IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

北米版PS4ソフト「The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match 」が数量限定で販売! 「THE KING OF FIGHTERS'98」がさらに進化して登場! さらにセット商品(Collector's Edition)も同時発売! なくなり次第終了となりますのでお見逃しなく! https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=+Ultimate+Match+ps4 #SNK #KOF98
Translated from Japanese by
North American PS4 software "The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match" is on sale in limited quantities! "THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98" has evolved further! In addition, a set product (Collector's Edition) will be released at the same time! It will end as soon as it runs out, so don't miss it! https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=+Ultimate+Match+ps4 #SNK#KOF98

Anthony..

Hi guys,

『1月生まれキャラ誕生祭 # タグツイートキャンペーン』は、そろそろ後半戦! 1月後半もギース様をはじめとする、魅力的なキャラクターが誕生日を迎えますので、是非「#1月SNKキャラ誕生祭」を入れてお祝いしてあげてくださいね
"January-born character birthday festival #tag tweet campaign" is about to enter the second half! In the latter half of January, attractive characters such as Geese will celebrate their birthday, so please do not miss it.#1月SNKキャラ誕生祭 Please put in and congratulate

Quote Tweet

prHxAtf7_mini.jpg

SNKエンタテインメント公式

@snk_enter
· Jan 3
\1月生まれの #SNK キャラをお祝いしよう

/ このアカウントをフォローして「#1月SNKキャラ誕生祭」を入れてツイート! 抽選で、NEOGEO miniと誕生日記念イラストグッズ、1500円分のQUOカードが1名様に当たります

キャンペーンは1/31(月)まで♪ https://snk-onlineshop.com/topics_detail.html?info_id=312

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Back again with Rex the Sheep. After posting the NintendoLife article of Takara's works of Neo-Geo titles on the Game Boy, I thought it would be cool to repost this excellent video. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"You thought Neo Geo Pocket Color was the only way to enjoy SNK's arcade hits on the go? You may be surprised to hear the Game Boy was doing Neo Geo fighters justice years before the Neo Geo Pocket debuted. Turns out these ports are pretty good! I present to you: Takara's Nettō (Nettou) Dead Heat Fighters series, featuring Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, The King of Fighters, and more! Massive thanks to Dana for helping me record supplemental footage for this video."

Anthony..

7 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

Back again with Rex the Sheep. After posting the NintendoLife article of Takara's works of Neo-Geo titles on the Game Boy, I thought it would be cool to repost this excellent video. Enjoy. :)

Anthony..

I liked way more the video than the article, aside of showing the games (and more of them) it gives a lot more of information.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in checking the differences between the 2 SNK Heroines Art Books...

https://www.neopancho.net/wp_english/2021/01/17/snk-heroines-battle-of-art-books/

IMG_20210116_163943_OK.jpg

• Like 1

@fdurso224 Agreed.  The kid doing the video on those Takara games is bit confused, kind of a dope when he's taking digs at some of the games.  I think it's entirely up to his mood from having any lack of skill playing those games vs them having slow this, overly detailed that.  Setting SS1 as the bar and saying the others are lesser is idiotic.  At least they're exposed to view on the video but the commentary is wrong.

@NeoPancho True enough. SS1 was the earliest example as was the lousy FF2 which thankfully we didn't get.  SS1 setup the correct formula going forward and then the next after added to it with some added color variation (over the 4 shades SS1 only used) with a border.  From there later did get the audio levels that progressed as you said.  SS3 is such a great treat, but the one we in the US got screwed out of KOF96 (or Heat of Battle in english in the UK) is where it really topped out as the audio was even better, more of it, more sound effect, more increased color variance as well, and a solid large roster.  The only thing to better it, we didn't get, and it wasn't SNK, it was that Transformers Beast Wars I mentioned as it does the SGB stuff sure, but on a GBC the color tables are stunning, and the added power made for an even larger diverse roster.

Look up the heat of battle (kof 96 eur GB on youtube, someone has to have sampled it.)

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ohfivepro said:

Let's beat SamSho 1 using only Heavy Slash attacks (A+B buttons combined)

Hopefully the video link works here as YT video links seem to all be broken on Twitter just now

The video works perfectly Paul. We're always in the mood for Samurai Shodown. I and II are my favorites in the series. :)

Anthony..

11 hours ago, NeoPancho said:

I liked way more the video than the article, aside of showing the games (and more of them) it gives a lot more of information.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in checking the differences between the 2 SNK Heroines Art Books...

https://www.neopancho.net/wp_english/2021/01/17/snk-heroines-battle-of-art-books/

I agree Pancho. It gives the game more justice. Nice comparision pics of the SNK Heroines Art Books from you bro. I still think it's a great game. Would really like to see more women playing games though. To this day, I still see hardly any that play. 

Anthony..

On 1/13/2021 at 6:44 PM, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

The 3 Neo Geo games I own, I would love to buy more but they do come with a hefty price tag. They definitely are a good investment though #neogeo #SNK #RETROGAMING #retrogames #retrogamer

Anthony..

Fatal Fury Special is very underrated

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【MSA お知らせ】 本日より1月24日まで新イベント「TASK FORCE 12th」を開催中! ステージをクリアして「フローズンボルテックス」やステータス強化アイテムをゲット! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210117_01yn04s.html
[MSA Notice] A new event "TASK FORCE 12th" is being held from today to January 24th! Clear the stage and get "Frozen Vortex" and status enhancement items! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210117_01yn04s.html

Anthony,.

Hi guys,

【MSA 更新情報】 新規ユニット「ザハラ」を追加しました! 1月24日まで開放されるキャンペーンボックスクランクから獲得できます! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210116_03ptt94.html
[MSA update information] A new unit "Zahara" has been added! You can get it from the campaign box crank that will be open until January 24th! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20210116_03ptt94.html

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Back with Scarlet Sprites with a cool mod backlight installment video for his NGPC unit. Really cool to see this. I wouldn't mind doing this myself. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"At long last I decided to take the plunge a buy the backlit LCD mod for SNK's Neo Geo Pocket Color (NGPC). In this video I'll review how to install the Neo Geo Pocket Color's backlight LCD mod and briefly discuss an alternative."

Anthony...

On 1/16/2021 at 10:13 PM, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

Feature: How Takara Brought SNK's Arcade Fighters To The Humble Game Boy

Battery-powered brawlers

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/01/feature_how_takara_brought_snks_arcade_fighters_to_the_humble_game_boy

SNK Takara Game Boy Fighters

Between 1994 and 1998 Takara Co., Ltd. brought some of SNK's most successful Neo Geo arcade hits — Samurai Shodown, The King of Fighters, and Fatal Fury 2 — to the humble Game Boy via a series of 'demakes'; streamlined and simplified releases of the infinitely more powerful arcade originals rebuilt from the ground up exclusively for Nintendo's world-conquering handheld.

A quick glance over some screenshots reveals a strong similarity to SNK's fantastic Neo Geo Pocket Collection of fighters as both share a preference for clean lines, big pixels, and cartoonish graphics over a vague stab at crunchy arcade Neo Geo stylings. But these Game Boy titles by-and-large predate SNK's own portable efforts by several years and officially include one major feature their Neo Geo Pocket neighbours lacked until modern-day emulation stepped in: single-cartridge multiplayer support.

You need a Super Game Boy to access it but if you've got one at home, Takara's games not only display pretty borders and colourised character portraits, they also allow a friend to play against you using nothing more complicated than a second SNES pad.

Fatal Fury 2 GB (18)© SNK
KoF95GB (23)© SNK

But how good can these ports really be? The Neo Geo was famed for its graphical prowess; there's just no way battery-powered hardware that could only handle four shades of green was ever going to come close to the look of the the originals. Cleverly, the developer's didn't even try and instead hoped to capture the spirit of the games they were porting rather than aiming for a level of accuracy they could never hope to achieve — they aimed to represent rather than recreate.

Thanks to this novel approach everything from Ukyo's cough to Joe's Tiger Kick and Ryo's distinctive fighting stance are still instantly recognisable even though their entire bodies are made up of fewer pixels than their arcade equivalents spent on someone's hair (probably). Samurai Shodown's flag-brandishing referee is still present (and working) even if they have to be squeezed in between health bars at the top of the screen, and although these handheld titles were never going to have mid-battle speech samples, Nettou Garou Densetsu 2 (AKA the Game Boy port of Fatal Fury 2) gets around this limitation in the most adorable way possible by giving each character little speech bubbles instead. Seeing Terry 'say' "HEY COME ON" as he taunts his opponent is a lot of fun on the Game Boy's small screen, even if it is, strictly-speaking, 'wrong'.

Embellishing these battles are miniaturised takes on all victory poses, character portraits, minor touches and fantastic full-screen artwork you're already familiar with, the developers well aware that SNK's arcade games are brought to life not just by raw quality but fine detail, too. It's just incredible to think how they were able to have Nakoruru's faithful hawk Mamahaha and Galford's dog Poppy present on screen at all times, or for a squished-down port of Samurai Shodown III to bring the beauty of the Neo Geo's lantern-lit cherry blossom stage to on-the-go gaming at a time when portable colour screens — though available — were a battery-devouring joke.

Inevitably, compromises had to be made along the way, and some characters were lost in the transition to Nintendo's thin grey carts. It is disappointing but on balance it would be unreasonable to expect a Game Boy cartridge — their files sizes so small that there's a very real chance you've casually snapped single Switch screenshots that take up more memory space — to faithfully reproduce every member of every game's cast, especially when some of them, such as The King of Fighters '96, have well over twenty different participants in their arcade versions.

Samurai Shodown 3 GB (39)© SNK
Samurai Shodown GB (2)© SNK
Real Bout Special GB (11)
KoF96GB (40)© SNK

Although the rosters have been trimmed down, the characters available are unlikely to leave anyone feeling short-changed, offering anything up to fifteen fighters by default and a few unlockable bonus faces too, from good old playable bosses to unexpected crossover characters from other games. You'll find The King of Fighter's Iori squirreled away in Nettou Real Bout Special (the GB version of Real Bout Fatal Fury Special), and Samurai Shodown's protector of nature Nakoruru within the Game Boy port of The King of Fighters '95. Their presence may not entirely make up for what was lost in translation, but there's still a certain specialness around playing as someone you feel you were never supposed to have at all — a true extra rather than just one more person pulled from a box-ticking list of expected features.

Once you've decided what to play and who to play through it as (or which team to play through it as in the case of The King of Fighters), the only thing left to do is dive in and get on with pummelling a game's worth of opposition into submission. Experienced SNK players will find the first few battles flying by on muscle memory alone, the Game Boy's two-button system doing an admirable job of standing in for Neo Geo's four and making special moves, rage gauge charges, taunts and Real Bout's retained ability to shift lanes — something SNK didn't manage to keep in their own handheld port — a breeze. The end result is consistently fluid gameplay that, just like the graphics, accurately captures the sensation of their arcade equivalents' throws, slashes, and fiery punches. It's pick-up-and-play action that, appropriately enough, always feels like it's punching above the humble Game Boy's weight.

Which ones would we recommend from the ones we've mentioned? Well, all of them, really — they're all remarkably faithful to the amazing arcade games they came from in their own miniaturised ways, and even though some of these are Japanese exclusives, much of the menu and setting text is still in English, and the rest will only take a few jabs of the 'A' button to get through. Most importantly of all, they're different enough to be worth a look even if you've already long exhausted the Switch's impressive range of arcade and pocket-sized Neo Geo titles. They're good quality portable fighters whether you're familiar with the source or not, making fantastic use of limited hardware and fitting the pick-up-and-play nature of the Game Boy like a glove.

Fatal Fury 2 Game Boy© SNK

Anthony...

At last I've found the thread. Copy/paste of what I've said before in status updates I have KOF 96 for Gameboy and KOF R-2, both complete set (box/papers) and spanish/EU versions:

The official ports in NGP of KOF were more similar to the originals and the combos were very much the same, but a lot slower paced (framerate issues maybe?), still, they were different. That's why I simply say that Takara and NGP ports are equally great. One is fast paced and with new combos, the other is more faithful and better graphically but gameplay is much slower.

Try them if you can, NGP is a GREAT system. I had mine when it was selling fresh in Spain, and I was fortunate enough to get Sonic Pocket Adventure (JAP release) with box and manuals quite cheap in its day. Now prices have risen....

Also, I add something: You can actually do very cool combos with Leona just with kicks and some special attacks like the Grand Sabre :)  it's a good feature that they tried to actually do SOMETHING DIFFERENT adapted to that hardware. It's the era when console ports were different, crazy...and totally worth. The other example we can find like this was the Turok saga for Gameboy, done by the way by Bit Managers, a videogame company stablished in its day in Barcelona, my home city (proud of them!), and had a totally kickass chiptune soundtrack by Jose Alberto Gonzalez ("Joe McAlby").

Edited by KD-0082
forgot a detail to add
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KD-0082 said:

Hi KD,

Thank you for posting on the Neo-Geo thread here on Atariage. I see that you're also a new member here on the forums. Welcome aboard and glad to have you on with us. We look forward on seeing post away with us bro. :waving:

Glad that you enjoy the Takara NeoGeo titles on the Game Boy when we had that discusion on the status update. So many will agree with us that they were fun and well made for sure. After the article was posted, I had to take my collection out to play them. Well worth doing so to relive those fond memories for sure. :)

Ah, so you're a NGP/C fan as well. A superb choice for sure. Such an underrated We agree with you on being great. I remember buying mine on launch date at Toys R Us. I still have the unit and works like it came out of the box brand new. Same here. I purchased Sonic Pocket Adventure on that day as well. Still think it's one of the best titles to play on it, and the next day later, I purchased Pac-Man. 

And you purchased it in Spain? Barcelona?  Excellent KD. I believe one of our members @NeoPancho is from Spain as well. I went to Barcelona in my teens. One of my favorites in sightseeing was traveling to the historical churches there. The Barcelona Cathedral, The Basílica de la Sagrada Família, Templo Expiatorio del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús, and Sant Pau del Camp...WOW! What beauties and amazing what man can create with their own two hands. They left an everlasting impression on me that will last my whole life. :) 

Anyway, were glad to have you on with us KD. We look forward on viewing your postings on the Neo-Geo thread tell us more about your other interest in Neo-Geo and SNK related titles and units that you like to share with us. Thank you again bro. Keep up the great work for sure. :)

Anthony...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi KD,

Thank you for posting on the Neo-Geo thread here on Atariage. I see that you're also a new member here on the forums. Welcome aboard and glad to have you on with us. We look forward on seeing post away with us bro. :waving:

Glad that you enjoy the Takara NeoGeo titles on the Game Boy when we had that discusion on the status update. So many will agree with us that they were fun and well made for sure. After the article was posted, I had to take my collection out to play them. Well worth doing so to relive those fond memories for sure. :)

Ah, so you're a NGP/C fan as well. A superb choice for sure. Such an underrated We agree with you on being great. I remember buying mine on launch date at Toys R Us. I still have the unit and works like it came out of the box brand new. Same here. I purchased Sonic Pocket Adventure on that day as well. Still think it's one of the best titles to play on it, and the next day later, I purchased Pac-Man. 

And you purchased it in Spain? Barcelona?  Excellent KD. I believe one of our members @NeoPancho is from Spain as well. I went to Barcelona in my teens. One of my favorites in sightseeing was traveling to the historical churches there. The Barcelona Cathedral, The Basílica de la Sagrada Família, Templo Expiatorio del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús, and Sant Pau del Camp...WOW! What beauties and amazing what man can create with their own two hands. They left an everlasting impression on me that will last my whole life. :) 

Anyway, were glad to have you on with us KD. We look forward on viewing your postings on the Neo-Geo thread tell us more about your other interest in Neo-Geo and SNK related titles and units that you like to share with us. Thank you again bro. Keep up the great work for sure. :)

Anthony...

Thanks for the welcome man!

Yes, I'm a NGP/C gamer, but I collect (casually, not completionist) many other systems as well. My actual "casual collection" includes NDS, GameCube, Saturn, Dreamcast (still needs to start, have the console only, boxed), Mega Drive (Genesis on your country), Gameboy (specially the original DMG-001 games I've played in my childhood), and I would like to start Atari 2600 and recover my first machine: ZX Spectrum 48k.

Nice to see you had a nice time here. Hope some day will be possible again ;)

Thanks again. I also like Neo Geo AES/MVS. I was a serious KOF player in early/mid 2000's. Still love KOF98, 99,2000 and my new love is Samurai Showdown/Spirits. Loved the traditional feel of that saga.

See you here, man!

Edited by KD-0082
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KD-0082 said:

Thanks for the welcome man!

Yes, I'm a NGP/C gamer, but I collect (casually, not completionist) many other systems as well. My actual "casual collection" includes NDS, GameCube, Saturn, Dreamcast (still needs to start, have the console only, boxed), Mega Drive (Genesis on your country), Gameboy (specially the original DMG-001 games I've played in my childhood), and I would like to start Atari 2600 and recover my first machine: ZX Spectrum 48k.

Nice to see you had a nice time here. Hope some day will be possible again ;)

Thanks again. I also like Neo Geo AES/MVS. I was a serious KOF player in early/mid 2000's. Still love KOF98, 99,2000 and my new love is Samurai Showdown/Spirits. Loved the traditional feel of that saga.

See you here, man!

You're very welcome KD. Were glad to have you on with us. Nice size collection of units you have in the collection. Saturn as lots of great Neo-Geo ports that I'm trying to collect for. The Mega Drive (Genesis) is a timeless classic. Dreamcast is great. i love the that unit, and the Atari 2600 is always fun to start a collection for. :)

Glad you like the Neo-Geo AES/MVS and were a hardcor KOF player. One of these days, we need to see your skills in action KD. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

We have listened to your requests! On Jan 25th we will open pre-orders for our NeoSD PRO AES / MVS. ATTENTION!

The pre-order period will end on Feb 25th! Once the period is over, the #NeoSDPRO carts will ship in about 8 weeks. Stay tuned for upcoming posts! #terraonion #neogeo

Anthony..

• Thanks 1