, I believe a neo geo, and was shown happily cleaning the internals with the control panel open. She then told him to sell it, while really playing up the naggyness in her tone.  Like an early 20's Asian woman trying her best Marge Simpson performance, and in return, he shot her glare of seemingly genuine hatred.

I leaned over to the wife saying something along the lines of 'no way he'll sell it' or 'he'd sell her off first,' and sure enough that was the last time the arcade machine was mentioned or pictured anywhere in that episode. If any of it was real, he certainly kept it. But the couple aside, my heart grew three sizes that day. I had the sudden, strong realization that for the same money I was about to blow on a stupid Palm Pilot, I could have a real Neo Geo arcade cabinet--far better than my NGCD or NGP (non-color) which I would have had at the time.

In the viewer questionnaire, I may or may not have written something to the effect that 'the show pilot completely changed my life and saved me from wasting a bunch of money.'  I probably didn't, because it's too over the top to be believable, but that's actually what happened. To this day, I do not own a Tapwave Zodiac, despite owning just about everything else, that's the one system I'm kind of proud not to have in my collection.

hBzivhN.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2